Author
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1669
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/02 08:44:36 (permalink)

PFBC

I copied this from the pitt. tribune.
Anyone know or hear rumors on why they want to toss him out?
Mike

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commissioners had the authority to hire Doug Austen as their executive director in December of 2003.
They apparently do not have the authority to fire him now.
According to three sources within the agency speaking on condition of anonymity, commissioners asked Austen on Jan. 29 to resign or be fired. They were expecting a letter of resignation by Feb. 1.
The afternoon before, however, two members of Gov. Ed Rendell's staff stepped in. They allegedly told commissioners that if they fired Austen, the Governor would in turn fire all nine of them.
The result is that Austen remains in charge of the agency.
Chuck Ardo, a Rendell press secretary, admitted that staff within the Governor's office did have a conversation with commission president Bill Sabatose. Ardo would not reveal what message was conveyed, other than to say that "whatever was said was said in defense of the executive director on our part."
He added, though, that the Rendell administration is looking forward to seeing Austen continue to lead the commission.
"The Governor expects that he will be staying and that the Fish and Boat Commission will be better for it," Ardo said.
None of the four commissioners contacted would comment on the issue.
As for Austen, he anticipates being around for a while.
"The bottom line is that I'm here and I expect to continue here," Austen said.
Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commissioners had the authority to hire Doug Austen as their executive director in December of 2003.
They apparently do not have the authority to fire him now.
According to three sources within the agency speaking on condition of anonymity, commissioners asked Austen on Jan. 29 to resign or be fired. They were expecting a letter of resignation by Feb. 1.
The afternoon before, however, two members of Gov. Ed Rendell's staff stepped in. They allegedly told commissioners that if they fired Austen, the Governor would in turn fire all nine of them.
The result is that Austen remains in charge of the agency.
Chuck Ardo, a Rendell press secretary, admitted that staff within the Governor's office did have a conversation with commission president Bill Sabatose. Ardo would not reveal what message was conveyed, other than to say that "whatever was said was said in defense of the executive director on our part."
He added, though, that the Rendell administration is looking forward to seeing Austen continue to lead the commission.
"The Governor expects that he will be staying and that the Fish and Boat Commission will be better for it," Ardo said.
None of the four commissioners contacted would comment on the issue.
As for Austen, he anticipates being around for a while.
"The bottom line is that I'm here and I expect to continue here," Austen said.

6 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: PFBC 2008/03/02 10:39:55 (permalink)
    If the governor has a say in it, there obviously must be something in it for him and his organization.  Sounds pretty fishy to me.  When has government ever been involved in anything that actually turned out to be a whopping success?  I feel the government has NO business when it comes to fish and game...JMO

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: PFBC 2008/03/02 11:57:39 (permalink)
    The PF&BC is a SEMI automonous agency of the government. Commissioners are appointed, then confirmed by the legislature. All license fees, and stamp creation must require approval of the legislature, and the governor's signature.

Sounds to me like some of the new commissioners ( not the governor ) are trying to make a power play.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: PFBC 2008/03/02 12:08:26 (permalink)
    Either way, it sounds fishy.  Corruption is in the air.  And that all sounds great spoon if they all abide by the system as its meant to be abided by.  But we all know that the almighty dollar is God.  Who knows who and who can pull strings for who and how one can get ahead of another just to get votes and power.  I can't trust the lot of them for they have given me little reason to trust them. 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: PFBC 2008/03/02 12:50:34 (permalink)

Gone Fishing
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: PFBC 2008/03/02 14:30:46 (permalink)
    Follow along on this one---I have stated right along on the hunting threads that I thought Rendells  long term plan was to divide the hunters over the AR/HR with the goal of breaking the PGC so that it would be absorbed into the DCNR. Puting control of the PFBC there also would mean all the Pennsylvania sportsmens activities would be controlled by the DCNR. (Just who controls the DCNR)--- The State effectivly ceeded control of the states forests to the Forest Stewardship Council under the guise of having our timbering process approved by the Enviromentalists  through a inspection and permitting process once mandated goals were met. One goal was to reduce the deer herd, another puts half the forest off limits to logging with restrictions on much of the rest. There were many many more goals that had to be met. The inspection is done by a Calif based company that is part of the organization. ( Who is the FSC)-- The FSC was dreamed up at the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio by some activist enviromentalists including Greenpeace and includes many of the non/anti hunting groups as members. It is a global operation and it's 9 member board are from the following countries--Brazil, U.S., Ecuador, Netherlands, Sweden, U.K., Peru, Togo, Chile. The U.S. member, Eric Palola testified before Congress in 2003 promoting a Old Growth forest Initiative for the eastern forests including -his words (large predators such as Mountain lions and wolves). The goal is very limited logging and a stable predator prey relationship as it was before man. While there are some mainstrean enviromental and wildlife organizations involved at various stages the bulk appear to be ones we surely wouldn't want controlling our hunting and fishing activities. Their U.S. BOD includes a member from the Defenders Of Wildlife. That groups claim to fame is pushing for reintroducing wolves to all parts of the U.S. they can. Soooo--unless you want your hunting and fishing controlled by mainly non/anti hunting/fishing activists primarialy from foreign countries you may want to get involved in some actions or organizations to stop it.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: PFBC 2008/03/02 15:42:56 (permalink)
    If this is true than I feel as the commissioners feel and the head needs to be separated from the beast. If Mr. Rendell  does remove the commissioners than the political implications could be huge here in PA. It is a presidential election year remember. I sure would hate to be the one who causes the candidate he backs lose because of some flawed agenda he supports. Sportsmen are a huge factor in this state as to whom wins or loses.
    Letters in support of the commissioners position would strengthen the views sportsmen have toward separate commissions.
    post edited by chrisrowboat - 2008/03/02 15:48:03
    Jump to: