Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2515
  • Reward points: 0
2023/05/24 21:18:49 (permalink)

Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis

For the republicans voters. I may get some responses, maybe not, but curiosity killed the cat.
Who would you choose in the primary election? I realize there are others who have declared but I am interested in the results between these two.
post edited by bigfoot - 2023/05/24 21:20:04

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

40 Replies Related Threads

MyWar
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1907
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/25 00:00:01 (permalink)
    What? No love for Tim Scott? Asa Hutchinson? Vivek Ramaswamy? Nikki Haley?

I’m fine with throwing Mike Pence to the lions… but at this point, desantis has about as much of a chance as any of them (which is to say “zero”),
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/25 08:21:12 (permalink)
    MyWar

I’m fine with throwing Mike Pence to the lions… but at this point, desantis has about as much of a chance as any of them (which is to say “zero”),

I humbly disagree in your assessment of Mr. Desantis. I believe when all is said and done the race will ultimately come down between him and Mr. Trump . Time will tell. I think I’ll just sit back and watch how this unfolds.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."

EMitch
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1033
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/25 09:10:24 (permalink)
    Here in Pa., our primary isn't 'til May, so we have nearly a year to go before it kicks off. Since our primary is so late, usually the front runner has already been chosen and our votes simply become confirmation votes.
    Tim Scott and Larry Elders will be vilified by the 'Crats, the DNC, and the Democrat Press, (99%) without really saying their true feelings, which we have learned from those on The View, Politico, Newsweek, Business Week, the Huffington Post, Washington Post, N.Y.Times, etc, that they're not really Black. You can't be a successful business man or politician if you are Black and follow the conservative ideology. Even Biden has said publicly if you're Black and don't vote for Democrats, then you're not Black. Elders has a lot of money of his own, but I think both will bail quickly, after the first 3 or 4 state primaries.
    Asa Hutchinson has name recognition and was a two term successful Governor of Arkansas but we've heard nothing from him since he threw his hat in. Nicky Haley, the only woman to have declared so far, (maybe Christy Noem & Liz Chaney will jump in), but right now she has no traction. I'd say forget Pence, who may have his followers on the Christian Right, but that's about it. So for now, the two biggest with the most money support are DeSantis and Trump. The DNC seems to be scared of either of them 'cause they've been hammerin' both for the past 2 months, and DeSantis wasn't even in 'til yesterday. Oh yeah, Mister Ramaswamy. Self made billionaire with some really good ideas, all rooted in the US Constitution, which means he'll get no press and fold up early and throw his weight behind one of the others, most likely DeSantis. Trump needs an EGO transplant to appeal to me. Voted for him twice; he campaigned on what he'd do, and he got most of it done, and America was on the right track 'til the pandemic hit, but he's entirely too caustic! We've put up with Trump, Trump, Trump for 7 1/2 years now from the 'Crats and the MSM, why subject ourselves to a minimum of 5 1/2 more? I will not vote for Trump in a primary, but if he wins, I will vote for him for President. Right now, I think a rutabaga could beat Biden in the election.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/25 09:45:03 (permalink)
    EMitch
    Trump needs an EGO transplant to appeal to me. Voted for him twice; he campaigned on what he'd do, and he got most of it done, and America was on the right track 'til the pandemic hit, but he's entirely too caustic! We've put up with Trump, Trump, Trump for 7 1/2 years now from the 'Crats and the MSM, why subject ourselves to a minimum of 5 1/2 more? I will not vote for Trump in a primary, but if he wins, I will vote for him for President. Right now, I think a rutabaga could beat Biden in the election.

Well said Mitch.  Although, Desantis has the same ego issues, just not as far.  I'd prefer someone, anyone from either party that just has some class.  The political environment seems to reward those without class.  Yes, the loudmouth side of the Dems is the same way.  Albeit, there are far less of them than the GOP side, which somehow has normalized it.  Any of these clowns running in the years of Regan, Bush, Clinton or W would be chastised and removed.  Unfortunately, I think this is a continued reaction to Obama.

I was not for half or so of Trump policies, but was fine with many of them at the end of the day, as most that I didn't like really didn't effect me all that much.  The other half, I was just fine with and completely agreed with maybe 1/4.  Not that much different than Dotard #2 Biden.  Half of his policies are complete garbage, the other half I am good with and 1/4 overall I completely agree with.  I'm estimating my fractions of course.

I know we will never have someone that I will support all policies with.  So at this point, I am just looking to at least return classiness back to our leadership.  Someone like Scott or Hutchinson has similar policies as 90% of the GOP, but are classy people.  If one of them were to face Biden, I would vote for them.  I will never vote for Trump.  It is just proven lie after lie with that POS.  Desantis has the bombastic, low class thing, but doesn't appear to be the habitual liar.  He may get caught up in them at some point.  I'd be a coin flip at this point of Desantis and Dotard #2.  I would vote for a rock over Dotard #2, so not saying much for Desantis. 

I do like his youth and that a historically "purple" state of FL has voted for him as if they are ruby red.  FL is basically a large subburb.  Obviously some inner cities and some rural, but it is mostly developed.  He is largely speaking to that demographic that Trump pretty much ignored and why he lost.  I think Desantis has a much better chance than 5 1/2 years of more, all about Trump.  Sorry, it isn't just the MSM and crats, it is Trump that makes it about him.
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/25 11:22:26 (permalink)
    bigfoot
    MyWar

I humbly disagree in your assessment of Mr. Desantis. I believe when all is said and done the race will ultimately come down between him and Mr. Trump . Time will tell. I think I’ll just sit back and watch how this unfolds.

Yes, time will tell.

Although what appears to be happening now is more or less the same thing that happened in 2016, which is that a whole bunch of candidates are jumping in which is going to dilute the “candidate who isn’t Trump” pool. If the “not Trump” crowd can’t coalesce behind a single candidate, then Trump will get the nomination with a plurality, but not a majority, just like he did in 2016. Although at this point I think he might even be polling over 50%.

This could all change once the campaigns really get going, but tbh I don’t expect it to. I really thought trump was done after his candidates under performed in 2022, but it looks like he’s still on top as far as republican voters are concerned.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/25 12:30:42 (permalink)
    A lot will happen between now and primary. Trump has a good bit of legal stuff. Hunter will likely kill a prostitute while high on something and caught burying her at a Chinese government owned property. Other candidates dirt will be exposed. How the debt ceiling fiasco is ultimately handled (surprised there isn’t a thread debating that on here). Inflation and economy at the time. Social issues that will be hot at the time. That all said, it already looks like we will be forced to choose from two horrible candidates. Doesn’t look like Dotard 1 or 2 are going anywhere. Just about anyone else on either side would appear to be a landslide favorite at this point. Of course, until the mud slinging on those candidates. But I couldn’t see Biden beating anyone besides Trump right now, if the economy/inflation/stock market are all in a similar shape as they are now. I don’t see the wall of voters that made sure Trump wouldn’t be re-elected softening after he forcefully tried to stay in power. What a cluster F our national politics are.
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/25 13:25:55 (permalink)
    Porktown
    A lot will happen between now and primary. Trump has a good bit of legal stuff. Hunter will likely kill a prostitute while high on something and caught burying her at a Chinese government owned property. Other candidates dirt will be exposed. How the debt ceiling fiasco is ultimately handled (surprised there isn’t a thread debating that on here). Inflation and economy at the time. Social issues that will be hot at the time. That all said, it already looks like we will be forced to choose from two horrible candidates. Doesn’t look like Dotard 1 or 2 are going anywhere. Just about anyone else on either side would appear to be a landslide favorite at this point. Of course, until the mud slinging on those candidates. But I couldn’t see Biden beating anyone besides Trump right now, if the economy/inflation/stock market are all in a similar shape as they are now. I don’t see the wall of voters that made sure Trump wouldn’t be re-elected softening after he forcefully tried to stay in power. What a cluster F our national politics are.

The dynamics in the general election will be totally different than the Republican primary. Trumps legal trouble, the economy, etc… none of that matters in the primary (also, nobody cares about Hunter Biden except republicans).

I think it’s true that Biden is somewhat vulnerable due to his age, but he does still have incumbency advantage, and the headwinds from the Dobbs decision are still blowing in democrats’ favor. Plus, the stain of trump is still there and if guys like Mastriano end up running for statewide offices in swing states like PA, WI and MI, it’s gonna drive blue turnout.

Biden’s conservative opponents will probably hammer him on economic issues, but I honestly don’t know how effective that attack will be with the swing voters. The country is unarguably in far better shape today than it was when Biden took office. We were still in the throes of the pandemic when Biden was inaugurated and life has very much returned to normal since then. I think that will carry some weight but I imagine it will largely depend on where the economy is when campaign season really kicks in.

A strong R candidate who leans moderate could probably win handily against Biden. But the chances that anybody even remotely resembling a moderate will emerge from the R primary is essentially zero.

I’m not sure desantis is a strong candidate against Biden. Maybe? So far most of his rhetoric is all culture war anti woke nonsense, and while right wing media addicts will eat that shiit up, I don’t know if it plays with independents and swing voters. It’s like he will have to talk like a normal person if he wants to connect with voters that aren’t living in a Fox News bubble.

Debt ceiling fights are usually quickly forgotten, although if it goes totally sideways this time, it could hurt one or both parties but it’s kind of difficult to predict who will get blamed.
    post edited by MyWar - 2023/05/25 13:27:54
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/25 14:26:54 (permalink)
    I am pretty sure on a state level, prior to basically running for President without his official launch yesterday, Desantis did talk normal. FL isn’t your typical GOP state. From my understanding, he went left on many policies like climate change in South Florida and other things that directly effected his state. His talk is bombastic like Trump, but he even went left on some items like Social Security and Medicare. I’m sure he will make sure anyone that he knocks up will be eligible for an abortion as well.
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/26 11:19:25 (permalink)
    Porktown
    I am pretty sure on a state level, prior to basically running for President without his official launch yesterday, Desantis did talk normal. FL isn’t your typical GOP state. From my understanding, he went left on many policies like climate change in South Florida and other things that directly effected his state.

I dunno, this doesn’t like a left wing viewpoint on climate change:

https://www.independent.c...fox-news-b2346211.html

Did you listen to any audio of his campaign announcement? It’s pretty, uh,”low energy”. Compare it to Tim Scott’s announcement rally, where Scott genuinely sounds excited to run for office. Desantis OTOH just sounds annoyed. He really isn’t a very compelling pubic speaker.

To me it seems like he sticks to a pretty standard modern right wing governing style in FL. There’s the Disney culture war BS, he pretended COVID wasn’t real, he went all in on the anti CRT crap in FL schools, there’s the don’t say g@y thing… I could go on, but I don’t really see a lot moderate or left leaning policies during his tenure as governor.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3096
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/26 15:28:08 (permalink)
    Voting RDS in primary. Will only vote Trump in General, cause Biden is the worst president of my lifetime. Fully expect Trump if nominated, he will get slaughtered in AZ-PA-GA-WI-MI-NV.

DNC will never let Biden debate a 44 year old man in RDS on a stage without massive aides   

DNC will also try their ****edest to get Trump the nomination, much like Shapiro was funding pro Mastriano adds. 
    post edited by psu_fish - 2023/05/26 15:33:40
    snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/27 13:29:15 (permalink)
    MyWar
    There’s the Disney culture war BS, he pretended COVID wasn’t real, he went all in on the anti CRT crap in FL schools, there’s the don’t say g@y thing… I could go on, 

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/27 13:57:28 (permalink)
    snagr
    MyWar
    There’s the Disney culture war BS, he pretended COVID wasn’t real, he went all in on the anti CRT crap in FL schools, there’s the don’t say g@y thing… I could go on, 

Right, that was posted in response to porktown saying he governed FL “left” or whatever. My point is that I don’t really see it. He’s pretty much all in a fairly far right agenda.
    Irisheyeball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/27 19:16:11 (permalink)
    Trump is headed for the same plurality that he achieved in 2016.  Obviously, the more GOP candidates that enter, the more likely it is that Trump prevails.  In a straight up match Trump v DeSantis....Trump destroys him.  Ron's got not much going for him in terms of political acumen.  His act will not hold up in a national arena.

And now for something completely different....the Democratic nominee.  It is plainly obvious that most Americans, across party lines, don't want Joe Biden to run in 2024.  In a recent CNN poll 66% of us felt this way about Biden.  Interestingly, 55% of us think that Trump running again is a bad idea.  I don't think that those numbers relate at all to who would prevail in a Biden/Trump rematch...Biden would beat him again...and worse than before.  But who wants to see that?  What I'm leading up to is that I believe we are at a potential deflection point where a (relatively) younger candidate could step up and snatch the nomination from Biden, if someone would have the guts to do so.  This, of course, goes against all conventional thinking and will almost certainly not happen.  But consider the times we're in, and the recent success of some "unconventional" candidates.  Trump himself is probably the best example.  

I think somebody may be missing out on an opportunity to tell Biden that he's done a good job but it's time to sit down.  Some names I can think of would include Gina Raimondo, Buttegieg, J.B. Pritzker, Amy Klobuchar, Cory Booker or Sherrod Brown.  Other "unknowns" may have just as good a chance as these.  Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I would certainly like to see it as I'm part of that 66%.
    JerryS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 275
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/27 22:58:45 (permalink)
    MyWar
    A strong R candidate who leans moderate could probably win handily against Biden. But the chances that anybody even remotely resembling a moderate will emerge from the R primary is essentially zero.

I think a far-right fiscal conservative, who is pro-choice, could win both.  Does such a thing exist?  Roe v Wade killed them in the midterms.
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/27 23:48:14 (permalink)
    Irisheyeball
    I think somebody may be missing out on an opportunity to tell Biden that he's done a good job but it's time to sit down.  Some names I can think of would include Gina Raimondo, Buttegieg, J.B. Pritzker, Amy Klobuchar, Cory Booker or Sherrod Brown.  Other "unknowns" may have just as good a chance as these.  Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I would certainly like to see it as I'm part of that 66%.

I like sherrod brown a lot, but he’s 70. He’s 10 or 15 yrs past his prime for a presidential run. And it’s really too bad because that type of candidate could really thrive in todays political environment.

Buttigieg is an odd one. He has a lot of potential, and on paper he seems like he would be an obvious choice, but anecdotally speaking, a lot of the more progressive type friends of mine REALLY dislike him, and I’m not totally sure why. He’s well spoken, but there something insincere about him.

I’d throw Gretchen Whitmer out there too. She’s a popular governor in a swing state. Maybe not for 2024, but maybe 2028.

Even Josh Shapiro could be a contender in 2028. Or for a really dark horse candidate, how about Katie Porter?

None of these folks are gonna challenge Biden in 2024 tho. And I get it, incumbent advantage is a real thing, and party politics will clearly stipulate “stand down”. In the meantime there’s always Marianne Williamsom and RFK jr.

Personally, I worry more about the perception of Biden as being too old, more than the reality of Biden being too old or senile or whatever. I think he’s sharp enough, for a guy his age anyway, and he’s been a more effective president than I expected. Hes probably more up for the job than most people believe him to be, but if the perception is that he’s too old, then that’s his biggest liability.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/28 09:31:28 (permalink)
    This is what I was referring to with Desantis. Before he tried jumping on the national stage with his bombastic behavior, he spearheaded some pretty moderate, even left leaning policies, that just happened to be good for his state. This is how he turned a rather moderate state into a landslide victory.

https://www.csmonitor.com...harts-a-pragmatic-path

Florida isn’t some backwoods state that eats up the anti woke culture war stuff like Alabama or Arkansas. Sure there are some, but he wouldn’t landslide win on that platform alone.

The anti woke cultural war thing has so many different issues. I think much of it is ridiculous, but 100% behind the anti wokers on some of it. Like politics itself, why do some feel they have to fall in line of all issues of one side or the other?
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/28 14:34:17 (permalink)
    Porktown
    This is what I was referring to with Desantis. Before he tried jumping on the national stage with his bombastic behavior, he spearheaded some pretty moderate, even left leaning policies, that just happened to be good for his state. This is how he turned a rather moderate state into a landslide victory.

https://www.csmonitor.com...harts-a-pragmatic-path

Florida isn’t some backwoods state that eats up the anti woke culture war stuff like Alabama or Arkansas. Sure there are some, but he wouldn’t landslide win on that platform alone.

The anti woke cultural war thing has so many different issues. I think much of it is ridiculous, but 100% behind the anti wokers on some of it. Like politics itself, why do some feel they have to fall in line of all issues of one side or the other?

Hmm yea I dunno. As noted in the article, it doesn’t sound like he’s interested in doing anything to actually address the causes of climate change.

I’m not going to go out of the way to give him credit for building infrastructure that blunts the impact of rising sea levels because it’s pretty clear he’s only doing it because it’s affecting cash flows. That’s not “left” that’s classic republican.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3335
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/28 14:57:38 (permalink)
     Think Susan Rice will enter?
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/28 19:20:04 (permalink)
    crappiefisher

She may as well. Me thinks that her and former president Mr. Obama have their hands on the tiller now.

MyWar
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/29 11:57:48 (permalink)
    crappiefisher

No way. No big name democrat will try to primary Biden. The only primary challengers you will see are loons like Williamson and RFK jr.

Susan Rice might be a contender in 2028 tho.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/29 18:46:29 (permalink)
    Anyone claiming that Biden is the worst president in their lifetime or even last 4 years is beyond lunacy. That said, he is beyond too old and not getting any younger. For the sake of this country, he needs to step down after his rather successful transitionary term. Nothing could be any worse than a Trump second term, but a Biden second term could be close to a Trump first term. Which is BY FAR, the worst term of possibly any North American presidency in the last 150 years, and I don’t know much of Mexico. But guessing he is giving them good competition.
    DeadGator401
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/05/29 20:45:45 (permalink)
    I'm seeing a lot of TFS. (Trump Fatigue Syndrome). I know TDS was a fun one for people, so I'll bring in a new one. Overall, previous supporters or not - people are just tired of the dude it seems. Like Mitch said earlier, 7.5 years, do we seriously want 5.5 more? 

Surprising to see Desantis throw his hat in the ring imo. Dudes is only 44 years old. I'm not sure what the thought process is, making an enemy of Trump by challenging him at this point. Just wait 4 more years and you would have the entire force of the GOP behind ya. Unless of course, he knows something about Trump we don't, which is certainly possible. 

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/06/01 18:40:04 (permalink)
    This President, must be trippin’…
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/06/01 22:33:32 (permalink)
    Yeah, and one of these times he's gonna crack his head, and we're gonna be stuck with the cackler until the election.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    MyWar
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/06/01 23:34:22 (permalink)
    It was just an unscheduled, gravity assisted descent. No big deal.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/06/02 08:58:19 (permalink)
    I hear the woke mafia is going after Chic Fil A now. Weren’t the left side nuts boycotting them a few years ago? Just like then, please do. I am not a fan of the long drive thru lines. Feel free to boycott Dunkin too. Pretty much the only two fast food places that I will go to at this point.
    EMitch
    Pro Angler
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/06/02 09:24:25 (permalink)
    MyWar
    It was just an unscheduled, gravity assisted descent. No big deal.

Now there's the perfect spin on the President not knowing where his feet are or where they're going!
    You'd make a better WH spokesperson than KJP.

BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2124
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/06/03 18:56:12 (permalink)
    Porktown
    I hear the woke mafia is going after Chic Fil A now. Weren’t the left side nuts boycotting them a few years ago? Just like then, please do. I am not a fan of the long drive thru lines. Feel free to boycott Dunkin too. Pretty much the only two fast food places that I will go to at this point.

It's clear that Christians are under attack in this country. This is a spiritual war, not a political 1.......

BH
    DeadGator401
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re: Unofficial poll: Trump vs Desantis 2023/06/03 20:37:15 (permalink)
    BloodyHand
    Porktown

It's clear that Christians are under attack in this country. This is a spiritual war, not a political 1.......

BH

There's more than one type of religion in the US. Religion should be kept completely out of politics. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: