What's good fishing in the summer?

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/17 16:25:25 (permalink)

What's good fishing in the summer?

This time of year ,especially in august..Streams and portions of the main rivers reach critical temperatures  to sustain trout. Knowing the trout are stressed above water tempertures exceeding 70 degrees, it is time to consider fishing for the warm water species. From here on till the cooler tempertures return, I plan focusing more  on the warm water species.. I have yet to try the mainstem of the del. this summer. I like rolling up along the main stem..starting somewhere above calicoon on up towards lordsville and finally cutting through to the eastbranch/pepacton through roscoe . i would only consider fishing at night or real early am ..too **** hot muggy. The main stem during the day is full of campers/tourists canoeing and rafting! Though after dark I believe it may be possible to find a spot for channels bullheads from last summertime eels are abundant shorlining crawlers ( never ate an eel that I caught). I just like being where there is walleye! If I go, I will fish in the deeper main pools. That is if I go! lol 
post edited by backin79 - 2008/07/17 16:29:04

2 Replies Related Threads

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: What's good fishing in the summer? 2008/07/17 18:32:59 (permalink)
    local paper said if it stays this warn for a few more days there gonna release water to cool the Delaware down ... I'll get the article tomorrow.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: What's good fishing in the summer? 2008/07/17 21:33:17 (permalink)
    yes force, especially in the smaller headwaters sometimes durring dry season it doesn't rain enough for the springs feeding in what are basically considered sactuary pools.  It is good to know DEC closes certain sections when it gets too **** warm and not enough rain. But, this year i think we are getting enough rain..good to know the trout in other stretches instinctively migrate towards the cooler releases.  Haven't decided yet what i'm doing this weekend, down the shore is out of the question, my PB friend said fishing suks esp. after that hurricane .might take a rowboat out at night,,if i go, i'm stopping at gainder in middletown, check and see if they have anything portable in  led fish attractors. i like latterns for nightfishing but always wanted to try those underwater led lights. I might pass that idea going to mainstem and just try neversink or pepacton in the dark. 
    Jump to: