!HELP! Need experienced advice

Author
glockblackteg
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/29 21:10:16 (permalink)

!HELP! Need experienced advice

Hello, new to the area and DESPERATELY seeking some spots for fishing.  I can only go from shore or wading.  Hoping for almost anything edible....trout, bass, panfish, pike, you name it, I'm after it.  I have a map of every waterway in New York State, but whats the point? Some are surely pointless to go to.  ANY ADVICE would greatly be appreciated.  Nothing specific needed....just some good creek, stream, river names to hit......All the sites are giving me a headache.....unfortunately i find few to be specific enough.  Most say: "March, April, May.  Good trout times for eastern territory.....use small spinners or fly gear".....WOW?! let me drive around for days with no luck:(.........PLEASE HELP....THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I'm in the EASTERN REGION....in Cohoes, which is in Albany County.....Thanks again

8 Replies Related Threads

MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: !HELP! Need experienced advice 2008/03/30 20:14:39 (permalink)
    The Kadeross is pretty good for trout . use some salted minnows and worms . Unless you plan on Fly fishing .  

Its right in Balston spa / Saratoga .  The walleyes are on in the mohawk right now but they are out of season till May .

Good Luck .
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: !HELP! Need experienced advice 2008/03/31 17:59:08 (permalink)
    glock:
    i have to say i hear this question so many times ? "Where can i catch fish?". My answer is quite simple , any where there is water.
    Now no disrespect intended, you really need to do some basic homework or if you really want to be PUT on fish hire a guide.Not looking to self promote but with the price of fuel, the guide is really your best savings.
    But here i will give you the Basics, do research for the intended target species.
    The internet is the fast lane for this, read the post's here, research this site:  http://www.dec.ny.gov/index.html
    it has all the information any New York Angler would ever need.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: !HELP! Need experienced advice 2008/03/31 19:26:07 (permalink)
    Every Thursday the Times Union has fishing reports in the sports section .... Here the last one .

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=675665&category=LEBRUNOUT&BCCode=&newsdate=3/31/2008
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: !HELP! Need experienced advice 2008/04/06 20:42:12 (permalink)
    Forgot the Schenectady Gazzette also has the too on Thursday ...   but not oline ya got to buy the paper ...
    post edited by REEL FORCE - 2008/04/06 20:43:24
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: !HELP! Need experienced advice 2008/04/07 10:29:48 (permalink)
    Glock:  Near the end of April through May the Hudson River gets a run of Striped Bass and shad.  Much different tackle for each species, but both can be caught from shore, but the shad are caught much easier.  Use light tackle (long rod helps) small jigs and/or Shad Darts which you will find in local tackle shops or Dicks.  The small shop owners will steer you towards what works and where you can access the river.  There's a linear park along the river that runs from Albany to the Troy dam -- just look for other fishermen as they tend to congregate near the best spots. Where did you move from?
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: !HELP! Need experienced advice 2008/04/07 20:03:02 (permalink)
    Just a note:
    keep up on the current regs:
    No shad may be kept from the Hudson River and stripers are 1 per day 18" and up

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: !HELP! Need experienced advice 2008/04/07 23:08:11 (permalink)
    If you're looking for trout in the Capitol District, some streams to hit are Battenkill, Metawie (Wash Co), Wallomsac, Wynantskill, Poestenkill (Renss. Co), Kinderhook (Rens/Colum. Co), Kayderosseras, Snook Kill, Geyser Crk, Glowegee Crk (Saratoga co)
    My advice is buy one of those big laminated map books of the area (they run about $20) they show all the back roads you need to take to hit these spots.
    As those astute anglers before me have stated, you can't beat the Hudson in May if you can muscle into a spot.
    Shad have been hard to come by in the last couple seasons. C & R regs shouldn't bother us 'cos who keeps them anyway?  It's a disgrace the commercial guys can net them by thousands and they're worried about a bunch of shore fishermen taking them. Clueless.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: !HELP! Need experienced advice 2008/04/08 20:57:03 (permalink)
    Spring opener is awesome, I am so looking forward to getting back up there with flygear/my ultra light gear/my medium action spooning and trolling rods! Just would like to share what makes any fishing spot enjoyable..a clean fishing spot. Please remember what a privledge it is to fish and by helping keep it clean by picking up any stream or lake shore garbage..like empty cans ..think glass bottles on fishing spots should be illegal imo.. also , please roll up any garbage fishing lines.. i roll it up and use a lighter right there on the spot to melt it harmless. Please respect what is left of our great outdoors!
    Jump to: