IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act.

Author
Little35
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/26 10:40:59 (permalink)

IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act.

I picked this up from another website. I think it is very important to ACT NOW!!! At the bottom there are links to a video interview, FAQs, and how to contact your congressmen.

This is a New Bill re-worded, AND also to exempt CHARTER BOATS, CAPTAINS GET ON THIS.

What are the differences in the bills?

Both HR 2550 and S. 2067 articulate the definition of a recreational boat and then exempt recreational boats from the permit requirement of the Clean Water Act.

The new bill, S. 2766, includes all that language, with two additions. Charter boats are exempted from the permit and there is a three year, three part framework to determine if any management practices should be required.

March 19, 2008

Dear BoatUS Member,

We need your help now to pass NEW federal legislation in the Senate that would provide a permanent exemption for recreational boats from the upcoming EPA discharge permit requirement. Remember that if we don't get legislation passed, we all need to get EPA permits to operate our boats effective 9/30/08!

We appreciate the time that many of you have already taken to let your Senators or Representatives know your support of S. 2067 or HR 2550 "The Recreational Boating Act of 2007." Now there is a new Senate Bill #2766 "The Clean Boating Act of 2008", which is more politically viable, and our best chance to eliminate the permit requirement before it comes in effect on September 30, 2008.

Please pick up the phone or email today and ask your Senators to sponsor and vote YES for S 2766. Although Congress is on recess this week and next, we need their staff to hear from us so that this bill can move as soon as the Senators are back in Washington.
For more information:
http://www.boatus.com/gov/alert_0308.asp
Background
What's the timing?
Why a new bill?
What are the differences in the bills?
What does S 2766 include?
View a copy of the bill
Speaking points
To contact your Senators electronically

Thanks for your ongoing help with this issue.

Margaret Podlich
Vice President, Government Affairs
BoatUS
GovtAffairs@BoatUS.com
703-461-2878 x8355

What people need to understand is that if the new version of the bill is not passed ALL BOATERS will have to buy an EPA permit that could cost $800.00 or more. The EPA does not have a choice. As the law is written right now they MUST create a permitting system for ALL boats by September of this year. Obviously this will cripple the boating industry as well as recreation. Time is running out!

Watch the video:

http://www.boattest.com/nmma.aspx

Contact your members of congress:

http://www.rallycongress.com/boattest-dotcom/1064

http://www.boatblue.org/takeaction.aspx

It takes probably less than 5 minutes to login and make your voices heard.

18 Replies Related Threads

Muddogaug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/27 08:56:47 (permalink)
    Boat owners please read this this is serious. The defacto E.P.A. and these enviromental groups facists are really out there on this one. I am not going to pay the E.P.A. one single penny to rightfully use my boat that I have owned for 15 years. And should no one else. I know there are those out there that think by passing law after bogus law will keep us SAFE and PROTECTED. Well by charging recreational boaters $800.00 this does not give me this all warm and fuzzy feeling of protection. The only warmth I feel is my a%# burning. Please contact your senators and congressmen to pass the new bill that exempts recreational boaters.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/27 11:03:05 (permalink)
    Wow, I can't believe this one....

I will do my part.

One thing is for sure, $800.00 is a lot of cash. They won't get a DIME out of me. I don't care if I have to row my sorry butt 4 miles out!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/27 11:08:10 (permalink)
    Is that $800 a one time deal??...

Well its about time to screw everything up i guess...What a bunch of B****...

They really dont want us to have anything do they???

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Stack Monkey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/27 23:27:41 (permalink)
    Here is a short article about it from Boating World:

Proposed Clean Boating Act Of 2008 Spells Relief
    By Jennifer Dennard
    The proposed Clean Boating Act of 2008 — recently introduced by Senate Environment and Public Works Chairwoman Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) — will create relief for recreational boaters and anglers from an impending court order that could require them to obtain a federal permit to operate their vessels.

The Clean Boating Act legislation — scheduled to be put into place in September 2008 if passed — restores an Environmental Protection Agency exemption for water-based, non-polluting incidental discharges such as engine coolant water and weather deck run-off that occur in the operation of a recreational boat. The proposed act makes a distinction between discharges from recreational boats and discharges from commercial ships.

“Without legislative relief soon, everyday boaters would be required by federal law to apply for the same expensive permits as ocean-going commercial vessels and land-based industrial facilities,” says Scott Gudes, vice president of government relations, National Marine Manufacturers Association. “We are pleased that Senators Boxer and Nelson recognize the economic, social and cultural significance of the recreational marine industry and recreational boating, and are moving to enact this crucial piece of legislation.”
    BigSplash
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/28 17:36:37 (permalink)
    Everyone with as much as a canoe better jump on this!!!  Little35 is right.  I am as much for clean water as anyyone, probably more so, but this is rediculous!!!  Link onto the video Little35 has given us, and I know you will agree.  Thank you Little 35 for making us aware.  It took me less than 5 minutes to use his links to notify my congressmen.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/28 21:26:22 (permalink)
    The 2 magic names Boxer & Nelson - what else could you expect???
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/28 21:30:46 (permalink)
    That's what happens when you get Congressmen (&women) who think nothing of voting to spend  a million dollars like you & I spend $5.00 or $10.00, because it's not coming out of their pockets!
    Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/29 09:01:25 (permalink)
    They are environmentalist wackos.  Does any of this surprise you? Expect more of this type of BS if a certain party wins the white house in november.
    Muddogaug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/29 12:02:17 (permalink)
    If you read into it you will see that Boxer and Nelson are sponsering a bill to exempt recreational boats. Not pushing in the regular clean water act bill.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/29 19:52:01 (permalink)
    like to see somebody take 800 rolled up $1 bills and shove it up the $$$ of the criminal that thought this deal up.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/30 13:51:04 (permalink)
    Exactly ! We need to back Boxer and Nelson's legislation relief as recreational boaters.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/30 17:54:04 (permalink)
    WHY DO WE NEED MORE LAWS, WHEN IT IS ALREADY ILLEGAL TO POLLUTE WHETHER YOU'RE COMMERCIAL OR RECREATIONIST???
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/30 18:00:32 (permalink)
    Politicians pass laws to look good to special interest groups.
    It does not matter if the law is just repeating other laws with different wording.
    Morons that propose these laws are just a bunch of azz kissing sellouts that do not represent most people!
    otwobriefly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/30 20:16:00 (permalink)
    canoers,boaters,walkers,runners,hikers,bikers,fisherman,hunters,and any combination of the above.We are a minority and probably screwed.Too many people sit back and look for something to get ****ed about,STAND STRONG, we will prevail!!!!!
    otwobriefly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/03/30 20:19:02 (permalink)
    I HOPE
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/04/05 14:14:52 (permalink)
    What's next, a clean wader law ????
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/04/05 23:34:14 (permalink)
    dont say that too loud, it just might happen. i'm waiting for the day you need a bicycle license, and have to take your motorcycle, gasoline powered tools(weed eater, chainsaw, lawn mower, etc...) in for an emission test.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: IMPORTANT NEW clean boat act info, please act. 2008/04/08 18:52:00 (permalink)
    Heres the response from Phil English

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for H.R. 2550, the Recreational Boating Act of 2007. It is good to hear from you.

Representative Gene Taylor introduced H.R. 2550 on May 24, 2007. This legislation would amend the Federal Water Pollution Control Act to redefine the term "pollutant" to exclude any deck runoff from a recreational vessel. This bill would declare however, that such exclusion does not apply to rubbish, trash, garbage, or any other such materials discharged overboard by a recreational vessel.

H.R 2550 has been referred to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure for further review. Please be assured, should this legislation be brought to the House floor for a vote, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me to express your support for H.R. 2550. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or any other issue of importance to you.

Sincerely,

Phil English
    Member of Congress

Jump to: