input on a new pin

Author
jeeters
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/16 21:17:55 (permalink)

input on a new pin

Last year was my first season with the pin and I'm thinking about upgrading my reel I am thinking of either a ross or raven vectra.I like the okuma I have but would like to try a higher end reel . Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

13 Replies Related Threads

Ditchrat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/08/16 21:30:37 (permalink)
    The raven sst2 and sst3 are both solid reels.  I have them both and am happy fishing them.

Ditch
    Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/08/17 03:11:18 (permalink)
    I have a raven SST love it. Sold reel start up is awesome spins forever.

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/08/17 10:16:38 (permalink)
    I have the new ross and fished it for about 6 months.  You would be better to go with a raven imo. 

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/08/17 20:29:58 (permalink)
    SST3.... like mine enough to recommend it
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/08/17 22:52:48 (permalink)
    I'm no centerpin collector, but here are the 3 I own and my opinions.

Raven Vectra - A very solid reel. I purchased it for $250 brand new from FishUSA. It handles a beating and spins well. No problems yet.

J.W. Young Heritage - A more expensive reel with a great look. See my signature for a pic. I didn't pay for it, but it retails around $550 U.S. dollars (I believe). I believe you would be paying for the good looks of this reel more than performance. It does spin longer than the Raven, but the minimal difference and extra $300 is not worth it in my opinion.

Okuma Aventa - A buddy of mine in England said he found a Japanese centerpin reel that spun longer and easier than any other reel he has used. Which is more than most people would ever think about owning. He sent it to me, and wouldn't you know it....it's the piece of crap Aventa. I spooled it up with backing and line and fished it this past winter in NY. To be honest, it's a phenominal reel, and spins JUST AS GOOD, if not better, as my other two. I actually use it more than the others.  

Out of my three, covering most price points, they all perform almost exactly the same. Not enough to make a difference on the stream.

If you want the Raven, I highly recommend you getting one. But I now also highly recommend getting an Aventa and Heritage

I'd personally use the money for terminal tackle or a new rod.

Best,
    Fisher

jeeters
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/08/18 00:11:36 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for all the info , I'll probably go with one of the raven reels .I do love my okuma but would like to have a second reel in case of emergencys.I fish around 80 days a year for steel so I have a good chance of wearing something out or breaking something. 
    18andlife
    • Total Posts : 117
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/08/18 07:42:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jeeters

Thanks guys for all the info , I'll probably go with one of the raven reels .I do love my okuma but would like to have a second reel in case of emergencys.I fish around 80 days a year for steel so I have a good chance of wearing something out or breaking something. 

Get an Islander... Look around ebay and other boards, you can probably pick a nice used one up for 200 or so. Then you will never have to worry about wearing something out or breaking something. those reels are tanks and probably one of the best made reels out there.
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/08/18 18:34:34 (permalink)
    Islander are very good reels, little heavy but like 18 said a tank very dependable reel as well. Nice reel for the money.

GoState!
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/09/05 14:55:06 (permalink)
    If you want to be the first kid on the block to have a center pin with a drag that doesn't cost you an important body part then check out the Okuma Sheffield Sirata.  FishUSA is one of the first retailers to get them and they have a few now but they probably won't last long so check it out!

http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-Sheffield-Sirata-SRT-1002-Center-Pin-Disk-Drag-Reel_p.html

pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/09/05 15:09:44 (permalink)
    Just wondering why would you want a drag for. I have been pinning for like 9 years and yet have i needed a drag. I could see maybe if you was fishing kings or something like that but i haven't ever even came close to a steel running like a king.  If you have proper control of the reel i wouldn't see reason for a drag just my opinion. Please don't take it too heart just what i think. Kinda pricey for a sheffeild. Could get a nice islander or raven for that type of cash.

Roy D. Mercer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/09/06 00:46:00 (permalink)
    I say the same. Why would you want a drag? I fished a Ang Spec that a freind had, and didn't care for the additional weight or drag on the reel. To each his own though...  Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that any decent King would quickly turn any dragged pin reel into a non-drag model in a hurry. Those big b-stards are downright brutal on equipment. They don't call em' KINGS for nuthin'! Bring on the boots.
    Roy D. Mercer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/09/06 00:50:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jeeters

Last year was my first season with the pin and I'm thinking about upgrading my reel I am thinking of either a ross or raven vectra.I like the okuma I have but would like to try a higher end reel . Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Take the mod's advise, and look into an Islander. Some good deals out there, and with that reel, you suar as hell don't have to worry about breakin it. May like it, may not, but I would definately give it a close look for the money.   
    anadromous fly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: input on a new pin 2008/09/23 20:53:24 (permalink)
    Something that I don't think that has been addressed yet is what kind of casting and fishing are you most comfortable with. If you are a spinning side cast only guy it would not matter much but if you did the cary cast or walis cast then I would go with the Islander steelheader or raven sst3. If you were fishing a 11'-12' rod I would say the sst-3. The longer rods feel better balanced in my opinion with the weight of the steelheader.

Anadromous FLY
    Please practice catch and release.
    Tony MO
    916-897-0321

Jump to: