Erie Fishing and Boating

Author
Like2Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/27 22:20:26 (permalink)

Erie Fishing and Boating

I have been fishing Erie for several years and have done it from a smaller Jon style boat.  Having fell in love with the tug of smallmouth and the taste of Walleye, I purchased a used 20' Wellcraft complete with all the Walleye gear and Downriggers.  I have installed all new electronics, radios, safety equipment.  I just got a dock out of Lampe Marina and the big question is "NOW WHAT"  I have fished mostly inside the Bay and have ventured out on the Lake when I saw it was safe.  I have been as far as the cribs and thats about it.  I will be putting the boat in the water this weekend.  My question is are there any good organizations to join either up there or here in the Pittsburgh where ideas and information can be shared about the various fishing styles on the lake.  An example would be I know what downriggers are but have no idea of the proper way to use or rig them. Any ideas on how and where to start fishing for Walleye and Smallies would really be welcome. Thanks guy's!

8 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Erie Fishing and Boating 2008/05/27 23:34:19 (permalink)
    Share a ride for a couple of trips with some of the guys on here, a few trips can do a lot, and I am sure most of us would be interested in splitting gas some this summer.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Banananastix4
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Erie Fishing and Boating 2008/05/28 05:49:25 (permalink)
    The Pittsburgh Downriggers is a club near you,also the EPSFA is a club here in Erie. We have a boat at Lampe. Well keep an eye out for ya. 
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Erie Fishing and Boating 2008/05/28 06:34:03 (permalink)
    Sound like me, bass finally got the best of me, Im planning on a new lowe at some point this year.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Erie Fishing and Boating 2008/05/28 08:50:14 (permalink)
    My first comment was going to be, make sure you have all your required safety equip. but it sounds like you are on top of that.  Second, make sure you have taken the new to you boat through its paces (shakedown run) in the bay to make sure you have worked out all the mechanical issues.  Troll around the bay with some flatlines out with deep divers on along the drop offs (so you feel like you are fishing) and do that for 1/2 hr or an hour just to make sure your engine doesn't have any trolling issues (doesn't carbon up bad) and you can get your speed down.  You'll probably hook up with some smallies and largemouths while doing this. 

Now, for the big water fishing, make sure you have your boat set-up properly for planer boards, dipsy and rigger fishing.  Post up some pics of your layout or the layout you are thinking of (re: rod holder placement, etc.) and there are plenty of experienced guys on here that can point you in the right direction.  When it comes time to actually fish, inviting along some experienced people (guys who own a trolling boat or used to own one) will help your learning curve as well as your pocket book when sharing expenses.  Another option if you don't want to go that route, or to use in addition to that route, is to book a charter with 5 of your buddies with one of the better captains that fishes the way you want to learn and let them know you what it to be a "learning" charter and most of them will accommodate you.  When I used to first mate, we'd have several charters a year that were a bunch of guys that wanted to learn how to troll.  I was more than willing to teach and it helped me having extra hands there when setting 12-16 lines.  Sure, it took an hour or more to take them through everything enough times until they got the hang of it but that was part of the experience.  Always seemed to work out and always got a nicer than avg. tip from these types of trips as they appreciated the teaching aspect.   

Also, buy the book "Precision Trolling" and it will get you well on your way.  You don't necessarily need the latest version either and someone on here might even have an old copy for sale or that they are willing to loan you.

And make sure you have a big pocket book to buy all those pretty lures, dipsies, harnesses and other tackle that you are going to need/want.  Post up more questions when you have them. 

This time of year, I'd be trolling for smallies and local resident walleye in 18'-35' of water on the East side of channel.  You can troll from the cribs all the way up past shades and up to McCords point.  Lost of good smallie structure in there and you are bound to pick up a few walleye along the way.  You can troll deep diving crankbaits and stickbaits of your choice.  We always did well on the regular and smaller sized storm stickbaits in pumpkinseed, chartreuse/green back, rainbow trout, firetiger and baby bass colors.  Bomber long A's always worked well too.  There are so many other options out there now that will work.  You just have to pick a favorite and go with it.  When the walleye heat up, you'll be wanting to head out deeper.  Once you learn how to run all your lines, the biggest challenge is finding the schools of fish. 
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie Fishing and Boating 2008/05/28 20:41:34 (permalink)
    Gentlemen, thanks for all the advice.  My boat came with electric downriggers mounted in the stern, both port and starboard sides. It also casme with planner boards and that tree thing that mounts in the bow.  My dock space is 209 at Lampe, stop by and say hi when your in the neighborhood.  I will look into the Pittsburgh Downriggers club.  I also liked the thread about the cost of fishing per year.  With all the money I have spent since I started this sport it averages about $900.00 per keeper fish!
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Erie Fishing and Boating 2008/05/29 00:30:49 (permalink)
    Like2Fish, I launch at Lampe so I might just stop by and say hi one of these days. I'm in the Pittsburgh area myself (Plum Boro). I'm always looking for folks to talk to about Erie fishing. I joined Pittsburgh Downriggers about 12 yrs ago, but only kept my membership up for two years. My problem was finding the time to drive to the other side of town for the meetings. But I have been thinking about joining again. I try to get up to Erie every weekend. This past month was not good for me however due to the weather.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Erie Fishing and Boating 2008/05/29 18:21:42 (permalink)
    Brad1, sounds good.  I will be up there this weekend launching the boat and I will be there fathers day as well.  I am not sure about next weekend.  Need to make a dent in the "hubby do" list.  Do stop and say hi, slip 209.
    EyEstrain
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Erie Fishing and Boating 2008/05/29 21:52:49 (permalink)
    Like2fish, I'll be up there this weekend as well. Dont know where Ill b launching from yet, probably west of Lampe trying to find a few early walleyes and some smallies. I'm on ch. 68. Good luck
    Jump to: