Close encounter of a bear kind..

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/07 13:39:06 (permalink)

Close encounter of a bear kind..

Went to work this morning to cut logs in the ANF.

I am working within 75 yds of my landing when I go to push some tree tops out of the way and I see something dark in a divot in the woods. It is half obscured by a tree top and I thought it was just a big old porky pricker.

So I climb off the skidder to investigate and here is a small bear laying under a tree top. I move the skidder about 50 yds away cause if it's a bear den I'll have to cut some where else.

I walk over and get about 5 feet away to see if he is awake and I can see him moving around a little. Then he pokes his head out and looks me right in the face at 2 yrds. They have the beadiest little black eyes.

He was okay with that until I said something to him. Then he proceeded to climb out of the tree top and amble down through the woods. He probably only weighed 125. Was pretty skinny and still a little sluggish.

He must have come out of hibernation the last thaw. I don't think he could have been where he was at all winter it wasn't covered very well.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

20 Replies Related Threads

sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/07 16:40:17 (permalink)
    theres nothing like seeing a bear up close i had one with in 20  yeards while archery before it was awsome
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/24 23:55:48 (permalink)
    Cool stuff, there is nothing I like seeing up in the woods better than bear.  Up close gets interesting sometimes, but always cool.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/25 20:41:13 (permalink)
    I was hunting just outside of Eldred, in Mckean county at my camp.  I had a 600 pounder come barreling out of a thicket 10 yrds in front of me.  I was walking down a logging road in a hollow, and he stopped in front of me, we connected eyes, and he was gone like a bat out of hell. I know black bears will not do anything, but I turned around and went back up that hill, that was a big old bear, and at 10 yrds, it gets your heart pumping. 

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/25 20:55:31 (permalink)
    you bet it will krott243 the one i saw was small and my heart was racing
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/25 21:41:12 (permalink)
    Hunting Bradford this year i had one run right in front of me while walking in to my stand opening day...I guess something spooked him...Very very large animal..the earth shakes under their feet when they run...Froze in my tracks...awesome sight...too scared to really enjoy it...lol

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/26 02:34:57 (permalink)
    Last year near bradford my brother was archery hunting and got caught at the base of an apple tree with the sow shaking apples of one side and the 4 cubs eating them on the other side......very interesting to say the least........

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/26 08:36:24 (permalink)
    Krott more people have been mauled and killed by black bears than by grizzleys
    ORIGINAL: krott243

I was hunting just outside of Eldred, in Mckean county at my camp.  I had a 600 pounder come barreling out of a thicket 10 yrds in front of me.  I was walking down a logging road in a hollow, and he stopped in front of me, we connected eyes, and he was gone like a bat out of hell. I know black bears will not do anything, but I turned around and went back up that hill, that was a big old bear, and at 10 yrds, it gets your heart pumping. 
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/26 10:29:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RELAYER

Krott more people have been mauled and killed by black bears than by grizzleys
    ORIGINAL: krott243

I never knew that. Thanks for the info.  I have run into dozens of bears, even some with cubs and none have really looked me down. 

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/26 12:21:07 (permalink)
    I would like to see that data, relayer.  I'm not discounting it, just like to see it.

I've been close to both grizzly and black bear.  As you might suspect, more often black.  Closest was about 6-7 feet.   I've got one on viedo camera at about 15 feet walking straight for me.  Wish I could post a clip of it.

Whatever the case or the data, coming face to face with both kind, will get your heart pumpin'.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/26 12:29:13 (permalink)
    I was turkey hunting at college the morning of my graduation when I saw one.  20 yards straight ahead...I thought a gobbler had come in silent when I caught the black movement between two trees.  Turns out he or she must have slept there during the night and was just waking up and stretching for the day.  Never saw me and it just went on it's way - thankfully not toward me.  I was guessing it was about 250 to 300. 

I'm glad I didn't walk that 20 extra yards in the woods that morning....the tree it was under seemed like a nice spot to set up for Mr. Longbeard.  I would have stepped right on it.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/26 13:31:14 (permalink)
    SK -

I have read in a couple places (can't remember exactly where, but probably hunting & outdoors magazines mostly) that black bears usually attack people to kill.  Whether it's for a meal or just for s***s & giggles, I'm not sure. What I've read says that grizzlys usually attack to defend territory.  While they sometimes result in death, they usually just attack to stop a perceived threat and will stop when they no longer consider a human a threat.  I think I remember reading that most black bear attacks on humans end in death.  The advice was to fight off a black bear attack when able and to play dead with grizzlys so that they no longer perceive you as a threat. 

Like I said, that's just what I remember reading.  Haven't seen any hard evidence or studies to support those claims. 
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/26 20:07:56 (permalink)
    I may be wrong, but I always thought that grizzleys and browns were the most aggressive bears, besides the polar bear. Blacks I thought really only be aggressive with cubs around, and its mainly the sow bears.  I know there are not many attacks in PA.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/03/26 20:49:26 (permalink)
    i've come across a lot of black bears up here in the ANF for many years. if they aren't looking at me i do nothing, if they are walking at me or stopped to look at me i've always move a bit to let them know i'm there. the smaller ones 200lbs or less run the other way. the bigger ones usualy walk away. the latest was last year i was fishing millstone creek down from loletta camp ground. i heard something coming towards the creek i was in and it stopped 20feet at the most from me. i looked up at it as it looked down towards me. i just waved my hand slowly to let him know i was there. he shook his head and turned and trotted off. if he would have came closer.. well good thing i had on brown neoprenes!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dakotab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/04/23 11:50:22 (permalink)
    Maybe more people in Pa. are mauled by black and grizzlys but, there's only one reason for that.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/04/23 12:06:38 (permalink)
    Seems like there's more brown bear attacks in North America thru the decades.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America_by_decade

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/04/23 12:54:08 (permalink)
    Polar bears are most agressive followed by Grizzly with blacks bringing up the rear. It may seem like blacks are because there are over a million of them in North America compared to about 55,000 of the grizzly so your chance of an encounter are much greater. I killed a black in B.C. some years ago and had a Grizzly come in and take it away from us. We shot all around him as he came in trying to scare him but he seemed determined and when down to two shells we decided we really didn't want the black as much as he did. Just glad he stopped when he reached the half skinned carcass.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/04/23 22:53:48 (permalink)
    I have had many encounters with Black Bears and they allways get my blood running. Only once did I get threatened by one. I was looking at a property that was for sale near Fertigs in Venango Co; in as the timber was semi hard cut a few years before it was choked with blackberrie canes. About 60 yds away I heard coarse blowing and looking that way I watched three little cubs shinnieng up a tall cherry tree. I guess I was being dumb thinking they were far enough away and just stood there. It was so thick with brambles that I couldn't see anything on the ground between me and the tree. However when that sow came at me I knew I could be in trouble because she was smashing everything on her way and fast. I was on a skidder road and backed to the other side. She came out of those brambles at ~ 5ft from me with the hair up on her back  pounding on her front legs and blowing. Then she turned and went back, I looked around stunned not knowing what way to go, toward car took me closer to the cubs (not good), the way I came from on the skider road was a swamp, and behind me a wall of brambles. In less time than it took you to read the last sentance she charged again with the same warning, and turned around again. I tell my friends I just refused to fight a female, and I quickly turned both****cheeks as I scooted through those brambles. However since I don't know any of you I guess I can admit I was a coward and didn't want any part of that bear male or female, and was never so glad to get into my vehicle seat in my life.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/04/24 01:40:26 (permalink)
    tree, Ida done the same thing, yer no coward, just wise!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/04/24 06:44:12 (permalink)
    When they start wulfing at you  they mean business.Good call on the retreat.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Close encounter of a bear kind.. 2008/04/24 14:49:05 (permalink)
    Hope the doors not locked....
    post edited by Over the Hill - 2008/04/24 14:53:20

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    Jump to: