catfish season

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/22 21:20:00 (permalink)

catfish season

I read the catfish can handle warm water better than most gamefish, I am going for shoreline catfishing somewhere. Hopefully this coming weekend, it has been too warm and I like it much better by the pool and here in the a/c. Anybody do any catfishing? I don't mind big bullheads or better yet channels. I know a few spots for good eating fish i want to try

5 Replies Related Threads

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: catfish season 2008/07/23 04:07:10 (permalink)
    I was talking to a guy up in Whitehall, he said that he had been HAMMERING them right down from my campe on stinking baits!! I have catch them in Watreford before on herring!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: catfish season 2008/07/23 10:35:59 (permalink)
    Me and my friend caught tons of bullheads and channel cats (biggest was about 15 pounds) in the mohwak in waterford in may. but once june hit and it got hot we've had very little luck in that spot. but in may we were using fresh herring chunks which i would use over any bait.
    the frozen herring at bait shops is worthles after it thaws, every cast you hear 2 splashes, one your weight, two your bait.....
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: catfish season 2008/07/23 10:58:17 (permalink)
    yeah perch, the new york sportsman article on catfish say july is a good time.. i've done  catfishing before in the evening summers before but you really still have to be on the right water and at the right time and spots. The mouths of tribs seem like a logical place to set up from shore or any slow deep pools in those river eddies. I do remember catching nice ones during cooler later part of spring live lining sawbellies( herring) from shoreline points in the reservoirs. Funny truth is that these days even cut frozen bait is risky with these weird regulations. I won't take chances for being fined and will buy and get a friggin receipt.. start em live lining and when dead i'll cut into thirds or so..fresh bait is best anyways. if i go i'm will bring night crawlers too.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: catfish season 2008/07/23 11:07:10 (permalink)
    pike, yep may is the best month, i too caught alot a cats that time of year for sure.But this warm water time of year I would have to say if you want a fry, this is whats best to persue and after dark too when they are most active. I remember exactly what your talking about as for those frozen herring.. they look great frozen in the ziplock but after a thaw, especially warm weather, lol,they mush and fly off the hook ,even the hook in the heads! lol , you know that's when they really are decomposing and bad smelling , the cats won't even bite them imo. 
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: catfish season 2008/07/28 10:10:32 (permalink)
    Well, I'm back from about a three day solo fishing expedition. This is what happened,. Knew my area in the roscoe tribs were flood stage, so my plan was to darkside it to the moon on up for a shoreliner through the night at whitney point in pursuite walleye below in the dam and am up by the north boat ramp.. Using floats and shiners me myself and I managed a 10.5 lb.channel catfish. Sorry I honestly wish I had taken along a camera but you know me by now! lol i really want to get one now .. anyway the bait store in a stone throw away.. emptied my ice beer into smaller cooler and brought it over to john the bait store owner for digital  weigh of 10.5lbs. I hooked it 4:30am under a dimmly lit propane lattern and i use a 3 led headlamp for rigging etc. I was supprised after fishing since 10pm. and finally nailing something big on  no.6 eagle claw bait hooks and 8lb. flouro .. i tell you i actually thought i was going to be spooled by a beaver in the dark.. i had to tighten down on my 2000 stradic drag because this fish kept going upstream. Finally though,  I turned it and so glad it was the 8lb. rod and not the other setup with 6lb. suffix mono. otherwise i doubt i would have landed that fish. That was my biggest catfish ever :) lol and no pictures! lol oh well, sleeped the afternoon in shade on the dirt road side of that beautiful lake. Dorchester park is clean, excellent day park for family.. i highly recommend this place for a summer visit. tey had an olympic kayak thing going on. I ate pizza and a greek chicken sandwich in town pizzeria and rode out of town heading east rt.206  about 60 miles to get to pepacton. stayed overnight after backyard lawn work.. fished a bit off shore the lake..sunny warm.. back to camp put the kayak on set up for pond brookie fishing.. headed to a special brooky pond enjoyed the rest of the late pm till dark drifting worms.. no luck though.. from there went in roscoe for a bite and coffee and went to a friends place for the night in neversink.. tried the boat there sunday but too much lightening thunder bs.. i was beat anyway.. that was it! few tiny rockbass and one trophy channel cat.
    Jump to: