Baitcasting Reel Suggestions

Author
fishON4Me
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 142
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/12 18:49:26 (permalink)

Baitcasting Reel Suggestions

Hello fellow fishermen and women. I am looking to get a good baitcasting reel that does not exceed $50.00 and am running into many different makes and models. Can anyone please recommend a baitcasting reel that I will use for mostly bass fishing from shore (not by boat). I will most likely be casting Rapalas and other artifical baits with the reel. Please let me know the make and model number as there are so many diffrerent kinds. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.

8 Replies Related Threads

tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: Baitcasting Reel Suggestions 2008/06/12 20:32:30 (permalink)
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Baitcasting Reel Suggestions 2008/06/13 09:03:44 (permalink)
    Yeah, the cheap shimano's are good.

Actually if you're fishing from shore I wouldn't recommend any baitcaster.   Catching a tree limb or weed on your backcast is bad news. 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Baitcasting Reel Suggestions 2008/06/13 12:14:17 (permalink)
    If your price point was a bit higher, I would recommend the Abu Garcia reels.  I have had several and they all performed well.  I am currently using a Professional Rocket and it is very nice.  Shimano makes a fantastic reel called the Calcutta.  I have had one for several years and absolutely love it.  Another good reel I like is the Pflueger President.  It is a tough little low profile reel that fits perfectly in my hand and is easy to cast.

I personally I like baitcasting reels and prefer them to spincast reels for most applications involving either throwing larger lures or large amounts of bait.  Of course, when using small spinners, or light baits, the spinning outfit is the choice.

One thing to consider is the line.  I pretty much have gone exclusively to Power Pro on my casting reels.  I like the performance of the line, but I also find that it is way easier to pick out a backlash with the Power Pro than with mono.  It will cost a bit to fill the spool on a baitcaster, but what I do and many others as well, is to put on a good deal of cheap mono for backing and only spool up about 100 yards of the Power Pro.  That way you have plenty of line for fishing, but not a ton of expensive line just taking up space on your reel.  When it comes time to change the line, simply spool off what is left of your 100 yards, and put on another.

Good luck in finding your new reel.  Hopefully it will be exactly what you are looking for.

pax vobiscum +
    W.William
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: RE: Baitcasting Reel Suggestions 2017/11/15 18:28:14 (permalink)
    Orra Winch, Abu Garcia. It's a slow reel (5:4:1) but super tough and great for throwing big spinners or cranking. I have the original model, which has lasted me longer than any baitcaster I've ever had. There's an Orra 2 Winch out now which you can get for around $50.00 and looks to be of the same quality.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: RE: Baitcasting Reel Suggestions 2017/11/15 20:55:51 (permalink)
    UHHHHHH, Zelie Sam you on the channel........ C'Mon!

Somebody be needing your encouraging and kind thoughts, me thinks.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: RE: Baitcasting Reel Suggestions 2017/11/17 08:22:56 (permalink)
    Sorry guys, this isn't my jam.  Only baitcasters I own are two Quantum Accurist PT with "flippin bar" feature, bought specifically for founder jigging John Skinner style.  I'm petrified to cast one, strictly a drop straight down rig for me.  And those cost ~$100 a pop.  Spinning reels I could give you all sorts of recommendations, and the first would be "get a spinning reel instead."  :)  
    W.William
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: RE: Baitcasting Reel Suggestions 2017/12/10 01:09:15 (permalink)
    Color: 16LB 9+1BB-Left Handed
    I love my new Sou****ilang Baitcasting fishing reel. When I cast The Line, it was so smooth without any resistance at all. The reel allows me to throw my line out so much farther then my old fishing reels. Many other fisherman have commented on how nice It casts and when I told them how much I paid they were shocked at such a low price. The ball bearings makes such a difference in its ability. I was able to load up my fish net and feed my entire family with the help of this fishing reel.
    Jump to: