CROW CALLS

Author
killdeer19
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 654
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/18 16:12:08 (permalink)

CROW CALLS

What's the point in using a crow call? I just got one in a kit my girl friend got me with a hooter, slate, and mouth call and haven't found any information on when, why, how to use it. (other than just blow) Does it really attract turkeys or is it just another locator call? Normally, I've done well enough with just a box call, that I haven't needed any other. Last year, I had a whole flock walk basically on top of me. Unfortunately, I couldn't move with out spooking them because of all the eyes. LOL Thanks for the info.

8 Replies Related Threads

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: CROW CALLS 2008/04/18 21:21:33 (permalink)
    Crow calls are used to make a turkey shock gobble, they do not attract or call turkeys in. Same concept as an owl call.
    The point? IMO, using a turkey call such as a box call is ok to use to make a turkey gobble......to an extent. Yes a loud turkey sound will often make a bird gobble but when an area is pressured with alot of loud calling it can make the birds have lockjaw. Once that happens a crow call or similar locator call is a good bet to get a bird to sound off. Also, yes hens do sometimes carry on loudly but more times that you can hear they use subtle calls. It has been my experience that a caller whom can mix some loud calling (if situation calls for it) and subtle calls coupled with the right set up will have a higer chance of getting a bird into gun range.

Always remember..........

Your goal should not be to make them gobble, it should be to call them in!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: CROW CALLS 2008/04/19 06:22:04 (permalink)
    Well said...
     Some Tom's just don't like crows and they will light up every time. I would rather use this for a locater.
     When using a box for a locater you better be ready before you even hit hte call. If the birds are close they may start running in your direction and catch you unprepared.(been there)
     With the crow call it can be used any time with out the fear of the bird coming to you. He just sounds off.
     I've always found the owl hooter worked best as an evening locater to see where the birds are roosting. I think alot of the Tom's around where I hunt don't respond well to the owl hooter. Too many goats(amish) walking around blowing it all day.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: CROW CALLS 2008/04/21 10:05:31 (permalink)
    Thanks,
         I don't use the box as a locator, just to call them in. Usually, after one or two calls, I shut up and let the tom come looking. It's worked in the past, although it helps that I'm usually close to where they want to go anyways.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: CROW CALLS 2008/04/23 16:44:57 (permalink)
    Like has been said already, the crow call just makes 'em gobble. Dont use a turkey call to locate them, unless nothing else will work. Only use a turkey call when you are set up. That way, your not caught off guard by a gobbler thats looking for the hen (you) that just called him.

I often end up calling in crows with my crow call, it drives them nuts. It actually works out well because the crows will keep the gobblers going until I can get a good read on their location.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: CROW CALLS 2008/04/24 13:36:01 (permalink)
    Do you use the sucker call?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: CROW CALLS 2008/04/24 14:23:36 (permalink)
    WHAT IS A SUCKER CALL?
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: CROW CALLS 2008/04/24 15:04:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

WHAT IS A SUCKER CALL?

its an ongoing joke with thedrake, no such thing.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: CROW CALLS 2008/04/25 07:47:04 (permalink)
    ROTFL!!! 

Sorry chicken, just a joke.

Good luck with the birds fellas.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Jump to: