Answeredcost to start kayak fishing

Author
Gammywizzler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2020/10/25 15:47:47 (permalink)

cost to start kayak fishing

so I am looking to get into kayak fishing and i am wondering if anyone could shed some light on what i would be looking at to get into kayak fishing (kayak, paddle, life jacket. that kind of stuff) im not looking for anything crazy, i just want to fish some class one rivers and small lakes like Finley lake and Eaton reservoir, and maybe the bay. I'm not concerned about transportation, but don't want a massive boat. all comments welcome. 
thanks
edit: i found this https://offerup.com/item/detail/950348289/ and was wondering if it is a good deal. it is more expensive than the original kayak, but it is upgraded leaving the only things left to do on it to get a new paddle (as the one in the picture is pretty beat up) and get a life jacket. seems like a decent deal to me.
(had to do goofy things to the link to make it show up)
post edited by Gammywizzler - 2020/10/26 08:11:07
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9681
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/25 18:12:27 (permalink)
Used, you can probably find a great deal between now and spring, especially if patient and not too picky.

I have a 15 year old yak now. Got it used for $300. I got a roof top carrier which was another $150. Paddle was $50, rod holder was $30, fish finder was $150, decent vest was $50, paddle holder another $30, I did some other “upgrades” with PVC and made a kayak carrier that cost me $50ish. For an anchor, do not buy a boat anchor! You want something about 2lbs. You obviously don’t need all of that, but eventually likely would. I kept it this long to let my kids use (1-2 times per year). I was about to sell all for $200 a few years ago and probably close to that in 3-4 years... There are others out there.

Me now that I can afford a bit more than me 15 years ago, I wouldn’t buy without foot peddles. That is basically a $1500 yak, well more than my entire package, but what I would do.

Hopefully this helps.
Gammywizzler
New Angler
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/26 07:57:45 (permalink)
Thanks alot Porktown. Thats super helpful because I am getting a job but it dosent start until the spring so i may have to wait a little longer to get a good deal, but its good to know

thanks for the help
Gammywizzler
New Angler
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/26 08:03:35 (permalink)
do you know of any good online marketplaces other than facebook to look for kayaks in my area?
i have been asking around town about kayaks for sale but i have not hear anything and was wondering if there were good online places to look
thanks

PaYakr
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/26 20:01:57 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Gammywizzler 2020/10/27 10:26:56
FB Marketplace and Craigslist are your best bet.  Ideally, you should look for a demo day offered by a local outfitter so you can try several types of kayaks before buying.  However, if you wait until spring to purchase, you are going to be paying the highest prices.  Between now and December is your best chance to get a good deal on used (IMO, good deal is 50% or more off the new MSRP), and even new with some kayak shops.  In the meantime, watch a lot of youtube channels (fishing kayak comparisons) to get an idea of what you are looking for, and what you can expect to get on your budget.  Know the fundamental differences between sit on top and sit inside, how length and width translate to paddling performance, and how these differences fit the type of water you will be paddling (what works best on small lakes will perform poorly in a bay, and vice versa).  If funds are scarce, the last thing you want to do is spend your limited funds on the wrong kayak, so research is key, and there is no shortage of reviews on Youtube.  Wouldn't hurt to research good kayak/fishing etiquette as well, especially if using boat ramps and fishing around other vessels.  Check out local FB groups as most areas will have a local kayak fishing group page, and members are typically willing to give advice and even let you demo their kayaks during their spring meet ups.  
PaYakr
Novice Angler
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/26 20:17:27 (permalink)
Gammywizzle
i found this https://offerup.com/item/detail/950348289/ and was wondering if it is a good deal.

IMO, no, it is not a good deal.  Don't get caught up with "extras".  The fewer extras, the better.  More often than not, where you are going to want the add-ons, is not going to be where the seller installed it.  You also don't know how they were installed, and you could just be buying someone else's "oops".  Even with add-ons, don't pay more than the kayak costs new.  Keep it simple starting out.  A comfortable PFD (one you will wear all year long), the lightest paddle you can afford (and correct length), and other safety gear (whistle, white light if out at night, etc.).
Gammywizzler
New Angler
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/27 10:30:35 (permalink)
thanks PaYakr, I have demod a couple of boats, one being a oceankayak sit on top, its a super nice boat, but a little pricey for me, but now i know a general idea of what i want. Thanks a lot for the help, ive been looking at alot of kayaks, but im currently not willing to spend upwards of 600 dollars, so ive been keeping my eye out for a vibe kayak for sale, or a feelfree boat, im hoping that after the election, and winter starts to set in, I can buy one for pennies on the dollar. wishful thinking, i know but worth a try. Thanks
PaYakr
Novice Angler
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/27 11:07:59 (permalink)
If you have any small outfitters near you, pay them a visit on small business Saturday. You might be surprised what you find. This is an unusual year but during previous years finding new kayaks 50% off was not unheard of. Be careful going too inexpensive if you think you will use it often.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/27 11:49:11 (permalink)
'Yakr that is some great info, thank you for taking the time. 🍻

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1936
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/27 13:22:29 (permalink)
I bought a $300 sit in a couple years ago, and I used it a TON this year. I’m of the opinion that you really don’t need to spend a ton of money to get into kayak fishing, however I don’t have much personal experience with the high end fishing kayaks, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I like that my cheapo sit in is super light compared to the specialized fishing kayaks, so it’s easy to load on/off the car and carry to the water. Plus I don’t have to worry about it getting beat up too much. And honestly it is all the kayak I would ever need for the small rivers, creeks and flat water lakes that I fish.

You want something that tracks straight, and is stable in the water. Some of the entry level kayaks aren’t stable and can tip easier so I’d suggest reading reviews for any model that you are considering, because even if you can demo it, you may not know what to look for if you are new to kayaking. But some of the entry level, inexpensive kayaks are definitely more than adequate for flat water, and I think you can get a lot of bang for your buck in the $300-$600 price range.

Get a good (light weight) paddle, and a good/comfortable life jacket. I think it’s worth it to spend a little extra on a good roof rack too (always tie down the bow and stern btw- get hood loop straps for your car).

As mentioned, get a light weight kayak anchor, but also get an anchor trolley so you can put your anchor point at either the front or back of the boat (never anchor off the side).
PaYakr
Novice Angler
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/27 15:36:54 (permalink)
I agree with MyWar that you can get a lot of use out of the cheaper kayaks as long as you keep your expectations reasonable.  Depending on your size, a cheap kayak from Dunhams might be all you need for smaller lakes, but I would not add a bunch of gear, or try to take it out on the bay.  Always be prepared to go swimming, so wear the PFD, and dress accordingly.  Most fishing PFDs allow you to keep all your tools and terminal tackle on you, which is a win win.  I had the high end setup but, with recent back issues, I took advantage of the increased demand this past season and sold it.  I actually started fishing from a stand up paddle board last year and prefer it over a kayak.  I take one or two rods, a small bag of tackle, and a small cooler to throw the crappie in, which also acts as a seat when needed.  I found the less I take, the more enjoyable it is.  I am not hitting big water with it or taking a ton of gear, like I could have done with my kayak.  I often find myself bank fishing more often than not, but use the board to get me to banks not easily accessed on foot.  Adding a few Youtube links below.  Lots of great channels out there but this guy, in my opinion, gives some of the best non-bias reviews of the more inexpensive kayaks out there.  When he talks about prices, he is typically citing MSRP.  Given the right time of year, you can find used 30%-50% below MSRP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ8aP4zljPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaqgQAoEEsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ESqznshez0

Gammywizzler
New Angler
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/27 16:40:49 (permalink)
PaYakr, Im subscribed to headwaters kayaks on youtube lol. saw that sub 300 video a while ago. good refresher though especially after seeing all of the 6-700 range boats. 
i have my eye on a boat, and i am thinking about pulling the trigger, but im going to do more research and wait until mid winter to see if it goes on sale. 
thanks for everything

post edited by Gammywizzler - 2020/10/27 16:42:35
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1936
Re: cost to start kayak fishing 2020/10/27 18:22:25 (permalink)
My girlfriend got the pelican the Headwaters guy reviews in the “5 kayaks under $300” video and she loves it. She did a lot fishing/floating with me over the summer and it was perfect.
Jump to: