Are steelhead still in Erie tribs?

Author
AdamsDry
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/15 00:19:32 (permalink)

Are steelhead still in Erie tribs?

I fished at the end of April last year and was lucky to get a little action on upper 20 one day. But not worth hanging around for.  I drove over to Ohio and fished a small tributary (I think) of the Grand the second day and caught a few. The 3rd day I had some decent fishing at the very end of the day on the Chagrin. The Ohio experience was basically made worth it during the last few hours of a 3 day fishing trip.  My question is:  Are there enough steelhead around the Erie tribs to justify a Friday and Saturday trip to Erie or a Saturday and Sunday trip to the Erie tribs?  I think some rain would help, but are there still enough steelhead in the tribs to make a trip worth while or have most of the steelhead moved back to the lake?        

25 Replies Related Threads

finhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 01:07:55 (permalink)
    Just so happens I caught four today in about 3-3.5 hours. Pretty fresh lookin' too.

One example-

post edited by finhed - 2008/04/15 01:08:56
    psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 01:47:09 (permalink)
    There are still fish in the lower sections of walnut and elk...and the mouths of some of some of the creeks still are holding fish...

id come up if i was you
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 10:13:39 (permalink)
    Only YOU can determine "worth it". There are enough left, that a skilled Steelheader SHOULD be able to catch more, than people who travel to Oregon, and Washington states  catch in the height of the season.

For ME, it is reaching the point where it is not "worth it". Not because I NEED to catch alot of fish, or because I wouldn't EXPECT to catch some ( maybe even several ). Rather because, (1) I've pretty much caught my fill for the year, and  (2) because my local fishing will be heating up to the point where it is not "worth it" for me to travel for opportunities elsewhere. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 10:24:25 (permalink)
    The value of the trip up is definitely something each person needs to decide for themselves.  The streams right now are in pretty good shape, the weather this week will be fine, there are TONS of suckers in the lower sections of the streams now, Elk has some stockies, an odd smallie might be swimming around, etc....  This time of year can be fantastic or can be a total bust.  The fish are moving around; here today, gone tomorrow.  With no rain in the forecast until the weekend, the streams will be clear and on the low side, you can see the fish if they are present and do some sight fishing.  Of course, they will be spookie, so careful presentation will make all the difference.

The bottomline, if you want to come and fish do so.  If you expect to find large pods of fish in every hole, you will be disappointed, but if you are willing to do some looking, you should find fish.  Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    AdamsDry
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 10:44:34 (permalink)
    I thank all of you very much!  I have another duty I really need to get busy on here and your posts have helped me make a decision. Staying home. 
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 11:43:30 (permalink)
    If I was going id go way up and try to get fish that are not near smolts...it can be done....or the mouths.  Or go to Ohio.  But again it depends on what's worth it to you.  This starts to become the time when 20-40 fish days are probably not going to happen.  Ill have one last trip for steel this week but Im mostly into my spring bass mode.  1 5 lber already and its barely begun.  But there are so many opportunities in Western PA right now that any fishing trip about anywhere should be worth it. 
    Hammerhead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 12:39:15 (permalink)
    Still lots of old fish in creeks if you look in the right places....saw lots of "Mup Ears" wading around Saturday stiring up and scaring the fish. Found several honey holes on upper Elk (prior to getting soaked in the sudden downpour) and getting away from the "Mup Ears". Need long leader, and as always when the creeks are low and clear, tiny tiny flies and hooks. Forgot my net, so I had to beach a couple of monsters. Wore out my arms...steelhead are pretty stupid when they get spawned out...caught same one three times and retrieved broken off fly from jaw lost shortly before. Saw no "fresh" fish.

Saw several guys around one hole (decided to avoid the "combat" fishing), so went far far far upstream.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 13:03:42 (permalink)
    "and as always when the creeks are low and clear, tiny tiny flies and hooks."

Yup, a 1/32 oz. jig, or a big bugger/streamer will NEVER work in clear water.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 13:58:33 (permalink)
    Steelies will never hit a big fly in clear water???  Hummm,  if you find an active one, it will not only hit a big fly, but chase it down. 

pax vobiscum +
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 17:39:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

"and as always when the creeks are low and clear, tiny tiny flies and hooks."

Yup, a 1/32 oz. jig, or a big bugger/streamer will NEVER work in clear water.

nor will they hit a 1/16 oz. jig with enough bucktail and flash to scare a pike.  or a 1.75 inch flatfish.  they will never chase those things in low clear water.  but a tiny bead head nymph will also do the damage, just not as exciting. 
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 18:00:17 (permalink)
    Spoon, Bug, Joe, do I detect sarcasm here??  LOL.... It all works at some time or another doesn't it. But what would I know being a "mupere"   Can anyone say walleye???    Dave
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 18:15:02 (permalink)
    Me? Sarcastic? Never happens.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 20:51:21 (permalink)
    Yeah just a bit.  There aren't many rules for steelhead.  I fish jigs, flies, eggs (skein and singles), spoons, spinners, flatfish, and anything I didnt mention I know I have fished at one time or another.  They'll hit it all, its mostly about what you want to catch them on, which is anything  I can fit in my vest.  Anything that needs a bucket or too large a containter doesnt get fished.  In contrast to the big jig in low clear water style Ive had them hit tiny single eggs in churning chocolate milk conditions normally reserved for half dollar chunks of skein and big bright fly patterns.  And of course Ive had them hit half dollar chunks of skein in low clear water.  Cripes Ive gotten them to hit a flatfish with a huge crawler attached to it.....stinger hooks work for more than just walleyes.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/15 21:49:45 (permalink)
    I had a steelie crush a #8 black bunny leech today...  Steelies are hard to predict.  Today it was low and clear and most of what I threw at them caused them to move out of the way.  The fish were pretty spookie.

pax vobiscum +
    Hammerhead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/16 06:53:16 (permalink)
    How do you add a photo in here? When I click to tab "add image", I get a destination URL box that pops up. Cutting and pasting doesn't work either. Somebody help!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/16 06:59:35 (permalink)
    In photobucket, click on the Img, copy.
    Go to the post,
    right click and paste.
    Change the [Img] to [img] on both ends.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/16 09:41:59 (permalink)
    Can anyone say walleye???

Not yet, but soon.

Plenty steel left.  In fact, I saw somebody tangling with them using a 2wt just yesterday.  He was having a blast.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/16 11:42:05 (permalink)
    They are around, but with the low and clear conditions, they seem to be not as interested in biting.  I would loved to have seen the steelie on the 2 wt...  NOW that is a fight.

pax vobiscum +
    psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/16 13:32:40 (permalink)
    I caught the biggest steelhead of my life yesterday on my ultralight set up for trout fishing back home. 5' ugly stick with 4 lb vanish...
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/16 21:51:44 (permalink)
    2 Wt?  Who in their right mind would use a 2 wt for steelhead?

..................Never mind.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/16 22:46:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

2 Wt?  Who in their right mind would use a 2 wt for steelhead?

..................Never mind.

Yea that guy must have been a total Jerk 

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/17 08:58:23 (permalink)
    I don't think the word jerk really fits.  Maybe more enthusiastic; wanting to push their fishing skills and equipment to the limit.  Kinda like fishing for Marlin with light tackle.

pax vobiscum +
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/17 11:11:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk

I don't think the word jerk really fits.  Maybe more enthusiastic; wanting to push their fishing skills and equipment to the limit.  Kinda like fishing for Marlin with light tackle.

Hey Bug  I'm allowed to call myself a jerk anytime I want  LOL

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/17 11:21:49 (permalink)
    OK fine...  I still think it would be quite a challenge.  I landed a steelie with a 4 weight once and man what a battle that was.  Something akin to the one in the movie, "A River Runs Through It".

pax vobiscum +
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Are steelhead still in Erie tribs? 2008/04/17 12:14:04 (permalink)
    I watched a guy catch a 12-13lb hybrid in the Ohio river on a 4.5-5 foot rod and 4 lb test.  He was skipjack fishing with a small jig and a curlytail grub.  I thought that rod was done for.  The fish stopped his initial run with about two wraps of line on the spool.  Craziest thing ever.
    Jump to: