Fishing Guides

Author
psbfisher11
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/27 00:26:32 (permalink)

Fishing Guides

I was wondering what are the requirements to become an erie steelhead guide. I am considering trying to become one next fall. I was just wondering what you needed to be official.

Thanks.

23 Replies Related Threads

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 02:24:25 (permalink)
    To be a true blue legal fishing guide.First you will need to have a certifcation in cpr and first aide and keep them updated.next you will need insurance liabilty 250k /500k then after all that you will need to show proof of all that to the fish commision and send then 100 for the guide licence and thats on top of the normal licnce.Oh and a boating certificate if guiding from a boat as well.
    post edited by egg sac - 2008/02/27 02:25:14

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    Buckets Charter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 08:50:10 (permalink)
    Plus a Coast Guard License If operating a boat on navigable or federaly funded water ways
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 09:09:43 (permalink)
    IF YOU REALLY WANT TO FISH A LOT:
                      DON'T BE A GUIDE
                       DON'T OWN A TACKLE SHOP
    lfosburg
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 09:29:18 (permalink)
    thats some sweet advice 
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 09:55:12 (permalink)
    psbfisher11

Are you interested in becoming a fishing guide because you believe it will be a good career for you or because you really like fishing and want to share that interest with others and make some cash on the side?

I am not expert on guiding by anyone's imagination, but I have met a few and from what I have experienced from them, it is not an easy job. 

First, you need a client base.  Being new to the guiding business, my guess is that will take some time to build.  Reputation is a big thing as well as repeat customers.

Second, you are dealing with people.  Some will be wonderful, others will be demanding and a royal pain in the neck.  You will definitely need some good people skills to be successful.  It also helps if you have the ability to communicate effectively and be able to teach your clients the right way to fish.

Third, it is a physical job.  You will be out and about on the streams not only with your clients, but also scouting water, checking on the flows, seeing where the fish are, etc...  I enjoying being out fishing as much as the next guy and look at it as a time to get away from work, but as a guide being out on the stream is work. 

Fourth, do you have equipment?  Many guides provide their clients with rods, reels, flies, bait, etc...  Do you have a sponsor that could help with supplying these needs?  One guide I met provides a very nice lunch for his clients. While that is not necessary, it definitely is a nice touch. 

Fifth, how well do you deal with last minute changes in your plans?  As you are well aware, the weather in NWPA in particular is predictably unpredictable.  You may have to think quickly to find fishable water if we get an overnight rainstorm, or be able to adapt to a long dry spell and low and clear water.

Sixth, do you have good logistical skills?  How are you at planning a trip not only for yourself, but for others?  How organized are you?  Do you tend to get things done well in advance, or are you a person who waits until the last minute?  These may not seem important, but there are a lot of details that will need to be considered before you take a client out.

Seven, do you want to help the client off the stream with finding accomodations, food, buying tackle, etc...  This would require a good knowledge of the area and the motels, restaurants, tackle shops, etc...  Technicially it is not your job to do all of that, but I would bet a good guide would be able to help the client with some of these needs should they arise.

Bottom line, as a guide you are to be of service to your client.  It is your job to help them have a good experience fishing and a good overall experience while they are in the area.  Being knowledgeable about fishing and enjoying the sport yourself is a good place to start, but to be successful, there is a whole lot other skills you will need.  It may be a good idea to talk with some guides to get their take on the field.  Egg is a good place to start, but check the list of guides in the area and get in touch with them.

BTW - I am not a professional guide.  I do not want to be one. The comments I have made above are my opinions, not fact, and are based on my limited experience with guides as a client and from conversations with a guide I know.  Also, the comments are based on how I would like to be treated as a client should I hire a guide.  Remember as Joe Dirt says, "It ain't what you like.  It is what the consumer likes..." 

Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    saxon1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 12:43:02 (permalink)
    Bug:
         I couldn't have stated it any better, maybe you have a future :)  PSB: I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have, good luck,

Mike  saxon1@zoominternet.net
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 13:36:13 (permalink)
    Mike,

By the time I retire from this job, I will be way too old to start a career as a guide. 

pax vobiscum +
    psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 16:19:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the responses....guys...i really appreciate it...

I do want to become a guide...not to make a career out of it...im majoring in enviromental science at penn state behrend... but i want to be able to make some money on the side...but to be honest with everyone...the money matters to a certain extent... i love teaching people how to fish...particulary steelhead fishing...i have great people skills...and i love being on the water...but helping people fish and teaching them is just awesome...I do realize that some of the people will be a pain in the butt and others will be alot of fun to fish with..thats just how it is i guess...

If i do become a guide i do realize that building up clients will be difficult...plus i have to make sure that they will be able to have a good time and catch some fish...I will be a stream guide for the PA Erie tribs. I really havent fished much of NY besides Salmon river and none of OH tribs. I know the area of erie pretty good so i think that i will be able to turn them in the right directions for hotels food and other accomadations.

How many stream fishing guides are there in erie...does anyone know an official number...i know there is around a dozen mentioned on the website..?

I probably wont be able to guide until fall 08..

thanks again for the responces
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 17:13:35 (permalink)
    psbfisher11,

I really don't know how you would find out the exact number of guides operating in the area.  My guess beyond the ones listed, there are more that are not.  Also, it would not surprise me if you found guides coming into the area that are not local.

One thing to consider in order to get your feet wet, yes the pun was intended, is to see if any of the local guides need some help.  I was approached several years ago by a local guide who had more clients than he could handle.  I was not able to help him out at that point, but the experience lead me to believe that some of the guides may need help from time to time.  Working part time with an established professional may be a good way to learn the business and at the same time not require you to try to do it all yourself.  Of course, that may be a stupid idea, and not work out in the long run, but take for what its worth.

Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/27 17:17:10 (permalink)
    psbfisher11....How old are you?

bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 11:01:48 (permalink)
    pa fisher, guiding is enjoyable and as bughawk has stated a lot of work. you say you enjoy teaching people to fish. you have to also keep in mind that you won't be fishing while you are guiding, at least a good guide will not do that. also some of the people you guide may never have picked up a rod before. it takes lots of patience, especially if you are going to guide fly fishing only. you may be guiding with children who may not be very patient. you also have to be up extremely early if you want to guide pa tribs in order to get to the hole you want to fish early enough. not everyone you guide will be able to walk for a long time to find a open area to fish, so you must accomodate to their needs. basically you need to be prepared for everything you can come up with when guiding, if it can happen, it probably will happen. there is a lot to consider before you make a choice. i am not saying don't do it, if you truely do enjoy it then go for it. it can be very rewarding.
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 11:50:11 (permalink)
    PBfisher,

Go for it, kiddo!  Like everyone else said, be prepared...

Good luck!

X

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little...
    FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 12:00:58 (permalink)
    If you dont have a $1000, forget it. You need equipment, a reliable vehicle, the cpr training isnt free, your license isnt free and insurance... isnt free. Can you cook? Most people wont wanna leave the stream to go eat. Do you have a short fuse? Where are you going to get flies if you do fly fishing trips. Surely you dont wanna tie for yourself when a client can lose a dozen flies in the blink of an eye. When they start snapping of nymphs you just gotta accept it. What about leaders... I tie my own. Got an idea how much tippet your gonna use(hope you get a discount). Start looking into guide programs with shops and big companies. Some will give you rods and reels half off or more.

I do some trips to the tribs but I think erie is a different ball game then the norm for me. I like taking people out on streams where some schmuck isnt gonna jump right in the center of their drift. How are you gonna handle a situation like that?

Btw... when I got my guide license even though I dont guide from a boat(yet) I had to show proof that I took the boating safety course. Thats another $100.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/02/28 12:06:02
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 12:04:32 (permalink)
    where did you have to pay for the boating saftey course.  I took it for free and it is offered the same way several places here every year.  (except for the $10 it costs to send in for the card.)

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 12:07:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

where did you have to pay for the boating saftey course.  I took it for free and it is offered the same way several places here every year.  (except for the $10 it costs to send in for the card.)

I took it online.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 12:09:05 (permalink)
    One thing i also forgot about erie. What is the backup plan when those streams blow out or freeze unexpectedly. For me, theres no trip because I dont know of much of the trout fishing in the area there. Here, I have plenty of hidden places when the big boys are unfishable.
    Buckets Charter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 12:23:21 (permalink)
    Just some more insight regardless what the pfbc guides license states if you take passengers on any navigable water or waterways that are federally funded ie army corpos of engineer lakes you need a uscg captain license period most of the inland guides are in violation of this rule just a thought. Dan
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 12:30:25 (permalink)
    I think the best advice given on here was to sign on with one of the existing guides and handle thier overflow, or help them expand their business.  Then who knows a few years down the road, you graduate and either become a partner, start your own service, or walk away.  And doing it this way is going to make you more money in the long and short term.  Just my .02  I have seen quite a few people from NC who went north to guide and found it a difficult way to go.
    bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 12:50:31 (permalink)
    i agree with bughawk and muskymastr about joining with another guide. especially if they are willing to help you out with some gear. if your looking to do this part time, it could be rough jumping in head first. it helps if you have someone you can piggy back on to for a larger trip to see how things go and find out the do's and dont's, and some tips. good luck.
    psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/28 22:01:57 (permalink)
    I really i want to do this...its only partime though. On weekends. I am a college student and my education comes first. I wont have $1,000 til the end of the summer. I am 19 years old. I know that a lot of people might not take advice or try to learn how to fish from a guy my age. Probably will be called a kid 200 times. But i think the idea of me getting my feet wet and working with another guide would be a good start and awesome.

thanks for the responces guys
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/29 07:12:49 (permalink)
    psbfisher11,

Age is not always the issue.  If you approach this as a professional, people will take you seriously.  I would encourage you given your desire to work at this part time to try and find a guide to work with.  I am well aware of the stresses that college students have and the last thing you need is to add the pressure of being responsible for a business, particularly one that has a great deal of unpredictability to it. 

Good luck

pax vobiscum +
    psbfisher11
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/02/29 21:49:29 (permalink)
    lol yea i know thats true...and college is pretty stressful, thats why i retreat to the creek...fishing just is my escape and thats why i would love to work some how on the side doing what i love and teaching others
    AddictedAngler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Fishing Guides 2008/03/03 18:40:26 (permalink)
    I have worked in the fishing industry for alot of years and have guided for over 10 years. If you are planning on doing this for money go get a job at the local fast food restraunt you will see a pay check and not have the responsibilities of being a guide. To do it right you need everything mentioned above plus advertising and at least a few years to establish your business. Also you are probably a very good fishermen but it takes alot of knowledge to be a good guide. I honestly believe most of my clients would not book with someone your age. Please do not take it personly but if you are serious keep putting alot of time on the streams and learning anything and everything you can from all aspects that are avaible. I think guiding is a life long decision and wish you good luck. Tony
    Jump to: