March Madness!

Author
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/04 14:33:42 (permalink)

March Madness!

March is one of those months I consider a love/hate relationship....

I love the fact that I get everything done and ready for another great season on the water.
But, I hate the fact that the weather is so unpredictable and the water can't warm fast enough. I'm looking forward to a great year of bass fishing on the lake and the endless opportunities we have on Lake Erie.

It's that time of year agian that I drive my wife mad by cleaning out all the old gear, organizing all the tackle I'll never use in my lifetime. Cleaning the boat, and fixing everything I broke but was to caught up in the moment to fix last year.

Looking at all the lures I have collected over the years got me thinking....
How many of you buy lures, jigs, flies, etc that you never end up even casting at a fish? I know I've spent a ton of money over the years on gear that I will never use.

It always seems as though I use the same baits I've had success on over the years.

Come the end of March, I'll throw spinners for Pike. This buys me time and keeps my sanity until the smallmouth start their annual visit to the bay for the prespawn. Once they start to show, I'll start throwing tubes on the channel drops and flats. I normally start fishing the smallmouth early in the morning in the main bay and switch over to the LM bass on the flats for a good mid-day bite.

Regardless of how many differant baits I have in my box, I ALWAYS fish a TX rigged Berkley Power Worm. There is just something I love about the focus that is required while working a worm in the grass over spawning fish. The feel of the take, the pause, the hook set...man there ain't much I'd rather be doing....

Than comes good ol' summer. The bite is full blown crazy, the weather is warm, the chicks are jogging on the Pennisula.  Things are in full force.

The smallies are done and are moving out into the lake working schools of baitfish. THis is when I bust out the drop **** riggs. My GPS looks like a road map with all the drops, humps, and rock piles that I have grown very familiar with.

This is my favorite time of the year. Early rise to get to the ramp an hour before sunup. Geared with WAY too many rods in the boat rigged up and ready for a day on the lake. Dressed in Flipflops, shorts and a hot cup of coffee waiting for a buddy to show up. Watching all the boats going out after the walleye, I know it will be just another great day of smallmouth fishing...Gobies on a drop shot is the norm and the only way I roll!

The first stop to a hump that is a "hit or miss'' spot that I haven't caught a fish on in 3 years, but always stop to fish for a few minutes becuase it just looks to good on the electronics.(You know you have a spot like that,too) .

The next stop is on ol' faithfull. A hump in about 30 FOW that is sometimes LOADED with fish. FISH ON...will be yelled out a few times this year over this hump...Man, I can't wait...

Then comes Fall.....Man-o-man, what the heck to do????
The smallies are in full feed mode, the grass in the bay is dying so the BIG LM are chewing like nobodies business, the Steelhead start poking their horny noses to the creek mouths...WHAT THE HECK SHOULD WE FISH FOR??? There are just too many opportunies and not enough time.

Not to mention the perch fishing (I call it grocery shopping)....
You just got to love the summer months. Buy the time it's all over you are ready for the snow, hunting season, fly fishing steelhead, burbot in the channel, ice fishing, complaining about no ice fishing (lol), the list of possibilties is endless....

This post really has no meaning and is quit useless, but I just wanted share a little excitment for anther great year coming up.

Good luck to everyone, and tight lines....
Be nice to each other and remember that everyone is out there for the same reason, just not for the same purpose. Enjoy your time on the water, and spend some time this year teaching a youngster what you have become to love so much...

See ya,
Mike

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/

16 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 14:38:55 (permalink)
    Thats some good reading there Mike  I can't wait to get the boat in the water

Oh Yea  Some of those GPS numbers in my PM box would be nice 
    post edited by Skip16503 - 2008/03/04 14:43:21

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 14:44:35 (permalink)
    Funny, as I was dragging the ice shanty and 40 pounds too much of gear out of Chesnut Sunday, I was thinking how much easier it will be to get to the fish in a boat.  Good read Mike.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:03:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

Thats some good reading there Mike  I can't wait to get the boat in the water

Oh Yea  Some of those GPS numbers in my PM box would be nice 

The only box of yours that will get any of my GPS numbers is made out of pine and buried six feet under... lol

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:06:52 (permalink)
    Mike, as for the lures I've collected over the years and never used (and now comes the shameless plug) one has to just look on ebay and delve into my collection that my wifey has listed after I realized I had 4 or 5 of every stickbait/spoon etc. that Mr. Walleye might desire in a weak moment. I just figured enough is enough and decided to make my main tackle box liftable and get rid of some of them in lots of 3. Those are the clues now find the X.    HEY, ease up, I'm in sales for God's sake !     Dave
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:08:43 (permalink)
    That's basically the same rant that I give to friends who ask, "Why do you live in Erie?" and "What is there to do in that town?"

Nice post... opportunities are endless.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:16:50 (permalink)
    Hey Skip, PM me & we'll get a plan going to cold trail Mike this spring. I'm not willin to wait for the pine box derby!!!   LOL   Dave
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:18:25 (permalink)
    My Honda 50 is super charged and will push my boat at speeds over 140 MPH. You'll never hang!

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:24:57 (permalink)
    Anybody got a cheap satelite system for sale PM me. Dave
    pgh_flytier
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 249
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:33:53 (permalink)
    Enjoyed your post. I've been tying flies all winter and am now starting to clean things out and get organized. Nice to know I'm not the only one that goes through all these crazy things waiting for spring.
          I have a few go to lures that I have used for years and will use about 90 percent of the time. The new lures purchased over the winter will get pulled out fow a few casts, before putting the old dependables back on.  The one I use the most and have the most luck with is a power worm.
           Bring on the smallmouths.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:36:26 (permalink)
    "This post really has no meaning and is quit useless, but I just wanted share a little excitment for anther great year coming up. "

I have to disagree there Mike.  It had meaning and was quite useful if you ask me.  I sure enjoyed reading it.  It got me even more fired up for the upcoming year and made me realize how lucky we really are.  Thanks!

Oh, almost forgot, you hit the nail right on the head and how funny it truly is about all the lures that serious anglers tend to accumulate.  Some never to get a chance to hit the water!  It might be a good idea to take a collection of donated lures for the needy sometime. 

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:52:00 (permalink)
    Best idea I've heard all day
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

It might be a good idea to take a collection of donated lures for the needy sometime. 
    post edited by elephanthead - 2008/03/04 15:53:31
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 15:54:15 (permalink)
    I did that in 2005 Christmas. Turned out awesome with a lot of people from here donating stuff. Made a lot of kids happy anglers.

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 16:13:22 (permalink)
    I remember that - felt good to give
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 16:17:06 (permalink)
    Ooops...it was in 2006. Man, the years fly by, don't they?

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 17:18:44 (permalink)
    We should organize something.  I sponsor a high school Woods & Water Club, I'm sure the kids would love to get involved in something like that.  Tell me what you did Mike...

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: March Madness! 2008/03/04 17:51:37 (permalink)
    I'm on my way to a secret spot... to fish. I'll get back on thursday and I'll tell you what I did. I won't have the time to organize something this year, but I can help gather some gear.

Jump to: