Well just like that

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2020/11/03 13:30:10 (permalink)

Well just like that

Altmar has cell service. No more excuses for not getting that call or text from your wife , partner or SO .

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

25 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Well just like that 2020/11/03 21:08:01 (permalink)
    Dang it ... I don't suppose we can claim we left it locked in the truck to avoid it getting wet???  
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Well just like that 2020/11/05 05:12:10 (permalink)
    I very occasionally got service by the bridge, but could always get it in the Barrel. Had one fortuitous call after deciding to leave decent fishing in the upper to go there. We received a call my wife's sister was dying and we drove straight to eastern Mass. to be by her bedside. It was good for the family and my wife to have been there. Sometimes luck isn't about the fishing.
    Glad to see some connectivity. Now I can look at reports while standing in the river wondering why it isn't on fire like they say.....
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/22 17:06:37 (permalink)
    So this is a somber post. 3 of my high school alumni have died of covid in the past 3 weeks. 2 were class mates. All lived locally. The truly saddest part is 2 were brothers and passed away a week apart. Now one of my good friend has covid whom I hunt, fish and play with regularly. We haven't been in personal contact since late November .
    With the way things are , we've been taking all and extra precautions to protect my family and sister who's life depends on us.
    My wife gets a vaccine next week but I'm way down on the list so there is no way I'm doing anything but avoiding any public interaction, hotels, gatherings, etc , except doing my own thing on the ice

Be safe folks !!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/22 17:24:14 (permalink)
    I'm very sorry HT, very sobering is as understatement... this virus is indeed scary and a real eye opener to just how vulnerable we all are.
    I pray your family stays safe and am glad your independent lifestyle will help in that endeavor.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/22 17:42:05 (permalink)
    Thank you .

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/22 19:17:46 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that, HT. And yet I see people without masks in close proximity to others. In some instances I've called them out, but it hasn't gotten physical yet. Close, though. When this pandemic could have been contained last spring, it wasn't taken seriously by many. It took firm hold and is now mutating into a far more contagious form. In the end, we will all know someone who passed,  someone who has it, families effected by it.  It's infuriating to me  that people that wear seatbelts won't wear a mask. The ridiculous politicization  of what is a purely medical  issue was beyond the reprehensible.  This virus has a neurological component we'll pay for far down the road. Already we have children and adults who were infected  exhibiting mental lapses and other disorders. Think about it:  it takes away your sense of smell and taste. The brain controls those senses. Logically, without having to be a neurologist you can see it is bad sheet.  
        For myself, I may or may not survive getting Covid. I would like not to have to find out if I can handle cancer and it simultaneously. Be safe, remind your loved ones to do the same. Tell others to wear masks, socially distance, don't be stupid, wash your hands.  Get a vaccine when it's your turn. Not only will you save your life, it  saves others and in the end, this country.
    post edited by fichy - 2021/01/22 19:20:57
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/22 19:41:24 (permalink)
    Well fichy, in the beginning, way back last February, nobody took it seriously. I seen it coming with lack of ppe work supplies. Once the striper season on the Hudson came about in late April, even I wasn't taking it to the extreme of social distance, mask wearing unless someone was at risk from a health disorder. Aka, cancer and not visiting my compromised mother and sister.

I can honestly say from the summer to the present, 95 - 98 % of the people I see, wear a face covering and keep public distance.
    We have been 100% at our workplace rules since May.
    Do I personally think it's the cure all ? Absolutely not, nor the vaccine. Do I ever walk into a public establishment without one, no way. My fear is mask wearing is not the solution but could become the mandates of the future, example workplace and public spaces. Most won't even wear them properly so what's the real purpose.
    I have about 50 buffs and masks that I rotate, wash daily, my face and nose are raw after 9 months so far.

Be well.
    Stay positive and test negative

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/22 21:49:34 (permalink)
    Just to add. I trust nobody in this virus outbreak besides my immediate family. Our leading expert has flip flopped on masks we useless because of touching and fiddling with them would transport droplets to surfaces. We were told not to touch packages without rubber gloves. Some experts went so far as leaving groceries and packages 24-48 hours without contact.
    Now a 180 reversal, political driven and sheep following a wolf in lambs cloth.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/23 08:23:56 (permalink)
    Not my experience. Buffs aren't sufficient anyway. Tests show them to be marginal at best. If you want to turn this into an argument, fine, but get some facts straight. We're heading for over a half million dead  and your whining over people being cautious. Are you calling me a sheep?
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/23 17:47:53 (permalink)
    I know a  retired couple who pretty much have not left the confines of their house for almost a year- groceries are purchased on line and  left by the basement garage door then carefully  pulled inside and left for the 24 to 48 hours before being wiped down and  put away.
    No visitors unless in the driveway about 20 feet apart and masked but only for a very short time.
    They simply dont go out at all.
    They both are really really having a hard time with this - that said- they may be the smart ones.

At 73 I have COPD and am on Metformin daily and taking this very seriously - all scardey cat about it to somewhat of an extreme myself.
    Would do most anything for the shots and get sick and tired of the ever changing timelines for it here.

This is serious stuff and some of us believe we likely wont make it if we get the disease before we get the shot.
    Not a time for throwing stones at folks who think differently but each has to do what is best for themselves and their loved ones. 

I too wanna scream  every time I see some self centered idiot in a store with no mask- and employees who havent the onions to enforce the mask sign on the front door.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2021/01/23 19:29:13
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/23 19:29:26 (permalink)
    Not at all fichy. I got facts straight. A buff is no different than a non surgical Chinese throw away mask that everyone is wearing.
    An n95 are not feasible and readily available to public people. It's exactly what we wear per msha regulations daily for dust protection in the workplace. Try and find them for $13.00 a box of 10.
    If any mask you see that has an exhaust valve for better breathing and less fogging, its only exhaling tremendous vapor. The valve is filtered ( closes) on inhaling. Whose protected now.
    Believe me , I'm truly the sheep and try to avoid the big bad wolves

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/26 21:02:08 (permalink)
    I think we should all wear 2 masks now, because the one's that mother gives you don't do anything at all..
    Maybe just go ask Alice instead.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/27 11:30:41 (permalink)
    To coin a phrase, a mask on the face is better than two in the wash.  You can ask Alice, but she's six feet down the rabbit hole, not  ten feet tall.

post edited by fichy - 2021/01/27 13:17:01
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/27 17:55:33 (permalink)
    Sadly, again today another of those I know lost their life to the deadly virus. He was and did everything to the letter of the T but still somehow contracted it. Possible assumptions would be from visiting medical facilities. Those who we think are the sanitary of places.
    My buffs are probably the best of protection I could think as they are double layer and better fitting than a Chinese paper mask so I'm quite comfortable using them over any other of the reccomend chin straps.
    As one who works in an environment governed by the mine safety and health administration, unless there is a clean shaved tight fitting seal of a respirator ( mask) you fail the fit test of protection. I'm talking dust protection which particles are much larger than airborne vapor and water droplets.

Stay safe

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/27 21:24:23 (permalink)
    Few who go to medical facilities on a regular basis  think they are safe. What was this persons co-morbidities?   What isn't safe is people who have a limited knowledge pontificating like they are smarter than those who've spent their life studying medicine.   Conspiracy theories are rife.  I'll stay with my surgeon's mask that is approved by my doctors,  not  someone's guesses.   The density  and weave of the masks are the key, not  how many layers. Social distancing and hand washing likely has more effect right now. We may be in for a rough ride with  the new strains. Hey,  if I disappear off of here I probably died from not listening to HT!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/28 18:43:04 (permalink)
    Now it's my turn. I couldn't give a rats azz about those who studied medicine and became basically weathermen. Things have been done to the T with the best of care and medical advice.
    This picture was taken 3 days ago. It's a vastly different scenario today now with an oxygen monitor to make sure levels don't drop to the danger zone and trying to keep blood sugar levels down.
    If I disappear from this site, it's because I probably died from a broken heart.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/28 19:37:07 (permalink)
    Oh, no HT, I pray your sister is OK if that is what you were referring to in your post. 

I know that low O2 sats and high sugar levels are often things I see in infections, and not just Covid. 
    I pray that your sister and family have the strength to get through...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/29 07:44:50 (permalink)
    Thank you Fisherlady. We are aware of the possibility of infection. Both my wife and daughter are nurses. Her primary doctor gave a covid test on the suspicion. Now we wait.
    I'm heading to get tested in a few minutes

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/29 08:27:55 (permalink)
    No matter what the test results are I hope that medication and TLC get it taken care of, for the whole family's sake. It is a scary time for any illness right now....
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1668
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/29 10:04:59 (permalink)
    1st off Prayers up for you and your family HT.
    I can tell you this having had Covid the 1st few days of uncertainty on if you even have it and who you may have exposed to it is nerve wracking. Hang in there
    Mike 

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/29 12:23:03 (permalink)
    Thank you Mike. We have special circumstances with my sister in our care and believe me take every precautions we can. No matter how folks may take light of my postings.
    Being deemed an essential worker, wife and daughter nurses, son and son in law police officers and me in construction industry, its been a tough 12 months.
    I understand others are in similar situations .
    I wish everyone the best of health and hopefully we put all this sadness behind to a brighter future.
    Peace and tuna

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/29 15:35:40 (permalink)
    Spent a couple of days in the hospital a week ago and just got back from several days more-with a few more to come- at least--covid on the mind  but that isnt always IT.
    Best of diagnosis Rich, hope all is well again soon.
    Fisherlady may be on to something with her diagnosis as I went through a similar routine until they found an internal infection resulting in bout half of my 'issues'
    and likely affecting some others'
    In todays world thats kind of a  good case scenario I guess no matter what else it is.

post edited by r3g3 - 2021/01/29 18:21:07
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/30 18:28:44 (permalink)
    I trust nobody in these times, especially those calling the shots. Stay positive, test negative. Sister is negative, she's been tested twice now in 2 months. I've been 4 times, wife twice and first vaccine dose.
    Grateful for everything we have and saddened by the state of the state.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2021/01/30 18:30:15

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/30 19:11:23 (permalink)
    Thankful that you all are still negative. Though illness of any type is no fun and I personally would do everything possible to avoid hospitalization right now even if I was sick. Glad your sister has all of you watching out for her!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Well just like that 2021/01/30 19:32:22 (permalink)
    👍thanks Fisherlady. Yes we try to avoid that scenario at all costs. Since last February, we've really locked down as much as possible. This was a scary few days for us . I think the moon smiled on us as my sister talked about in her limited vocabulary,
    walking on the moon with our mom.
    Unfortunately, my daughter is first hands on. Its a sucky situation as I'm sure for many.
    Sending good vibes to all in need and in return.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2021/01/30 19:35:26

Jump to: