What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fallschirmjaeger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 145
  • Reward points: 0
2021/03/08 20:32:01 (permalink)

What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!!

Word on the street is that Woodcock is completely drained.  Is that true?  How on earth did that happen???

54 Replies Related Threads

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1664
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/08 21:52:25 (permalink)

Probably still at low winter pool,  It had water in it 2 weeks ago  when I drove by. Guys were ice fishing 

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3335
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 01:00:45 (permalink)
       Fish in the crick below dam have many swimming in puddles lol. Good lure hunting time and snagGers be on the prowl. Coon, Fox & Birds ov Prey are gonna fatten up. Egg Sac would be in his glory! 60% chance ov rain in the area coming Thursday then not 'till the 15th with next decent chance if the weather channel is correct.

crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2021/03/09 02:03:18
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 05:13:07 (permalink)
    Is this a normal practice on woodcock? If not, how did this happen?
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 08:47:35 (permalink)
    https://www.erienewsnow.c...k-lake-suddenly-drains
    post edited by eyesandgillz - 2021/03/09 08:54:11

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 08:55:47 (permalink)
    Did they increase discharge to keep up with the recent melt off and rains and then something get stuck or the gage go bad....keeping the discharge too high too long?

Do they control this stuff remotely or does someone from the Corp need to go there and adjust things manually?
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 09:05:14 (permalink)
    Yeah, the corp effed up.
    https://www.facebook.com/WoodcockCreekLake/

now, most of the fish are gone...I would hope whoever is responsible for not "looking out the window" would get fired over something like this....
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 11:22:50 (permalink)
    crappiefisher
       Fish in the crick below dam have many swimming in puddles lol. Good lure hunting time and snagGers be on the prowl. Coon, Fox & Birds ov Prey are gonna fatten up. Egg Sac would be in his glory! 60% chance ov rain in the area coming Thursday then not 'till the 15th with next decent chance if the weather channel is correct.

crappy

The creek is supposed to be closed it is approved trout waters.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 11:39:46 (permalink)
     Yeah that's good the mammals and birds need fed more than most fishers. The Eaglets should do well also. Nice Mother Nature won't let some go to fertilizer.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 11:42:49 (permalink)
    Hey maybe the smart fish swam up or down into the waters deeper spots.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 11:51:06 (permalink)
     Yes a good bit did and and many are grounded. With only a 50/50 % chance ov rain on Thursday then dry 'till the 15th (WC) ain't gonna help much.

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1664
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/09 17:51:47 (permalink)
    Eyes, The corp must have taken down whatever you were trying to show us

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/10 01:18:00 (permalink)
     "What ever happens on the mile stays on the mile."  Didn't want to post the scene that would be just wrong.

Least there was still ice left to melt helping refill a little faster. Guess they were getting false readings "gauge froze" and when finally informed ov the problem too late (ice cover) or somethin' like that from their report. Gate is closed to a min. flow and refilling. Hope they have enough springs and brooks feedin' the crick (good time of year) and have a nice all day/night rain this Thursday 'cause supposed to be dry after that until the 16th now.
      If that tree and brush wasn't there looks like Mars. French Creek is gonna be a hot spot this season.
    crappy
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2021/03/10 03:17:29
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/10 08:00:08 (permalink)
    FC, I guess I should have screen shot it....there were posts on their facebook page ripping the Corps ineptness, after they admitted in a post the gage froze and no one managed to actually take a look at the lake.....no bad language or anything...but I guess in the "spirit of transparency", they decided to remove all the posts and I guess any new ones about it will likely receive the same treatment.

solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/10 11:17:18 (permalink)
    I should’ve grab my muskie rod and big lures today and made a trip up. 50in musky in a little puddle what a fun fight. Lol. Sad to see this happen.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/10 11:50:29 (permalink)
      The Corps reported the fish all got washed into French Crick. With the videos of the flow ov the crick while this was going on would seem likely. But was told in the past by Fish commission officers that is far from the truth and the fish get out of the current and take cover and don't move very far. Videos ov the crick after the drain would show the Fish Commission is more in line what the fish do in a situation like this. A steady very shallow flow in crick is happening. Noticed this many times fishin' small mountain brooks and streams for natives. Fish would congregate out of the current into bogs. Same as in creeks entering the Allegheny River after a high water event there would be Catfish and Carp stranded in puddles when the water flow would drop fast.

crappy  
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2021/03/10 12:13:34
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/10 15:54:02 (permalink)
    They messed up and its a dang shame...hope someone gets fired over it if this was done on private land there would be heavy fines.This is what happens when government controls things...WCW
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/10 21:42:24 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/11 07:32:22 (permalink)
    Total incompetence by the individuals running that dam ! Seems this has happened in the past but not as bad . What a waste of good yearly stockings and money by the PFBC . A fishing disaster for local outdoor people and local businesses. Welcome to the Dead Sea of Crawford county !    
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/11 07:54:19 (permalink)
    Yeah, they are going to need one heck of a restocking program to get that back to even close to where it was....I wonder how many fish were "saved" exiting into the creek vs. stranded high and dry in the lake bed?  

Locals should be out there sinking some tree tops in the mud in key locations and pin-dropping the gps coords. for future crappie excursions...

The Corps is still actively scrubbing their Woodcock Lake facebook page of any negative posts or even posts asking legit questions about what happened.  Such "transparency!"
    post edited by eyesandgillz - 2021/03/11 07:58:44
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/11 08:37:24 (permalink)
     Many were left high and flopping in the creek. They sorta acted like it's no big deal and the gate was closed to a minable flow and refilling fine. Saying all the fish ended up in French creek is just wrong. Said they will improve the on the winter water tracking in the future. 
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2021/03/11 11:56:27
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/11 10:23:33 (permalink)
    Hope these guys never work at Shenango Lake ! 
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/11 11:02:32 (permalink)
     Lol, I could see that now! After what you went through with the no Walleye stocking below the dam. Do you golf, bowl, play ping pong, horseshoes??? Maybe start knitting!! That too funny 
    fallschirmjaeger
    Avid Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/11 13:09:19 (permalink)
    eyesandgillz
    Yeah, they are going to need one heck of a restocking program to get that back to even close to where it was....I wonder how many fish were "saved" exiting into the creek vs. stranded high and dry in the lake bed?  

Locals should be out there sinking some tree tops in the mud in key locations and pin-dropping the gps coords. for future crappie excursions...

The Corps is still actively scrubbing their Woodcock Lake facebook page of any negative posts or even posts asking legit questions about what happened.  Such "transparency!"

I think that facebook page says something about not being owned by the actual Army Corps of Engineers. I think someone local just created it to promote the park. Probably why they're taking down the posts.

Anyways, this should be a law suit. Due to negligence, they took a resource away from fishermen who paid for the fish in that lake with their license fees. That is just not right. They need to make it right...and making the PFBC spend more of our license funds and derail fish stockings from other lakes to recover this one is the wrong answer. Army Corps of Engineers needs to pay for this to get fixed and fixed asap.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/12 10:23:42 (permalink)
    Yea Crappy, I can get a tad mad when it comes to taking low blows to fishing opportunities being stripped away or lost...as you know. Don't get me started again on Shenango river......lol 

By the way I use to have other hobbies , hunting , taxidermy , spray paint artist , baseball coach , and 42 years of working , well that's no hobby ....... but fishing is the top dog ! At 68 years old I can still catch the big ones .....sometimes .        
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/12 10:37:25 (permalink)
    You would think the fish comm would be there rescuing those fish and throwing them in their trucks and at least move the them. They put thousands and thousands of our dollars into the fish and then they don’t even care about their precious fish. If this would have been summer a lot would have died.
    post edited by solitario lupo - 2021/03/12 10:38:42
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/12 13:00:56 (permalink)
    solitario lupo
    You would think the fish comm would be there rescuing those fish and throwing them in their trucks and at least move the them. They put thousands and thousands of our dollars into the fish and then they don’t even care about their precious fish. If this would have been summer a lot would have died.

On paper that sounds like a good idea, but in reality I do not know how that would look. 40 degree water with people running electroshock wands and nets? The creek isn't big enough for a boat, so its people in the water. I see safety concerns there.  

Woodcock creek is around 3 miles long, then it confluences with french creek. How long ago did the fish leave the lake? 2 weeks ago? 4 days ago? Are most fish in French by now? Are the fish stacked in a hole deep on private land?

Say they catch some fish, most local lakes are still frozen. So they cut a big hole in the ice to release double stressed fish? 

How many fish would they need to capture to not catch flak from the bystanders saying the FC are wasting resources?

Ultimately the fish never really left the water, yes some got trapped in shallow holes when the AC closed the gate, but that was only for a short time.

The  "precious" fish will eventually filter their way into bigger water, life finds a way.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/12 13:51:15 (permalink)
    Really sticking up for the people who rob you blind in paying for those fish and then not caring about the fish. Lol.
    Who said anything about electroshock and going into the creek.
    Why would they take them to a frozen lake are we not human beings who can think. There’s plenty of open water.
    Not trying to start nothing but I think my last post went right over your head. Hey it happens to me to haha.
    post edited by solitario lupo - 2021/03/12 14:02:37
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/12 14:19:13 (permalink)
    solitario lupo
    Really sticking up for the people who rob you blind in paying for those fish and then not caring about the fish. Lol.
    Who said anything about electroshock and going into the creek.
    Why would they take them to a frozen lake are we not human beings who can think. There’s plenty of open water.
    Not trying to start nothing but I think my last post went right over your head. Hey it happens to me to haha.

Whats the best way to catch the fish?

Where would you take the fish? Would you take them from a river to put back in the river only down stream? Or are you thinking of trucking the fish hours away to open water?

Lets hear your plan, please dim it down for my sake since your backhanded vague comments are way above my head. 
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: What On Earth Are They Doing To Woodcock??!! 2021/03/12 15:41:40 (permalink)
      Not to get involved one way or the other what they could have done with stranded fish but saying no open water was near by doesn't fly. French creek, Connie Lake is wide open and north of the causeway at Pymy is mostly all open water. It is what it is, poop happens.

crappy  
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: