Anyone ever buff a john boat?

Author
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/08 18:59:26 (permalink)

Anyone ever buff a john boat?

Ok, I decided I DO NOT want to paint my boat, i wanna buff it to a gloss finish. My question is this, is there a polish that wouldnt require me to wet sand that would rip right through the heavy oxidation? Or am I simply dreaming. Second, does anyone have any expierence with bare metal clears. Once I get this thing to a mirror finish I want to keep it that way. I want to be able to throw a coat of wax on it once or twice a year and forget it. Im going to use my DA pneumatic sander with a buffing head to go at it, so im not to worried about elbow grease... i want it to cut! As far as the clear, nothing in a spray can, I need it in quart form so I can spray it with the HVLP gun.

Any insight into products much appreciated. Ive been looking at 3m aluminum restorer and polish.

Much thanks to everyone whos been keeping up with my process and chiming in.

9 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/08 20:00:31 (permalink)
    Are you sure you want the boat so shiney it reflects all sunlight into the water?? I painted the bottom of my boat blue like the sky.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/08 20:14:08 (permalink)
    Yeah, I want it bling bling... blings!

Plus, I dont want paint on it, because I will fish the river a lot and thats a reciepe for CONSTANT repainting.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/03/08 20:15:59
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/08 20:17:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Are you sure you want the boat so shiney it reflects all sunlight into the water?? I painted the bottom of my boat blue like the sky.

Look at it like this... with a mirror finish, it should reflect the bottom onto the bottom of the boat, that will really confuse the fish, maybe they will just jump in.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/08 20:59:36 (permalink)
    You don't want to paint the bottom, but want to paint it with a clear coat. What do you think is going to happen the first time you scrape a rock or put the bow onto the bank. It might not happen the first time but sooner or later the clear coat will scrape off just like paint. You said it has oxidation, which leads me to believe that it is bare metal now. Once you put it in the water and use it a few times the oxidation should wear off on it own.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6343
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/08 22:30:24 (permalink)
    Jeremy,
         Just about any good body shop should be able to put you on to many products that will strip the paint.  As for buffing just get some rubbing compound in differing grits, start with the heaviest and work your way down to the finest.  If you really want "BLING" try using jewlers' rouge for the final buff.  You can also do machine turning if you have way too much time on your hands.  That is when you take a round piece of sponge attached to a drill jig  (make your own) and then you go back over the polished surface and make round, interlocking circles on the surface with coarse grit.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/09 00:55:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 2dog

You don't want to paint the bottom, but want to paint it with a clear coat. What do you think is going to happen the first time you scrape a rock or put the bow onto the bank. It might not happen the first time but sooner or later the clear coat will scrape off just like paint. You said it has oxidation, which leads me to believe that it is bare metal now. Once you put it in the water and use it a few times the oxidation should wear off on it own.

Aluminum oxidation isnt going to wear off from water. Yeah, I realize the clear will get scraped up, but bare metal showing through paint will be alot more noticable then clear coming off, the bottom im not to concerned about getting oxidized again but the sides I want them to stay looking nice as long as possible. Also, the clear that you use to cover bare metal is flexible. Paint just chips.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/09 03:30:28 (permalink)
    Use bed liner.
    It comes in many colors and is about the most durable finish you could use.
    Spray it on or just use a roller.
    Truck beds are sprayed with a few layers so don't worrh about it being thick or heavy.
    Chip guard would also work.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/09 11:30:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Use bed liner.
    It comes in many colors and is about the most durable finish you could use.
    Spray it on or just use a roller.
    Truck beds are sprayed with a few layers so don't worrh about it being thick or heavy.
    Chip guard would also work.

I read about a guy doing that and he said it created so much drag on the boat that he wouldnt do it again.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anyone ever buff a john boat? 2008/03/09 18:45:06 (permalink)
    Well, today I ripped out that rotten transom. Im documenting this stuff on film(video and pics). When im done, I will post it.

After looking at the boat some more today I dont think its just oxidized, I think its been painted at some point. I am NOT stripping all that paint. I will scuff it with the pnuematic sander, wipe it down with thinner, shoot it with self etching primer and paint it with the cheap cabelas paint. Forget that shine idea.
    Jump to: