Author
Recman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Reward points: 0
2021/01/18 12:32:58 (permalink)

Broken Fly rods -

Hi,

I have 2 Cabela's TLR rods that are broke.

I Started back to the car one evening with a 4 piece rod and when I got to the car it was 3 pieces. I went back in day light to find the tip. When I got back to my family and told them I could not find the tip. A gentleman said he found one. Good news it was mine, bad news it is in 2 pieces.

My back up rod
I made a simple cast Friday for steelhead and the 2nd section down broke. This rod hasn't seen much action since I bought it.

The good part is I only paid $49 each rod. I contacted Cabela's and they will not warranty the rods. 

Any place or person who could fix them at a reasonable cost? Or perhaps I should look for a new rod?

Thanks,

10 Replies Related Threads

Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/18 12:38:30 (permalink)
    I have been very successful with TFO fly rods for steelhead fishing. I have broken the tip on one, lost the tip section once and had problems with the reel seat on another and they were all fixed or replaced under their warrant.  Same for a neighbor who I fish with.  

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."  Abraham Lincoln
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/18 15:18:47 (permalink)
    If they are the same two rods see if you can fit the sections together so you have one rod to fish with.
    cdcaddis
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/18 22:03:20 (permalink)
    I can explain how you can fix your rod.  You will though need a short length of graphite or fiberglass with an outside diameter the same size as the inside diameter of the broken section.

Take either a piece of fine sandpaper or a very fine file and clean up both broken edges.  You want to make then square to the blank.  Then cut a piece of the graphite or fiberglass so it is about 3" - 3.5" long.  See how it fits into the broken sections.  Mark the middle of the repair piece somehow - I use a piece of white chalk.  Then test fit it.  Put one half the repair piece in one end of the broken tip and the other end goes in the top half of the broken piece.  Check to see the two halves match perfectly.  If no not sand a bit more.  Then when they mate perfectly mix up a little five minute epoxy.  Mix the epoxy thoroughly. Get a Q-tip or toothpick and apply a bit of epoxy to one end of the patch piece and insert it into the broken section.  Set aside and let it dry completely.  Then repeat with the other side.  If you did it correctly only you will know where the two pieces broke.  This process only works if it a clean break.  If the blank is splintered it won't work. 

Flyfisher for fifty-four years.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/19 08:09:39 (permalink)
    For a $49 rod, just replace it.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/19 08:11:20 (permalink)
    Steeler Fan
    I have been very successful with TFO fly rods for steelhead fishing. I have broken the tip on one, lost the tip section once and had problems with the reel seat on another and they were all fixed or replaced under their warrant.  Same for a neighbor who I fish with.  
    not knocking you or tfo, for that matter. But, I'd say you have been very unsuccessful with tfo fly rods. I've been steelhead fishing for over 20 years and have never broken a rod!
    cdcaddis
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/19 16:53:13 (permalink)
    FishinGuy
    For a $49 rod, just replace it.

I didn't pay attention to the cost of the rod.  Agree, at a $49 price point just buy a couple.  The value of my repair in predicated on the initial cost of the rod.  I've built rods and have some rod building experience.  That I was able to repair two broken rods was satisfying.

Flyfisher for fifty-four years.
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/21 12:17:09 (permalink)
    It’s ice fishing. Cut them down and make them into an ice rod.
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/22 07:20:34 (permalink)
    FishinGuy
    Steeler Fan
    not knocking you or tfo, for that matter. But, I'd say you have been very unsuccessful with tfo fly rods. I've been steelhead fishing for over 20 years and have never broken a rod!

I have been very successful with TFO rods but have been known to do some dumb things when fishing such as not keeping the rod straight when trying to retrieve a fly from a tree or sticking the rod tip in water to break the fly off and having the tip come off in a fast current under a tree.

My neighbor broke his when he fell down a slippery grade and landed on the butt section and broke his. All of these were user error and not TFO fault. When I explained to TFO about what I did to loose my tip section and wanted to buy a new one, the representative I talked to said to send it back and it would still be covered under the warranty.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."  Abraham Lincoln
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/01/22 09:55:54 (permalink)
    solitario lupo
    It’s ice fishing. Cut them down and make them into an ice rod.
    I've done that to a few cheapy free rods over the years. It works for panfish, but they have no back bone.
    15ftstcroix
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: Broken Fly rods - 2021/03/16 19:35:27 (permalink)
    On my very first fish on the Kenai i broke a 15 ft. im6 grafite custom rod that i had made for me by demartino in ny. when i got home i tryed to contact him about my rod and was informed that he had gone to the great steelhead river in the sky.... Sooo i repaired it by putting an old right sized piece about a foot long inside the broken pieces that were splintered about 3 inches with epoxy then i wrapped the whole repair area with black rod tying thread and varnished. that was in 2009 and it still gets used every season by my youngest son . it is quite satisfying fixing stuff back to usefulness. gramma said " use it up ,wear it out, make it do, or do without"
    Jump to: