Smoke

Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2520
  • Reward points: 0
2023/06/08 13:29:46 (permalink)

Smoke

Southwest Pennsylvania has air quality advisory the last few days . Hazy out there again today Thursday 6-8-23. My daughter lives in southern Connecticut not far from New York City. She told me the other day the air quality there was extremely bad. Ol’timers like me advised to stay indoors . Can’t recall the last time a situation like this happened.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

5 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9681
    Re: Smoke 2023/06/08 14:06:24 (permalink)
    Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    DeadGator401
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 905
    Re: Smoke 2023/06/08 21:20:38 (permalink)
    Pretty awful situation. 

A bit north of PGH and it's been hazy, but can't say I smell smoke or anything. Kept the little one indoors for most of the day though. 

Boss works and lives in NYC. She said it's a nightmare. 

How's the rest of you people faring? I imagine some of you live near the big lake?
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Smoke 2023/06/08 22:04:44 (permalink)
    I thought the past week’s sunrise, sunset and moons have looked awesome. Thanks pollution!

Funny thing is, in the 40s and 50s, what NYC is “suffering” through, was every day Pittsburgh. Imagine Cleveland, Detroit and other. Back then, smoking cigarettes was like eating chips now. Likely knew it wasn’t good for health, but not what we know now. Which likely means in 20-30 years, chips will have surgeons general warnings? They said on the news that yesterday, NYC had the worst air quality in the world. So, some other cities in the world, that is every day life…. In those cities, kids breathe in that air without knowing, no shoes, never seen an iPad. We talk about NYC being apocalyptic and if kids don’t have an iPad, they are in poverty. What is really the difference in life expectancy?

Maybe the drill, baby drill crowd has it right? I’ve never been a tree hugger, but have thought environmentally responsibly. But does it really make a difference? Do we want to give up such nice red moons?
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re: Smoke 2023/06/09 14:28:58 (permalink)
    If I had my druthers, I’ll take fresh air over pretty moons.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Smoke 2023/06/09 16:05:16 (permalink)
    bigfoot
    If I had my druthers, I’ll take fresh air over pretty moons.

No doubt, not trying to say we should repeal the Clean Air Act.  But, I think the media is making a bigger deal out of this than it is.  For those most at risk, yes, stay inside and wear a mask.  For those that aren't, many of our 80 year old and up population, made it 80 year old and up, breathing in similar air for 20-30 years.  Many of us love burning campfires on the weekends or other.  I'd imagine the air quality sampled next to a campfire is probably similar to that of many of the high readings that the news is doing their best to scare the crap out of people with.  
    Jump to: