Any Updates?

Author
panthr
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/17 12:56:06 (permalink)

Any Updates?

I'll be camping at Black Moshannon state park starting Friday. I'm wondering how the streams are, how much rain is expected, or any other info. I have never been to the area and my buddy and I are really looking forward to the trip. We plan on fishing Spring and the Little J and since we are there, we'll try Black Moshannon.

Also looking for a good place to eat if anyone has any suggestions. I'm guessing I'll find a place around State College, I just don't want to drive around for hours looking.

Thanks in advance for any info!

14 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/17 13:02:50 (permalink)
    I haven't been on the Little J since last week, the water was a bit on the low side.  We did fairly well nymph fishing, the dry fly fishing was pretty spotty at best.  We got a couple of pretty bad storms yesterday, they dumped a good bit of rain on us in a very short amount of time.  I would expect the Little J to be a tad murky, but not high, should be in good shape by tomorrow.  Most of the rain missed Spring Creek and it is in pretty good shape right now.  I will be out on it later this afternoon. 

As far as places to eat, I am not sure what you are looking for but I may be able to help out.  There are more good hoagie/pizza kinda places than anything else.
    Pamuddler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/17 15:22:22 (permalink)
    Panthr
    If the other creeks are high and muddy Black Mochannon Creek is usually fish able.
    There is a small restaurant in the town of Unionville and while you are there you can fish Bald Eagle Creek above or below the bridge in town. At the small town of Wingate there is a restaurant,a Brothers Pizza and a Sheetz. All of these places are on Rt.220. You will go through these two towns to get to Spring Creek in the town of Bellefonte.What type of fishing will you be doing?
    Bill from up on the hill
    panthr
    New Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/17 17:10:50 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. As far as food.....maybe a sports bar to get a good meal and beer. If that don't work, Sheets chilli cheese dogs are always good.

We will be fly fishing. Might try to venture over to Penns as well ....but we'll go anywhere.
    Pamuddler
    New Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/17 20:51:55 (permalink)
    Panthr
    If you are going to fly fish on Spring Creek the fish are taking a large Cicada.I use a all foam fly that is all black with some orange on the under body. You will Ned a 2x or 3x tippet to cast these large flies so that you don't get allot of tangles. There is a brown and a black cadius coming off to. Saturday is the only day that they are not calling for rain. Good luck with the fishing.

Bill from up on the hill
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/18 06:45:00 (permalink)
    in philipsburg is a place called rj's pub, theres usually a baseball game on if i'm there. it's down 504(and you pass six mile and black bear(( class a wild trout stream;brookies)) as you go in) come to the stoplight make a right till you come to another light. rj's is on your left.
    ORIGINAL: panthr

Thanks guys. As far as food.....maybe a sports bar to get a good meal and beer. If that don't work, Sheets chilli cheese dogs are always good.

We will be fly fishing. Might try to venture over to Penns as well ....but we'll go anywhere.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    panthr
    New Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/18 08:38:50 (permalink)
    PAMUD, What do you think about this fly:
    http://www.theflystop.com/store-page-products_detail-pid-754-dry-flies-stoneflies.html
    I purchased a few of them and I also tried to tie a few of my own patterns. If they don't work, I'll have to find some that will.

I hope it's not a wash-out. I checked the weather and so far every day is 20-30% chance of rain. I might be spending a lot of time at RJ's...lol.
    Pamuddler
    New Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/18 10:00:04 (permalink)
    Panthr
    They are almost all black with some orange on the under body, put something on the top so you can see it better.If you need cacada flies give me a ring when you get to Bellefonte 814-355-3361. I tied way to many and I probably won't be around to fish the next one in 17 years.So far the rain we been getting didn't mount to much.The weather man changes from day to day

Bill from up on the hill 
    panthr
    New Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/18 10:44:22 (permalink)
    Sounds good, I appreciate that. Check in at the camp area is 3pm, so we plan on fishing the Little J Friday morning until then. We've never been there, so we'll probably do a lot of walking. I'll give you a call later Friday afternoon after we set up.

Rick
    nut
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/19 06:22:01 (permalink)
    so far the creeks on this side of the mountain are doing great(philipsburg area), you might want to bring some bass bugs and try fly fishing at the lake at blackie. beware of the lily pads though.

panthr
    New Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/19 08:49:30 (permalink)
    nut, I didn't think of that, but that is a good idea. What part of the lake should I try....N,S,E,W or is all good? You said the creeks on your side are holding up, but what about the other side? Was there a lot of rain up your way?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/19 15:24:31 (permalink)
    I was down on the Little J yesterday evening, we did fair.  Saw a few cahills and blue quills, not much happenning on top with the mayflies.  Cicadas tossed up under the trees took a few fish, the rest came nymphing with cahill nymphs and caddis patterns.  The water level is definately low there.
    nut
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/20 06:24:22 (permalink)
    don't know about the other side but we had 2 inches of rain since the 14th,as for the bass and pike head up lake. it fishes best at dusk or dark .
    ORIGINAL: panthr

nut, I didn't think of that, but that is a good idea. What part of the lake should I try....N,S,E,W or is all good? You said the creeks on your side are holding up, but what about the other side? Was there a lot of rain up your way?

nut
    Expert Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/23 07:17:31 (permalink)
    how'd you guys make out?fished a local stream myself mostlt grasshoppers w/ a nymph dropper. got2 around 15". that was a nice hailstorm saturday night , how'd the tents hold up?

panthr
    New Angler
    RE: Any Updates? 2008/06/25 12:55:57 (permalink)
    We had an outstanding 4 days. We fished Little J and Spring with cicadas and caught a lot of fish. We checked out black moshannon but it was real low so we didn't fish much. We didn't get any hail on Saturday but it did rain pretty good that night as well as Sunday. Tents held up ok, at least one of them. My tent had a small leak on the top. Woke up Sunday night from rain drops on the face..lol.

We both can't wait to get up there again. Bill, I forgot your number at home...wish I wouldn't have. Paid $2.50 at TCO and $4 at Spruce for the cicadas.....can't complain though because they caught a lot of fish.
    Jump to: