Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 802
  • Reward points: 0
2021/10/06 14:05:09 (permalink)

Arthur (Perchtober)

Anyone having any luck on the perch up Arthur? haven't had a chance to get out yet, but October has been great in the past. Can't wait to wade the weed lines for some jumbos!

Got Walleye???
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9659
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/06 14:46:19 (permalink)
I have not.  I usually do better when things cool off a bit more.  When the weeds start to die and holes in the weed lines start.  The past few weeks have been an extension of summer, but the nights have been chilly.  Not sure if that will throw things off or not?  It looks like next week is doing the same, then finally turning to fall.  It might just go to winter though...  

Last year was rough for me.  4-5 trips and none of them were more than 4-5 fish.  Usually, I have at least one banner day of fish on every other cast with a few okay days of 20 or so fish (half being smaller).  I didn't even get one of those last year.  Not sure if it is from the pressure the lake got last year or what it was?  My crappie season this spring was similar.  Although I did have a few okay days, but no banner days.  The night bite during late spring was the worst that I have had in close to 20 years of doing it.  Hopefully things improve!
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/07 12:52:28 (permalink)
I agree, this spring was awful. It could of been the extreme temp changes or even the lack of rain/water probably being more likely. Last fall I did extremely well around the bear run launch and some 528 areas of the lake for perch. Lot's of dink's but if you stuck around long enough there was some big em's to be had. Hopefully I can get out and see what's happening. I appreciate the reply.

Got Walleye???
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/08 21:01:46 (permalink)
I was there today, no perch for me. It is still pea soup. My temp gauge wasn’t working, but would guess the highs near 80 are likely keeping the temp in the mid 60s. I think we need more in the 50s. 14 day forecast should have things in better shape.

I think you are right about the spring, but the lake got hammered during the Covid restrictions. Outdoors and able to stay away from crowds. There were literally boat loads of people fishing ever time I was out, especially last year and into this spring. Today seemed like a typical fall Friday for boats, except it felt much more like early September than October weather wise.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/12 08:20:55 (permalink)
TheBlueLagoon
Anyone having any luck on the perch up Arthur? haven't had a chance to get out yet, but October has been great in the past. Can't wait to wade the weed lines for some jumbos!

We caught four last Sunday to the left of the McDanels Boat Launch in about 8 FOW. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/12 12:08:29 (permalink)
yikes guys, sounds like the bite is not quite on yet. I have younger kids, seems like always something, haven't been able to make it up there yet. Guess its for the better. I think Porktown is right, need some cooler weather to get things moving. 

Got Walleye???
KJN
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/13 12:36:30 (permalink)
What's you guys go to set up for perch.  Live bait?  Minnow or crawlers?
or is it soft plastic?
 I seem to get best action on crawlers / worms.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/13 13:40:27 (permalink)
It is good to have all.  If biting on plastics, I prefer.  Mainly because I am lazy and don't want to keep putting on new bait.  If they are interested in worms instead, I am just fine.  Unfortunately, when the water gets colder and the temps follow, they seem to want minnows 75% of the time in my experience.  You can dress nice and toasty, then put your hands in cold water and it all goes away...  I have done well with some baby bluegill flies that I have tied up as well.  It seems they are in the weeds chasing them around along with I'm sure other baitfish.  I have read there are invertebrates and other organisms that they eat in there too. 
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/14 10:05:36 (permalink)
We were using fatheads on 1/16th jig heads, that's pretty much the only thing I have luck with on that lake. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2143
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/14 11:23:57 (permalink)
I spent the whole day at Moraine yesterday on the toon. One bluegill and one catfish. I fished plastis and threw lures. I didn't mark much on the fishfinder in the spots I fished. I saw 2 eagles eating a fish on a downed tree and a flock of turkeys. Weather was windy and overcast till about an hour before dark.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/14 12:17:18 (permalink)
I want to fish this weekend, but I have a feeling I'd be posting a similar report to Rippinlip.  If that one cat was a guarantee, it might be enough...  Next week forecast is saying 70s after the weekend cool down.  I have a feeling we may skip fall this year.  If I am shoveling snow before I have a fish fry, I am not going to be happy.
rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/14 15:34:45 (permalink)
I couldn't locate fish in the usual spots. My guess they are in transition or the lake is fixing to turnover. The only place I didnt try was shallow bays. Seen a lot of baitfish in those areas but they were super small ....like fathead size. Just born? I dunno but there were a lot.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/14 16:55:55 (permalink)
Was the water still pea green when you were out?
rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/14 19:55:26 (permalink)
Not really. In fact I haven
't seen it that clean looking in a while. The clarity was such that I could see a a Rapala while retreiving it. I'm not giving up on the lake for the year yet. If you are there when they put the feedbag on for Winter it is great fishing.

pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/15 07:20:27 (permalink)
With temps FINALLY taking a little slid, I'd say she should square away within the end of next week. Guess it'll be time for me to get that boat rigged for local fishing. Enjoy and stay safe out there.
TheBlueLagoon
Expert Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/15 12:32:00 (permalink)
KJN
or is it soft plastic?

As Porktown said it's good to have all. I have great success on a quarter pinched crawler on a trout magnet jig head under a float. As said, sometimes they just want minnows. Problem is I usually start my day long before the bait shops open, it's a pain in the****to pack up and leave to go get bait, but I will do it if everything else isn't working. I also use the 1" gulp alive minnow on a trout magnet jig head with good success. I keep 3 colors, the emerald, chartruese and smelt. The 2" gulp is also fantastic but I have trouble finding them. It should start soon, I can't wait to get out and wade around. 

Got Walleye???
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/15 13:30:29 (permalink)
I buy 5-6 doz minnows and keep them in my garage in a larger tupperware bin.  They stay pretty well when the temps get cooler.  I run an aquarium filter and aerator and feed them goldfish food.  My kids get a kick out of feeding them and have had years where they'll want to put a few in an aquarium.  I had a stickleback in one of my minnow orders.  Pulled him out and put in the aquarium.  Lasted over a year!  RIP Spike.
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1909
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/15 14:03:15 (permalink)
TheBlueLagoon
KJN
or is it soft plastic?

As Porktown said it's good to have all. I have great success on a quarter pinched crawler on a trout magnet jig head under a float. As said, sometimes they just want minnows. Problem is I usually start my day long before the bait shops open, it's a pain in the****to pack up and leave to go get bait, but I will do it if everything else isn't working. I also use the 1" gulp alive minnow on a trout magnet jig head with good success. I keep 3 colors, the emerald, chartruese and smelt. The 2" gulp is also fantastic but I have trouble finding them. It should start soon, I can't wait to get out and wade around. 

Do you have trouble with small bluegill constantly smacking those 1/2 crawlers? I always have problem when I use night crawlers at Arthur.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/15 15:53:50 (permalink)
If there is a gill within 20 yards of a chunk of nightcrawler hitting the water, they will find it...  I have had some really good (limited bluegill) days with crawler chunks.  My largest largemouth out of Arthur was on that chunk of crawler threaded on a 1/32 jighead combo, sort of like a trout magnet head.  It isn't consistent for me, but if they are just sucking on the minnows and not eating them and taking your bobber under, a crawler chunk is usually a good option.  They seem to not mess around like that with the crawler.  Either eat it or don't pay attention to it.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/15 20:09:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rippinlip 2021/10/16 12:57:19
rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/16 13:02:36 (permalink)
crappiefisher
Public Auction Sale: RONALD L. ANDERSON ABSOLUTE ESTATE AUCTION - PROSPECT, PA (auctionzip.com)

Chris, it's too late. Timmy bought the whole shebang.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/16 13:33:53 (permalink)
rippinlip

I heard that he wants to break down everything and store it in your house too!

So, is it down to O’Donnell’s only at the lake?

Whoever bought Rogers Rifle and Rod got one heck of a deal. Excellent location, two houses a nice storage building and a bunch of land. The price was much lower than I thought it would be. There are some really nice houses in that area.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/16 16:16:14 (permalink)
 Few days ago on way up to Pymy to work on his place he had to go to Ohio. Some guy passed away that made a lure similar to a Lazy Ike. Tim bought all his inventory plus 20,000 beer bobbers. Later that evening he bought a truck load of new Rapalas & Mepps spinners. Another guy passed away from Ellwood City that made Musky lures not long ago and he bought his inventory up also.  Another guy passed away in Ohio that Made the Rattle SNAKIE lures (OHIO STATE Record Smallmouth) caught on a Snakie spoon so he bought everything involved with that outfit a few months ago.

His place near Wilson Launch is zoned for business and has 2 garages but online sales is the way to go these days. 

He called me yesterday and said he just bought another boat with a Merc. 20 h.p. (only a couple hrs. on it) and a bunch of extras included with the sale. Told him it ain't going to my place in Slippery Rock. Well old lady called me and said "it's in the front yard"   And is out buying more more tackle.

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2021/10/16 17:46:22
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/16 18:12:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rippinlip 2021/10/17 09:31:45
Mid 50s today with a beautiful cold rain for most of the morning till about noon. 💪👌
rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/17 09:35:51 (permalink)
Porktown
rippinlip

I heard that he wants to break down everything and store it in your house too!

So, is it down to O’Donnell’s only at the lake?

Whoever bought Rogers Rifle and Rod got one heck of a deal. Excellent location, two houses a nice storage building and a bunch of land. The price was much lower than I thought it would be. There are some really nice houses in that area.

Mike Rogers is a friend of mine. I was sad when they closed. He was only a few minutes from my house and on the way to the launch. We're running out of places to get minnies. I usually just settle for crawlers which can be bought everywhere and Gulp. I need to start seining again. Sucker minnies are King at Pymie anyways.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/20 00:51:56 (permalink)
 Tim took the boat out this arthurnoon with his girlfriend. He calls me a hr. or so later and wants me to bring them a large net as quick as possible. I said "ain't happenin' " He replied " I'll give your brother a call and ask him then" 

crappy
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/21 08:29:16 (permalink)
Still pea soup.  Water temp ranged from 63-65.  As of Wednesday, I don't think the lake has mixed yet.  I think about 3 weeks behind schedule.  Fish were nowhere to be found in my normal fall locations.  At least the willing ones.  Did see a musky or pike jump fully out of the water chasing a baitfish.  Rarely do I see the whole jump in action, more hear then turn or see out of the corner of my eye.  Also saw a bald eagle and a flock of turkeys going to the water for a drink.  All and all, a nice day to not be working.  A few gills and a 12" or so largemouth self released as I was pulling him over the gunwale.  My father in law got a few gills, small perch and tiny largemouth.  Other than that, slow.  72 next Wednesday.  It is going to go from summer to winter.
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1909
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/21 09:11:07 (permalink)
How was the wind?

I’m gonna try to get out there next week are think.
rippinlip
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/21 10:41:20 (permalink)
crappiefisher
 Tim took the boat out this arthurnoon with his girlfriend. He calls me a hr. or so later and wants me to bring them a large net as quick as possible. I said "ain't happenin' " He replied " I'll give your brother a call and ask him then" 

crappy

He should have called my cell. I was there on my Toon.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Arthur (Perchtober) 2021/10/21 10:57:37 (permalink)
MyWar
How was the wind?

I’m gonna try to get out there next week are think.

Typical Arthur.  When you wanted it for a drift, it wasn't there or completely changes direction when you position yourself to drift over structure...  When we had motor issues, it really started ripping like heck...  Once we fixed, it calmed down.  Today is supposed to really howl if the t-storms ever happen.  It looks like the brunt of that storm is up in Canada though.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: