New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2022/05/03 19:09:10 (permalink)

My Sort Of Weedless Bass Streamer

I just signed up as I was looking for a forum to help with my fly tying 

But I figured I would pass along a streamer I dreamed up a few years ago 
I live in NW Ohio , just SE of Toledo Ohio 
I do a good amount of Large and Small Mouth Bass fishing , Channel Catfish , crappie and Northern Pike fishing 
Some in private ponds , some in public ponds ( a lot of ponds were dug for dirt to build overpasses ) and a lot in the Maumee , Portage and Sandusky rivers 

I like to test my skills with a fly rod 
So I needed a durable , easy to tie and effective streamer 
I also wanted it to be as weedless as possible 

So to start I wanted a large streamer for Northern Pike and Large Mouth Bass 
As several of the ponds I fish have shallow areas that warm up early , but get tons of weeds early also 
So I grabbed a 3/0 VMC 8312 Worm Hook 
I added white thread to the shank of the hook between the kink and the bend of the hook 
I then added lead wire , starting close to the bend of the hook to about the middle of the shank 
I covered the lead with more white thread and added white ice chenille from the kink to the bend of the hook 

I wanted to add a 3" to 4" dark body to extend form the kink out past the hook point to greatly reduce collecting weeds 
But the short length between the hook eye and the kink was a problem , I could do it but it looked nasty
So I got out some 30 lb mono and epoxy 
I laid a 2" chunk of  mono on some waxed paper 
About in the middle I added epoxy in a 1/4" long area 
I then worked some 4" black Icelandic Streamer Hair into the epoxy 
I added more epoxy and added some black deer buck tail and then 3 or 4  strips of silver Flashabou in several layers 
Forming a cone of epoxy about 1/2" long and 3/4 of the way around the mono ( I now make 10 or more of these at a time )
After curing over night I cut off all the mono behind the epoxy cone 
I put a layer of black thread between the eye and the kink 
With the deer buck tail and streamer hair only about 3/4 of the way around the mono 
There is a grove in the epoxy up to the mono that the hook will fit into 
I then heat the mono and stretch the mono 
I cut the mono off at about 1/8" in front of the epoxy cone 
Super Glue is used to hold the mono / epoxy cone / dark tail to the hook point side of the hook 
Then several layers of thread is used to secure everything and cover the epoxy cone
Black fingernail polish is used to cover the thread , I also use a bit of red or white fingernail polish to "Paint" small eyes 

The body extends from the hook eye past the hook point 
Providing  buoyancy to keep the hook point up 
Also the body covers the hook point 
Stopping the streamer from collecting weeds as I retrieve it 

I cast the streamer right into the cattails that are in a foot or so of water 
Many times hooking bass lurking at the very edge of the cattails 

I also tie this streamer with as small as a #2 worm hook for crappie and 1/0 or 2/0 for river Large or Small Mouth Bass & Channel Catfish 
Also I tie a bunch of this streamer with chartruse & black , white and dark green or chartruse and dark green bodies 
The Chartruse and dark green is my go to streamer for fishing for channel catfish in hole behind rapids in the rivers 

John

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: