AnsweredTying Good steelhead jigs

Author
Gammywizzler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2020/10/26 09:05:14 (permalink)

Tying Good steelhead jigs

so i know this is for fly tying but i dont currently have fly fishing gear, and figure that this is where people would be the most knowledgeable about this.
so i was wondering if anyone knew about basic hair jigs i could tie for steelhead. im looking to diversify the bait, both artificial and live that i can use, and i have very basic stuff to tie jigs. I know explaining things like this is hard, but it would be much apreciated. 
Thanks 
solitario lupo
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/26 10:11:51 (permalink)
Not sure what your asking but. Deer hair and marabou feathers works good and you can get any fabric for fly tying will work.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9681
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/26 12:08:01 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Gammywizzler 2020/10/26 13:47:16
Flyshop “doll hair” is similar to a synthetic marabou, but the colors are part of the fiber and not died. Which will keep the die from running if wanting to use multiple colors or in your box with other colors. I haven’t found as nice of hair at crafts stores as I find in fly shops (or online fly shops).

Adding a little Flashbou works well too.

If you tip your jigs with maggots, they will often hold your jig a little longer to give a little more time on a hook set. Some times you don’t need maggots other times they just don’t want anything to do with jigs no matter what you do.

Get your jig heads in 1/64 oz or 1/32 oz with no collar. Give a good starting wrap with your thread. I have had good success with monofilament thread that I bought at the Wally World sewing section. Works great for larger bucktail jigs that I tie as well. After your starting wraps, put some Sally Hansen Tough as Nails or some superglue. Then put your hair on, wrap it up and finish with some Sally Hansen.

Those jig heads work great for panfish too, which I use mine for much more than steelhead.
Gammywizzler
New Angler
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/26 13:49:09 (permalink)
i have some of this stuff, and have been experimenting, hoping to try some of my jigs out soon, i know the basics from a boy scout camp a couple years ago, so they look ok, but not incredible. 
i know some good spots that i am going to try, thanks for the help Porktown
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/27 19:31:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Gammywizzler 2020/10/28 11:15:07
Practice practice practice. If you think they're just ok, consider taking a razor blade and cutting the materials off the jig and trying again. Hard to suggest a pattern without knowing exactly what you have. Chartreuse, pink, white, brown, black, and all flash (flashabou,crystal flash, etc. Silver, gold, whatever) are all good colors. Most combinations of those as well. If using more than one color, make sure the darker color will be the back/top of the jig. Dark colors tied on the bottom, assuming you're trying them on a vise. A bright and/or flash tail with a natural fur collar would be nice too. My most productive steelhead jig is about an inch give or take of silver flashabou tied sparsely to the shank. That's it. Swims great and drives em nuts at times. I don't even tip them with anything.
Gammywizzler
New Angler
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/27 21:07:51 (permalink)

post edited by Gammywizzler - 2020/10/27 21:09:25
Gammywizzler
New Angler
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/27 21:07:53 (permalink)
i have some shiney flashabou looking stuff (sorry for a lack of terminology), some olive maribou i think, and some pink maribou along with some white fur stuff.. along with some super glue, some 1/32 oz gold jig heads, and some red string to tie it with. 
i dont know if that helps, but thats all i have right now, i have been tying basic olive on top white on the bottom with some flashabou mixed in

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/27 21:28:18 (permalink)
Get a vise if you don’t have. Cheap ones are better than nothing. A thread bobbin is a must too. Both allow you to put good tension on the wraps, both to make neat and to keep your materials on your hooks.

Sally Hansen Tough as Nails is maybe $2-$3 at Walmart or Target. It is what a lot of fly trying guys use. It lasts a while, unlike superglue that the tube dries up days after opening.

This sewing monofilament is great too. The past few years I have been using this on everything. Mostly 1/2 oz bucktails and surf candies, but have used on these same jigs (used for panfish). It is thin and pretty strong. When using multiple colors, it shows those colors through the collar, although red is good too. With my larger bucktails, I have the jig heads airbrushed to match, so the clear thread gives a professional look. I have messed around with other craft threads and materials and many are a waste of money. This stuff is good for tying as are some other items you can find at craft stores.

https://www.walmart.com/i...Thread-300-Yd/19238120
Gammywizzler
New Angler
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/28 08:05:29 (permalink)
thanks porktown, i have a decent vice, but my bobbin is old
about 4 times older than me, and im 15. but it works so im going to keep using it.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Tying Good steelhead jigs 2020/10/28 08:43:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Gammywizzler 2020/10/28 11:14:57
As long as it is giving tension and not fraying your thread, then you bobbin is good. 

When I first tried to tie, I tried without a vise and using loose thread.  It is almost impossible.  Like FishinGuy said, nothing better than practice.

As a side note though, fish are dumb and will most likely hit some of the "these look okay" jigs under the right conditions.  Many lures are built to catch fishermen over fish...
Jump to: