AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..191192193194195.. > >> Showing page 195 of 199
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2020/10/07 17:59:07 (permalink)
Pretty sure a tornado blew through. Lots damage and my wife has responded to the ladies auxiliary to support the fire department

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2020/10/20 17:38:16 (permalink)
Winters coming..... for some. For others it may be drought and/or above norm temps for this coming winter season.

For a preview of who might get what where..... click the link below.

https://youtu.be/Wd64xdXLccM

NOAA

U.S. Winter Outlook: Cooler North, warmer South with ongoing La Nina
Persistent drought dominates the Western landscape

NOAA’s winter forecast for the U.S. favors warmer, drier conditions across the southern tier of the U.S., and cooler, wetter conditions in the North, thanks in part to an ongoing La Nina. Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center — a division of the National Weather Service — are also closely monitoring persistent drought during the winter months ahead, with more than 45% of the continental U.S. now experiencing drought.......

https://www.noaa.gov/medi...h-with-ongoing-la-nina
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/10/20 17:40:53

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2020/10/21 10:26:28 (permalink)
Yep the drought is over. It has absolutely poured for 8 hours. 2 plus inches. More going into reservoir than coming out. Should push the remainder of the salmon in and start the steel

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2020/10/21 18:23:21 (permalink)
Hoo freakin ray.

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2020/10/21 19:42:13 (permalink)
The Pa.,Ohio tribs got a good soaking also.Flow gauges are all way up.Now the run will be going full blast,but I can't get there until November sometime,guess I'll spend some time tying and getting gear ready.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2020/10/25 04:01:52 (permalink)
Know any young folks interested in meteorology? Here's maybe a chance to get their feet wet. (🤭No pun intended) I would think NWS would be looking for folks muup through the Empire State also.

🤔 Does make me wonder, just what do the NWS truly expect?

❄️Winters coming. ☃️

NWS
Volunteer To Measure Snow for the National Weather Service

Local Programs
The National Weather Service (NWS) in Cleveland is looking for new volunteers to measure snow in the Snow Observation Program. If you are already in the program, you do not need to re-apply.

We need new snow observers in all of the counties that NWS Cleveland serves. snow spotters across northern Ohio and northwestern Pennsylvania.

snow spotters across Northeast Ohio.

However, we could especially use more volunteer snow spotters in the snow belt of Northeast Ohio and Northwest Pennsylvania, where more frequent snows occur with lake effect. Specifically, we need spotters in:

Erie County, PA
Crawford County, PA
Lake County, OH ***Very Much Needed Along and South of I-90!
Cuyahoga County, OH ***Very Much Needed in the Eastern Half of the County!
Geauga County, OH
Medina County, OH
Summit County, OH
Portage County, OH ***Very Much Needed in the Northern Half of the County!
Trumbull County, OH ​***Very Much Needed in the Northern Half of the County!
Mahoning County, OH
***Let's Fill the Gaps for the 2020-2021 Winter Season!!!***

The National Weather Service Snow Observation Program is a volunteer program. Snow observers measure the snow and email the Cleveland NWS office each morning and evening when it snows. In your email observation, you will report 12 hour snowfall and the total snow on the ground. You will also record the information on a monthly log which you will email to the NWS office in Cleveland at the end of each month.

NWS Meteorologists at the Forecast Office use your data to assist in making forecasts and issuing snow warnings or advisories. Your monthly logs are used to document monthly and seasonal snowfall at your location and also for research purposes.

Your consistency is an important aspect of the program. Observers are expected to report twice a day, every day that it snows, for the entire winter season, or as often as possible. All you need is a ruler or yard stick to measure the snow.

To volunteer, just send an email to zachary.sefcovic@noaa.gov with the subject line "Snow Spotter Volunteer". In your email, please include your name, full postal address and phone number. We never share your information.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2020/11/02 16:53:43 (permalink)
First measuring snow of the year our ground was covered . Pulaski was not. Some melted, got a touch of sun , but it is now coming down moderately .

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re:Weather thread 2020/11/23 10:06:48 (permalink)
Just as the State is about to declare the drought over it is raining- the nicest best steady rain we have seen since early 
Summer- been going on since early  last night.
Its rained before but limited to a very short heavy rain here and there or misty drizzel that doesnt even get too wet under the trees- this one is much appreciated.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/11/23 10:08:59
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2020/12/18 07:19:24 (permalink)
Yesterday was quite the storm. My son got 35" up in the hills around glens falls. Albany airport reported 25" and my ruler said 19" but it seemed like more. My ATV wouldn't move it was so deep. I ended up buying a snowblower to make some lanes for the ATV.
I just did the basic so we are able to get vehicles out. LOTS of clean up to do this weekend. Right now I have no room for anymore.
Hope everyone stayed safe

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re:Weather thread 2020/12/18 14:14:23 (permalink)
As most everyone else in the regional we were hit pretty hard here too. Measured 24" in the chicken yard (area most protected from wind drift). We also bought a new snow blower, the engine on our old one seized up on Tuesday when husband was getting it ready for the season.
Amazing how much variation in snow fall amounts we see around here. We are on one of the highest ridges and got probably 12" more than the town he works in 13 miles away at 900ft lower elevation. I worked yesterday also and saw snowfall amounts from 12" to 20". Unfortunately it was enough it overwhelmed many peoples abilities to keep their driveway and house access open which caused plenty of headaches for us, but have dealt with it before, and certainly will again at some point. Thankfully it wasnt the ice event that some on the east coast had to deal with. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2020/12/18 19:19:45 (permalink)
Well it was a memorable storm-
 They were right about snow depth and 50 MPH winds-
Temps in the 20s with those winds made for a lowwwww wind chill.
Soooo  the Lab comes in at night and stays in a crate in the den- generally till about 5 or 6 Am when he barks a while and gets outside.
Not in the storm --he started up around 2:30 and hadda go out to his  pen and hay filed coop-' what a nice walk back and forth.

Sooo the bad parts over right /// WRONG.

Got up about 6 and found that the toilet in the basement was overflowing when using water in the house- certainly a blockage between the house and lines in the street out front.
Of course the storm is going nuts outside and no one can come out with a 120 foot motorized snake to care for it.
Got the drive cleared enough to take wifey to her Moms nearby and I stayed in the house with the wood stove doing what it l could to dry things out.
Cleared stuff up after the snow and had someone over with a motorize snake to get the blockage out- ROOTS from a tree in front of the house was the culprit.
The house is 45 years and the roots blocked the pipe up on storm day- 

Murphys law---
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/12/18 19:21:47
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re:Weather thread 2020/12/18 20:18:12 (permalink)
I got 15+", hard to tell exact figure due to the wind.  After five hours of shoveling and using the snow thrower I called it quits yesterday just before dark.  Two+ hours today as I finished digging out and clearing the vehicles.  Ready for the next one that is sure to come.  Lol   
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2020/12/18 23:46:32 (permalink)
I got 12"so I went out with the blower and started to clean the 300 foot long hill,that was all for one day so I finished the rest by the house and 4 car garage today.Now I would like to see sun and 40+ temps to melt some,I'm already sick of looking at it .
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2020/12/19 07:59:26 (permalink)
I shoveled pathways and areas the snowblower couldn't get until 8pm last night.
I still have another full day of clearing snow left but its gonna have to wait until Sunday.
Temperature went to NEGATIVE 1 last night. That's making ice !!
If I get some free time ( yea right) , I'll check and see if my perch lake is frozen.
Started gathering ice gear together a little last night and it would be nice to hit hardwater on Christmas eve. For sure I will on NYE though.

Stay warm folks.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2020/12/19 16:11:08 (permalink)
LOL we got about 4 inches , syracuse 7 or 8. Not even enough to worrie about

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re:Weather thread 2020/12/20 22:50:47 (permalink)
OK Mother Nature... bring it on!

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/08 18:48:35 (permalink)
Well update on the weather. There is little to no snow on the ground and it is finally getting Colder. It looks like the cold is here to stay for a while, but we will see. No ice within 1.5 hours or so that is what I would call safe. I am thinking of going up to the river, but I got the vaccine and my arm hurts like a mother

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/09 09:25:32 (permalink)
My wife got the Pfizer and had zero reaction. Her co workers ended up with the Moderna and had some bad reactions.  I figured you'd get it quickly. I'm hoping for the next round. Hope you go fishing. Good luck! 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/09 11:46:45 (permalink)
Glad you got the shot Charlie
fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/09 12:46:30 (permalink)
r3g3
Glad you got the shot Charlie

Trev, Clint and my wife got it, I didn't, yet. Nancy gets her second shot in 2 weeks, I'm high on the list in the second round. I hope I get it to at least go out for drop backs.  Til then, gotta live through Clint's reports...  Like I said before, I'd take a cookie cutter in a heartbeat, especially if wasn't dark.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/09 18:51:49 (permalink)
Good to know about the snow/weather Clint. There is little left in the adirondacks from the big dump we had. The ice is formed up there very well except on the super lakes. There's plenty others and ATV's are on them as well.
Today we fished on 11".

As for a vaccine. I'd love to have it available to my family. My sister's health is our concern if she were to get covid.
Personally, I think nys is wasting things as usual, but that's a different story.
Be well everyone

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/09 19:13:48 (permalink)
Good to know about the snow/weather Clint. There is little left in the adirondacks from the big dump we had. The ice is formed up there very well except on the super lakes. There's plenty others and ATV's are on them as well.
Today we fished on 11".

As for a vaccine. I'd love to have it available to my family. My sister's health is our concern if she were to get covid. My wife is 100 % eligible by state mandates. Problem is , even with 4 major hospitals that have the vaccine, none have openings available until the end of January. They are sitting on it .
Personally, I think nys is wasting things as usual, but that's a different story.
Be well everyone

JM2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/09 19:57:45 (permalink)
I think that I would first get an antibody test before considering receiving the vaccine.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/10 10:09:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fichy 2021/01/10 19:49:36
Not that I am an expert, but having covid and testing positive for antibodies does not guarantee protection, just shows you had it. I know of quite a few people who tested positive for antibodies and had a positive test months later. The vaccine works with , but a little different than natural antibodies. The CDC recommends vaccination even with positive antibody test.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/11 17:31:45 (permalink)
So on this off topic, our emperor of this state is saying 14 weeks for those eligible. Absolutely ridiculous. They are holding and tossing vaccines away. That's a fact Jack..
His only priority is to cry poverty for a bailout and to start selling weed for income.
What better way to get cash then to sell recreational drugs.
My take, I'm a farmer and won't pay a dime more then I have to, to the state of new York then they force me while he is in office.

Other news,
The weather remains stable which is good. No snow, little winds.
I think that's going to change after this week.
Nice getting on ice without trudging through snow

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/11 18:08:05 (permalink)
The plan was for the Feds to get the meds to the states and the governors were to distribute within their states- after all who knows the states better.

I just cant figure out why they havent all adapted the same people and places they have done for years with Flu vaccine along with other venues.

Thinking its kind of a cluster--- here in Ct too.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/11 21:06:04 (permalink)
Trev one the issues is the vaccine must be kept extremely cold and many place do have the facilities to store it. The other is sheer numbers and not wanting 100s of people waiting. Most pharma do not have the ability to schedule appointments or the physical space to . handle the numbers

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/11 21:30:30 (permalink)
So ny got over 6 million doses in past 4 weeks. Administered less than 1/2. Tossing 10 of thousands in the garbage because of an expiration/ storage issue.
Really,
The wolf leading sheep.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/11 22:37:42 (permalink)
Not to get political but most living outside the cities know what the issue is. Much was wasted due to the ridiculous constraints placed on distribution. In many cases hospital workers working from home were given shots before cops and first responders due to technicalities on who was " allowed " to get it. It was either give it to them or it goes to waste and they would not be given more.

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2021/01/12 07:38:08 (permalink)
Meanwhile, thousands of productive immuno-compromised people like me have to live in fear because it will be months before we are gotten to. If I go anywhere, most people have now decided to not wear masks and socially distance , as if it's over.  The same thing for New York's ridiculous medical marijuana program. Cuomo made it prohibitively hard to use. He's also blocked its recreational legalization. Those that experience chronic pain, nausea and other debilitations could benefit from it. If  I have to put up with stoners, then I should be able to benefit from some tax relief.  I  HATE the people that  grew pot and made tons of tax free money.  Now that Mass, Vt, and NJ have all moved into legalization, NY is forced to make a move. Here's a funny deer camp story:

My best friend lives on a large family farm that has been in his wife's family for a century.
As it is in a heavily planted lush valley, there is a large deer herd that thrives  on the corn and alfalfa grown as cow feed. The family has a deer camp built high on a mountain that is part of the Taconic range,  near the end of the  Appalachian ridge. It's a cool place that we've gone to many times not in deer season.
     A month or so ago, there was a large contingent of family and friends that converged on the camp, as they do every year. Now, Vermont has legalized  the growing of marijuana for personal consumption with limitations. A family friend and neighbor, who is pretty well off and  successful in the insurance game, decided to grow one plant. Pretty bright guy, so he follows some instruction and  grows a very happy and healthy plant along the lines of a Christmas  Tree. It also was very heavy in  cannabinoids, the psychoactive component that makes it such a valuable commodity. 
    All the family and their friends are die hard conservatives, except for one black sheep who wasn't invited. A few of these guys may have smoked a joint or two in high school or college, but  the camp is for serious hunting  (eating, too) and these fellows don't even drink much.
So Mr. Insurance, a gourmet cook, decides to make a large batch of  fancy cookies that he throws some of his Christmas Tree into.  He brings it to camp, but has the foresight to put it in a cabinet. They leave a note for my friend who is working at his command post in Northern Vt. and can't get there til late in the day of the camp meeting. It tells him where most have gone to hunt, so he has a choice of direction to go, and for him to eat anything he wants. He is starving, so he takes out some things and starts to chow down.  After a sandwich, he opens the cookie bag he's found in the cabinet  , but sees a few suspicious flakes . They haven't made him a General for nothing ,so he snickers and puts it back. He goes out to hunt. When he gets back to the camp via  headlamp, the cookies are out and a number of hunters are commenting how good they are.  Mr. Insurance comes in,  sees what's happening and laughs. He informs them what they are and eats one, himself.  I'll leave the rest to imagination as a bunch of guys in their 60's  , who haven't  done more than a prescribed med or pain killer since the 70's, get just a little.....silly.  My friend  went home to sleep that night, as he  could only tolerate it for so long.  As this stuff gets  more prevalent in society,  you may have to be a little more careful around the Christmas cookies. Fruit cake, anyone?

post edited by fichy - 2021/01/12 07:47:54
Page: << < ..191192193194195.. > >> Showing page 195 of 199
Jump to: