summer night fishing

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/27 07:44:40 (permalink)

summer night fishing

I enjoy night fishing in the summertime..i think fishing during warmest days of the year offers the  best chances of catching decent fish. I am hoping to do some catfishing soon and where I go there are channel and possible eye too. Just these **** gas prices upstate putting me off.. i got to work up some money for gas!  bush is ruining us!

8 Replies Related Threads

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: summer night fishing 2008/06/27 08:45:07 (permalink)
    yeah i love night fishing, i usually go for trout though, i've been looking to try these. as a lantern hung above the boat or over the water for fish, it looks cool, and very bright

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=350073035099&Category=123489&_trksid=p3907.m29
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: summer night fishing 2008/06/27 17:30:44 (permalink)
    At least no kerosene smell ! lol .. Hey i've not done a trout at night trip in my boats in years..not like it use to be that's for sure.. I guess mainly because I don't favor the flesh of the big ones I use to bring home and try every which recipe. Honestly prefer the delicate sweet taste of panfish and was thinking more in line with latterns along the shore a head led of coarse and trying for those tasty bullheads. In lake onieda we fillet the sunfish which are pretty enormous both size and limit! I guess they fgrow big on those fresh water shrimp?... But down here closer to home I have places relatively clean for eatin fish. Good luck scooping bait with that led lattern, be sure to bring along a good scoop net for catching your own sawbellies.
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    RE: summer night fishing 2008/06/29 10:11:01 (permalink)
    we caught lots of panfish 2 night ago, we pulled an all nighter, three of us in a 11.5 ft coleman crawdad. caught no trout till 2:30 but then started slammin um, caught like 10 trout, 3 crappie, and a few dozen panfish before 4:45 when started to brighten. we tried out a new submersable light and the hummingbird went black with micro organisms bait, and fish. and then we ran out of worms so for the trolling in the morning we used chompers drop shot worms    and acctuallt caught trout.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: summer night fishing 2008/06/29 11:12:08 (permalink)
    blitz, wow three in a crawdad?.. i have a crawdad too and it's perfect for two in easy water. I suppose a kid in the middle is okay but three all night? lol..anyway i use to put around in nj using 2hp yamaha still in great condition. perfect for small lakes and big poles of the del. river which i plan to go soon too. I found some deep poles last year on route to my campsite in thre catskills. I really like to try for bullheads certain spots on the pepacton/neversink reserviors this summer too. Still like fly fishing but the main hatches pretty much slowed.. i am suppose to going first fluke PB trip sometime later these weekdays. funny,even though you know it is much cheaper buying fillets at the market, our passion for outdoor sportfishing helps us rationalize these rediculous gas prices not to mention latest creel/size limits down here off jersey shore. fluke have to be 18"  this season and the limit is 8 fish. I highly doubt i catch half a limit of these headboats! lol but we shall see!
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    RE: summer night fishing 2008/06/29 16:44:51 (permalink)
    i've heard the pepacton has somw really beastly trout, how far is it from the albany area?
    ever trout fish there?
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: summer night fishing 2008/06/29 22:14:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blitz42

i've heard the pepacton has somw really beastly trout, how far is it from the albany area?
    ever trout fish there?
      kinda far from albany with 4 plus a gal you best car pool.. this time of year you need a boat..you need a permit too. I haven't been going much these days..this time of year at night with latterns.. i use two colemans and titelock holders..bouye in over 100ft of water wait for the bait (sometimes you get them in so thick you can netscoop) I use strikeguards and suspend different debts from 15 to 40ft depending on whats doing. basically that is it..but i haven't been motivated.. and honestly lost my interest in keeping huge browns.. actually all my biggest browns were caught in daytime..and usually in the early cold spring. But this lake is great into july durring the nights into morning before the fog lifts. great place to visit if you never seeb it. By august most these resevoirs are tough fishing but the pepac is still good but by the dam and down deep like 30 to 50ft. Closer to you is the ashokan,you can do pretty much the same in the upper basin off broahead.. plenty of deep cold water for those lunker browns. Plus you have the extra bonus of the ocassional walleye (usually big ones) and in the morning bragging size  rainbows. Over ten years ago i kepted a record bow 9 3/4 lb. in lower basin in the 70 ft.channel suspending live sawbellies about 45ft. in early may. another time caught another 8 to 9 lb bow which i released. the thing with the ashokan is you can catch alot of varity.. the lower basin is under fished and plenty of sm catfish perch rockbass you got your browns and bows and those illusive walleye which are rare.. i honestly wish the catskills managed their own walleye mini state hatchery. I wish these folks in dep would stock walleyes in all these resevoirs including pepacton. Maybe we can get a walleye club together with the state giving us permission ?
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: summer night fishing 2008/07/01 19:34:49 (permalink)
    I fished the Shokan Res last weekend - It's a NYDEP watershed -and yes ya need a permit just to fish it .... Now if ya want to put a boat on it well now -

read pages 8 & 9

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/watershed_protection/pdf/wsrecrules.pdf
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: summer night fishing 2008/07/01 22:16:36 (permalink)
    reel, i use to hit that ashokan every weekend for years, back then , i caught enough and seen enough to know enough including the esopus.. know all the hotspots and best time of year for that fishery. problem is i have land elsewhere near pepacton and eastbranch, also neversink roundout, i play them all cept canonville and scoharie,really wish the dec would stock walleye cause they are great eating. I don't particularly like big trout from the lakes and many will agree.. they grow big but stinky and oily lol anyway i hot the alarm set for fluking at 4am for manasquan fluking . nite!
    Jump to: