Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 38
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/11 14:46:16 (permalink)
Sounds like fun. Probably did better than most with the conditions that you noted. When waves are that big, I pretty much don’t bother. But I am not throwing 6-8 oz of lead and 1lb of bait!

Your wife needs to listen to you! Surf and sound access with a few more days, sounds like a no brainer to me. But then again, we are wired different than the ladies.

Photos posted. Let me guess, you are probably currently a bit more red now than that photo?
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1909
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/11 15:31:28 (permalink)
Heading back up to tionesta (tidiuote actually) tomorrow. Probably gonna drink and float with some buddies (none of them fish) on Saturday and I might get a little fishing in while we do that.

But it’s looking like I might get a chance to hit the river Sunday morning with my buddy’s dad on his jet boat. I’m actually really looking forward to that because I rarely get to fish with people I can learn from. I’m usually hitting the water solo, or with people who are less experienced than I am. This dude has spent a lot of time on that water. Should be a good time.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/11 20:06:59 (permalink)
You might be in the market for a jet boat after.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/11 23:20:47 (permalink)
Maybe, but I’m pretty satisfied with the kayak thing right now. Jet boat seems like it would be nice to do once in awhile, but that’s a big commitment. I might be singing a different tune if I get out on it tho.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/11 23:40:42 (permalink)
Actually, that was the last day, although the morning....I use spf 50 liberally and often....
Waves were only that big on the ocean side of the first bar.  Waves more manageable in the first gut but the weed was annoying there. 

6 or 8 oz. Copper legged spider weights held the baits firm.  We used 1 oz spider weights and double drop rigs for the bait rods and during high tide, they drifted in the wash but still caught fish.  Used all circle hooks...fish bites, gulp sand fleas and live sand fleas.  Pretty easy fishing.  I did use a fishfinder rig and a j hooked sand flea to catch the biggest bull whiting.  Bout ripped the rod out of my hand on the hit.  He gave us three big shark bait chunks and I landed my shark on the head section.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/12 10:20:56 (permalink)
Were you able to find your own fleas or buy them at the bait shop?  It is nuts, some times I am at the beach and they are absolutely everywhere.  No matter what tide, etc.  Other times you can only find them on the incoming tide.  Other times you need to walk the beach for 1/2 mile before you find a single colony.  Other times they are just nowhere to be found (guessing out on the bar)?  My buddy and I tried to time the pompano run in Melbourne, FL, but couldn't find a single flea.  The bait shops couldn't get live ones either.  Same thing happened my last time in EI.  A few trips before, we caught so many that the kids wanted to try frying some up.  The wives didn't allow it though.  Guys on Youtube frying them make them sound like an interesting try at least.  Most fish that eat them are pretty dang good to eat...  I haven't had a fish better than pompano myself.

I have noticed when they are really hard to find, I can usually find some near jetty rocks or pier pilings.  But not always the case.  A few years ago in the spring, I was in NJ sitting at a high tide "storm cliff".  Whatever you call the beach when a storm rolls through and recedes the beach to make a little cliff.  It was a good 10-15 yards from where the waves were stopping.  I wasn't catching anything, so bored, just stomping the cliff to smooth it out.  Out pops a huge sand flea.  I start digging and they are all over the area.  This was after looking for them for 1/2 hour prior and finding nothing...  I put 3-4 on a 3/0 circle hook and 1/2 oz Carolina rig, letting it wash in the surf.  Within 1/2 hour, two nice stripers.  Nothing after that though.

I usually do the same with the liberally 50spf.  But after I get a bit sandy, the often part usually isn't often enough.  I've resorted to the long sleeve "cooling" shirts.  Nothing cooling about those things though, but getting in the water every so often seems to cool enough.  I do burn the top of my feet a lot.  The sand in the surf seems to wash off sunblock pretty quickly.  Water shoes in sand don't work for me, the sand inside of them is too annoying.  I have tried neoprene socks, but in the sun, they get to be like 150 degrees.  Zinc oxide seems to be the only thing that works for me.  I'm too old to care that it makes me look like an idiot!
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/12 11:52:41 (permalink)
Here is how my son spent most of the day on the beach.  Think I created a surf fishing monster.
Had to fish around this mass of humanity though...and this was early, before the beach got really crowded.  First 2 days I deferred to the swimmers and we only fished for bait when it got real crowded but on the last day, I kept the shark rods out for the most part.  We were a several hundred yards down the beach from the access and plenty of space to start the day and another 100 yards down the beach was open but everyone had to crowd in.  

Sand fleas were plentiful and perfect bait rod size (nickel to quarter size).  My son sat in the swallow wash the entire time and several times, colonies popped up at his feet and he was picking them out of the sand by their antennae.  Didn't need a rake or anything, just your hands and a small bucket with water in it.  Cast netting was less fruitful.  With the onshore stiff breeze, blind casting was tough...and tiring with only a few silver dollar sized pompano to show for it.  

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/12 12:29:05 (permalink)
You supposedly shouldn't keep them in water.  Not sure how they survive out in the ocean, but supposed to be moist sand and rinse every so often or they can drown?  I have been using small mesh bags (found online for produce), some trick that I read on a FL pompano site.  I attach to my sand spike and try to have them where only the highest wash hits them every 10-20 minutes.  Once the sun is high, they need shade though.  I put them in a cooler next to a frozen water bottle.  The bag stays moist enough for them for the day at least.

I see you broke down and bought a Shibumi (if that is your crew).  Those are nice, but I can't justify it for a week per year.  I've also had vacations where there is no wind at all.  I went with one of those Amazon 4 post tent style "wind" shades.  They work until the wind hits about 30mph gusts.  At that point, it is painful from being sand blasted...  But they beat the heck out of trying to keep an umbrella from flying away and 1/4 the weight of a popup shade.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/12 13:13:52 (permalink)
We only kept a handful or so in there...enough to rebait a couple times, and they stayed fine for us.  Just caught more when we ran low.  If they were tough to get, may have had to do it differently.

no, not our crew....just people getting close to us.  Many more, even closer an hour or two later.  I bought the stretch blue large 4 post, 6' high post with 8 sand bag version.  Worked great, even in the steady higher winds we had.  I also have an Alphacamp 2 post style that is good for 2 people max.  I was getting tired of dealing with the umbrellas too.

Here is my set-up.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/12 13:42:29 (permalink)
4 post looks similar to the one that I have.  My sand bags don't split like that on the corners.  Days that the wind is really wiping, I do three posts in the front (which ever direction the wind is blowing) and none in the back, like your 2 post.  You need to put a counter balance rope from the third to a dead man in the sand, sort of like the Shibumi's to keep it from shaking like crazy.  They are nice sun shades for the price and beat the heck out of carrying a pop up.  If I lived at the beach or had a place to spend 4-5 weeks at the beach, I'd probably buy the Shibumi, but for a week, I see no reason.  Not like it can be used for rain protection for kid's games or much of anything around here.  
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/12 14:30:46 (permalink)
Yeah, the one day we did the 3rd post in the front...I didn't stretch it tight enough on the side facing the wind.  If you get that side pretty tight, it is pretty stable up over 20 mph....but then starts the whipping much beyond the mid 20's.  3rd pole can be moved from one of the ones in the rear then and placed in the center.  

Man, whoever came up with the Shibumi has to be making a fortune.  The last couple years, all you could see was those for as far as you could gander up and down the beaches.  Should be working out licensing agreements with college and nfl teams, really any teams...all the ones we see are the same green/blue color.  

Those southern college alumni would eat up those college branded ones.  

For anyone interested. 
https://shibumishade.com/pages/our-story
https://www.facebook.com/shibumishade

Looks like US made, for now...hence the premium price.  They do seem to work great and it's great to see it was NC local college students that came up with the idea.

I can't believe these, or canopies, or tents like mine aren't allowed at any of the Myrtle Beach area beaches.  Yet, you are allowed the projectile beach umbrellas that just this week actually killed a 63 year old lady after impaling her in the chest.  
Well, I won't go to Myrtle Beach anymore since you can't be an "adult" and have a beer on the beach there without feeling like a criminal but that umbrella law is just another reason to avoid those beaches.
post edited by eyesandgillz - 2022/08/12 14:33:13
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/12 15:24:23 (permalink)
I’m not a fan of Myrtle either, but I have only stayed there once in a large condo area. I wouldn’t mind checking out more residential type beach house area, outside of Myrtle itself. Not sure if they are the same on the umbrella rule. I imagine that could possibly change. They probably want to keep the pop ups from covering the beach. Those things have had to kill more than beach umbrellas over the years or at least badly injure. We had one fly down the beach before and luckily not hit anyone.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/13 17:20:15 (permalink)
I waded the Yough for a bit today. Kind of slow, but not too bad. I got 6 smallmouth. One was a pig. I didn’t measure, but guessing 18”. I had a lot of hits that didn’t button. Only one on a Senko and was the smallest. Others on tubes. Had a bunch of hits on ZMan Diesel Minnows, but didn’t hook any of the hits. Guessing some sort of crank bait or spoon with rear hook would have done well today. Even the tubes had maybe 50% hookup rate. I think the river is too low now. After so long of being too high…. Good to get out though.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/14 15:24:38 (permalink)
Pork,
You ever fish jersey shore in late fall?  Son may have a dek hockey tourney in Egg Harbor Halloween weekend.  Just wondering if I should take some fishing gear just in case we get some spare time.

Figure stripers and blues may be running at that time.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/14 20:10:53 (permalink)
Yes, take your gear! Pretty much from October until Christmas has fish. Whether you time the big ones is another story, I can never seem to do it myself! Far too often the big ones are in huge schools about 1-4 miles off the coast, but some will make their way in to the surf. There should be a bunch of 12”-24” fish though, which are fun on lighter tackle and I pretty much just accepted they are what I will likely catch. I personally like the spring run better, since it is easier…. If you hit it lucky, probably not if late November, when the mullet leave the ICW, it can be explosive. That is more October though. Pretty much once the water hits 70, they bolt south. You will see more blues then and some slammers at that. They are a blast. You will probably be looking at fish focused on sand eels in late November unless it stays unseasonably warm in the fall. If “normal”, it makes soaking chunks rather worthless. Might get something looking for an easy meal, but most bigger baitfish aren’t around then, so they aren’t really looking to feed on them. I think most bunker are gone by then too. More likely to catch dogfish soaking bait in the cold. They fight like walleye. Your shark gear might have them waterskiing reeling them in. Spring time, there seems to be much more overlap of what they are eating and what is showing up, so you don’t need to be as much tuned into what they are chasing. Most likely, the go to will be the AVA diamond spoons with the surgical tubing. Other tins work too, but the sand eels (not really eels) are long and skinny. Most tins that I have are more glass minnow/spearing, which are much shorter. Same thickness, just longer and they do have an eel like swim to them. The smaller fish don’t seem to mind the other spoons and often what I end up with. Guys will slam the pigs with live eels off the jetties at the inlets at 2AM. Work doesn’t allow me to do that. I’m not much of a fan of trying to walk on jetties in the middle of the day. I’d probably be swept away if I tried to do at 2AM.

Where are you planning to stay? AC inlet has fish, but sketchy as F on the AC side. I don’t even like it during the day, wouldn’t think to fish it at night. The Brigantine side has a small pier in the inlet, right across the bridge from AC. I slammed some blues from it one year during the mullet migration on a blue mullet popper. Every cast for a while had 18” blues fighting over it. I started staying at a place on LBI in Barnegat Light, it is called the North Shore Inn now. I forget the old name, but was run by an old angler and loved having fishermen stay. It might not be the same now. I haven’t stayed there in probably 10-15 years. My company won’t even let me stay in the mom and pop places anymore… Mostly 4 star places that they will put us in, which is kind of awkward when taking my gear into nice hotels. The inlet is pretty close and a weird diagonal jetty really close to the beach access for the hotel. I caught some nice weakfish and okay stripers there (not legal size, I don’t catch many of them)…. I started staying in OC if I was able to make it work to take my wife and kids, Wildwood once too. Other trips I just stayed near the airport and didn’t fish... There is a nice stretch of beach at the southern inlet of OC. I haven’t had as much work with 177th in AC as I used to. I get much more work at JBMDL about an hour north. With there I always stay in Toms River/Seaside Heights/Lavallette and do most of my fishing at Island Beach State Park. Even the last few times I had work in AC, I built it into some other work at McGuire and just stayed close to IBSP. Just more of my liking to be at wide open beach than in front of houses/condos. There is an entry fee, but worth it to me. I’ve fished Lavellette and Seaside Heights a few times and have actually done really well in Lavellette (a lot of jetties that fish well). I figured out some nice spots on the back side in the park, so that and the open beach makes it my go to. Let me know where you are staying and I can let you know some spots that I have tried.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/14 21:16:50 (permalink)
Sounds like you had a good beach trip Eyes. Thanks for sharing.
Jtanner
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/15 04:19:56 (permalink)
Porktown
Yes, take your gear! Pretty much from October until Christmas has fish. Whether you time the big ones is another story, I can never seem to do it myself! Far too often the big ones are in huge schools about 1-4 miles off the coast, but some will make their way in to the surf. There should be a bunch of 12”-24” fish though, which are fun on lighter tackle and I pretty much just accepted they are what I will likely catch. I personally like the spring run better, since it is easier…. If you hit it lucky, probably not if late November, when the mullet leave the ICW, it can be explosive. That is more October though. Pretty much once the water hits 70, they bolt south. You will see more blues then and some slammers at that. 

Yeah, I prefer spring run too. Any advice on gear/bait for august-sept? Was usually only doing spring-early summer but this year want to give later season a try. Today ended up at nearby sports store and grabbed myself a pair of Stormr fishing pants https://gritroutdoors.com/apparel/fishing-clothing/pants/ for the trip. Folks there told me it's gonna be plenty enough for october weather so fingers crossed!
post edited by Jtanner - 2022/08/16 08:33:02
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3508
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/15 08:25:50 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
 Used all circle hooks...fish bites, gulp sand fleas and live sand fleas.  Pretty easy fishing.  I did use a fishfinder rig and a j hooked sand flea to catch the biggest bull whiting.  Bout ripped the rod out of my hand on the hit.  He gave us three big shark bait chunks and I landed my shark on the head section.

We didn't have much luck with the live sand fleas for some reason. Had our best success with shrimp and squid. Did you have good success with fish bites and gulp fleas? I have had mixed results with fish bites. 

My rifle is a black rifle
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/15 08:36:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jtanner 2022/08/15 09:01:57
Jtanner
Yeah, I prefer spring run too. Any advice on gear/bait for august-sept? Was usually only doing spring-early summer but this year want to give later season a try

I have never fished there then. My work gets too busy and I try to stay in the office. If I can’t, I am usually needing to work in the hotel room when not on a site, which is when I usually am able to get out. From what I gather, the primary target is flounder. That and kingfish/whiting and imagine some bluefish around. For flounder, look up “John Flinner fluke rig” on YouTube. That technique seems to work well. A buddy of mine has done trips to Cape May at this time and has mentioned mornings and evenings getting bluefish on mullet. There is probably some resident stripers, but probably not like you are used to in late spring/early summer. To me, that is the time to be there.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/15 08:59:01 (permalink)
Pork, if we go, we will be going late October...I was watching some youtubes on jersey fishing and a guy was soaking clams on single and double drops and catching a few nice stripers mixed in with lots of dogs.  I can probably take 2 small rods and two bigger spinning rods (wouldn't bother with my big rod).  But, I need to replace my Okuma reel now.  I was trying to get it up in the car top carrier and it slipped out before I could close her up, whacked the ground and broke the reel seat on one side.  Composite reels don't take too kindly to impacts.  Don't think it is fixable. and it is part of the frame.  $150+ down the drain.  And with my son breaking the tip of a decently expensive spinning rod, it was a pricey beach trip for me.  

Egg Harbor is inland a little so I imagine we will be staying somewhere on the land side with the team so it would need to be a spot we could drive to.  It is pretty much in between OC and AC.  Anything biting well on the inside waters there, piers for public on on ICW there?  I will definitely need to downsize my rigs if we decide to soak bait and not cast. 

DPMS, yes, live sand fleas were the go to bait.  Didn't even try shrimp.  Had small chunks of fishbites on every hook, just so we weren't fishing on credit if a sand flea got taken.  So, didn't know if the bites were FB alone or with a flea.  Never really fished fish bites alone (used the gulp sand fleas for first cast if we couldn't find live ones right away).  I never go to the beach without fresh fish bites.  Shrimp flavor has always worked the best for me whether it was Texas, SC or NC coasts.  We did get good hits on the gulp fleas but can't say we hooked up.  I was low on small circle hooks so we were getting picked off pretty good by pin fish.  Son did manage to land a few decent sized pin fish.  Probably could have cleaned up on them and really small pomps with a 3 hook sabiki tipped with shrimp tossed into the wash but never got the chance to try it after my son broke my one rod.  

We did get a great hit that missed the hook on a 20/0 circle loaded up with 2 big pin fish and a palm size pomp.  Bent the rod over and took drag for a couple seconds before we got to it then nothing.  Brought back a bare hook so I assume the shark had just the tails and ripped everything off.  

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/15 11:17:04 (permalink)
Late October should be better than late November, but you never know.  I took your late fall as being closer to the end of fall.  If the fall is mild, you could hit that really well timing the mullet migration.  If so, most likely that is what they will be keyed in on.  Live ones would be preferred, easy to catch with a cast net.  Chunks would work well too, since they don't mind cleaning up after each other when there is a feeding frenzy.  4"-6" blue poppers work great when the mullet are around.  I hit it one time and even caught a nice redfish.  At least nice for NJ, 24".  Would be small for down south.

I have caught some smaller stripers on clams, but I don't use them often.  No doubt that guys get pigs on them.  If using, make sure to get some elastic thread to wrap them on your hook or you will cast half off if the bar is pretty far out.  They are messy as heck, so take an old rag and bucket to fill with some water to wash up or you will get that stank all over your gear.  An old knife to shuck them with too.  Most times when I get out there, I have 1-3 hour windows after or before meetings, so I stick mostly to artificials.  I am also going in and out of military installations, so I don't like having to explain the bait knife or returning my rental car smelling like old bait.  If I am able to build it into a weekend or get out of meetings early to make it a longer outing, then I will grab bait.  I usually do well enough with artificals to mess with bait though.  I usually check stripersonline NJ regional forum to see what seems to be catching and just roll with that.  Many of those guys tend to fish an hour or two before or after work and seem to tend to use artificials.  So, I probably get a bit of a "false reading" on what all is working.  I'm sure guys are getting fish soaking too.  

I have done long weekend trips with buddies of mine, more to DE to try and hit the run.  It is pretty crazy, south of the DE Bay, most of the bait shops don't carry clams.  During those trips, I will set up the soaking rigs and soaking myself with beers.  But also spend time at the inlet, if I want to actually catch fish.  I can't really do the beer soaking in the middle of the week with meetings the next day.  
Jtanner
New Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/16 07:08:31 (permalink)
Porktown

I have done long weekend trips with buddies of mine, more to DE to try and hit the run.  It is pretty crazy, south of the DE Bay, most of the bait shops don't carry clams.  During those trips, I will set up the soaking rigs and soaking myself with beers.  But also spend time at the inlet, if I want to actually catch fish.  I can't really do the beer soaking in the middle of the week with meetings the next day.  

In the end, we fishing to have a good time, and what's better than getting some beers down at the beatiful shore or river.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/16 07:55:41 (permalink)
Jtanner
In the end, we fishing to have a good time, and what's better than getting some beers down at the beatiful shore or river.

They do go together well!

On a side note, I was in Coraopolis yesterday evening. I went down and visited the mouth of Montour. Definitely different than the good old days. But still looks fishy. They fenced off the access that I usually drove down and just walked. Saw a few guys fishing, didn’t see any bent rods.
Jtanner
New Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/16 08:34:22 (permalink)
Porktown
Jtanner

They do go together well!

On a side note, I was in Coraopolis yesterday evening. I went down and visited the mouth of Montour. Definitely different than the good old days. But still looks fishy. They fenced off the access that I usually drove down and just walked. Saw a few guys fishing, didn’t see any bent rods.

One of the lads I used to study with lives there, told me it's nowhere as packed as it was 5 years ago, but still decent. I've been kayaking Brazos last week(got a bunch of sports equipments from https://rununited.com/sport-equipment/ and wanted to test it out) and there were surprising amount of fish there. Might comeback with my rod next week :D
post edited by Jtanner - 2023/07/11 04:01:41
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/16 09:07:57 (permalink)
Jtanner
One of the lads I used to study with lives there, told me it's nowhere as packed as it was 5 years ago, but still decent.

I'm sure there are some fish to be caught there.  Probably better when things cool off a bit.  I'm assuming there is a water treatment pipe in the area somewhere, possibly up in the creek now.  When it flowed out into the river, the fishing there was almost like cheating...  Hurricane Ivan flooding completely changed it though.  I fished it a few years after that, but was kind of hard to go from a farm pond type environment to a spot that you could get skunked fishing hard for a few hours.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/18 09:36:01 (permalink)
I tried West Newton yesterday for the first time wading the area.  I used to float it a good bit 30-35 years ago, so have no idea where any of the channels or anything are.  I made the mistake of going down river first at the bridge.  I've seen guys wading there before, so figured to give it a shot, since some kids were fishing upstream.  1/2 hour of trying not to fall in pretty rough water and boots filling up with gravel wasn't exactly fun.  I reset and went upstream when I saw the kids clearing out.  A lot more potential there.  I didn't get a single bite though.  Not knowing the area, I am pretty sure I was wading where I should be fishing, which is fine for next time.  The water was about as clear as it likely can be, so I imagine fish saw me from as far as I could cast and were likely doing their best to avoid me.  I drove home in a pretty good downpour, which I hope hit the river.  I think it needs a bit of color to it.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/19 09:10:14 (permalink)
My Kinzua trip was cancelled last week because I caught the Wu-Flu, what a waste of a weekend. No fishing this weekend because the in-laws are coming to visit. Next weekend Ill be on the big lake pretending I know how to troll. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/20 23:48:52 (permalink)
Porktown
I tried West Newton yesterday for the first time wading the area.  I used to float it a good bit 30-35 years ago, so have no idea where any of the channels or anything are.  I made the mistake of going down river first at the bridge.  I've seen guys wading there before, so figured to give it a shot, since some kids were fishing upstream.  1/2 hour of trying not to fall in pretty rough water and boots filling up with gravel wasn't exactly fun.  I reset and went upstream when I saw the kids clearing out.  A lot more potential there.  I didn't get a single bite though.  Not knowing the area, I am pretty sure I was wading where I should be fishing, which is fine for next time.  The water was about as clear as it likely can be, so I imagine fish saw me from as far as I could cast and were likely doing their best to avoid me.  I drove home in a pretty good downpour, which I hope hit the river.  I think it needs a bit of color to it.

I actually prefer low and clear late summer water to high fast and muddy water. I find the fish to be way more predictable. The stealth approach is definitely important though. I also like to work my way upstream too, kinda sneak up on them from behind, cast the bait in front of them and pull it towards them because they tend to orient facing upstream.

I’ve caught some fish on the bike trail side of the river just above the west Newton bridge, but never anything all that big, and not super impressive numbers. I see tons of roughfish through there though. It seems like some bass move in to the shade on that side in the afternoon, and there a few decent holes there. But I think better water is just a little further upstream from that area, the problem is that it’s a little bit of a pain in the @ss to get up there unless you’re floating down from cedar creek.

I’ve been thinking of hitting that perryopolis stretch a couple more times this summer and fall. I might even try locking the bike up and floating from the perryopolis launch to that takeout right at the bend in river road before it goes up to rt 51. It’s probably like a mile or so, so I’d fish it super slow, but it’s some nice water to fish when it’s low and clear like this; Nice current, some deeper water with big boulders and lots of current breaks. There’s not much traffic on that road so I don’t think it’s all that likely the bike would get stolen. Then it would be a quick ride back up to the car.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/21 00:37:39 (permalink)
Hit French creek around Utica again today. Beautiful day. Man, that creek is loaded with bass. They seem to be a little smaller on average than yough bass, but we caught fish all afternoon. No superchunks this time but we got maybe a dozen good sized bass between the two of us (we even doubled up), plus a ton of smaller ones. Most of them came on ned rigs and a few came on weightless senkos. The ned rig was definitely catching fish when the senko didn’t though. I’m convinced that bait is just a smallmouth killer.

It’s also just a pretty little river to float on. The water was very clear, probably at least 5 or 6 ft of visibility, so you could see tons of aquatic life… also saw a couple eagles, a green heron, heard an owl but didn’t see it, plus we saw all the usual birds like cedar waxwings, kingfishers... Not much river traffic, no jet boats, no trains, very little road noise… it’s probably my new favorite river to fish.
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 503
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/22 12:20:04 (permalink)
Fishing around Charleston SC last week was pretty fun, although not great results.  Having fished on the MS Gulf Coast for most of the past 25 summers with minimal tidal movement and no surf, fishing in an area that offers lots of marsh fishing but with big tidal movement was pretty challenging.  

First couple days my 12 year old and I tried to fish different public access points on some of the bigger tidal rivers and creeks.  Wading them is just about impossible with the pluff mud and sudden drop offs into holes and troughs.  We scratched out a few whiting here and there, and my son caught his first Northern Puffer which was pretty cool.  

I'm not much for traditional surf fishing, though I took an old surf rod.  Never used it, as the ocean beaches we went to were pretty crowded.  Not a pier guy either, so we didn't hit any of those.  

My son liked fishing Breach Inlet that eyes suggested, and it was a really nice area.  A nice sandy beach to walk on, and could get away from the surf influence and just fish with the tidal movement.  Lots of fishermen a few times we were there, but not many the other times.  We got several undersized flounder (SC minimum size is 16") there and one outing saw a tarpon jump right in front of our faces which was pretty cool.  Talked to an old salt who was specifically targeting tarpon, and he said he gets a handful there every August, but had not caught any that day.  We did not see any other fishermen catch anything while we were there, and they were using all sorts of live and dead bait chucked out on the bottom.  

At the end of the week, I finally found a spot we loved on Sullivans Island.  SI has lots of public access, and there's almost no surf there because of big sandbars about 1/2 mile off shore.  It was very much like fishing in MS.  Found a real sweet spot a couple hundred yards from Breach Inlet with good but not too strong tidal movement, and a deep trough with a handful of small rock jetties that extended into the trough.  We got lots of undersized speckled trout (have to be 14" in SC and these were 12.5-13.5), undersized flounder, and each of us caught a juvenile gag grouper, which was a first for us.  Friday evening just before dark and just before we got chased by lightning, we had a manatee swim about 5 feet away from our feet as we were wading.  We had never seen one before, so that was cool.  Probably could have saddled up and taken a ride if I wanted to with how close it was.  

Saturday AM there, there was another old salt who has been fishing that spot for 35 years.  Said it's the only place he ever fishes anymore, and he said it's good all year round but especially in the fall and winter for big reds, trout and flounder.  So I told my daughter she's hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year.  

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 38
Jump to: