Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 40 of 56
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/03 20:11:20 (permalink)
Well I pulled the trigger on a cabbed tractor today. 2015 LS4046 with heat and AC . Front snow blower. Hopefully it makes my life easier, warmer and cooler

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/03 20:58:26 (permalink)
Good going! Will be a God send on many days for you. Glad you found one for yourself! 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/04 08:12:13 (permalink)
Very nice Clint. I'm so glad you got a nice tractor. I'm really hurting for one as most of my work is all manual labor and I don't know how long that will last, lol.
I started working on a new pen area for our pigs yesterday. They started causing damage against the garage so it was time to move. 3 little pigs arrive next weekend.
I had to move the stall the old fashioned way with levers and logs underneath.
The chicken pen is all set up with 20 chickens to go outside today as 50 more chicks arrive April 15th.
I'm starting to feel like a farmer as even on my days off I'm up before dawn and fall asleep by dark.
Happy Easter to All.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/08 08:42:01 (permalink)
Well, finally got my garden turned over and tilled and 3 rows of lettuce, 2 rows of spinach and a couple rows of peas in the ground.  Now, we need some rain...already pretty dry around here.  Overseeded the yard too and it will go to waste if we don't get something soon.  

Re: the egg chickens, my old co-worker only had 5 or 6 and he was constantly peddling eggs at work.  He lived in the south hills...I would have bought more if he wouldn't have wanted $5 a dozen.  I could get them from the farm by the house for $3 a dozen at the time.....I think he turned some of them into "meat" chickens eventually, much to the dismay of his wife and daughter.

I can say, I would much rather eat a free range farm fresh egg than anything bought from a store cooler....tastes SOOOO much better.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/08 09:46:20 (permalink)
That's great about the garden eyes. I've been so busy haven't had time to work the garden yet except starting my tomatoes indoors.
We finished our 7 foot high 300 feet long fence last week and I'm feverishly working on the new pig pen as they arrive on Sunday.
The 4 week old first batch of chickens are happily grazing outside and second batch of 50 chicks come next Wednesday.
Pulled the boat out but haven't even thought about working on that yet.
At least the daylight hours are getting longer 😀.

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/08 10:12:02 (permalink)
Wish I had the space you had...but truth be told, my mini-garden keeps me busy enough....
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/08 11:34:43 (permalink)
I just raked and put the weed guard down. I bought a roll of 6mil plastic. Started bringing the plants out for some natural sun for a few hours a day. Most of the lettuce and herbs are popping in the raised bed. This weather has me really squirrely, but I know we will get another blast of semi-cold if not down right cold one more time.

On a another note.... I've got some yellowing on my tomatoes. Majority are the bottom leaves. I've been picking them off. Is that a watering issue? Too much too soon? I got some Miracle-Gro. I'm will use that mix (half strength) from now until it's time to get em in the ground.

Everything looks good there HT.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/08 12:06:49 (permalink)
I turned over my garden last weekend and have stuff started. Fence is done and cows will go out next week I think. Manure is spread, chicken coop cleaned. Starting to ramp up

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3098
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/08 13:24:28 (permalink)
eyesandgillz
Well, finally got my garden turned over and tilled and 3 rows of lettuce, 2 rows of spinach and a couple rows of peas in the ground.  Now, we need some rain...already pretty dry around here.  Overseeded the yard too and it will go to waste if we don't get something soon.  

Re: the egg chickens, my old co-worker only had 5 or 6 and he was constantly peddling eggs at work.  He lived in the south hills...I would have bought more if he wouldn't have wanted $5 a dozen.  I could get them from the farm by the house for $3 a dozen at the time.....I think he turned some of them into "meat" chickens eventually, much to the dismay of his wife and daughter.

I can say, I would much rather eat a free range farm fresh egg than anything bought from a store cooler....tastes SOOOO much better.

Those yinzers prices are steep. $1.50-2.00 for dozen of eggs here in Venango.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/08 14:16:22 (permalink)
Store bought run of the mill eggs are typically about $2.50-3.00 a dozen here in a grocery store .
Farm raised free range are usually about $4.00 a dozen in a farm market store .
Most roadside stands sell them about $3.50.
For the amount we eat, a dozen a week, it's no big deal for us to buy farm raised because yes, they are much better.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/08 20:53:50 (permalink)
Pensfan.
As for yellowing on tomatoes.
I only water when it gets dry, not daily. I also water from the pan, not direct to the pots. It helps roots forming down and out.
To much water makes them susceptible to being weak as starters.
I personally don't use chemicals like miracle grow but it might help if its not an over water issue.
My plants are at least 3 weeks behind and usually 3 times as tall but I think they'll be fine to put in the ground in a month after our last threat of frost without covering.
post edited by hot tuna - 2021/04/08 20:55:57

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/09 15:53:38 (permalink)
pensfan1
I just raked and put the weed guard down. I bought a roll of 6mil plastic. Started bringing the plants out for some natural sun for a few hours a day. Most of the lettuce and herbs are popping in the raised bed. This weather has me really squirrely, but I know we will get another blast of semi-cold if not down right cold one more time.

On a another note.... I've got some yellowing on my tomatoes. Majority are the bottom leaves. I've been picking them off. Is that a watering issue? Too much too soon? I got some Miracle-Gro. I'm will use that mix (half strength) from now until it's time to get em in the ground.

Everything looks good there HT.

I'll be making some of this stuff by the quart this spring/early summer to water with....
might be helpful for your seedlings...esp. if you highly dilute it, maybe 1:5 with filtered water (fridge or if you installed one of those RV filters on your outside hose).  I didn't put mine on yet due to possible frost/freeze still.  Don't use straight city tap water...your plants will thank you!  

https://www.growveg.com/g...th%20an%20old%20towel.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/11 07:38:05 (permalink)
I use rain barrels mostly but if using town water , I did put a carbon filter on the hose.
3 little pigs are here now and the boat started right up with no issues.
Yesterday was very productive.

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/11 10:21:19 (permalink)
Mmmm....mmmmmm.....future bacon and smoked potk ......
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/11 22:02:58 (permalink)
I wish I had the energy I had 5 yrs ago. Things that used to take an hour take 2 now and then I am spent. I prioritize what needs to get done and other things get half done or put off until they enter the need list. I look back over the last few years and realized that not venturing out of the LFZ as much was the start of not feeling well as I could not walk as far. I will keep chugging on and do what makes me happy.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/12 19:17:20 (permalink)
Clint, that sucks and I hope you the best at getting healthy.
Your a young man and its difficult to hear of the struggles. I struggle with age even though I'm young at heart.
As far as spring in the air , things seem to be getting better everyday.
The normalcy of being abnormal is fading daily around these parts, no matter the guidance or mandates. We've all been through a lot and nobody is going back, only moving forward.
post edited by hot tuna - 2021/04/12 19:18:30

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/14 21:00:57 (permalink)
Here chickie, chickie.
50 more little broilers arrived safe and sound today. The other 20 are getting closer to the freezer.
Played with the garden, pool and boat today.
post edited by hot tuna - 2021/04/14 21:01:58

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/18 18:53:07 (permalink)
Got slot of stuff prepped, cows are out and good thing we were down to our last bale. LOL.
On a side note we lost our 10 yrs old Rottie on Jan 1 and pulled the trigger on a new dog yesterday. We opted for a rescue and not a pure breed this time. He is from a Texas kill shelter . He looks to be Lab, cattle dog and pit mix. Weird going from a 140# dog to a 60 # one. We have always had big dogs. He is settling in well and gets along with the cat and chickens well enough, but does not like the cows at all.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/18 20:28:44 (permalink)
Clint, the seasons keep churning. A lot of things got done on the farm and garden aspect here , tons more to do. A working man's job never ends.
Pets :
I've had many throughout my life, good friends indeed. The hardest part is losing them quicker than humans.
Enjoy the new friendship.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/20 13:41:11 (permalink)
Congrats on the new pet....and sorry for your loss on the other...

Peas, lettuce and half my spinach up.   I need to replant half.....I plant just enough to mix in with salads and stuff in a large planter by the pool and last week, a momma rabbit decided to try and make a nest in half of it and dug out half the dirt.  Well, at least the staggered planting will provide some extended harvest until I throw any overflow maters or peppers in the pot....

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/27 19:56:49 (permalink)
I planted some seeds today. Beets, carrots and peas. Have all my plants out on the deck and they are lovin all the sun. Getting sturdy and very green. I'm thinking I might stick em in the ground in about a week, when I plant all the hill stuff. ( cukes, pickles and such). Enjoy the weather fellas.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/28 18:14:00 (permalink)
That's awesome pensfan. I've really struggled with getting the garden together now that the boat is floating. My indoor tomatoes are huge and I picked up some brussel sprouts and cabbage plants that should be in the ground now.
My first batch of 20 chickens are ready for slaughter and the other 50 chicks are ready to go outside.
Time is not on my side right now.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/29 10:47:27 (permalink)
I am gun shy about planting anything that is not frost tolerant yet.....I remember having to cover dozens of maters and peppers on memorial weekend several years back and boy that was a pain....and several still got heavy frost damage.  

My kids' plantings are doing well....we have starting transplanting them out of the egg carton with starter packs into bigger pots with potting soil.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/29 10:57:18 (permalink)
Yeah, I'm not looking to put tomatoes outside until may 10th. Cabbage and sprouts are fine but my garden boxes were moved and don't even have dirt yet

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/30 19:15:32 (permalink)
Got my second dose morderna this morning. I feel like crap and didn't do much around the house .
First batch of chickens hit the freezer on Tuesday. The batch of 50 leave the brooder on Wednesday.

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2021/04/30 19:21:14 (permalink)
There's some nice wings there. I havent raised meat birds the past few years because we have been good for chicken meat with the barnyard mix cockerels and old hens. I do miss having those feet and meaty necks for broth though. We can a lot of broth and seems like we never have enough. Cant beat it for base of chicken soups, french onion soup and for pork in the pressure cooker. All the flavor and none of the sodium that store bought stuff has.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2021/05/01 13:16:08 (permalink)
hot tuna
Got my second dose morderna this morning. I feel like crap and didn't do much around the house .
First batch of chickens hit the freezer on Tuesday. The batch of 50 leave the brooder on Wednesday.

I got my second dose phizer on thursday,sore arm and slept like a rock.Feel good today.Have n't done any gardening or much fishing.
post edited by pafisher - 2021/05/01 13:18:36
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/05/01 13:24:03 (permalink)
Shots in arms fellas...great job and good luck.

Looking down the extended, it appears that these cold nights are over. I'm getting tired of babysitting these plants. Can't wait until I gettem to ground. We are supposed to start clearing these trees out for the garage build. Guess I'm putting in a chicken coup also. Ugh..... 🙄😔😆
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/05/04 20:29:03 (permalink)
Way to busy to have fun. Hopefully tomorrow we get a fish on the line.

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2021/05/06 08:44:22 (permalink)
pensfan1
Shots in arms fellas...great job and good luck.

Looking down the extended, it appears that these cold nights are over. I'm getting tired of babysitting these plants. Can't wait until I gettem to ground. We are supposed to start clearing these trees out for the garage build. Guess I'm putting in a chicken coup also. Ugh..... 🙄😔😆

Had a light frost here in 15642 last night....mostly roofs.....and my pool cover reel......but still....
Brought hanging baskets in.  
Seedlings inside are becoming a pain, as you state, but still don't want to get them out there....may still be frosty nights ahead.
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 40 of 56
Jump to: