More gun control for Philly

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/13 19:26:39 (permalink)
Catman,

I have answered all of your questions and you have yet to answer the one I asked you.

Do you feel that if a criminal steals something from your house or car and that something is used in a crime, you are comfortable with facing prosecution for the actions of a criminal?
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/13 19:40:53 (permalink)
"Do you feel that if a criminal steals something from your house or car and that something is used in a crime, you are comfortable with facing prosecution for the actions of a criminal?"

I'm not sure where you're going with that. If a gun, registered to you, is connected to a crime commited on the 12th, but you reported it stolen on the 8th, there would be little suspicion on you. However if a gun you registered on the 8th, is connected to a crime 2-3 days later, and you had not previously reported it stolen, I'm sure you will be seriously looked upon as a possible suspect.

See post previous to your last.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/13 20:30:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

I'm not sure where you're going with that. If a gun, registered to you, is connected to a crime commited on the 12th, but you reported it stolen on the 8th, there would be little suspicion on you. However if a gun you registered on the 8th, is connected to a crime 2-3 days later, and you had not previously reported it stolen, I'm sure you will be seriously looked upon as a possible suspect.

Probably would, but I did not commit the crime. 

Just as if my car turns up crashed into someones front porch.  LE would give me a call to make sure I was not behind the wheel when the accident happened.

By the way, I would voluntarily report anything stolen from my posession to the authorities.  Never said I wouldn't.  But do not charge me for a crime because of the actions of others who use property stolen from me to commit a crime.
post edited by dpms - 2008/07/13 20:33:21
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/13 20:36:10 (permalink)
D,

If yoy read my previous post, you see that my what my opinion of the law is. Not much different from your own, if at all.

The only point I'm making, is that if MY firearm, is no longer under MY control, I would want the authorities to be aware. I would be somewhat suspect, of anyone who didn't.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/13 20:42:09 (permalink)

D,

If yoy read my previous post, you see that my what my opinion of the law is. Not much different from your own, if at all.

The only point I'm making, is that if MY firearm, is no longer under MY control, I would want the authorities to be aware. I would be somewhat suspect, of anyone who didn't.

I agree with you.  I would voluntarily report anything stolen from my posession. 
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/13 20:44:59 (permalink)
 "But do not charge me for a crime because of the actions of others who use property stolen from me to commit a crime."

That was never the intent, nor would it have been the ACTIONS of the criminal you were charge for, but rather your INACTION. The law was INTENDED to stop people elligible to purchase firearms, from buying them for people who are inelligible.Once again, I don't believe it would be effective, but that WAS the intent, to punish THEM, not law abiding citizens.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/13 22:28:58 (permalink)
The law was INTENDED to stop people elligible to purchase firearms, from buying them for people who are inelligible.Once again, I don't believe it would be effective, but that WAS the intent, to punish THEM, not law abiding citizens.

I hear you and I understand that the intent was to stop  straw purchases.  But while the intent has merit, this law would punish all gun owners.

Again, trying to sell new gun laws and restrictions to those among us that buy into the sales pitch.

I believe you and I are on the same page with this. 
CATMAN610
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/14 16:25:57 (permalink)
I have a personal example of this,,not with a gun but with a license plate. Last year someone stole my plate off my pick-up right in front of my house. I called the cops and reported it first thing in the morning. They had already been called on my plate because whomever stole it put it on his jeep to steal gas at sheetz. Had I not reported it,, you bet they would have been at my house later that day with alot of questions,,,espescialy if who stole it had waited to use it instead of doing it that same night.

my point is,,,anyone would report a gun stolen immediatly anyway,,and like I said circumstances like being away from your house or cabin or where ever you store your guns would be taken into consideration when they did thier investigation if you were unable to report it in the amount of time they want. So the thought of being fined or being charged as a criminal because you didn't report it probably isn't a real threat Only the people who don't report thier guns stolen for criminal reasons would be at risk.

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/14 16:47:53 (permalink)
I have a handgun in a cupboard that until this thread started I haven't even looked at since it got it's yearly cleaning nearly a year ago. Now some are suggesting that I should get it out each morning before my coffee. Probably not going to happen.
CATMAN610
Expert Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/14 16:57:31 (permalink)
No,,but if your house were broken into,,,you would hopefully check on it and if it were missing you'd report it right?
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/14 20:21:56 (permalink)
Cat,

Still waiting. 

Do you feel that if a criminal steals something from your house or car and that something is used in a crime, you are comfortable with facing prosecution for the actions of a criminal?
CATMAN610
Expert Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/14 20:58:26 (permalink)
That would not happen,,,after an investigation.
Just report your guns stolen,,thats all.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/14 22:06:09 (permalink)
After an investigation during which I would need a lawyer first to protect my rights from an overzelous anti gun police officer and court system in an anti gun city, and then to fight the city to get my gun back.  A good example is the one Doc trout put up in the deputy thread. A law passed to protect a hunter in the field used to fine a man standing on his porch. No thanks
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: More gun control for Philly 2008/07/15 07:23:48 (permalink)
Cat,

Still waiting. 

You have done everything but answer the question. Yes or no?
post edited by dpms - 2008/07/15 07:25:56
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: