Drag?

Author
fishON4Me
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 142
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/25 18:54:50 (permalink)

Drag?

As I am a newbie to the Steelhead world of fishing, can an expert explain to me how to set your drag on your reel correctly? How do I know if I am setting it to much or to little? I have yet to use the reel and never fished for steelhead so how will I know if my drag is set correctly before I start fishing with it? Thanks in advance.

16 Replies Related Threads

earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/25 19:29:37 (permalink)
    fishON,

I hope that somebody more knowlegable will weigh in for your couple of questions.  I believe that a drag setting depends largely on several factors like line strength (lb. test), ability of line to stretch, length and type of rod you are using and finally the reel itself.  I am a goof who fishes with a really long rod that has a good amount of backbone.  I use 6lb YoZuri hybrid line.  Last summer I caught 15lb+ carp and the drag only spun once!  Again the idea is to have the line be able to stretch but NOT break.  Before it breaks, the drag should spin and prevent the line from snapping.  I am not sure of a good scientific way to set the drag on a rod and reel combo.  I am confident that other members on this board will come up with better advice.  There is rarely anything wrong with taking your time to land a fish.  The danger of setting too light is that you will not have enough power to get a decent hook set.  I typically set my drag a little light on a given day or outing and then I adjust it on the first hook up.  If your rod reel combo is close to well matched or balanced, and you use reasonalby fresh line, this may not be the biggest deal of the day.

Hopefully someone else chimes in soon
    Regards,
    Brent

PS your avatar is unique. . .what does it represent
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6351
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/25 19:46:58 (permalink)
    FishON4me,
          You just asked a question that probably has a thousand opinions.  Personally I like my drag to be set at 1/2 the line tensile strength  (rating)  Ie:  For 6 pound test I like to set it up at three pounds; it's easily checked with a fish scale just have a friend pull on the scale and line and hold , say three pounds tension and adjust the drag until it just starts to slip above three pounds.  Some folks like to set it light and tighten it on the fly with each hook up.  Some like it to be just below the breaking point of the line.  Me I go with 1/2 the rated line weight, and adjust as needed.  You usually want some slip to prevent the line snapping in case of sudden shock loads.  But not so much that you can't reel a fish in.   If your reel is slipping when you try to reel in a fish then it's probably too light.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/25 21:34:55 (permalink)
    I am by no means an expert, but I think its all in the feel.  After you have caught a few, the feel will naturally come to you.  I would start by setting it at a medium light level and thats where you can pull it out by hand somewhat easily, but with a fair amount of tension.  I would not recommend setting it too lightly or you might have a mess when setting the hook for the first time.  Adjust accordingly while you are fighting the fish.  No worries, it will come to you naturally.  Keep in mind, all of this is also dependent on what pound test you will be using.  I prefer 6lb or 8lb. and I really do not see the need for anything more or less for stealhead fishing.  Good Luck.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/02/25 21:36:19

mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 09:30:53 (permalink)
    Saltwater captains have told me to use a scale and set drag to slip at 1/4 of stated breaking point.  I never bothered.  I set it pretty light and let the fish wear themkself out.  Better than a breakoff  or hooks tearing out.  With heavy braid I might go lighter yet.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9681
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 09:37:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Adjust accordingly while you are fighting the fish. 

Definitely not an expert, but took me a good 10 lost hook ups to learn this, so hopefully you can avoid that.

15 years ago, when I first started fishing steelhead, I was using a stockie set up.  4lb line on a light medium rod, and even ultra light on occasion (wouldn't recommend - really **** off others waiting 1/2 hour for you to fight a fish to fatal exhaustion).  I'd either immediately snap on the first or second run, or end up with a birds nest while setting the hook.  I good guy across the stream gave me the simple advice to loosen the drag a bit after setting the hook. 

With the new lines (poly, hybrid, ect.) you can get a 6-8lb line that is a thin as the 4lb line of 10 years ago, so definitely take advantage of that.  A longer rod will take a good bit of pressure off of the line too.  If you go the 4lb route, set your drag as you would for regular trout fishing for hook set (3lb of pressure or enough to have drag on a "normal" fish).  Loosen immediately after hook set, since most of these fish, especially in the fall, are like rodeo bulls.  A 7lb fresh steelhead swimming as fast as it can, with the help of some current, can put some pressure on your line...  If you are casting spoons or fishing for other fish that don't have as much of an eye for the line, then moving up on line wt. isn't a bad thing to do.  I have 13lb poly on one of my set ups, that is thinner than most 8lb lines.  While I am casting light offerings further than most of my fishing buddies, I have yet to hear the dreaded snap.  That line may be a little much for stream fishing steelhead, I'd definitely use it for the lake though.  I still have the drag set as if it was maybe 10lb line though.

DO NOT keep really when the fish is taking drag!!!  This will only twist your line.  Let him/her run, then reel when they are not running, hear drag, stop reeling, repeat...
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 09:39:54 (permalink)
    i, too, do it by feel.  been doing it so long it just becomes instinctive as to when to move your fingers to the drag to adjust.  not saying i am right all the time.  i start with a looser drag and tighten down when needed.  practice during the summer by chumming your local carp hole with corn and catching a few of these on light drags.

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 10:04:39 (permalink)
    i would like to know if he's using a fly rod or a spin outfit?

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 11:21:47 (permalink)
    This was my first season fishing for steelhead as well.  I found it the best to keep your drag loose initially and tighten it as the fish wears out.  I'm only using 4# test so I can't horse them in.  The only predicament I came across is when fishing around a lot of people I had to tighten it a little more becuase I didn't want to mess up everyone else around me.  If the fish is taking me all over the place other people can't fish.  Most people don't care but there are always exceptions.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    fishON4Me
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 11:44:31 (permalink)
    I am using a Spin rod set-up. 10ft. noodle and a shimano sidestab rear drag reel. I have yet to get any line but I plan on using 6lb. Any suggestions on exact brand names? Thanks again.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 12:52:11 (permalink)
    Way tooooo much thought and rationalzation going into this... Set at this # test , that # test , light, medium, hard. What's the big deal ? You'll know when it's right. It's a matter of preference. And of course space to fight a fish. Whatever you do, throw science out the window and go fish, you'll know...as far as line, McCoy is reliable line as are many others. Again, experiment and pick the one you feel confidence with. I've used Trilene for years and McCoy also. Can't say much about the rest. And, I almost always get 6#.  Dave
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9681
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 12:59:53 (permalink)
    Here's what I use for the 14# stuff, which is the thickness of most 8# (.28mm).  They have a 10# which would likely be like most 6# (.23mm).  Not a bad price either ($11 for 1/4 lb spool - spool the size of a pop/beer can).

http://breakawayusa.com/shop/acc.htm

I ordered some Cabela's Copolymer line in 6lb, for stocked trout and panfish.  I haven't used it, but will let you know when I do.  It's on sale pretty cheap now.  Mixed reviews, so not sure how good it is.  It is thinner than the 4lb that I replaced on the reels.  I've used the Cabela's Salt Striker Copoly line, and seems to handle well, and much less diameter than regular mono.

Remember to put it on correctly.  Someone had a great trick posted a few weeks ago.  When putting it on, crank a few cranks on your rod, then dip the tip of your rod towards the spool.  If it twists up, then it is going on wrong.  Flip the spool over and proceed to fill the spool.  That's all you need to do to check.  Wish I knew that trick sooner!!!
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 14:21:13 (permalink)
     Use a front drag reel, stay away from rear drags they are junk. Know when to loosen/tighten & how much is the trick. Practice with the neighbors cat will help cut into the learnin time.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/26 14:32:35 (permalink)
      Tim,

if you are fillin from a 330 yrd. spool & windin with your left hand most times the lable ov the spool should be on the floor. If usin the bulk sz. spools I'll line from the top not bottom with the spool in a horz. pos.
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2008/02/26 15:15:54
    oncorhynchus
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/27 08:38:19 (permalink)
    Thread the line all the way through the rod tip and pull down while holding rod 12:00 position and pull till the spool starts to move, especially on a noodle rod, you will be surprised how hard you have to pull to get the spool to spin,
    However if you having problems with long runs and can’t put the brakes on it’s because of pound test line, and how big the fish is, no matter what lb. test line drag must spin to prevent breakage, so take it from there.
    post edited by oncorhynchus - 2008/02/27 08:50:19

better to be silent & thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    RustyLeghold
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/28 13:22:40 (permalink)
    dude, set your rod up the way you are going to fish, hook and everything, attach hook to some thing, door @ home or on the car, start with drag set way too loose & tighten gradually while you pull back(just like you had a fish on)so not matter  how quick or hard you jerk your line doesn't break, if it does re-ty check, after some time doing this you will be able to gauge it by feel, but this way is foolproof... hope it helped!!!!!!!!
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Drag? 2008/02/28 23:04:19 (permalink)
    alot of it has to do with feel, depending on what fish your fishing for I consider myself a pretty good drag setter and have always lived by the motto you can land just about any fish on any line as long as your drags set right.  But some of the New York STEEL might have put my theory back a little bit
    Jump to: