Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 50 of 56
Author
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2022/06/18 09:32:55 (permalink)
Fellows, your gardens look great! Love the containers coyote. 
HT, those Cornish Cross are looking like they will be ready pretty quick. I imagine they are going through a ton of water with the recent heat. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2022/06/18 12:14:30 (permalink)
They are getting pretty chunky. My water barrel system works great. Same setup for the pigs.
I move the pen every week since it's large enough to keep them on grass for a week.
Even though we've had hot days, we've also had some nice cool ones as well so their way better off than last year .
The end date is July 4th after I return from Rhode island.
The next batch of chicks arrives on July 13th.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: The garden thread 2022/06/18 22:04:06 (permalink)
Thanks for the compliment. Not sure how the dirt was going to be since I had buy topsoil for the new beds. I‘ll definitely improve it with some compost and manure by next season.

Pork: Last year I used the tires whole to grow taters but the voles decided that made a great home with food. This year I took the cordless sawzall to them to make a bigger planting area for the pole beans and cucumbers. As long as you stay just below the tread in the sidewall it’s like a hot knife in butter. I put taters in the buckets this year as an experiment.   

HT: Livestock looks great. chickens look like they’ll finish around 8# give or take.

Here’s to a bountiful harvest for everyone 

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: The garden thread 2022/06/28 08:05:12 (permalink)
Had garlic scapes with dinner last night, along with fresh picked garden salad....yummy....
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: The garden thread 2022/06/28 09:34:31 (permalink)
My wife noticed the first beetles of the year in her hibiscus. I was hoping a normal spring would have curtailed them the way it seems to have knocked down the ticks. But no.

So all the roses, fruit trees, and ornamental trees got a spray of Sevin this morning. Some of the roses had a beetle or two; some apple trees had clusters of a half dozen; and the cherry had more than a few clusters.

Hopefully I got them at the start and they don’t strip the leaves like they can.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/06/30 06:35:25 (permalink)
The beetles showed up on some Genovese basil in my wife’s raised bed herb garden. Obviously, I cannot use something like Sevin to get rid of them.

Any suggestions on what I can use on consumable plants before the beetles eat them all?

Peppermint spray has been suggested, but there is actually a peppermint plant within a few inches of the basil (beetles are not bothering it though).

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: The garden thread 2022/06/30 11:14:27 (permalink)
 YouTube has a bunch of remedies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyvcmpyD7FM
DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/06/30 14:30:56 (permalink)
Thank you.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/04 09:09:17 (permalink)
Yesterday was a great day of work to process our chickens. The wife and I had an awesome system down and our work stations went perfect.
We first plucked ( with a plucker) and put all the birds in a tub of ice water.
Second station we cleaned and heat wrapped 10 birds whole.
Third station we halved the remaining 15 birds.
4th station we vacuum sealed 30 halves and all the wings seperate.
We took many breaks in between each station to clean/ sanitize and cool down in the pool.
While it took us mostly all day, the actual work was about 4hrs, not counting cleanup.
In about 12 weeks, we'll do it all over again. 😀

Today I'm going to pick some of my garlic and start the drying process. I will plant some more tomatoes in their place.
My tomatoes are doing great and many on the vine but still always away.
Cukes seemed to pick up a bit.

Oh, we also processed 10 lobsters for freezing and about 200 clams for chowder.
One of these days there will be time to rest on the homestead, lol..

Happy independence day!

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/04 13:15:24 (permalink)
100 garlic bulbs harvested today.

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/06 10:23:46 (permalink)
hot tuna
Yesterday was a great day of work to process our chickens. The wife and I had an awesome system down and our work stations went perfect.
We first plucked ( with a plucker) and put all the birds in a tub of ice water.
Second station we cleaned and heat wrapped 10 birds whole.
Third station we halved the remaining 15 birds.
4th station we vacuum sealed 30 halves and all the wings seperate.
We took many breaks in between each station to clean/ sanitize and cool down in the pool.
While it took us mostly all day, the actual work was about 4hrs, not counting cleanup.
In about 12 weeks, we'll do it all over again. 😀

Today I'm going to pick some of my garlic and start the drying process. I will plant some more tomatoes in their place.
My tomatoes are doing great and many on the vine but still always away.
Cukes seemed to pick up a bit.

Oh, we also processed 10 lobsters for freezing and about 200 clams for chowder.
One of these days there will be time to rest on the homestead, lol..

Happy independence day!

Very impressed!  We have done the processing many times ourselves and know what a job it is. Once you have a good system it is a world different though!  We are preparing to help a friend of mine do her first processing this Sunday.  We will take our equipment and teach her and her family the steps so they can then do it themselves later. This first round is Cornish cross (CX) meaties.  So will teach them how to do the plucking route. In the fall she will have a bunch of heavy breed cockerels to process and a second round of CX so will go back and teach her how to skin and pressure can them.  I gave her a couple jars of our pressure canned chicken and her family loved it so she got a bunch of cheap heavy breed males to raise over the summer. (She has a good spot for them to free-range and forage).  She also got 7 or 8 turkeys. I helped her plan out the growth rates so the second CX, turkeys and cockerels should all be ready within a couple week time frame to make it easier for processing. 
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/06 10:54:30 (permalink)
Thas awful busy HT.
I'm doing pickles already, got some koosas for dinner tonight. Lettuce and cukes are off tha chain and zukes coming outta my ears already. I pulled about 20 garlic a couple weeks ago, it wasn't ready. Kinda on the smallish and not real strong. Guess the leaves weren't brown enough yet? I'm gonna give the other 80 another week or so. Tomato plants have picked up and look really good as do the eggplants also. The peppers are still shot. Seems to be a common thing around here this season. Everyone I talk to saying the same thing about them. Like I said, maybe too much rain last month? Keep those posts coming. Luv seeing it. 👍💪
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/06 21:33:53 (permalink)
Fisherlady, this year we had an awesome system down after struggling the past 6x2.
Absolutely having stations set up properly in order and not jumping to different processes in between was key. Can't wait to get the next batch of chicks in 7 days.
We also compost all the remains.

Ended up picking 200 garlic on Monday and all drying well. I checked a few of the other 200 patch and they are ready, I'm just not yet. They will be fine growing unless we get substantial rains.

Can't find any pre started tomato plants anywhere to put in the empty boxes. I might start summer squash in place and hold out 1 box for greens once the sun gets lower.
My 50 or so tomato plants now are doing well. Expected harvest in August.
My peppers suck..
Cukes are nowhere near potential.
Herbs are daily and being dehydrated.

Fall is soon upon us..
Show your goodness

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/07 11:20:34 (permalink)
pensfan1
Thas awful busy HT.
I'm doing pickles already, got some koosas for dinner tonight. Lettuce and cukes are off tha chain and zukes coming outta my ears already. I pulled about 20 garlic a couple weeks ago, it wasn't ready. Kinda on the smallish and not real strong. Guess the leaves weren't brown enough yet? I'm gonna give the other 80 another week or so. Tomato plants have picked up and look really good as do the eggplants also. The peppers are still shot. Seems to be a common thing around here this season. Everyone I talk to saying the same thing about them. Like I said, maybe too much rain last month? Keep those posts coming. Luv seeing it. 👍💪

I guess I should knock on wood...my peppers are doing kind of good so far this year.  Picked a big green bell and a hot Zizzler last night to roast on the grill with the burgers for a nice topping....yum.  Got many more forming, plants look strong and my jalapenos are stacked....   Zukes will be off the chart soon...just picked a couple this past week but many more just about there.  Think I got my last picking of lettuce this week.  Not sure it will come back again...but we have been eating off them for a month now....

How many "brown" leaves should you have on your garlic before you pick them?  I read that you should have as many dry/brown as green before you pick.  

Still waiting for that first red mater....my mom has already picked a few but she was a couple weeks ahead of me with her tomato plants.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/07 12:29:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fisherlady2 2022/07/08 06:13:11
Typically, when the lower 3 leaves on garlic turn brown, they are ready.
Normally, I pick 1 or 2 that have a large stalk and a small stalk as a test.

Garlic doesn't grow well in continued wet conditions and the bulbs will rot.
Remember as well, certain types of garlic develop large or small bulbs so it won't matter how long they stay in the ground , they will only start to split.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/08 20:56:04 (permalink)
Haven't done an official count but all my garlic has been harvested today. There was no advantage to leaving it in ground when it's ready to harvest.
Usually grade it A B C.
I will say it's pretty much all B +.
Very few C , maybe 10 bulbs.
Lots of good big bulbs I'll save a few for replanting. I think these bulbs are 6th generation to me.

That leaves 4 open beds I need to fill this weekend.
Tomatoes are cranking. About 2 weeks I'll be canning sauce.
House work detail this weekend to prepare for chicks on Wednesday.
Off to fun stuff at deer camp next. Gotta start tracking on cameras those antlers.

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/09 06:52:11 (permalink)
This was my wife’s first attempt with a raised bed. We had very enjoyable leaf lettuce, but now it seems to be growing skyward in 8-10” stalks instead of replacing the leaves.

Is it done?

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/09 12:56:47 (permalink)
Dar, we haven't grown lettuce in a few years but I'm thinking it's served its purpose and lifespan in the temperatures now.

Lots work here preparing for next birds and keeping up with chores.
My garlic count was 296 good bulbs. I gave away 30 prior and have about 30 of Rojas still in ground.
Basically at an estimated 400 planted, I'd say almost 100% return.

Attachment(s)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/09 14:33:32 (permalink)
Yes, once lettuce starts to bolt its about done. You can still pick that last batch but it'll be a little bitter. Pull it out, wait a couple more weeks and resow. You can have lettuce into September and October.

I got kinda "spooked" about that garlic rotting, so I pulled it. Great return. Some grew bigger than others, but I will have plenty for canning and cooking. I keep the biggest cloves for the fall planting. I planted 2 different kinds of hardneck. I'm gonna do about the same amount again, which was around 100 head. One a great side note, The Big Lake is supposed to be really good for weather and waves the week after next. I'm feeling another vacation coming on. 🐟🐟🐟🎣🎣🎣🛥🛥🛥
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/10 20:36:21 (permalink)
Funny how everyone knows when the garlic man's in town.. They are disappearing fast. About 75 off the racks.
It's all cool because I got a trade going on zucchini and squash..
Finally found time to stain my 250' fence we built in April 2021. I only have 1 neighbor but it's that 1 😣
Came out awesome..
A few days rest at the J.O.B. then its back to busyness

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/12 19:54:50 (permalink)
How's everyone's tomatoes doing ?
We've basically been in drought for awhile and I water every other day. All my plants were from seed of 4 varieties. Jet star, Rutgers, Roma and better boy.
My plants are cranking and producing lots of fruits with some ripening. There will definitely be a lot coming.
My only thing is, all varieties are small in size. Basically just larger than a cherry tomatoes.
That's strange because 2 should be large as they were in past years.
At least we got a 30 minute gully wash today. Nothing new in sight for another week
post edited by hot tuna - 2022/07/12 20:32:17

Attachment(s)

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/12 21:20:36 (permalink)
Mine are growing like crazy and just starting to set fruit. We haven’t seen more than half inch of rain in the last 3 weeks, like you I’m watering every other day unfortunately my water tanks are almost empty. I’m also battling a groundhog who is eating the leaves off the beans. I thought I got it last week but evidently there’s more than 1

Attachment(s)

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/13 08:13:41 (permalink)
Most of my tomatoes are doing great. Couple "weak" ones here and there. I also run the sprinkler every evenging. Can't believe we went from rain and monsoon weather last month to zero rain this month. If I can get one of the girls to take some pics, I'll gettem up here. I'm still having trouble with posting from my Samsung🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️. Keep on going and growing..
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/13 09:38:11 (permalink)
Second batch of chicks all arrived healthy today. 8 weeks and they will be in the freezer.
We have a good system down for our meats.
Currently with the rotation of beef, pork and chicken, we are stocked into 2024 ( next cow in March).

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/18 20:31:41 (permalink)
Some incredibly humid weather the last 2 days brought with today a much needed good soaking rain throughout the day. The air is THICK . My garden will bust wide open by next week.
Unfortunately, drying the garlic took a setback in the humidity. I clipped about 100 from the covered outside drying racks and moved the bulbs to inside racks with fans in our house. We have central a/c.
Tomorrow's project is to get them all inside on racks.

The chicks are doing great in the brooder. Only 1 dead loss out of 30 and the remaining 29 are growing before my eyes.

This was today's pick. As I said, for some reason these heirloom tomatoes are tiny.
The Roma and plum look normal size.

Happy eating the rewards we sow.

Attachment(s)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/18 21:15:37 (permalink)
Wow tomatoes already. Nice work.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/22 20:00:19 (permalink)
And so it begins. Should be doing about 8 quarts a week until things kick into high gear around August.

Attachment(s)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/22 20:18:49 (permalink)
👍💪. I don't have any ripe yet, but I'm up around 20 quarts of pickles. Good stuff HT
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/24 09:04:46 (permalink)
I need maters....lost 3 or 4 ripe ones from one of my containers due to blossom end rot.....just out and had to tie up a couple mater plants.....winds from yesterday's storm blew the staked basket over......

Found 2 8#-10# zukes "hiding" under the leaves....not sure how I missed them....not sure what we will do them.....
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2022/07/24 10:49:42 (permalink)
We've had a couple chocolate zuke breads here. They've been delicious. On the big ones, I've sliced thin, breaded and fried em. Put em in the freezer. They make a great substitute for eggplant parm. As far as tomatoes goes, still nothing close to ripe here. 🤷‍♂️. That means when they start, I'll be running that mill and boiling jars everyday. 🤞
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 50 of 56
Jump to: