YouTube channels and TMI

Author
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
  • Reward points: 0
2021/02/24 15:10:46 (permalink)

YouTube channels and TMI

With all the vids out there, what are everyone's thoughts on specific locations being given? I know most channels I've subscribe to, barely tell you what state they are in let alone what body of water.. For example, hypothetically ofcourse. Let's say there is a channel dedicated to fishing a tiny lake that borders Lawrence Co. Said hypothetical channel is also dedicated to "crushin crappies" and is "hosted" by a guy, let's call him Big Haze. Is it ok/not ok to disclose specific location? Mind you, this isn't some exspansive body of water. Guess I'm taking straw-poll and wanted to know where people stood on the topic.

24 Replies Related Threads

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/02/24 15:50:14 (permalink)
    Excellent question!

I think it might increase traffic, at least for a short period of time.

But I would not be concerned with people being on an exact spot using the exact bait/lure in the correct manner.

What I base this on is purely anecdotal, but was consistent.

Back in the day G, when I fished bass tournaments and worked in the retail fishing/boating industry, if asked by those that came into the store how I (or we if it were a buddy tournament) did, I would tell them (we competed in federation events, local tournaments, and ran on the “beer can” circuit to the point of going to the “beer can” classic every year it was held and finishing in the top 10 in the standings most years). If they asked “on what,” I would tell them. If they asked what technique, I would tell them. If they asked where, I would tell them.

In the 20 years I competitively fished, only once did I see anyone at a location I gave them and they were fishing with something completely different and using it incorrectly.

Now, obviously, YouTube reaches a vastly wider audience, but I’m not real sure the results would be any different — maybe some go there, maybe some use the right thing (just because it worked one day does mean it will another), and maybe they use it correctly, but if they need YouTube to figure it out, you be the judge on how good they really are.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/02/24 18:15:59 (permalink)
    Vague but helpful is my vote. I have no issues showing techniques/lures/bait that work. Or someone giving a vague report on a lake. Videos crushing fish on any PA lake, besides Erie and naming the lake is just asking for that lake to get pounded. Likely making your reliable technique a little less reliable when others catch and keep the fish that were favorable to that technique.
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/02/25 08:38:39 (permalink)
    You two both make good points. I tend to agree with Tim alittle more though. If you want to have a channel full of videos catching fish, so be it. Show techniques, bait choice, whatever. When you start to give locations then that's where I draw the line, especially on smaller bodies of water that can't take the pressure of major "advertisement". Just my opinion. I hope more will voice theirs.
    snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/02/25 11:18:46 (permalink)
    i've seen some stuff on social media that has a very uncanny resemblance to the hypothetical situation you describe.  the ice fishing videos don't seem too detailed, but the open water ones don't leave much to try to figure out.  

not gonna lie, there are times when i've tried fishing somewhere new that came from somebody giving t.m.i. on the innerwebs.  or have used little clues to try to figure out where they were.  or a place i fish often, will adjust to what i see.  that person's t.m.i. increased angler pressure by at least 1, and often 3 since my boys are usually with me.  some of the social media pages for steelhead fishing are just ridiculous in that regard, and i have no doubt they increase angling pressure in general based on the number of posts that begin with, "i've never fished for steelhead before," and the number of, "where should i go and what should i use," posts from people that have fished for steelhead before.  and those who fish for steelhead know that increased angling pressure is not a good thing for private property open to public fishing.  

i follow a couple pages on facebook for fishing the gulf coast in mississippi and louisiana.  one page's policies for posting reports require locations and tactics to be given, but 99% of those reports are guys fishing from boats in the vast marshes of those states.  reports are removed for not containing enough information sometimes.  the owner of that page also runs a for-profit type online "club" where he shares very detailed info on where and how.  really, really knowledgable guy and always catches a ton of speckled trout and reds in all conditions, but maybe he figures nobody else is as good as he is.  

a couple other pages for the same area don't have those policies, but shore fishermen there especially give t.m.i. and expect others to do the same. couple summers ago, we had a couple of great fishing days in that area wade fishing the beach and i posted some pics.  got several, "where were you," questions and had people that got mad at me when the extent of my info was, "wading the beach between town x and town y," for not being more specific.  i dunno, i kind of liked it that my sons and i were the only three fishermen i could see in the whole stretch of beach we were on.  

saltwater is obviously a vastly different resource than your hypothetical.  if i was great at fishing that hypothetical body of water - i'm not, since i don't have a boat (but even if i did, not sure that would change much) - and somebody was posting t.m.i. for the masses on a spot and bite i had dialed in, i'd be a little peeved about it.  i have a few spots and bites there that i've figured out a little bit over the years, and when i see t.m.i. from those spots and bites, i cringe a little bit because i know there will be more competition there.  

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/02/25 11:22:45 (permalink)
    If I had a youtube channel id just show techiques an baits at common well know places everyone an there uncle already fish over. Save your best spots/places for yourself lol

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/02/25 21:34:36 (permalink)
    snagr
    i've seen some stuff on social media that has a very uncanny resemblance to the hypothetical situation you describe.  the ice fishing videos don't seem too detailed, but the open water ones don't leave much to try to figure out.  

if i was great at fishing that hypothetical body of water - i'm not, since i don't have a boat (but even if i did, not sure that would change much) - and somebody was posting t.m.i. for the masses on a spot and bite i had dialed in, i'd be a little peeved about it.  i have a few spots and bites there that i've figured out a little bit over the years, and when i see t.m.i. from those spots and bites, i cringe a little bit because i know there will be more competition there.  

That's what makes me wonder why some mup'ere insists on burning said hypothetical lake to the masses. I mean a channel strictly dedicated to 1 body of water and 1 specific species is a little bit much, especially some tiny hole in the wall lake, don't you think? SmH.....
    post edited by pensfan1 - 2021/02/25 22:50:29
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/02/26 07:58:00 (permalink)
    I'll say first hard iv spot burned people just from pics weather it be a rock or log if a local area I know we'll it's not hard to tell. I watch youtube for the content not really tips as far as fishing goes

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    snagr
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/02/26 09:29:07 (permalink)
    pensfan1

That's what makes me wonder why some mup'ere insists on burning said hypothetical lake to the masses. I mean a channel strictly dedicated to 1 body of water and 1 specific species is a little bit much, especially some tiny hole in the wall lake, don't you think? SmH.....

for sure.

i don't know how money making on youtube works exactly, but maybe he's trying to make a few bucks.  or feed an ego to be seen as a local expert.  or both.  

i think that hypothetical figure could also use a hypothetical ruler and a hypothetical scale based on some of the claims he makes about some of the hypothetical fish he catches.  

workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/05 10:42:17 (permalink)
    Yeah there is TMI in a lot of utube vids...its the new way to spot burn.
    I am all for helping people but I usually help others in PMs not broadcast spots to 1000s in FB groups.
    Helped a guy last spring in PM the following week he was hashtagging and making utube vids sharing info I gave him some people will do anything for a few likes a celebrity FB status beware...WCW

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/05 20:06:39 (permalink)
    I thought for sure that "Big Haze" would be a member on here, or atleast a luker. I'm disappointed. I wanted to hear an explanation.

Moral of the story, appears the consensus is there is no good reason to have specific locations included on a channel. I kinda thought I was being too harsh, not that that hasn't ever happened before 🙄😁.
    FishSandwich
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/08 21:36:24 (permalink)
    There is no way "Big Haze" isnt a lurker on here. Hell i am surprised he hasn't shared his channel here as a source of more likes and more gold stars or whatever he gets from his online fans. I don't get any of it. It just doesn't make sense. The guy has stickers blasted all over his truck and you can follow his tracks right to him in the snow. It just doesn't make any sense. The internet can be a great tool to share information in both good and bad ways. Unfortunately as in the example of the erie steelhead pages keyboarding weekend warriors will exploit any shred of information they can get downwind of and then people wonder why their favorite spot is elbow to elbow. 
    On one hand I hope all of his attempts at local lake internet fandom sputter out soon, and or i hope it comes to bite him in the behind before it affects the fishery 
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/10 16:01:15 (permalink)
    DarDys facebook is full of spoon feed people and no one works anymore trust me you underestimate how many people flock to these spots...I gladly help a handful of guys I meet thru facebook and actually have a few I fish with regularly but I guard spots when I post in fishing groups most of my shared pics are just of fish no landmarks- where?- IN DA WATER...figure it out yourself...WCW
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/10 16:30:04 (permalink)
    That ship has sailed WCW.... jus say'IN
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/10 17:10:34 (permalink)
    You are correct. I have no idea how many folks use YouTube or Facebook for those purposes because I don’t use them myself for anything.

So, no need to worry about me letting the fish out of the bag on social media.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/10 17:21:07 (permalink)
    Dardys I aint worried about ya...facebook n utube can be entertaining but theres a lot of bad things bout it too.

pensfan1 a lot of things are sailing off the cliff nowadays it seems but Ill stop there...jus saYin'.

Be well everyone...WCW

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3335
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/11 09:35:05 (permalink)
     I enjoy YT more, like FB for marketplace not so much for so called friends posts. YT just has so much info be crazy not for me to use it. Simple fixes like unplug the washing machine open and close the lid 7 times and reset the board. Or if can't get sound from tv put a toothpick or finish nail in the headphone jack. Working on repairing cars/trucks, gardening tips, cooking purdy near any help you could ever think of is one there and a video is a little easier for me watching hands on than than typed directions. What ever trips your trick is on there and some people have no clue what they are doing and others are ***** Like a certain movie or history subject can't beat it plus don't have to watch on the computer screen when it is on tv.

If you like the Florida  Keys it probably has over 1,000 videos on there ranging 20 sec. -- a few hrs. 

Is this site social media or are forums classified as forums?

crappy   
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/11 10:29:46 (permalink)
     Last night watched 3 videos on YT on how to re-foam a 15" speaker. Picked the one from a pro shop that does this for a living. Very simple, just wanted to see the best method. Now instead of sending them out and stuck with that hassle and $$$ or pitching them for garbage just spent $12 for the kit (2) and have $3000 pair of speakers for just $12. Son was given all merchandise from the working mans store in Butler for helping the guy out selling the big stuff on FB. Mostly Carhart, clothing, boots, gloves, long under ware, large carved walnut panther climbing down mountain cliff and so on. Guy also gave him 33 pieces ov very high end vintage 70's--80's amps and stereo stuff this past weekend. Looked up the stuff and they sell quick when available from $500 - $5,000 each. So Marketplace on FB will work for that. Going to check some others I want for myself up on YT and see best way they preform.

post edited by crappiefisher - 2021/03/11 10:34:16
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/26 16:56:18 (permalink)
    Big Haze is at it again. 2 vids in 2 days, showing the most difficult technique of fishing a minnow 1ft below a bobber. Pulling the boat directly into a blow down. Very high on the skill level. Lmao. Oh well, whatever gets the likes I guess.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/26 17:09:11 (permalink)
     Just watched one on mounting riding mower tire to rim. Too easy and will save me the hassle of taking 8 tires & wheels to shop and buying their tires and mounting fees and no need for leaving mowers jacked up in the process.

crappy
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2143
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/27 05:18:54 (permalink)
    Youtube saves me a sh*t-ton of money. I fixed a hot tub heater and water softener that had fried computer boards and so many other things. 

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/27 08:55:13 (permalink)
    There are videos for just about any fix. Has saved me a ton of money and time too. Great tool for fishing too, but guys need to use common sense on smaller bodies of water.

When fishing saltwater, I always check it out for some tips. Get an idea of seasonal patterns and how locals do things. Usually saves me half of a week trying to figure things out. Guys are usually pretty helpful in what to look for, without giving specific locations. Thousands of miles of saltwater compared to a few miles of these inland lakes.

If this dude wouldn’t mention the lake name, not showing launches or try to position the camera where there aren’t recognizable landmarks in the background, it would be just fine.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2143
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/27 10:21:00 (permalink)
    True that.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    olds-Pa
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/28 08:35:05 (permalink)
    Well fellow fishermen, point taken here on this post. Classic example is I never knew anyone called "Big Haze" existed, so if I want to learn the hot spots, maybe I should hunt his channel up. I rarely post here, and never divulge any hotspots or how to's. If I did, i'd never see the inside of my sons boat again. However I am not above sending an ocasional PM to help someone.
    Like crappiefisher, I do check the tube for help on fixes. Case in point I fixed the stove and saved the price of a new one because the oven would not light. Igniter cost $25 vs. price of new stove. Being honest...15 minute fix was more like an hour for me, but got er done...
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    Re: YouTube channels and TMI 2021/03/29 14:38:00 (permalink)
    If you guys wanna check out some really great content channels, my top 3 are Addicted Fishing, BlacktipH and TyPig Patrol. For bonus points.. Fishing Fray is decent also. Fray is a college student that started his channel couple years ago.

Some really nice swag available for purchase too.
    post edited by pensfan1 - 2021/03/29 14:57:53
    Jump to: