Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 39
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/03 10:02:27 (permalink)
I always look at the cf/s, since there is a median marker.  Seems to be the same graph, just different numbers.  Possibly could be different?  Looks like Ohiopyle and Connellsville are dropping quick.  Just need to see where this rain tomorrow and Friday go.  Talking close to an inch possible, which will definitely get things raised.

For local fishing, I pretty much either go to what is close and productive, which is the Yough (1/2 hour) or where I keep my boat near Arthur (1 hour).  I used to fish the 3 rivers a ton when I lived in the South Side and Greenfield.  I could get to a bunch of different spots in 10-30 minutes.  The most productive for me was Lock 3 on Allegheny or Mouth of Montour Run on the Ohio.  Both are now 45 minutes without traffic and 1.5 hours with...  Neither fish any better than the Yough though.  Mouth of Montour died years ago, but was EPIC for a few years before the poopy pipe was washed away.  Lock 3 is a good place to wade, but 28 can lock up like a parking lot.  Lock 3 is pretty much like the Yough in terms of wading and hitting different spots, at least in that rather small area.  I have a small creek a little more than 10 minutes from me, but it is garbage during the summer.  Spring, it is loaded with trout, but also loaded with fishermen.  I debated going this year a few times, but just didn't happen.  I'd much rather go to Arthur and play with the crappie.  But those times that I had a few hours to burn, I probably should check it out more.  I can be at a few places on the Mon in 15, but if I am packing up the gear and driving 15, why not 30 for better fishing in the Yough?  I enjoy wading or boating, much more than being stuck to the shore.  You can wade the Mon a bit, but it is more like wading a long dirty lake than it is a natural river with channels and rapids, etc. basically a large creek.  Cannonsburg is about 45 minutes and wouldn't fish there if it were 10 minutes away.  I get sucked into thinking it is a good idea every 2-3 years, then remember why I avoid it.  I've hit Cross Creek which is an hour and not worth it to fish from shore.  Same with Raccoon Creek and North Park Lake.  Pretty much my thoughts of Green Lick or other smaller lakes (an hour from my house).  I'm sure if I put in the time on a boat, they would all be decent fisheries or even figured out some shore spots/wading spots.  If I am driving an hour, it is going to be to Arthur.  I paid/pay too much to have a boat just sit.  I have put a ton of time in on the lake to figure some things out too, both on my own and some helpful info from others that fish the lake, many from this site and others on the water talking.  Which makes slow days more painful than slow days trying to figure out new water.  But I usually catch at least something there (although sometimes it is just bait)...  I will complain about catching an 18" wiper and a few panfish or break off something really nice.  Some take that as a banner day.  I have had days on Arthur that rival what charter captains plaster as advertisement.  I kind of expect close to that every time out, which just isn't realistic.

I also fish a ton of "unfamiliar waters" when I travel for work.  Most work trips, I pack my gear.  Often it is out of state and saltwater, but I fish a bunch of central and eastern PA waters too.  Usually only get a few hours, instead of sitting at my hotel.  So, I do enjoy the exploring aspect as well.  For those trips, catching anything is usually a win.  Since I do that rather often, I don't really seek that out locally.  I am looking to catch fish when I go locally.  Although, I do check out new spots on the Yough and even on Arthur, hitting spots that I found underwater structure or feel would be a good seasonal spot.  I just hit the Kiski with a few buddies on Sunday.  First time floating that river and ever in the stretch we hit.  It was basically like a more polluted Yough that took twice as long to get to...  I did get a bunch of nice smallmouth though.  So, if my buddies wanted to hit it again, I would.  I doubt that I would ever make a trip out there on my own though.
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1936
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/03 22:13:27 (permalink)
Do you ever fish wilhelm? It’s usually a bit more chill than Arthur, but it’s a bit longer drive…
post edited by MyWar - 2022/08/03 22:17:44
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/04 08:19:31 (permalink)
Not from a boat. My thought of Wilhelm has always been, might as well go to Pymie if going that far. I’m sure a decent lake, but too far for me to do a day trip and deal with trailering my boat. I am pretty sure most inland lakes right now are dealing with very similar mid summer fishing patterns. I’m sure 1/4 of the boating/angling crowd as Arthur though.

I have debated to move my boat to Pymie. But the extra hour each way, I would definitely use even less. I have looked at property there, which has skyrocketed in the past two years. Anything that would produce revenue renting out was already beyond what I was wanting to spend. I was unable to convince family members to all chip in for a family camp.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/04 09:10:04 (permalink)
Heck pork, you could have driven halfway to Pymie in the time it took you to write post #571!

Glendale is nice if you want to travel out east for something different and if you want a couple spots to try with a yak or your boat (electric only), lemme know.   Couple small sized lakes out that way that can be worth your time....

Hopefully I'll have a couple salty pics to share next week....leaving Sat. for Emerald Isle but only staying until Wednesday.  Hopefully the weather/wind cooperate and we can get some toothy critters on the beach.  My son REALLY wants to catch a shark from the beach.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/04 10:18:32 (permalink)
I think that was a morning crapper post….

Hopefully good conditions for you guys at EI and your son (and you) can tie into a toothie one.

I have no idea where a good place to target them would be. I usually spend most of my time near the point area. I purposely rented places there the past two times. It gets really shallow at low tide though. So, if staying near there, you may need to fish in the inlet or walk a bit or wade out a bit to get over the large bar there at low tide, probably not recommended at night... It turns into a large saltwater swimming pool, so pretty cool to check out swimming wise during a day time low tide. 2 hours before and 2 after high tide, when there is a good bit of water pushed in, there is a ton of bait that makes its way there. The inlet right next to it is usually pretty fishy during any tide (besides slack), but not sure if sharks hang out there much. I’m sure some do. That area is one of my favorites.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/04 10:54:22 (permalink)
Porktown
Not from a boat. My thought of Wilhelm has always been, might as well go to Pymie if going that far. I’m sure a decent lake, but too far for me to do a day trip and deal with trailering my boat. I am pretty sure most inland lakes right now are dealing with very similar mid summer fishing patterns. I’m sure 1/4 of the boating/angling crowd as Arthur though.

I don’t hit wilhelm often enough to get consistent results, but I usually do ok up there. There isn’t as much off shore structure as Arthur. The upper end stump field is pretty cool. Electric only, so fewer boats and no wake. It’s a bit of a haul tho and I’ve got way better at pulling fish out of the yough.

I’m really having a hard time talking myself into taking the boat out in July and August. Dealing with crowded lakes, getting bounced around by wake, and not catching all that much is not nearly as much fun as creeks and rivers this time of year.

This rain is looking like it might not be too bad. Rivers might be totally fishable this weekend.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/04 12:52:48 (permalink)
MyWar
I’m really having a hard time talking myself into taking the boat out in July and August. Dealing with crowded lakes, getting bounced around by wake, and not catching all that much is not nearly as much fun as creeks and rivers this time of year.

100% my thoughts too.  If I knew a good crappie/perch pattern to bring home fillets, I could convince myself to give up a pretty consistent smallmouth bite.  It is all C&R, but they fight well and I really do enjoy wet wading over sweating my rear off when it is hot and humid. 

The Yough for me, especially wading, I can get out there and have a worthwhile outing with a 3-4 hour window, which seems to be all that I can really ever get.  Arthur requires a 5+ hour window which I can get every so often.  Erie is 12 hour window, which is almost non-existent.  My kids are often in opposite directions, days they aren't, my wife tries to do her own thing or we plan something. 

I can't blame it on the kids.  It is really work that gets in the way of my fishing time!  
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/04 16:06:08 (permalink)
Not looking good for fishing weather tomorrow or Saturday around here.

https://www.accuweather.c...ose-flood-risk/1227478
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/04 16:28:35 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Not looking good for fishing weather tomorrow or Saturday around here.

https://www.accuweather.c...ose-flood-risk/1227478

This surely helps me talk myself into taking the boat out on a lake in early August!

A decent shower just passed here with some rumbles.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 08:45:03 (permalink)
I’m not sure about this weather. The local forecasts don’t look that bad but that accuweather story makes it sound like I need to build an ark. I think we’re gonna get some rain but Im not convinced that we’re gonna get pounded. I guess we’ll see what happens in the next 24 hours. The river gauges all look great right now.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 09:26:23 (permalink)
FYI: This weekend is the Moraine State Park Regatta, and K.B.B.C has a tournament at the Harmarville Launch on Saturday.

I'm thinking about going to Kinzua next weekend, anyone have any pointers or boat launch recommendations ? 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 09:29:21 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Hopefully I'll have a couple salty pics to share next week....leaving Sat. for Emerald Isle but only staying until Wednesday.  Hopefully the weather/wind cooperate and we can get some toothy critters on the beach.  My son REALLY wants to catch a shark from the beach.  

Best of luck! Post up a report when you get back if you could. I hope you guys get into the sharks. Not sure if I mentioned in the other post on HPA but we did pretty well at the Radio Island public access on small flounder and lizard fish on power grubs. That would be a great to take a kid fishing as you don't have the waves to deal with. 
post edited by dpms - 2022/08/05 09:31:06

My rifle is a black rifle
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 10:07:59 (permalink)
CTKsnowman
FYI: This weekend is the Moraine State Park Regatta, and K.B.B.C has a tournament at the Harmarville Launch on Saturday.

I'm thinking about going to Kinzua next weekend, anyone have any pointers or boat launch recommendations ? 

THANK YOU for posting.  This is huge in planning out the weekend!
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 10:08:44 (permalink)
CTKsnowman

I’ve camped up there a bunch and I’ve pulled some walleye, smallmouth and pike out of the bays.

Willow Bay gets alot of traffic but there is a nice launch there.

I’ve had better luck fishing when we put in at roper hollow and camped at Handsome Lake, although the roper hollow launch is super primitive. I like to hit the bays in that part of the lake - sugar bay, cornplanter run… I’m pretty sure that there is a launch at sugar bay.

I’ve never been to the lower kinzua creek section. I believe there are more access points and more structure in generally shallower water in that part of the lake. As you go further north, the main lake is pretty deep and featureless. If I was going to kinzua just to fish, I might start down in that kinzua creek arm. I believe there is a nice launch at Elijah run and maybe kiasutha as well.

I’d like to check out the campground at Morrison run one of these days. I’m trying to get up there in September.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 11:06:47 (permalink)
MyWar
I’m not sure about this weather. The local forecasts don’t look that bad but that accuweather story makes it sound like I need to build an ark. I think we’re gonna get some rain but Im not convinced that we’re gonna get pounded. I guess we’ll see what happens in the next 24 hours. The river gauges all look great right now.

Looking at the radar, it does not look good for SWPA.  There is a huge storm stretching from Memphis, TN to Columbus, OH.  The entire thing looks to be heading directly at Pittsburgh.  Obviously, that could change with other upper level winds and other stuff that I have no idea how to read/predict.  But looking at it's current path and how much red is in the thicker cells, it looks like we are going to get HaM'Rd.

MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 12:54:02 (permalink)
Yea it could just be wishful thinking on my part. Although I feel like the forecast for today is already way off. Like it was supposed to be cooler with more rain.

I finally ditched The Weather Channel app because it was so loaded with ads and bloatware. So this new Dark Sky app I’m trying out is pretty cool. It’s got detailed hourly forecasts with rain probability by the hour and expected precipitation amounts. Right now for Pgh it says about a 30% chance of rain between 3-7pm with like maybe .10 of an inch total for the rest of the day and not a whole lot more tomorrow. The app loads super fast too. The forecast north of I-80 doesn’t look much different.

I’m sure we’ll get rain at some point but hopefully not enough to blow the river out.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 13:21:00 (permalink)
There does seem to be some sort of dry air over the region. When you watch the radar, many of the storms break up. I think the largest sections will be here over night. Typically daytime heat strengthens and night cooling weakens. Hopefully we hit it lucky and just some scattered pockets and no major soaking. Most of what I am seeing now is 50% on the hourly. So that is pretty typical of scattered and not the big storms. Those are usually 80%+ for a few hours on the hourly.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 17:56:32 (permalink)
Welp… Forecast looks good through tomorrow morning at least. Just had a storm roll through with a lot of thunder but not much rain. Looking like scattered pockets at least this evening. On the radar it looks like more rain to the south and to the east.

We might get dumped on tomorrow afternoon but I’ll be happy as long as I get on the water for a bit tomorrow morning. If I do Sunday too I’ll consider that a bonus.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 19:17:31 (permalink)
We got soaked here. Rumbling now, but not raining. The news showed flooding north too.. I’ll be checking the gauges tomorrow morning with fingers crossed. I’m not sure how much made it between West Newton and Yough Lake.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 22:26:21 (permalink)
We got hammered here in Irwin.   Ill be on the road 430 am.  Hoping the rain isn't too bad out east and south.   Hate driving to the beach in the rain....
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/05 22:58:58 (permalink)
lol I spoke way too soon. Drove through about 2 hrs of rain to get to tionesta. Doesn’t look like there was quite as much rain north of I-80, but there was still a good bit. It was quite a nerve wracking drive. So much for the new weather app.

The river might still be fishable. The gauge hasn’t moved yet but I’ll have to check it in the morning.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/06 21:53:51 (permalink)
Sitting on my back deck, that faces East. Clear skies above, but watching a great lightning show towards the “horizon”. With the hills, seeing an actual horizon isn’t happening. The lightning at times looks like it could only be 10 miles. I look on the radar and the closest “green” is at least 20-30 miles away as the crow flies…. Which is pretty Interesting to know, but then I realized the thing took a clear path over the Yough, which appeared to be going back down... Looks like tomorrow will be possibly afternoon if anything now at best. I did get a bunch of odds and end things done today between rain showers. My son and I built a plyo box from some scrap wood that I was planning to burn, so that was a pretty fun father/son project. I guess if it rains tomorrow, hopefully his interest in labor transfers to some not so rewarding projects that need done. Yeah right! I’m not starting any until the lumber yards start pricing wood where it should be. Commodity price has cut by 80%, to prepandemic prices, but they are trying to keep selling like there are no trees left on the planet. Corporate greed = inflation. Can someone please usher in this recession to stop this madness?
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/06 23:59:45 (permalink)
I didn’t make it out this morning because I stayed up drinking until 3:00 am last night, but I’m definitely heading out tomorrow early.

The Allegheny looks great. It came up a tiny bit but the water clarity looks pretty good. Tionesta creek looks like chocolate milk but it’s not too high either.

Crystal clear skies up here for the last couple hours. Super calm too. Like no wind at all. It looks like these conditions should last at least until noon tomorrow.

The yough is over 5 ft at sutersville. Gonna be tough.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/07 16:53:43 (permalink)
I didn’t even try this weekend. I was looking to get out all week with work getting busy. Got a ton of work done around the house instead, sweating like a champ. I was debating to hit some small lakes/ponds about 5 miles away, but got into the groove with the work and took advantage.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/07 20:05:58 (permalink)
 Since I retired 14 years ago have fished less and less each year. Haven't made it out yet this year . Son bought a 20' pontoon with a 20 hp 4 stroke Honda a week ago and is sitting in my front yard now smh. He is supposed to take it to his place north end of Pymy lake on Tuesday so that is good but bringing a 16' dual axle box trailer and 20' dual axle landscaping trailer here this week he just got . Hope to make it out a good bit this fall, down to last bag of Crappie in freezer from late last season.

Glad you guys are gettener done. Just got done letting Grandson feed the Koi outback so that was a start.

Was 16 buck in front of camp porch a few weeks ago at Pymy. Just got a truck and 12' box trailer load of meat cutting equipment on Friday but haven't hunted in 12 years. Think I am losing my mind.

crappy 
post edited by crappiefisher - 2022/08/07 20:16:25
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/08 09:20:12 (permalink)
I spent the weekend replacing my switch panel, and changing the oil and gear lube. I jumped into the woods early Saturday to check the trail cameras, saw a few deer. Unfortunately, most of my camera roll is some guy in a side by side ripping past the cams at all hours of the night.  

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/08 15:53:49 (permalink)
No sharks yet.   Lots of whiting and smaller pompano.  Couple bull waiting that fought well.   Down a bait rod since my son broke a rod tip.   Had one good hit on a shark rod with a whole waiting that went full slack on me but brought back an empty hook.   Tough fishing with the mass of humanity on the beach.   Having fun though.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/09 18:16:54 (permalink)
Well, went 2 for 10 on shark hits.   Will try to post a couple pics in a day or two.  Today, my son had one that was over 5', probably pushing 6'....jumped full out of the water at the sand bar then snapped my 80# power pro.  Son had a good 30 seconds of screaming drag before that happened.   He did land a 4' or so fine tooth shark so a decent one for his first one from the sand.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/09 18:25:52 (permalink)
Not bad.  Glad your boy was able to beach one.  Did the jumping one spin?  I love seeing those spinner sharks in action.  

Any more bull whiting or pompano for the frying oil/grill?  Anyone getting any macks from the beach?

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/08/11 14:14:59 (permalink)
Got in Saturday and took awhile to get situated.   Wind was onshore and stiff the entire time we were there but decently fishable unless the weed rolled in (which it did at times).  Water was sandy to murky.  Never "green" clear to the beach.  Got my son fixed up for bait fishing on Sunday but weed was bad and he only caught a palm size pompano and missed a few hits. We hit Neuse River sport shop (loved that place...lots of everything hunting and fishing) on Sunday afternoon and I got my tourist license and bought some frozen mullet and boston mackerel.  

Went out for some night fishing Sun. night and never got a bite from 8:30 to 10:45 pm.  Crabbed out on the frozen baits.   Called it quits to hit it hard Monday.  

My son caught lots of whiting (up to 18") and a few more palm size pompano and a couple big pin fish that were all put to good use on the bigger rods.  Two of the whiting would have been worthy of the pan but we used them for bait instead. 

We went 2 for 10 on shark bites on Monday and Tuesday.  He was hooked up on my big spinning rod with 80# braid on something def. over 5'....maybe pushing 6', that full jumped completely out of the water at the first bar 150 yds off the beach.  It screamed drag for 30 seconds before that and after it hit the water after the jump, my 80# braid snapped.  Personally, it looked like a tarpon to me but my son said he thought it looked like a shark.  I really wasn't sure if tarpon were in NC waters this time of year but apparently, they are, and they are big.  We will never know for sure.  He had his mind made up on catching his first shark from the beach so I am sure that was what was on his mind. (did catch that 4' one later so all is good).  Lost a full 6' - 800# test cast leader on that one.  Son got to feel the power and saw the jump so that got him amped up.  My 10' Tsunami rod was doubled over and screaming drag.

The shark he caught, it was at low tide and I swam a live 12" whiting out to the first bar then casted it as best I could on my 12' Oceanmaster with a 4/0 hlw.  Got it far enough I suppose.  Bar was only knee deep at low but was over my head for a little bit trying to get out there and I am sure much deeper on the oceanside of it.  Waves out there were solid 4 to 5 footers breaking hard.  With 15-20 mph steady onshore breeze, made that swim out and back a little sporty.  The kicker here is, when the shark hit, there were 6 or 7 teens body boarding in the break at the first bar, directly in line with my line.  Not 5 min. before the shark hit, I was messing with the rod and getting ready to pull it in since they were there but didn't want to rip my line/hook back in at their feet.  When the shark hit, it pulled down my 12' rod hard and almost pulled my rod into the water...my pvc holder started to fall fwd.  The shark also must of breached or jumped a little by that group of teens or, they felt the line ripping by them as they all pointed at the same time and then skedaddled upcurrent 50 or so yards on the bar.  It literally hit the bait right out in front of their feet.....I handed the rod off to my son and he fought it back to the beach but after that initial run, was mainly a few head shakes and the fish swimming up and down the gut.  That rod was way too big for a small shark like that.  Can say, the water around us cleared of swimmers for the next 2 hours after we beached that little shark.  Can't imagine what the tourists would have done if we brought in a thick 5' to 6' one.  

Should have been using smaller hooks/chunks but I only brought my premade leaders with mostly 16/0 and 20/0 circles.  Had several great hits/runs or full slack rods that we brought back with empty hooks.  Had two bite offs on a the two 3.5' premade redfish cast leaders I did have with 12/0 thinner wire circle hooks.  They were only 200# mono leaders and didn't have twisted/doubled bite sections.  I didn't put any steel leaders out.  Crabs were bad but always had skin/bones left on those baits.  Weed was bad at times too where we couldn't even fish for bait.  My weights and line were heavy enough on my big rods to deal with the weed if I set the lines right but, was pretty tough fishing with all the people in that section of the beach.

Pork, water was too dirty to bring the smacks within casting range, I think.  Didn't even walk to the Bogue Inlest pier nor did we try to get out on the beach down by the point.  I was outvoted on the condo up on Indian Beach that would have been a closer walk to the beach, had a sound view and would have had a WAY LESS crowded beach.  Wife will go with my choice next time, I think.  We could have fished soundside and beachside at the other condo but, we would have had to book for a week (I wanted to, she didn't want to) and this other place was available for just 2 nights.  Hopefully a couple of these pics will post.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 39
Jump to: