stream dos and don’ts ???

Author
shank_Master
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/05 16:11:37 (permalink)

stream dos and don’ts ???

Ok this happened a few months  back  But  I don’t know about  most I love fishing And don’t mind lending advice  here and there to guys  on the stream I am no pro  but been around a little while  . any way I was  on elk there was only a few guys  a  man and son asked if they could fish  next to me “ sure  I said  plenty of stream “ any way  the steelies  were  kind a slow  .. than all of  sudden like they do   turned right on  caught 4  and a few broke me  off  The guy above me hit a few . Any way  the man  with his son was fishing with  minnows and not doing very good at all  so he asks  me  what I was catching them  on I said  FLIES   so as we talked, this was his second trip to Erie  and my  10 th year fishing the tribs . So I offered him a few flies for him and his son Showed him   a few quick tips . And when a few mins  he hooked on than his son ..  So the guy up form  me started rolling his eyes   and muttering under his breath .. I just thought  he was having an off day .. a few hours  go by  and  the man and son leave  thanking me after catching a few fish .. after they leave   the Grinch above me says  And I quote “  I should learn how to mind my own business “ if people  don’t know how to fish they should not be here !” now  I didn’t know  what to say  but   mutterd  there is enough fish for everyone   ..  Wow is there  some rule  I don’t know about ?  that’s  not the first time  some  has  not liked  giving advice ,  its  not like  they  did something bad  like snagging your line to see what your using   better yet the trickler   that  slides  in above  your spot when your taking your fish off   and steals  half your drift  and says  am I too close LOL

Just wondering if I missed the class on stream dos and don’ts

27 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 16:35:44 (permalink)
    Giving advice is bad, m-kay. 

Around here, we don't take kindly to folks who take time to help folks out.

Sounds like there was a decent Crumudgeon hatch on Elk that day.  They don't always show themselves, but they're unmistakable when they do.  Keep up the good work.  You may have helped that father provide a foundation for a lifetime's enjoyment for the youngin'.
    SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 16:47:39 (permalink)
    People like that honestly make me sick. You helped out a father and son and definitely made both of their days. People like that guy above you should just stay the hell home with that attitude. People like him are the kind of people that make this world the way it is. It reminded me of when I was young and wanted to get into fishing and I went to Grey's outfitters to get some advice. The owner Jon Grey was just like that guy, real rude and treated me like an idiot. I was twelve years old and I know how I felt then. To say the least it is important to help the youth and you did! Hats off!!!!

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 16:57:25 (permalink)
    What ashame i had that happen to me at Elk as well it was Early in the year, Water was gin clear, hundreds of fish locked up along the bank above the access. I was their fishing throwing flash jigs and hammering fish. This young kid about 14 yrs old asked me what i was using so i took the time gave him my centerpin showed him how to work the jig and reel so we didn't get a nest. Wasn't 5 Min's he hooks into his first steel of the day. Now not ever using a pin the kid had some troubles, after a few Min's he landed his fist steelhead. You would have thought that i gave that kid a thousand dollars. I take his pic for him and he wants to keep his fish. Next thing you know i see this guy that was fishing about 15 yards to my left heading my way. He stands right where i was and starts fishing, I turned to him said hey excuse me i was fishing their i am helping this kid catch some fish. His reply was If i wanted to teach i should have got a job as a school teacher. So i got ****ed. I walked in right next to his shoulder me and the kid, i threw out and hammered a steelies right in front of him, so i gave the kid the rod to fight the fish, What does this jag off do, throws over my line and tangles us up. I was so hot we had a few choice words, after restringing, This guy throws back out and this time his jig goes in the bushes ,whats he do wades right into the middle of the hole cross the creek, fish scatter every which way so he can retrieve his jig. That was the icing on the cake. Me and about 5 other people let this guy have it. I mean have it!    Then he proceeds to just walk away like nothing happened. You gotta love the jag offs like that. Should be able to just knock them out and drag them up on the bank.

Centerpin_drift!~

Get the Drift !!!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 17:14:54 (permalink)
    Its called greed!

You should feel good about what you did because IMO, you did the right thing!

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 17:23:36 (permalink)
    Do what you believe/know to be right, and tell anyone that has a problem with it to pound skein.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 17:36:45 (permalink)
    Well said spoon,i am sure everyone has had some sort of incident like these listed just goes to show it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

I have become comfortably numb
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 17:50:57 (permalink)
    Some folks just don't get it.  I don't mind helping people. Heck people helped me from time to time.  What I don't like is rude people or people when you try to help them, they take offense.

I was watching a guy this fall on Walnut in the project area trying to line fish.  I said something to him, like you might want to not do that, especially here where the Fish Comm. Officers spend time watching the fisherman.  The guy gets all in my face and says I was doing the same thing.  I proceed to show him how what I was doing, which was swinging buggers was not the same as what he was doing, which was lining fish.  I even hooked a fish landed it and pointed out to the guy where the hook was, the point was inside of the mouth, not on the outside...  Anyway the guy accuses me of not knowing what I was talking about and because I was using a fly rod, I could legally snag fish....  I tried to give the guy some advice and he jumped in my stuff.  From now on, I will mind my own business and just snicker to myself when a Fish warden busts guys like that for snagging fish.
    post edited by Bughawk - 2008/03/05 17:52:15

pax vobiscum +
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 17:52:57 (permalink)
    Next time, send him swimming. If he asks for help, tell him he shouldn't be there if he can't swim.
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 18:16:42 (permalink)
    I'm not a great fisherman, but I do catch fish.  The reason I catch them is from guidance and advice from some friends.  If you are not willing to pass that on, then you should not be fishing.  Shank, I think you did the right thing.
    saxon1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 18:27:36 (permalink)
    Bug:
          How about we stand next to each other this coming Fall and snicker together ?  Ought to be a hoot,

Mike
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 18:43:49 (permalink)
    Kids first, then newbies, then the rest of us. All the time, every time.
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 18:50:11 (permalink)
    the way i look at it if my grandpa, friends dad, and a few others i met fishing didn't help me i wouldn't be as good as i am today and probly wouldn't even like fishing why not help others get good and love doing it
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 19:09:00 (permalink)
    Bug - I quietly mentioned something similar to a guy on Walnut a few years ago. He and his boy(about 12) were using spoons and riping them through schools of fish and occasionally snagging a few and keeping them. The second time I approached him I told him he wasn't setting a very good example - that's when he told me to mind my own F$%k##g business. I took two steps back and yelled at him "Don't worry buddy I won't tell anyone you're snagging fish and keeping them", and walked away. About an hour later I saw him walking toward me with no pole - not sure what he was up to.
    He came over to me and apoligized for his behavior to both me and my adult son who was fishing with me.

Sometimes people do regret what they do or say and try to make quick amends. It probably took some brass and humility to do what he did.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 20:03:53 (permalink)
    Shank_Master, keep up the good work of helping those youngsters. I don't mind helping a kid out if he's having trouble catching fish. Heck I'll help any one that ask. Next time someone tells you to mind your own business like that guy did, tell him you are. Then ask what business it is of his if you help someone else. I'm 50 and still get advise from fellow fishermen. Just because you've fished all your life doesn't mean you know everything.

Wally Cat, could be that the guy apologized got caught?
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 20:08:17 (permalink)
    I would have told him to kiss my @$$

You did the right thing!
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 20:13:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Wally Cat

Bug - I quietly mentioned something similar to a guy on Walnut a few years ago. He and his boy(about 12) were using spoons and riping them through schools of fish and occasionally snagging a few and keeping them. The second time I approached him I told him he wasn't setting a very good example - that's when he told me to mind my own F$%k##g business. I took two steps back and yelled at him "Don't worry buddy I won't tell anyone you're snagging fish and keeping them", and walked away. About an hour later I saw him walking toward me with no pole - not sure what he was up to.
    He came over to me and apoligized for his behavior to both me and my adult son who was fishing with me.

Sometimes people do regret what they do or say and try to make quick amends. It probably took some brass and humility to do what he did.

I have the fish commissions number in my cell phone, along with the game commission, i dont tolerate snagging, fishing out of season or road hunting, i dont warn anyone.

Its as simple as "Good afternoon, i just observed(description of person/vehicles) in (insert area) doing (insert legal activity) can you please send someone out".

We gotta police our waters/woods ourselves, there just isnt enough officers.
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 20:29:08 (permalink)
    that happened to me last during the trout opener, i let like a 10 year old kid use some of my bait ( very small trout egg sacs) and he was catching fish, and a guy told me that i should let the kid fish on his own and that i shouldnt be giving advice because he said im still a "kid" myself...
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 20:30:13 (permalink)
    Shank,

Don't worry about it you were doing the right thing.  Some people just don't get it...

ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I have the fish commissions number in my cell phone, along with the game commission, i dont tolerate snagging, fishing out of season or road hunting, i dont warn anyone.

Its as simple as "Good afternoon, i just observed(description of person/vehicles) in (insert area) doing (insert legal activity) can you please send someone out".

We gotta police our waters/woods ourselves, there just isnt enough officers.

I thought that was the way to do it, but they never once sent anyone out.  The one year I watched people keeping fish in early march on a regualar stocked stream by my house, I called the fish commission 3 times.  All 3 times they told me their on duty officers were busy.  This was for 3 different days over the course of 2 weeks.  They called me back about 2 weeks after the last time I tried call them and apologized to ME!  They should have apologized to all the people who legally fish there during season.  I know I was doing the right thing and I will continue to do the same. 

As far as warning people, you have a rule book, thats your warning.  It is YOUR responsibility to understand the rules and regulations of the particular area you desire to fish. 
    shank_Master
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 20:30:42 (permalink)
    That’s was my whole train of thought! The guy brought his kid fishing and   I could see the frustration   on them .. Standing right next to someone and they are hooking up left and right and you are just standing there catching a cold. Been there had it happen more than once . cant stand  it especially when  you  know the  stream and   were the fish are  laying( or think they are  laying  ) But  the  kid was 13 or 14  and That’s  why I did what I did   besides   after chattingwith them  it was the dads  second trip up and his boys first  trip .  the point is  fishing  has skill  not all luck .. and we were all new at one point  I remember  years a go when the tribs didn’t produce  the numbers they do now  but back when 3 or 4 steelies were a good  day  and   went a hole season with one fish  reeled in  and the disgusted feeling putting  the fish back because  I snagged it .. I was lucky I had a brother-in-law that’s been  fishing erie  years  before me  hetaught  me all the basics and still teaches me things . I was lucky … at one time  he was the Guru  but after years  of trial and error   we  now compete   its fun  but would seem  he has  held back some secrets LOL point is   and I have said this many times   when I see   kids on the stream  I hope they do better   and say a little prayer  for them  because  its means a lot more to them   to catch fish than me   as for the guys that  I don’t give advice  is the  ones snagging  fish ect….  What goes around and comes  around  besides  its not sporting  to snag  a fish   but to entice them to strike..     is it not the idea  of  why this  board is here   to help and  suggest  new things help guys come to love the sport  of fishing.. what cant we carry that over in the streams .. Just one mans view
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 20:43:42 (permalink)
    Esox....In that case we law abiding anglers should have the right to make a citizen's arrest!  You did what was expected of you, why didn't the authorities do what was expected of them?  A story like yours really ****es me off!

chromeking13
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 21:32:53 (permalink)
    As a father...it would mean the world to me if someone would help make my kids day a time to remember...no matter what the situation.  Keep up the good work.

My wife said I golfed too much...so I started fishing.
    FisHMaNning
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/05 21:53:43 (permalink)
    as far as im concerned, there was a child involved... you probably made that father the happiest guy in the world watching his son hook into steelies.. not to mention the smile on that kids face....i dont mind sharing everything i know... as long as people are respectful about it but i always lend a tip to the kids if i get the chance.. heck sometimes i even whisper to them what to do and jokingly tell them not to tell their dad lol.. but either way thats the reason dads take their kids fishing is to make memories.... why spoil it being greedy. we were all kids at one time and remember how hard it was to not fool around and be bored a time or two when fishing was slow.. unless u were a freak of nature like me who was actually caught fishing in a mud puddle on my street because i wasnt allowed to go fishing that day... lol but come one make the kid happy some of you guys are fathers, i am only 20 it was only a nap away that i was using snoopy bobbers, but i had the drive. for as long as i can remember i could outlast anyone fishing... i just had no will to give up lol but im glad that u made the choice to help the guys out just my 2 cents
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/06 08:47:08 (permalink)
    I think you did right.  I am a father my son is 5.  He catches alot of fish.  The smile he has when he hooks a fish no matter what kind is just a memory that is one of the best.  I am sure it was for that dad also.  I have helped kids out on streams.  Tied hooks for them,untangle line,  give bait/lures.  2 years ago up in tionesta ther was a kid trying  to fish with his dad.  Neither were doing any good. I found out later that the dad was out for the first time also. I was below them catching a fair amount.  Told the kid to come down to where I was.  Fixed his rod up right showed him where to cast.  He got acouple of trout right away.  His dad came down and while we were talking his son caught a 22 inch brownie from that hole.  They were so excited it was great.  It made there trip and mine.  The father thanked me and tried to give me a cuple bucks for the hooks and bait I left them and I told him no.  Watching him and son was enough for me.  Good job to all you guys out there that help em out.  Thats how it is supposed to be.

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
    Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
    JDRCAR424
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/06 14:38:32 (permalink)
    I had a guy from Ridgeway one day help my son catch 3 -4 steelhead at Follys End. The guy said that he had not scene his grandson in 4-5 years and it was nice to have a little guy sit on his lap while he reeled in the fish.It was one of the best days on the water.My son asked the guy why he was so nice to him and he said it is the right thing to do.He left a memory but the best thing  was a lesson... My son now will always help kids when we are camping so they to can catch fish....Heres to all the good ole boys!!!!!!!!!!!
    Got My Pole Wet
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/06 14:52:05 (permalink)
    I wish I ran into more guy's like you on the Streams. Sometimes I fish an entire day and run into some real grumps. On rare ocasion do I find a friendly fisherman ready to lend a hand.
    1103ab
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/08 14:58:09 (permalink)
    I HAD CAUGHT A LOT OF TROUT IN MY SIXTY YEARS BUT FISHING FOR STEELHEAD WAS A DIFFERENT STORY. THE FIRST TIME I TRIED WHAT I HAD DONE FOR STOCKED TROUT, HOWEVER, THAT DID NOT WORK.  A YOUNG MAN, NAMED DWAYNE, NEXT TO MY FISHING BUDDY AND I STOPPED FISHING AND LED US THROUGH WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING TO HOOK FISH.  IT WASN'T WHAT WE HAD BEEN DOING.  WE HAVE SINCE STOPPED AND HELPED OTHERS WITH ADVICE AND FLIES OR BAIT IF IT WAS WORKING FOR US.  IT MAKES US FEEL LIKE WE HAD A GREAT DAY.

NO MAN STANDS SO TALL AS WHEN HE STOOPS TO HELP ANOTHER MAN!
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: stream dos and don’ts ??? 2008/03/09 15:49:51 (permalink)
    Hi Folkes,
    Actually it is Mrs. Trout About here, but I just wanted to add my two cents. 

My husband and I often end up giving "fishing" lessons to youngins and other anglers because learning only helps us to grow into better anglers.  My hubby is the champion of retreiving lost snoopy poles that have been pulled in while no one was looking.  If I can help someone to find a way to release the stress that the world places on us, than I have in a small way enriched the world. 

I fish because I enjoy the peace of the activity and have introduced many of my friends to the sport.  I just wish some people understood that it is called "fishing" for a reason and not "catching."  I fish for the thrill, pleasure and excitment; not to see who I can best. 

Just my two cents, but if I can help someone; I am fulfilling a basic human need.  That is to be important and worthy in the eyes of another. 
    post edited by Trout About - 2008/03/09 16:09:14
    Jump to: