Trolling Plates

Author
TTFO
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/04 08:49:04 (permalink)

Trolling Plates

Anyone have any experence with Cabela's "Hydro Troll".  It appears to be a combination Hydrofoil and Trolling Plate.  It is made of high density plastic but has sheer pins so when you forget to pull it up  it won't break the plate, just the pins.  Any comments are apprecitated. 

I was also looking at the Water Spike Anchoring system?  Any one useing them here?  I have a 19ft boat and will be using it primarily on Lake Erie (hopefully getting my perch jerk ON!!!).

Thanks in Advance,

Don

13 Replies Related Threads

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/04 12:29:42 (permalink)
    They are pretty much junk....Trolling plates in general are not the greatest additon to your trolling setup...I had the happy troller on my boat when i bought it....We pretty much destroyed it without much effort...You sometimes forget to pick them up and thats all for em.  Other people i know have them and they are a rough around the edges as well.

The cabelas ones ive are primarily plastic and have heard alot of problems with them.  The pins break alot from what ive heard...

Your best bet if you want to troll is get yourself a set of bags.  They will slow you down and make you alot more stable in the water when trolling...and should allow you to get the RPMs up on your main engine to avoid any fouling...

Another option is a kicker...you can find small outboards cheap if you look around...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    TTFO
    New Angler
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/04 14:23:06 (permalink)
    Thanks CB.  I've never thought of or heard of people putting a couple bags off the stern.  Do they ever get in the way landing fish?  That seems like it could be a problem. 
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/04 16:17:50 (permalink)
    TTFO,

You want to tie them forward to come so that the bags are about half way back. It is preferable to have two (one on each side ), as a single makes for tough handling.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/04 17:43:23 (permalink)
    Sometimes one bag used on the side of the boat taking the waves can actually help handling, but that is a tricky thing to learn and usually works on lighter boats where the wind really affects the front end.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/04 17:49:10 (permalink)
    I could see how that would work, though you would have to keep switching sides. I try ( if the fish let me ) to troll with or against the waves as much as possible. Makes for a much easier, comfortable day.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/04 18:09:53 (permalink)
    I got one of those Happy Trollers last year for the Trophy.  Right, it was a pain...kept forgetting to release the plate...bent it about 5 times.  Anyway one of the last times it bent, the locking mechanism broke on me therefore allowing the plate to freely open when I hit the throttle.  It gave me an Idea.....I had my dad reinforce the spring to make it stronger and we left it at that.  Now the thing actually works perfect and we don't ever have to pull that stupid rope to release the plate....While at slow trolling speed, the plate stays down and deflects the turbulance enough to slow the boat and enabling us to troll at a minimum 1.8/ 2 mph.  When you hit it, the plate goes up and works as a fin.  The big dificulty I found was trying to get that Mercruiser to idle just right at that low of speed...if you know what I mean...its sometimes tough finding that exact throttle position, especially on the rougher days! 

The only other alternative, however, will be a kicker motor...4 stroke....probably Honda.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/04 18:12:25

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/04 18:24:00 (permalink)
    When I was fishing my 16 out there a lot I did the 1 bag thing.  With the kicker on the 24 I haven't needed to use bags yet.  I also like to troll like you spoon but I think I didn't do that in the little one because of how it handled in rough water.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    heinzhouse01
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/04 19:01:21 (permalink)
    TTFO,

I bought the cabela's set up, and I am not happy. 
    1.  In the yard it snaps up and down with ease, but on the water had trouble with it engaging and disengaging properly.

2.  The pins break off with little reason to do so.

3.  It is plastic, and has subsequently developed a huge crack which now won't allow it to engage properly at all.

In my opinion, the best set up is a small kicker engine.  Multiple benefits with this set up.  You don't load up your big engine idling all day.  It is way more fuel effiecient, which pays for the set up itself.  And if the main engine leaves you stranded, you can use the kicker to get back, albeit slowly, which is better than not moving at all.

HH
    TTFO
    New Angler
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/05 08:47:29 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.  I think I'm going to try the double bags this year.... (until the funds come available for the kicker).  Sure am glad I checked here before dumping $100 on something!

Great Site
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/05 14:42:08 (permalink)
    Get bags...Go to www.AmishOutfitters.com buy 2 of their bags and your done.

Mount them up so they come about halfway down the side of the boat but so they remain submerged at all times.  this way they wont get in the way of landing a fish or your spread of rods while trolling

2 bags are better than 1...They stable both sides of the boat and slow you down significantly!
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/05 14:48:58 (permalink)
    CB  I looked at the bags they offer before but for some reason they state on the site that they are not intended for trolling Drifting only....   That sorta made me think twice...  Do you use them yourself and if you do have you had any problems with them??

Thanks
    Skip

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/05 16:34:15 (permalink)
    http://amishoutfitters.com/beefybags.htm

http://amishoutfitters.com/buggybag.htm

They specifically state they used them for trolling.....I know alot of people with them...they are a good product.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Trolling Plates 2008/03/05 16:42:21 (permalink)
    Cool  I was looking at these

http://amishoutfitters.com/driftbags.htm

Jump to: