Helpful ReplyEscalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
  • Reward points: 0
2022/09/21 07:00:51 (permalink)

Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now

Uneasy feeling about this, esp. with all of Russia's recent rhetoric about using all means necessary to defend Russian territory and stating Crimea is "their" territory.  Now, looks like they will be going ahead with their sham referendums in some of the capture territories they still hold....to make them "Russian."  Ukraine will not stop their offensive, nor should they at this point but, I am hoping cooler heads in Russia prevail and they take Putin out sooner rather than later.  It could get real ugly, real fast, if they don't.

https://www.yahoo.com/new...ussians-061436353.html
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/21 11:35:11 (permalink)
It is getting more concerning, but I think Putin would know better and would hope the UN would come down hard if he did.  China and other allies of theirs are already noting concern over the situation in general, which is huge.  Not sure if Putin would be willing to basically be a large North Korea, isolated from even more of the world?  I couldn't imagine his oligarchs being behind it, basically being banned from any of their pleasures outside of Russia.  Very likely targets of various government hit squads after as well.  Their economy would collapse and likely have a revolution.  I wouldn't doubt there is a revolution to happen from what they have done already.
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/21 12:29:00 (permalink)
The only thing that matters with Putin at this point is how much power he holds in his inner circle and how far out he can project that power to control the country.  If he feels that slipping away he will either start to draw back into a compromise or lead the world into a nuclear war.  

If he continues to have loyalty and to be able to project his power internally (mostly I mean the assassination of business, gov't and military leaders who disobey or displease him) it seems increasingly apparent that he will simply keep sending young Russians to the slaughter for the purpose of drawing out the carnage to benefit from the energy crunch that he's creating.  If he uses a Ukrainian counteroffensive against Crimea or the other annexed regions as justification for a tactical nuclear weapon strike then all bets are off.  

MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1936
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/21 14:27:27 (permalink)
Apparently, Russians are trying to figure out how to break their own arms in order to get out of being drafted. There are tons of protests and police beating people.

I think this indicates that Putin is getting desperate, but the scary part is that he hasn’t showed any signs of backing off. This can only end in one of 4 ways:

1- putin gets removed from power
2- the US and NATO step in and start supplying significant resources to push Russia out of Ukraine
3- Ukraine collapses and surrenders
4- Russia uses nuclear weapons

At this point I don’t know which of those 4 options is the most likely outcome, but #4 does not seem outside the realm of possibility, and I don’t know if it’s any more or less likely than the other 3.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/21 21:07:49 (permalink)
You have a way with making titles for threads Eyez. I respect the hell out of it. 

We're in biiiig trouble if he starts throwing tactical nukes. 
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/21 22:22:17 (permalink)
I'll put all this into the "can't help but wonder" file. A little history. Putin was/is KGB, brought up through the Cold War. His objective is to bring all of the countries that went independent after the fall of the USSR back in, under Russian rule. Maybe he wasn't expecting the world to hate him because they didn't react like they are now back in 2014, when he annexed Crimea. Russia is so large that it covers 11 time zones, but he wants more. Their economy hinges on the fact that Russia is a huge gas station, with 100s of millions of barrels of oil, and billions of cubic feet of natural gas. Many of the oligarchs in his cadre have been urging him to pull out; to give up on Ukraine, and notice how many are starting to disappear. One of them fell out of a 6th story hospital room, another killed in a strange auto accident, and that list goes on. Putin has an ego that's not going to let him cave. Think back to what we've been told for the past 50+ years about the way Russia would conduct war. It would be Blitzkrieg on a much larger scale. We've been told they would attack western Europe with aerial bombardment, 1000s of tanks and divisions of infantry, yet that is not how they began in Ukraine. Remember when they first went in to take Kiev? A 40 mile long convoy of tanks, trucks, mobile artillery, but no major infantry to speak of. Then the vehicles began running out of fuel and stalled; there were reports that crews were actually puncturing their fuel tanks so as not to proceed, but that sounds a bit odd. A soldier would be shot for that. So if they ran out of fuel, food, and water, who is responsible for that? Generals. Generals are responsible for logistics, and it appeared that they didn't do their job. Maybe they were against the invasion from the start and didn't want to do their job? I don't believe that they could be that inept to just forget that the columns would need support. Now we see that Russian soldiers don't want to fight, and the Ukrainians are pushing them out. Putin is getting backed into a corner, and we have to wonder what he will do to save face. So now the speech where he will do whatever it takes, and he iterated that it was not a bluff. There smallest tactical nuke is 1 megaton, others up to 10 MT. Even a small one would be a world disaster.
Putin is said to be in poor health. Intelligence analysts suspects that it could be cancer. If true, maybe he's not the least bit concerned about his legacy 'cause he won't be around to worry about it? So now we have to wonder: was his threat bluff or fluff? 

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/22 07:36:00 (permalink)
EMitch, I think you need to revise the yields you state on the tactical nukes....anything in Megaton range is strategic, not tactical.  Affected blast radius would be dozens of miles for a Megaton+ nuke.  Tactical nukes are sub kiloton to low single kiloton yields (Hiroshima was about 15 kilotons).  

US has dial a yield nukes, from .3 up to 50 kilotons or so.  Not sure if the Russians are that advanced and one thing going for us, maybe 25% of the Russian nukes still likely work due to age and lack of maintenance but, all it takes is one to send the world over the precipice.  

Weird to state it here but at this point, I am more worried about Ukraine "winning" right now.  Best option right now would be for Putin to get taken out by someone in his inner circle but then you also run the risk of someone even MORE extreme taking over, which is entirely possible.  It is Russia, after all.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/22 09:01:02 (permalink)
eyesandgillz

Weird to state it here but at this point, I am more worried about Ukraine "winning" right now.  Best option right now would be for Putin to get taken out by someone in his inner circle but then you also run the risk of someone even MORE extreme taking over, which is entirely possible.  It is Russia, after all.  

I've thought the same exact thing.

Best option is for Russian people to revolt and turn this into an internal issue.  Inner circle, likely has the more extreme element.  Populace is more likely to have a democratic result.  Russian citizens are not the gray breadlines that many think.  They are modern with many of the same things we enjoy.  They have "tolerated" stolen elections.  This could be the tipping point.  The timing of it would be about as good as any.  Much of the military did not have the appetite to slaughter their close neighbor, I imagine even more so for their own.  The forces and equipment are depleted enough for a revolution to have much more of a chance.
post edited by Porktown - 2022/09/22 09:03:10
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/22 09:05:25 (permalink)
Could be, Eyes. I was listening to a retired General yesterday and maybe he misstated strategic vs. tactical, in which case both numbers would have been wrong. I know that there are nuclear artillery shells and small bombs, but if you think about it, even a tactical nuke of 0.3KT would be incredibly devastating, not just in the blast of 300 tons of TNT equivalent, but the radiation fallout able to cover miles. One single shell, and what would the world do? Don't even want to think about it!

It appears Putin is taking out those who disagree with him, but to stop this, someone is going to have to take him and his inner circle out at the same time. Only then could cooler heads prevail.
post edited by EMitch - 2022/09/22 10:29:44

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/22 09:13:12 (permalink)
Pork, Putin is calling up 300K reserves. That's like 15 Divisions! Question is, are they modernly trained? Does he even have enough equipment, uniforms, food and ammo; in other words, could they be logistically supported. If he's gettin' arms & ammo from China right now, I think the answer is NO! And maybe the reserves know that, and will be unwilling to be fed into the meat grinder. For the Russian people, maybe the only answer is revolution and a coup'.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/22 09:27:24 (permalink)
Mitch - From the sounds of it, they are not modernly trained.  If his active duty soldiers the past 7 months were any indication.  I have a feeling it is mostly rhetoric in hopes that his threats will be enough for some sort of "win" at the bargaining table.  At least that is what I am hoping for.  Not sure what he will do if Ukraine and the rest of the world reject what he wants for a win though.  I'm sure he is not willing to take a win out of, leave all of Donbas, Crimea and foot the bill to rebuild, as a win...  That is likely what much of the west is looking for to fully lift sanctions.  It is encouraging to read what most of the European leaders are saying.  Basically calling him out for being the next Hitler.  I would be shocked if China is willing to supply arms and ammo at this point.  They may provide financial aid and definitely willing to buy Russian oil and gas at a discount, but I would be very surprised if they are supplying arms.  North Korea and some other rogue nations supplying arms, I would not be surprised one bit.  I believe there are confirmed Iranian weapons being used already.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/25 12:15:25 (permalink)
Now the Russians are blasting Ukraine with Iranian made drones? Probably won't be long 'til N.Korea wants to make the news with help also. Would be nice to get one of those drones intact just to see if they reverse engineered the one of ours that they captured a couple of years back.

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/25 20:26:19 (permalink)
EMitch
Now the Russians are blasting Ukraine with Iranian made drones? Probably won't be long 'til N.Korea wants to make the news with help also. Would be nice to get one of those drones intact just to see if they reverse engineered the one of ours that they captured a couple of years back.

The might be, but it's not like Drones are some top secret type of tech anymore. 
I'd be shocked if North Korea got involved. And if they did, it'd likely be a minute contribution. North Korea is a mess. 

Putin's sending Civilians to the slaughter. Hope the Russian people figure something out.

EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/25 22:33:47 (permalink)
Gator, they can build 'em and they can fly 'em, but there was a lot of super high tech in that US drone they captured intact a couple of years ago; enough to cause a lot of consternation amongst the intelligence communities. Do they have equivalent guidance systems and intelligence gathering capabilities? Don't know, but I don't want to see the Iranians with something of that capability, but it is what it is. Now Iran has their own people revolting over the murder of that girl just 'cause she was showin' head hair stickin' out of her hijab. Sick ba$tards. We can only hope for revolution in the Number 1 sponsor of terrorism in the world.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/28 06:48:54 (permalink)
The stage is being prepared....

https://www.yahoo.com/new...ussians-133035500.html

Even talking like this...prepping the masses....scary stuff.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-the-smart-way-for-the-u-s-to-respond-to-putins-hints-over-nuclear-weapons-11664283728?siteid=yhoof2

No kidding, we are living "real life" game of thrones type stuff right now.  

Article yesterday, Russia dispatching urgent orders for mass amounts of potassium iodide pills.  They do this on a regular basis to replace stock but this order had an almost immediate receipt date.  

Watch the weather for Russia's opportunity to do the unthinkable.  Favorable winds, that prevent the immediate fall out to go back on the motherland, may be when he decides to go full on "Lucifer."

Ohh...and forgot, this also happened in the last couple of days:
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/german-officials-reportedly-believe-crucial-103205326.html

And, and, Armenia and Azerbaijan starting up hostilities again....as Russia's weakness is sensed by Azerbaijan....

Scary, scary times....  So how is everyone's Wednesday?  Mine, sucky...stuck here downtown again when I should be in a treestand!
post edited by eyesandgillz - 2022/09/28 06:52:25
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/28 09:17:36 (permalink)
Scary, but to note that the jet stream is usually pushing from West to East.  So those favorable wind patterns would be a bit less, than if attacking someone to the East of them.  Most of the Russian population centers are in Western Russia too.  I doubt that Putin really cares all that much about his people having to deal with fallout, but he would care about his inner circle's business interests in those areas.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/09/28 17:23:26 (permalink)
https://www.tiktok.com/@howard.78/video/7148020750421626154?_t=8W3lmKpjcWA&_r=1

Hmmmm....speaking of Nordstream 2......the plot thickens.   He said this back in Feb. I believe.

EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/07 12:11:32 (permalink)
It seems that the US and Europe are on a fast track to admit Ukraine into Nato. Are ya ready for another Viet Nam or Afghanistan? If they're admitted, will Putin pull the trigger on low yield WMDs? In this day and age, I wouldn't believe anyone could be that stupid, but Putin already lost his face when he invaded, so what's he have to lose except the world? It is unthinkable! I hope there's some cooler heads in the Politburo that can talk him out of that; if not, maybe they'll have to take him out. 

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/07 12:53:22 (permalink)
What other bargaining chips does Ukraine have when it comes to diplomacy?  They are hitting the table with demands of Russia leaving all occupied territories, paying to rebuild and war crimes at a minimum.  What do they currently have that Russia could ask for in return, if they agreed to half of what Ukraine wants?  This is basically giving Ukraine a bargaining chip.  Like any war, there is a risk to it backfiring into something larger.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/07 13:49:08 (permalink)
Heck, we are on our tippy toes, leaning fwd. on the precipice of WW3.  NK shooting off ballistic missiles over Japan, SK trying to retaliate with their own missile launch, and it blows up on the base, NK skirting the DMZ with a formation of 12 fighters and bombers and SK scrambling 30 to intercept, the Belgorod ballistic missile sub, carrying the doomsday torpedo, is out of port prowling, Ukraine kicking Russia's arse, Putin rumored to be spending time in his bunker well away from Moscow, Iranians rising up against the establishment, Saudis and UAE spitting on the US and cutting back oil production by 2mbd, poo is hitting the fan EVERYWHERE, and I mean EVERYWHERE, Armenia and Azerbaijan hitting at each other, Putin's inner circle publicly making negative comments about the war and the military, the Chechen goon egging Putin on to use tactical nukes, and this is only the past week or two.....hmmppphhh....

With some of the news of the inner circle of Putin's making comments he is too "weak," essentially, if he is disposed of, I am terrified of who jumps in to replace him.  

If Ukraine keeps getting support from US/Europe with higher end weapons, real time intelligence, real time war planning, then I have no doubts they can take back both Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts plus everywhere else, including Crimea.  Once they get Kherson, they are in easy range of Crimea for HIMARS normal and enhanced rockets.  I think ATACMS can reach out to 180 or 190 miles.  Hopefully Ukraine can make a push NE of Kherson and Crimea, reach the coast and establish a zone safe enough to bring up a HIMARS or two, then take out the rail portion of the Crimean bridge across the Kerch straight.  Leave the Orcs a pathway to escape with the roadway portion of the bridge, at least for now.  I think once the Ukrainians demonstrate they can hit the bridge, there will be a mass exodus from Crimea of both Russian citizens, any sympathizers and possibly some military.  

If support wanes and Ukraine loses the high end weapons from the US/Europe, I think they have plenty of traditional soviet "crap" they captured to still get the East back to pre-war separatist borders and get the South back to the Crimean border....  how much more they gain will likely depend on how much longer range, higher end ordinance they save and keep in reserve.  Going into Crimea may be the straw that does it and may see a small tactical nuke in that timeframe.  Hope I am wrong.
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1255
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/07 15:49:43 (permalink)
And as all that drama is happening around the world Mr Magoo is still discharging military personal for the lack of a immunization (Not a Vaccine) and still preaching Woke policies.More worried about tattoes,man buns,pronouns ect ect ect.Every major service has missed its quotas and the pool of eligible applicants has dwindled because of drugs,obeseity,and just can't pass the test.Its a scary time the US is vulnerable!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/07 20:44:54 (permalink)
Someone let me know if it is time to start draining the 401k and stockpiling hookers and cocaine.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/08 00:42:58 (permalink)
Ukraine hit the Crimean bridge. Maybe…
post edited by MyWar - 2022/10/08 00:44:07
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/08 14:57:36 (permalink)
Reports out of Moscow of numerous military members being arrested by the FSB.  Moscow on lockdown.   Military units on the outskirts of Moscow on high alert.  Interesting times....counter-coup operations?
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/08 20:34:10 (permalink)
ICE NUT
And as all that drama is happening around the world Mr Magoo is still discharging military personal for the lack of a immunization (Not a Vaccine) and still preaching Woke policies.More worried about tattoes,man buns,pronouns ect ect ect.Every major service has missed its quotas and the pool of eligible applicants has dwindled because of drugs,obeseity,and just can't pass the test.Its a scary time the US is vulnerable!

What?
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/08 22:42:54 (permalink)
It's true, Gator. The services are being forced to evict any personnel who has not been vaccinated with the Covid juice and the boosters. More than 20K right now, and up to 100K to follow unless they capitulate. The Coast Guard hero that went into a flooded house in Florida and kicked in a wall to save the occupants; Biden called him personally to congratulate him on the mission, but he's gettin' kicked out for no vax. All of the US services have missed their recruiting goals by thousands. Nobody wants to join the service because of WOKE policies and the fact that there is a huge leadership problem with no trust or faith in the government policies. (Or no policies, as the case is). It wasn't bad when it was just the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, but now it's the gender pronouns, LGBTQ, etc. problem. The leftist WOKE politicians have turned the military into girlie man organizations.

MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/08 23:00:53 (permalink)
EMitch
It's true, Gator. The services are being forced to evict any personnel who has not been vaccinated with the Covid juice and the boosters. More than 20K right now, and up to 100K to follow unless they capitulate. The Coast Guard hero that went into a flooded house in Florida and kicked in a wall to save the occupants; Biden called him personally to congratulate him on the mission, but he's gettin' kicked out for no vax. All of the US services have missed their recruiting goals by thousands. Nobody wants to join the service because of WOKE policies and the fact that there is a huge leadership problem with no trust or faith in the government policies. (Or no policies, as the case is). It wasn't bad when it was just the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, but now it's the gender pronouns, LGBTQ, etc. problem. The leftist WOKE politicians have turned the military into girlie man organizations.

The armed forces have had more stringent requirements for vaccines than the general population for DECADES. Let’s not pretend this is anything new. Let’s also not pretend that WWI wasn’t a major cause of the spread of the flu during the Spanish flu epidemic. So let’s please please please not pretend that there isn’t a damm good reason for requiring covid vaccinations of military personnel.
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 503
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/08 23:15:57 (permalink)
MyWar
So let’s please please please not pretend that there isn’t a damm good reason for requiring covid vaccinations of military personnel.

You’re not a serious person.

Or do you still believe the lie that the vaccine prevents infection and transmission?

It has negative efficacy with regards to infection. For new enlistees in their late teens and early twenties it causes more harm than it prevents, unless you consider 1 in 3,000 males in this age group getting myocarditis to be harmless or maybe even beneficial.

There is no scientific evidence or data anywhere in the world that supports Rona v****ine mandates for anybody of military service age and there never has been.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/08 23:18:19 (permalink)
EMitch

1. Good. 
2. So only straight "manly" men can serve as an effective member of our Armed forces? (And they apparently can't have "man buns"?)

MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: Escalation starting.....creeping towards a much larger conflict now 2022/10/09 09:20:34 (permalink)
snagr
MyWar
So let’s please please please not pretend that there isn’t a damm good reason for requiring covid vaccinations of military personnel.

You’re not a serious person.

Or do you still believe the lie that the vaccine prevents infection and transmission?

It has negative efficacy with regards to infection. For new enlistees in their late teens and early twenties it causes more harm than it prevents, unless you consider 1 in 3,000 males in this age group getting myocarditis to be harmless or maybe even beneficial.

There is no scientific evidence or data anywhere in the world that supports Rona v****ine mandates for anybody of military service age and there never has been.

Riiiiiiight… and I’m the one that’s not the serious person.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to: