Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6352
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/22 17:46:03 (permalink)

Matching the Del Monte hatch

Gentlemen,
     Just returned from one of my excursions to the Cumberland.  We fished the project waters by the hatchery since the river was UP and unwadeable.
     We (my grandson and I) fished for about 4 hours and were skunked.  Oh we had some bites and a couple of fish on but nothing substantial.  Seems the fish were only hitting on Del Monte Home Style Corn.  I watched about 6 people catching fish after fish and all were using the Del Monte.  The deep gold stuff not the bright yellow.  Makes me wonder what they are feeding these stockies here in KY.
      Now I need to find some Del Monte Flies.  I'm thinking an egg pattern or a scrambled egg pattern should do the trick.  I almost resorted to trying some myself, but neither my grandson nor I took the "bait"!  "Pun  Intended"  He is a dyed in the wool fly fisherman.  But as he said to me:  Pappy, is corn considered live bait or dead bait?
     Even though no fish were caught it was fun watching him and the progress he has made.  Now he is thinking of trying to tie; and I am encouraging him completely.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

1 Reply Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Matching the Del Monte hatch 2008/03/23 18:19:14 (permalink)
    hope that corn pattern works out for him.  I get mine fron the jolly green giant.
    Jump to: