Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 18 of 39
Author
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/04 19:12:41 (permalink)
Mostly smaller fish with a couple decent ones. Tons of throwbacks drove me bananas today. 45FOW outta Elk. Dispeys and worms for the most part. 3 on a flatline Bandit with some weight. I'm done with that Elk. The creek is so friggin low and that bar at the mouth just keeps getting bigger. Maybe Walnut for the next couple then it's up to Shades.
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/04 20:30:06 (permalink)
We fished out of Geneva yesterday afternoon to avoid the Walnut hassle. 4 man ticket on Reef runners and spoons.

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1936
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/05 15:44:51 (permalink)
Gonna try to get out on the kayak after work on Thursday. Then I’m gonna try to get the boat out at Rosston this weekend. Then hopefully I’ll be on the Allegheny near tionesta the weekend after.

I’ve had a lot of other commitments the past few weekends so I haven’t been able to get on the water all that much, but I should be able to get my fix the next couple weeks. Hopefully we don’t get too much rain.

I was in Chicago over the weekend. Saw some nice smallmouth swimming around the docks near Burnham Harbor. They’d have been nice fish for a SWPA river, but they were probably babies for Lake Michigan.
Timachro
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1339
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/06 14:50:43 (permalink)
Got out on the Mon on the 4th. Caught a few Smallies on a fire tiger Hot-n-Tot. My brother's pontoon is nice. Only problem is the launch at Black Diamond is way too short for his boat. Had a heck of a time putting it back on the trailer.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/10 23:47:42 (permalink)
Finally got the boat out on the river. Put in at cowanshannock creek this afternoon and checked out (I guess?) pool 7.

There was some pleasure boat traffic, but it wasn’t too bad considering it was a warm sunny sunday afternoon in the middle of July. I was on Arthur Saturday, kayaking with some friends and it was a total zoo. The river was pretty chill in comparison. There were a couple tubers, but most of the other boats out were pontoons.

We got a couple channel cats but that’s it. Tried bouncing some jigs with night crawlers, threw some crank baits and paddle tails, i mostly tried stuff that gets bass and the occasional walleye or pike… didn’t bring any minnows. I figure I need to put some more time in to learn that body of water, and I imagine I’ll have some more productive days. I’ll definitely be going back.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/11 11:04:21 (permalink)
I kind of figured that would be the case at Arthur and last few times there have been a bust, so I have been avoiding.  I was thinking Saturday morning Yough and Sunday Arthur.  The Sunday thing didn't pan out.  I changed things up at the Yough on Saturday morning and caught some river minnows and crayfish for bait.  One thing is for sure, those darters are like smallmouth crack.  I was hoping to figure out some walleye bite, but I rarely had a drift make it through without a smallmouth at the end.  Some nice ones too on some relatively small baits.  They would not touch the crayfish though?  I remember times that I fished live crayfish before that they would get pounded as soon as they hit the water.  I was kind of shocked.  After running out of bait, I did okay with some plastics.  Senko was trusty and curly tail even got one.  Granted, I did not fish the slower deeper water, so chance of walleye probably wasn't all that high.  Maybe next time out I will stop at the bait shop and fish deeper.  I need to find a good darter imitation. 
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/11 12:26:59 (permalink)
Porktown
changed things up at the Yough on Saturday morning and caught some river minnows and crayfish for bait.  One thing is for sure, those darters are like smallmouth crack.  I was hoping to figure out some walleye bite, but I rarely had a drift make it through without a smallmouth at the end.  Some nice ones too on some relatively small baits. 

I still can’t catch any of those river minnows. How do you rig them to drift? Do you thread them?

The only time I ever have success with minnows is if I can get large shiners, so I just freeline them, and since the big ones have some weight I can cast them a bit. The smaller minnows don’t have enough casting weight and if I use a spilt shot they get hung up constantly so I spend more time re-tying than fishing.

I’m off Thursday and Friday this week. As long as we don’t get too much rain tomorrow, me and the girlfriend are gonna float perryopolis to Smithton on Thursday, then we’re headed up to a friends cabin at tionesta on Friday morning. I think we’re gonna get out on the Allegheny on Saturday.

I found a nice hole over on saw mill run where I can fill a minnow trap in like 5 minutes but they’re usually all pretty small though. I think they might be some kind of dace. I can also catch a few jumbo chubs on a hook and line. Maybe I’ll catch some minnows and give them a try this Thursday. It also looks like there is a bait shop in Wilkinsburg that has live minnows? That might be worth a look.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/11 12:51:45 (permalink)
I used a crabbing net with the mesh netting.  I'd put it down stream of a rock, then move the rock with my foot to have whatever is under hurry out.  It was kind of a PIA, but got about 10 or so in probably an hour.  That and about the same amount of crayfish.  A little nerve racking, since I did that as a kid and a snake come out once...  I didn't have much luck trying to catch the river shiners or whatever they are.  They kind of look like small chubs, so I bet they would work.  I got one doing the same way, but would see a bunch of them and try to scoop at them, but much too fast scattering.  That one took me about 5-6 drifts to get a bite.  The seemed to favor the darters much more.  I am not sure if a bait trap would work.  Might try next time.  Set it, go fish and come back.

I was using a medium sized (not sure number) split shot and caught rocks on every cast.  Luckily I had 2-3 tiny bb sized split shots and was using one with the darter.  I hooked through the lips.  Pretty tough fish, would stay on pretty well.  Although, I tried using after catching a fish and they weren't very interested in the dead ones.

Not sure if you get on 51 at all, but Shadlure in West Elizabeth isn't too far off the path.  Not as easy to stop as that Tackle Unlimited was, but adds another 10 minutes or so.

My guess is those tube jigs are mimicking darters?  I thought they always mimicked crayfish?  Regardless, those things are a rock on every cast for me.  I'm sure it comes down to getting the proper weight on them.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/11 13:35:46 (permalink)
I’ll hit shadlure sometimes if they’re open when I’m headed out. I go crazy early sometimes, so I used to hit lock 3 the day before. Lock 3 was pretty good at keeping shiners in stock too.

Ive been using paddle tails and flukes more this summer. They seemed like an obvious choice for a minnow imitation. The smaller paddle tails especially seem to get bit more often but it’s a lot of smaller fish. I’ve been messing around with the Ned rig too. I imagine if you get the color right, those might be a decent darter imitation? Darters probably dont do the vertical/upright nose down on the bottom thing that the Ned does tho.

Funny you mention the crayfish. I’ll occasionally catch a bunch by hand and try them too, but I also haven’t had a ton of success with them. They also don’t seem to be all that abundant in the places I’m looking, and they seem to average on the small side. We took the dog up to Buffalo creek a few weeks back just to check out the water and walk around… and it seemed like jumbo crayfish were under every rock I picked up. But the yough doesn’t seem to have the same kind of population, at least not where I’ve been looking. Water quality issue maybe? High water levels disrupting the reproductive cycles? Bass just ate em all? Dunno.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/11 13:54:11 (permalink)
Porktown

My guess is those tube jigs are mimicking darters?  I thought they always mimicked crayfish?  Regardless, those things are a rock on every cast for me. 

My experience with tube jigs has been the same.

The two baits that I’ve found to be pretty good at *not* catching rocks constantly in shallow rocky rivers are bitsy bug jig heads and those weighted swim bait hooks withe little corkscrew wire keeper.

You can drag those bitsy bugs straight across the bottom and they seem to just crawl over almost anything. And those weighted hooks seem to be pretty good at staying near the bottom and just kind of snaking around the rocks. I seem to get hung up a lot more with the other kinds of weighted swim bait jig heads.

Ned rigs have been ok so far but I haven’t used them as much. Lots of bass guys swear by them so I’ve been trying them out.

I also have little to no top water luck on the yough. Like almost never.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/11 14:41:52 (permalink)
Definitely the worst part of the river is getting hung up.  I will lighten the presentation, but probably pulling out of the walleye preferred range.  I'm going to give tubes a try again.  I do have some ned heads that are like 1/32 oz or whatever they are.  I'll give them a shot, might be able to get 3 casts instead of 1, before hanging up...  Half of the fun of fishing is coming up with different strategies to try to figure things out.
snagr
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 503
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/12 14:09:57 (permalink)
Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Not having a boat, catching keeper size walleyes has been quite the challenge for me, but I got my first two of 2022 over the weekend.  Have caught dozens of sub legal ones out of this particular waterway, so finally getting some keepers was pretty satisfying.  And delicious.  Caught these two plus one short within 15 minutes of when we started, then nothing for the rest of our outing there.  

My 12 year old son and I were messin around at Pymy Friday and Sunday evening, and both evenings got into white bass feeding frenzies wet wading a sandy flat that drops off to deep water.  Never saw anything like it before in freshwater.  Gulls were even diving at the bait being chased to the surface - guessing they were probably baby shad.  Most about a half pound, with a few pounders and a handful of 1.5.  Tons of 1-4# channel cats mixed in as well, and some short eyes.  Sure was fun for him and his buddy who went with us Sunday on light tackle.  Lost track of how many fish they caught Sunday evening.  

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/12 18:00:47 (permalink)
Sounds like some great times snagr! Glad you and the youngsters got into some!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/12 21:36:55 (permalink)
Nice! I’ve heard that white bass will do that. I have seen the wipers do mini versions of it. Usually lasts about 30 seconds, then done though. When the baby gizzard Shad start to school up and skim the surface. Fun to watch, but would rather get into one like yours that they are biting.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/12 22:09:45 (permalink)
Nice trip Snagr. 👌
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/13 09:36:52 (permalink)
Porktown
Nice! I’ve heard that white bass will do that. I have seen the wipers do mini versions of it. Usually lasts about 30 seconds, then done though. When the baby gizzard Shad start to school up and skim the surface. Fun to watch, but would rather get into one like yours that they are biting.

Yeah, I've seen the 30 second wiper version at Arthur and make some futile attempts to capitalize on it when I see it.  One evening in October a couple years back in a shallow area, there was about 15 minutes of it and we got into some but they were all 12-14" fish.  

The white bass started well off shore in one big frenzy, and then as they get closer they broke off into smaller groups and the chasing becomes more sporadic, but they were going for a good 30-45 minutes off and on.  Even after the chasing stopped, they hung around and that's when the channel cats moved in.  Guessing they are conditioned to know they'll eat well as the clean up crew.    
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/13 17:47:52 (permalink)
Lake Erie is playing nice. Took the dogs out with us today. We went deeper looking for better quality eyes and found some but we got into steelhead so ended up sliding south a bit trying to avoid any more steel. Best bites (for eyes and steel) were dipsies with medium UV spoons. Mostly dark colors today. Had a blast boating the steel (ranged 22" to 27")

Attachment(s)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/13 19:27:57 (permalink)
Fine kettle of fish. 😆
snagr
Expert Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/13 20:02:59 (permalink)
That’s a good box there - fire up the smoker and get the oil hot!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/13 21:27:52 (permalink)
Fisherlady2
Lake Erie is playing nice. Took the dogs out with us today. We went deeper looking for better quality eyes and found some but we got into steelhead so ended up sliding south a bit trying to avoid any more steel. Best bites (for eyes and steel) were dipsies with medium UV spoons. Mostly dark colors today. Had a blast boating the steel (ranged 22" to 27")

"And to add to the debate... our boat has a 30 gallon box under the floor, we plumbed it as a live well but actually use it as a bleeding tank. Get fish out of net, cut gill feathers with kitchen shears, drop fish into tank and let it swim till it bleeds out. Then put them on ice.  Exchange water every 4 to 6 fish."

They do look nice/clean and fresh the way you do them. 

MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/13 22:31:34 (permalink)
That’s a nice mess of fish.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/17 19:01:36 (permalink)
Got on the yough last Thursday and floated perryopolis to Smithton. Got about 15 bass between two of us. I got 3 that were right around the 17” mark, plus a bunch of smaller ones. Pretty good day on the water.

Hit the Allegheny yesterday, west hickory to tionesta, three of us in two kayaks and one canoe. Everybody put at least one fish in the boat. I got a handful of bass but nothing to brag about. My girlfriend got a 20” smallmouth on a senko. Another pretty nice day.

Does anybody on here know if that launch at whitsett is public or private? It’s about a mile or so downstream from the perryopolis launch.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/18 08:44:43 (permalink)
20” is awesome. Congrats to her.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/18 09:13:08 (permalink)
Yea it was the only fish she landed for the day but it was a good one. I don’t think I’ve ever caught a 20”. Should have got a weight on it.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/20 18:01:46 (permalink)
See they found a SUV in the Yough today. Kinda crazy. Wonder what the story is on it?
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/22 14:57:07 (permalink)
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/22 15:36:39 (permalink)
I actually read that yesterday. An Orange bass. 🤷‍♂️
post edited by pensfan1 - 2022/07/22 17:14:07
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/22 18:12:54 (permalink)

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/24 12:21:10 (permalink)
Took the boat to Tarentum this morning, a thunderstorm came through and gave the boat a nice bath. Managed to catch two channel cats near the dam, I also saw a giant buck on the other side of the river. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2022/07/24 21:42:23 (permalink)
Me and the girlfriend hit French Creek with the kayaks today and did like 6 miles- Carlton to the outfitter’s take out just below Utica.

I threw a Ned rig with a Zman trd pretty much all day, and I gotta say, I am now a true believer in the Ned rig. I probably landed over 20 bass, and had maybe another 10 more spit a hook. Action all day. To be fair, half of my fish were dinky 10” and under, but there were plenty of quality fish too, including a 17” and a 20” tank that weighed close to 4lbs, which is definitely a pb.

My girlfriend threw a weightless senko all day and got maybe 5, but they were all good sized. She got a 17” too. Waaay more action overall on the Ned tho.

We didn’t even try to fish the grass, all the fish came in rocky areas with current nearby, and we mostly fished by banking or leashing the kayaks and wading, although a few came while floating. Didn’t even really get to fish the last mile or so below Utica because we had to paddle to the take out, but that looked like some of the best water.

First time on French creek too. It’s a great little river. Tons of fish, great scenery, not a ton of other people (for a Sunday). I’ll definitely be going back.

We also got caught in 3 mini rainstorms. I suspect the weird weather was probably why the fish were so active. Pretty wild day overall.
post edited by MyWar - 2022/07/24 21:43:59
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 18 of 39
Jump to: