Flathead fishing

Author
pin_drifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 253
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/18 15:14:14 (permalink)

Flathead fishing

Hi guys looking for people who know how to fish old ugly. I have been now for awhile and having no luck fishing gills and dams in the deepest pools below the dam and info how i might be able to hook up more be greatly appericated.  I am all ears.  Been fishing the number 7 pool in kittanning Armstrong county. Thanks

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!

11 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/07/18 15:30:02 (permalink)
    I'm no expert, but I get a few.  I fish bluegills, and know that some on the Allegheny have success with Rock Bass if you can get them.

Shelves next to barge cuts.  Water 6-10 feet deep, that drops to 20 foot plus quickly are spots that I try to fish. The big flats lay in the deep holes during the day, and come up into the shallower water to feed at night, is how it was explained to me.

If there is current, that's good. 

If there's structure and current, even better. 

If there's structure, current and the mouth of a feeder creek, you're in business. 

If there's structure, current, the mouth of a feeder creek and that spot is located on the outside bend of a river (where the deepest holes are), be ready for a big boy.

That said, i have yet to make it out this year, going Saturday for the first trip.
    pin_drifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/07/18 17:03:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info but really dosen't say much. So you saying to fish the shallows at night say like 7 ft or less ?

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/07/20 07:21:43 (permalink)
    Got one the other night after a couple fruitless hours in 18+ water, moved down into 10-12', hooked up in 20 min. You never know, but next trip out I'm starting shallower. No takers on bluegills, fish fell to a fresh white bass fillet.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/07/21 13:40:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pin_drifter

Thanks for the info but really dosen't say much. So you saying to fish the shallows at night say like 7 ft or less ?

I'm saying look for spots that fit those characteristics I mentioned.  The more characteristics present in a particular spot, probably, the better the flathead fishing will be.

I'm not sure what other kind of information you were looking for?  Do you know what a barge cut is?

I like water 6 to 10 or 12 feet deep.
    braaap@aol.com
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/07/21 16:57:29 (permalink)
    hey i want to get into the flat head fishing and was wondering if anyone knew of any good spots around new castle. i know lake arthur but i have never fished it for cats and was wondering if anyone knew any good spots to try out there or if anyone knew any other good spots thanks in advance
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/07/25 09:56:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: braaap@aol.com

hey i want to get into the flat head fishing and was wondering if anyone knew of any good spots around new castle. i know lake arthur but i have never fished it for cats and was wondering if anyone knew any good spots to try out there or if anyone knew any other good spots thanks in advance

neither lake arthur nor pymatuming have flathead catfish.

but both have good populations of channel cats.  Lake erie and shenango (reservoir and river) also have a population of large channel catfish.

for Flatheads in western Pa, the major action is in the three rivers; where there is a good population of them, up to about 45#.  From new castle, another option is ohio. 

my favorite (for channels) when I was lived near mercer was shenango;  there is a dense population of them up to about 5#.  They say lake arthur has the trophy catfish- prob true; but I never had much luck with them and preferred shenango.

do you want to catch alot of fish or are you after trophy fish?  do you want flatheads or channels?  compared to anything But a flathead catfish or musky; a big channel is a bruiser of a fish!  But most avid catters given time, fascinate over the unpredictable, powerful, and much larger flatheads.

JOlie
    braaap@aol.com
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/07/25 11:12:59 (permalink)
    well i went to arthur the other day and managed quite a few fish but they were all small like 1 lbs... we were using chicken livers and night crawlers my one buddy had on a bluegill head and had a hit but he got excited and didnt set the hook and realed it right outta watever bit its mouth im guessing that this fish was much larger. we were fishing by the dam
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/08/20 01:10:19 (permalink)
    Spent 3 hours or so on the ohio and couldnt even muster a nibble. Tried 2 spots that generally produce, always next time. Nice evening to be out! Had gills smelt and even went to crawlers figuring a channel or two.Should have brought a couple beers !

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/09/03 21:37:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pin_drifter

Hi guys looking for people who know how to fish old ugly. I have been now for awhile and having no luck fishing gills and dams in the deepest pools below the dam and info how i might be able to hook up more be greatly appericated.  I am all ears.  Been fishing the number 7 pool in kittanning Armstrong county. Thanks

Well, its been a few years since I've fished for old ugly but used to do it almost religiously. I usually fished the Allegheny between Franklin Pa and Kennerdell Pa. A couple of friends,a fire, a case or two of ice cold beer some shrooms or whatever( oh the good ol days)!! We fished the dog days of summer getting set up just before dark and thats where we usually woke up .. We fished the deeper holes with some current. Rig ? not sure if circle hooks were invented back then but would use them now. First slide a swivel down your line,Tie on your hook of preference, crimp a splitshot anywhere between 24" to 30" up from your hook. Now use appropiate size sinker with an eye  1 to 2 oz. depending on the current. Connect a med-light wt rubberband to the sinker and then attach the rubber band to the swivel. We used this set up because if you got hung up on a rock or something the rubber band would break and 90% of the time you get everything else back. Bait ? all we used were live chubs, we would spend the afternoon catching chubs in the creeks/streams and putting them in a cooler with a home-made air-ater. Hook the chubs up through the lips. Cast it out and let it settle. Loosen your drag so it pulls out freely. You'll know when old ugly has it. He will pick it up and run with it, stop and munch on it and then take off again. Usually on this second run is when you tighten up the drag and set the hook. But with circle hooks do not set the hook, you may not even have to wait for that second run. We have caught more than our share of these powerful beast in our day. Hope this helps you, it worked for us back then. If you need anything more specific feel free to pm me. gook luck !!    
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/09/04 10:33:07 (permalink)

Was down the backchannel last night, only caught one 25 inch flat. Beautiful fish though. I also use Creek Chubs, alive or dead.

I've got to get these circle hooks, i forgot how amazing they were, and ran out.

Someone said earlier, wether you catch em or not, it's still beautiful to be out there on the water. Beats the hell outta hanging drywall.

fishawk59
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Flathead fishing 2008/09/27 00:20:56 (permalink)
    YOU DONT NEED TO WAIT FOR AFTER FIRST RUN WITH CIRCLE HOOKS I KEEP SPOOL LOKED IN SO WHEN FISH TAKES THE BAIT SAND RUNS THE CIRLCE HOOK DOES THE REST

Jump to: