Stream temperature/smallies

Author
ronnie84
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 580
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/09 03:14:34 (permalink)

Stream temperature/smallies

I know this typically occurs in late April or May, but I'm not sure what the ideal temperature has to be for them to show up in numbers...I'm guessing 55? What is found to be the magic number?

By the way, does anyone here put a decent amount of time in targeting them in the tribs? I'd heard stories of about a hundred smallmouth in the Manchester Hole, into June! Not necessarily all four or five pounders, but none the less...

1 Reply Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Stream temperature/smallies 2008/03/09 09:27:22 (permalink)
    I normally make atleast 2 trips to fish em, so I wouldn't say I put alot of time in but typically they start to show up around the first week of trout in fishable numbers.  I wouldn't know the water temp that is magical to get them active.  Usually the lower ends of the tribs r where I fish for them.  The past few years i've only made it to fish for them at the end of april when they r still pre spawn and didn't pick up lots of fish, maybe a dozen or so in an all day fish.  But the size is very well worth it.  I've fished it june before after the spawn finishes up and done very well, but like I said I haven't done it in a few years.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    Jump to: