3.26.08 Trip to the Tribs

Author
TJBKR01
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/28 12:04:18 (permalink)

3.26.08 Trip to the Tribs

We locked in the cruise control at 3:30am Wednesday morning leaving Clarksburg in our rearview mirror and the headlights pointed on Erie.  With the weather being the main ingredient, Erie tributaries change as often as the second hand of a clock.

Weather had shown a light rain off and on throughout the night.  Temps had actually been a little bit warmer than originally expected.  It was up into the 40s.  What that created was alot of runoff from the snowmelt.  Add those items together and you get some high water.  All we wanted was to add some color, well it did do that too.
We got to our spot on the Elk and ready to fish by 8:00.  The small waterfall didnt exist.  It had been replaced with a class III rapid that was pretty murky in color.  Determined I climbed over the bank and tried anyhow.  However, by the time threw in at the top, my line was already 30yds downstream.  We were pretty bummed out.  So back down the road we went.

We dropped anchor at Walnut with some greener tinted water.  The flow was still stronger though, but at this point, we had to make due.  We found a few steelies.  I landed 1, while my buddy landed 4. He did find a couple of smolts also. Some of our spots on Walnut were just too strong of flow to fish.  We really had to hit the outside edges of everywhere we fished.  Was still a good trip. Always better than being at work.  Got back to Clarksburg at 10:30 last night. 

Here are a few Pics.

The bottom of the Chutes

The falls

This is what the falls felt like

Hookin up in the Manchester

Nice male steelie

I was starting to get hungry.  Is this from a Lamprey?  It was a good 4" long x 2" wide.

Mouth of Trout Run

Ice = No waves

I wish I lived closer!

2 Replies Related Threads

seejib
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: 3.26.08 Trip to the Tribs 2008/03/28 12:44:20 (permalink)
    Nice pics, I'll bet that fixed your hunger....lol   Have you ever been on the east side tribs? They can be very rewarding when west is too fast. 20 mile can be the same as Elk they both reach well above I90 and have alot of fall and melt off. 20 mile is full of smolt north of rt5. It looked like a few thousand, probably a exaggeration though. If you use msn maps and directions and get a "birdseye view" of the tribs. I plan on hittin 20mile up into NY. There will be fish well into may up there.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: 3.26.08 Trip to the Tribs 2008/03/28 13:55:54 (permalink)
    That doesn't look like any Lamprey mark I've ever seen.  Looks more like a coon or coyote flipped it over and tried to make a meal of it before it got away.  Nasty lookin wound that for sure.

Great Pics BTW, looks like the water was pretty high, should be good for this weekend.

Sure would love to fish a waveless lake at Trout run. 
    post edited by smallhook - 2008/03/28 13:56:44
    Jump to: