USGS sighting

Author
finhed
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/27 14:30:20 (permalink)

USGS sighting

Ran down to the `nut this afternoon to see how the stream was. While I was there I saw the USGS installing a solar powered something or other. I'm assuming it's a stream gauge? I remember hearing something about it a while back. Anyone have any definite info?

10 Replies Related Threads

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/27 16:03:59 (permalink)
    I talked with a couple of the USGS fellows last fall while they were installing some hardware for what I believe they said was a stream gauge.  My guess is that they are working on getting it operational.  It will be interesting if they post the data on the internet.  It would help a lot of people to get a better idea of what the streams look like.

pax vobiscum +
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/27 16:44:38 (permalink)
    Whats so hard about going 2 days after a big rain?

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/27 17:09:11 (permalink)
    Waste of money, if you ask me...
    I agree with swinger.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/27 17:19:00 (permalink)
    When I spoke with them last fall, they were talking about other thing as well such as water quality monitors, and such. The gauge will be used to check stream flow, back flow, sediment flow. Use of the gauge to determine fishing conditions MIGHT be a side benefit, but it was not even a cosideration in the decision to place one there.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/27 17:59:00 (permalink)
    Okay then...

Than that would be money well spent!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Stack Monkey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/27 23:34:45 (permalink)
    It's all in the name of science.  Which, in case you haven't noticed, actually plays a pretty important role in fishing. 
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/28 11:48:31 (permalink)
    Mike,

I don't KNOW that it is money well spent, but it does have a purpose not related to fishing. I "believe" it was Fairview twp. that asked for it. Not sure why.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/28 13:02:45 (permalink)
    Not that it will happen, but an instrument like that can provide valuable information in the future for those looking to improve walnut marina and access.  Any thing that gathers accurate data on our streams is money well spent.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    CKM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/28 13:50:28 (permalink)
    The primary reason for installing this apparatus is to provide data for the purpose of modeling E. coli loading from the tributaries into Lake Erie.  A chronic problem of  bacterial contamination has led to beach closings on Presque Isle.  The DEP has been charged by state and local (elected) officials with monitoring the problem, identifying potential sources and determining if remediation is possible.   This effort is a collaborative effort between PA Sea Grant, PA Dept of Environmental Protection, Erie County Health Department, USGS, NOAA, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, Millcreek Township and the SONS of Lake Erie

The station will record and display real time data on stream conditions, including discharge, stream height, temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH, turbidity, and conductivity.  The DEP will also adopt this site as a WQN site and periodically collect water samples for nutrients, bacteria counts and conduct surveys of macro invertebrates and fish tissue analysis. 

The physical/chemical data from the gauging station is collected in real-time at 15 minute intervals, stored onsite, and then transmitted to USGS offices.   Data from real-time sites are relayed to USGS offices via satellite and are will be available for viewing at the USGS National Water information System: Web Interface site.

Additionally, as a service to out of town steelhead anglers,  this state of the art gauging station will provide anglers with accurate information on current stream conditions at Walnut Creek.
    post edited by CKM - 2008/03/28 15:14:01
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: USGS sighting 2008/03/28 23:03:05 (permalink)
    I would think that it should be the DEP charged with monitoring the e-coli situation.   Good info, thanks.......

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Jump to: