Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 53 of 56
Author
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2022/11/05 20:51:55 (permalink)
   While leaf blowin at camp today kept smelling wild onions in different places in the yard from the forced air stirring up the grass. My son picked his carrots about a week ago, they turned out very nice and made some chicken noodle soup with 'em the same day.

Was going to try this grader on the number 12 head today but ground 40 lbs. of chuck roast instead. Found it amongst all the Hobart supplies that came with the barrister cabinets I got from a auction. They were over loaded and even stacked high on the top with new grinder parts. Can't believe the prices marked on the packages. Just that little #12 auger and grater sitting on the table is over $200   The Buffalo Chopper bowl will take Garlic down to dust in no time. Have 3 of these with the grinder attachment and a veggie hopper that connects where the grinder is. Going to give the cheese shredder a try soon.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/11/06 10:19:24 (permalink)
 Picked the last cabbage this morning and cut into 8 chunks and added 6 carrots. Dropped them into the chopper then added the vinegar/sugar/mayo and spices. Takes less than a minute to fine chop. Have to keep a eye on it or can turn to liquid. Don't eat with my teeth in so I need it very fine. Now it's going to take me 15 minutes to clean the machine.

Hope to make chicken hot dogs in the next week or so. Have to go get some casings first.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CmV3SB2i7U

post edited by crappiefisher - 2022/11/06 10:42:15
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2022/11/09 17:01:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fisherlady2 2022/11/09 21:05:51
Fisherlady, I did not forget.
The grinder I have was on aZon for $22.00. Mine I can't find the name on any of the packaging but see another on their site that looks the same. It's obviously cheap disposable product unlike a quality commercial grade.
It's size isn't all that big which takes me about 4 runs to empty the dehydrator trays of 5.
It does grind dehydrated slices of garlic nicely into powder quickly.
If there are slices of not dry enough, it won't grind them. I get very few and their easy to pick out from the powder. Maybe 1 per run.
The longest and time consuming part is the dehydrator. It takes me 3-4 days to dehydrate about 20-30 cloves ( not bulbs).
Things seem to work ok on this small budget system.
The larger bulbs I still have hanging are beginning to show need of attention so my dehydrator runs daily.
post edited by hot tuna - 2022/11/09 18:16:10

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/11/09 20:51:22 (permalink)
Farmer harvesting under the moon outback of camp tonight... 

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/04 11:03:02 (permalink)
What brand, size of indoor grow lights do you use to start your plants?

My wife bought started plants last year for her raised bed garden, but wants to start from seeds this year.

She will be mostly growing herbs and lettuce.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/04 14:30:48 (permalink)
 My son uses a good sized grow tent and stands like this for a number of vegetables. https://thehouseandhomest...-indoor-growing-stand/

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/04 14:55:16 (permalink)
Thank you.

We have the tables and such to do this in our basement. Too many types of lights to choose from.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/04 15:19:22 (permalink)
 Yeah after reading that article  I'll be up past his place in Connie Lake and I'll check what he uses. Was going through some seeds emailer today.  
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/04 19:13:06 (permalink)
Did pick up a 36" wide x 1,000' roll of stainless heavy foil at a online auction 1/2 mile from home last month. That would make ideal walls and ceiling for starting and growing plants. Knew I could find some kind of purpose for it other than cooking on. Have a 4' wide large roll of stainless coil stock that would work but would be over kill. Can't believe how heavy both rolls are. The prices were right so couldn't pass up. Just a good size roll of aluminum foil like used in a commercial kitchen is very costly.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/02/04 19:33:55
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/04 20:39:23 (permalink)
I don't recall the brand lights I bought last year. I got 2 sets of 4 lights that were about 2in wide by 3ft long. They were able to interconnect and could be used independently.
They worked well but I'm going a better upgrade this year. I'm looking towards a single 2ft wide by 3ft long sets so I only need 1 light per shelf.

I did the job lot tent thing years ago and abandoned that.
The plastic is junk and the racks aren't adjustable.
I bought 2 stainless shelving racks. 2ft wide x 4ft long x 5ft high. They worked great in a limited space I have now.

Last year and previous I always started seed early, mid February. WAY to early as I couldn't put anything outside until 3rd week in may last year and it didn't seem to make sense keeping my plants inside for almost 3 months. This season I'll start seeds late February or early March.

Our cow will be processed on March 24th. My first batch of meat birds will arrive on April 10th and the piglets shortly after. We did very well on our meat products and timing last year. No wasting.
Fresh fish are always a bonus but given the tough ice season, nothing to stockpile.
Turn off the news and build a garden.
Happy gardening

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/05 08:10:48 (permalink)

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/05 10:01:24 (permalink)
Thanks to all y’all.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/24 17:19:51 (permalink)
Makin bacon.
Only 5 lbs left after this run.
This weekends goal is processing more smoked venison summer sausage and starting the indoor tomato seeds.
Haven't quite figured out the garden plan yet but it will come together quickly.
Our cow is hanging and our freezers are prepared.
Once again we will not be buying meat products throughout 2023 into 24.
I just might get an itch to walk on hardwater next weekend for panfish.

Time to turn off the news and build a garden

Attachment(s)

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/24 18:40:34 (permalink)
We’ve got a tub of lettuce growing in the living room under the lights already and started some heirloom tomatoes and peppers in my son’s grow tent (he has more room at his house) last week. Was out in the garden yesterday and see the garlic is pushing up through the mulch, horseradish and rhubarb are also starting to come out of dormancy. It won’t be long and snow peas will be planted.

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/24 20:29:05 (permalink)
I've been getting itchy myself. Maybe next week.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/24 23:43:03 (permalink)
 Son has some stuff growing. Guy (neighbor) stopped yesterday and offered me a Black Agnus ready for slaughter on top of what I payed for a 10 ton dump truck. Sometimes life is just to simple. Daffodils have been popping up for awhile now. Had a Amish crew working on the 2nd floor and attic all week. They did more work than I would have done in 2 years busting my butt. Hope son don't fill all of it with fishin' tackle. Guy that wants the dump is bringing a dump load ov poop for the garden for free and he gave us 3 dozen eggs and 6 lbs. of ground Angus. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/25 10:48:22 (permalink)
It's great to hear everyone is gearing up for some farm and garden plans. While the snow is falling here today, I'm going to get started on my plan for the garden.

First project of today is completed by grinding and stuffing. Now they rest until smoker tomorrow.

I do have a question :
Can anyone reccomend a good stuffing press. I'm currently using a cheap horizontal- cylindrical crank one.
It works but I'm not happy with the operation and waste of meat that stays behind.
I've looked at some vertical presses ( lem model) but would like to know if it's worth the money.
My grinder has all the attachments but wasn't happy with results for that either.
Thanks.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/25 19:29:35 (permalink)
It's a start of good things to come.

Attachment(s)

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/25 19:55:57 (permalink)
  The Amish were eying up a few of my antique cast iron stuffers. Told them I keep 'em for decoration's. They worked okay. I use the #22 and #32 head Hobart grinders for the larger casings and like the smaller #12 head Hobart grinder for doing links, sticks and jerky. Lem seems to be pretty decent for the money on the video's I've watched in the past. A foot control switch helps with the grinders.

post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/02/25 19:59:48
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/25 23:39:29 (permalink)
 Keep a lookout on Market place. I'm too cheap to buy stuff new but will buy commercial high end brands used for the price of what the cheaper crap like Bass Pro, Cabela's and so forth cost new. Plus use for as long as I want and is worth many more times what I payed if want to put up for sale. Bought 3 more Hobarts in the past two months. Two were only $100 and could sale fairly quick for $700 ++. Bad thing is I collect them  While the Amish were working on the place I had them move a Hobart mixer/grinder, Two Buffalo chopper/grinders, 3 Hobart grinders, Globe slicer, 2 Brazilla (sp?) made in Germany automatic slicers, Brizilla manual slicer and Hobart slicer down to the basement. Least that put a dent in the stuff on 1st floor. They got a workout just doing that. Bad thing, home is just as bad.    
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/02/26 12:22:03 (permalink)
Thanks. I looked on market place and got sticker shock at used Hobart prices.
For the amount of use I do, the stuffer I have will do

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/04 14:55:04 (permalink)
Since it's a mud pit season with more wetness, this is what we did today.
Venison on right, pork on the left.
All ingredients from my 2 hands.
They hit the smoker tomorrow

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/06 17:07:44 (permalink)
So the venison bologna came out awesome.
I used a different pre made seasoning and larger casings.
Afterward I started getting a garden plan together and another round of seeds.
4 different pepper varieties and some cabbage.
I noticed that seed supplies were kinda thin picking in places I shopped. Didn't see many of the greens I was looking for.
Happy gardening
post edited by hot tuna - 2023/03/06 17:11:03

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/06 20:51:05 (permalink)
I got a couple flats of sauce tomatoes started and 36 red peppers. I have another flat to do for Big Boys and Heirlooms. Still alittle too wet to get the raised bed tilled and planted. All of my garlic came up in the big garden , so that's a good start. Won't be long. 🤞
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/06 22:29:30 (permalink)
Son has a 16' x 80' greenhouse coming 
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/08 15:35:16 (permalink)
Here's the grow light I set up this past weekend on my 6x4x2' 4 shelf rack.  I seeded 48 tomato plants Saturday and by yesterday afternoon more than 50% sprouted.  
I also seeded 48 peppers plants but they take a little longer to germinate. 
I picked up the grow light on Amazon.    

2023 Upgraded VIPARSPECTRA P2500 Led Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Full Spectrum, Dimming Daisy Chain Grow Lamp for Veg Bloom in 4x2/3x3 Grow Tents Greenhouses
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/08 17:36:29 (permalink)
I just did a walk around outdoor garden assessment .I believe I planted only 200 garlic last fall. All the cloves have been sprouted throughout the winter and still look great. I'm not ready yet to pull the straw off yet. My raised beds need turning as well as more soil. Gosh only knows where it disappears.
The tomato seed I did indoors a week ago Sunday, sprouted in 5 days and are now thinned to I seedling per. Their about 8 inches with 4 leaves. Under lights for 14 hrs during day. And moved to a different location.
Basil, spinach and leaf lettuce planted same is doing the same.
Last sunday was some greens and peppers seeds so I'd expect a 7 day sprout.
I tend to run out of indoor space in my current situation so planning is key.
My vision has always been a working outdoor greenhouse.
I'm envious of you folks that do.
1.5 more years to retirement, like a Lucky-13 then time and space will hold no boundaries.

Spring is in the air for farm and garden but I'm going to try to sneak 1 more day to harvest panfish on ice.

Btw:
I'm fishing the lake Ontario tributaries again, including the salmon river for traditional opening trout season in new York
post edited by hot tuna - 2023/03/08 17:41:11

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/09 00:01:35 (permalink)
 Caught around two dozen Chubs 5"--6" today in 20 minutes at the creek in my son's yard.  Did get into some decent Crappie at Pymy in Pa on the first of March. Son's greenhouse is 94' not 80' like I thought. I think he should of bought one around 16' x 24' and see if he can even handle that.

He bought a larger one before Covid and didn't put it up. He ended up selling it to a Amish guy a year later for a nice profit. Couldn't buy any with companies out of stock during the pandemic.
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/03/09 00:09:13
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/09 11:03:47 (permalink)
Most of the tomatoes have popped. I have em on the lights, but can't find my timer. Guess I'll havta go pick up another one. I might get that other flat together this weekend. I'm not going to start any vine plants yet though, it's too early. My neighbor gave me a great tip last year on starting things like beans, beets and others you normally plant as seeds. She starts them in 2 inch peat pots then just sticks the whole thing in the ground after they sprout and get going. That way they beat the weeds up and don't get choked out. Worked really well last year.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: The garden thread 2023/03/12 15:59:31 (permalink)
Got some compost in my raised bed yesterday and picked up a bail of pro mix to make my seedling soil. This week I'll be busting****cleaning up the fly shop and get the lights re hung and get to starting seeds. I'm fairly on course. Ahead of last year ordered heating mats so that should really help that room is pretty drafty being half windows. Even with a space heater running. By next week I should be full tilt running. I'm gonna try getting 10 flats started of peppers and tomatoes. I told all my buddies I'll start a **** ton. Noone deserves to pay homedepot or greenhouse prices. A few small donations should cover the money I put into it. And it will give me a reason to stay in there tying Flys because I procrastinat till the last second. Lol

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 53 of 56
Jump to: