Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 34
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/13 18:39:30 (permalink)
Last weekend you could see our campfire from Mars.
We didn't look for planets last night and tonight is cloudy.
One thing we are glad to not see is a Lowe's house wrap.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/13 20:59:52 (permalink)
So it's pretty strange that the compound homestead in these pictures I'm working on, is the house I will be giving up to my daughter. Have no idea what she will do with 5,000 square feet.
We are actually moving 50 yards into another house not pictured.
Lots of fun times in my 50 plus years but once we settle in, hopefully fun times ahead in the future

Something not right
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/09/15 21:50:37

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/17 11:04:55 (permalink)
Actually hate to say it but my reasons for missing this season are starting to become reality.
One popular eatery in Pulaski just closed because of an employee testing positive=
Yea- ya say only one -but how many even go out to be tested ?

Its here and its there and am too darned old with 'issues' to roll too many dice.

Hope for some Spring Steel if the vaccine comes out.

Tight lines and health to all who venture up to SR- please send in your experiences as some of us are virtual fishing through these threads-- lol.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/18 15:25:13 (permalink)
Yeah, I'm back to fun stuff

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/19 08:01:31 (permalink)
So my projects continue to mount. What we thought would be a small roof job over this old sun porch is now turning into a complete rebuild. All the windows ( which were only storm windows) are being removed and the walls framed, sheathed so new real windows can be installed into framing. Eventually it will be re sided.
Hopefully this project will be completed by next week and we move forward to rebuild the back deck on the house we're moving into.
Trying to get as much outside work done as possible before the weather turns.
The new house needs to be finished painting inside and the subflooring in kitchen removed and replaced along with new flooring.
Our goal of moving in is mid to late October.
I have zero time for fishing as we are working on the house 7 days a week. Fun stuff here folks
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/09/19 08:03:37

Attachment(s)

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/19 13:32:33 (permalink)
Lots of people don't believe that Covid is to be taken with any seriousness around Pulaski. I thought about going 1st week of Oct. for some day trips, but the low water has turned me off to that.  I am going to the coast to camp and catch the fall run. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/19 13:41:39 (permalink)
Good luck with the Salt Charlie.

If I was close enough to do day trips to SR I would, if it rains, but 6 each way is a lot now.
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/20 09:09:18 (permalink)
6 is a bit much, T.   Have to be some good conditions to warrant napping in a rest area. I've slept in the cheap seats in  rest areas on the Thruway in  the back of my truck in the winter when they don't patrol for  asphalt campers, but  that's a different story.  I might reserve some time for coldish weather steel later, but the large uptick in Spey activity on other boards and how many people are planning to go has me spooked  a bit. Not into shuffle , cast, tell some lies about Atlantic Salmon, shuffle, cast........   The salt has been great to me this year, and I've felt safe fishing back in the  spartina grass and empty beaches. Camped in a park with huge sites and very few campers. Early on we did day trips.  A little over 3 hrs. and N drove 1 way. I took the  leave- at -1 am -shift., napped on the way home.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/21 10:31:43 (permalink)
Welll- guess its time for my annual reporting rant-
Otherwise known as getum up here - we need the business--

When they tell ya on the web that the fishing is challenging- they are there for those in the right places-running in the early AM and then holding tight in deep holes-those who move around a lot and put in their time can find them-etc etc etc
It means there isnt a run going on.
Yea some fish, but NOT a run - frankly not even hearing about any  pods except perhaps for one or two in the very low end before spreading out even down there- or turning in the low waters and going back down.
Guys in the sluices yanking their number ones standing 8 feet apart all day will likely sooner or later take whatever is going up and try and make it look like a run- BIT IT AINT yet-- and it should be by now.

View from far--The old more fishermen than fish seems to be appropriate till somthing  changes -HOPE
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/09/21 12:17:33
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/21 13:26:01 (permalink)
The change needed is RAIN ,and the forecast is not promising.WE need one of those systems that is drenching the Gulf states to head NORTH!
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/22 08:59:26 (permalink)
Bait shop up there really got my attention this AM
They essentially advised that there are 10 fish holding in deep holes with 20 fisher folks standing around  hitting them with heavy split shot--LMAO
Also said that its a nice trip for folks living nearby but not for those who have to travel a long way to get there.

Sounding too much like last year IMHO-perhaps even a bit less.

HONEST REPORTING

I agree- RAIN may be the key this time of year - but when they are ready they gotta go.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/09/22 09:00:38
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/22 09:14:23 (permalink)
A co worker returned from 2 days fishing ( Sunday and Monday).
He fished prime water at the ballpark. Said there were very, very few people and basically had any spots he wanted to fish.
He hooked up a total of 2 coho. Seen little else going on and real skinny water where he could easily see bottom throughout most of the river.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/22 09:52:25 (permalink)
Have seen some Coho reported in catch numbers Rich. Am glad they are there as the past couple of years they have been tough.

In regard to my previous tackle shop poor report --another reports 'waves of fish' coming in down low-Heck, even DSR reports dont say THAT.

Dont go by reports- if ya want to fish go find out for yourself- even in lousy times ya might just hit a couple
good luck and tight lines.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/09/22 12:29:10
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/22 20:36:10 (permalink)
Now to me this is either fun stuff or not so much.
Tonight when I got home we extracted a deck covered fuel tank that's in good shape but was deemed not safictory to the fuel delivery service because it was an outside tank not visible.
The entire 18' deck is being replaced so it was a win situation to get that out and moved to a good home.
While we are taking long strides,the baby steps keep moving forward.
at least

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/24 19:45:24 (permalink)
I went Monday and there very few fish seen with no place for them to hide. Town pool had about 20 in it and 100 plus people

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/25 07:37:51 (permalink)
Any redds are likely to get trampled and slashed to death. Doesn't bode well for this year class. Thanks for the grisly picture, Clint, I've never seen the river low as this,  it's pretty awful.  Might as well equip yourself with a pitchfork. I hope things change meteorologically going into steel season, though there may be lots less eggs and flesh. The lower the spawn, the less food in the whole system.  I wonder how many are running at night?
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/25 08:04:28 (permalink)
Cant make this stuff up
-Clint I believe you on the town pool

Buttt-
Along with a yesterday fish  photo a local tackle shop said the town pool was a 'ball of fire" yesterday .

Now thats  trolling----
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/09/25 11:41:35
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/26 07:56:40 (permalink)
r3g3
Cant make this stuff up
-Clint I believe you on the town pool

Buttt-
Along with a yesterday fish  photo a local tackle shop said the town pool was a 'ball of fire" yesterday .

Now thats  trolling----

If I believed FN's report , I'd  would have been in my car heading for the river in a heartbeat. W's was a little more realistic and did mention they are running at night.  Does Melinda have a report?  All the Spey guys   I see on the salt boards (it's a big deal to surf fish two hand fly rod, now- also a big pain in the azz just to land a stinkin' 1lb. rat striper)  have been quiet as church mice, maybe because the church lot is empty. I'll believe  Clint and Jack when he goes. I might try a day just because......   I guess the river got  in my blood, screwed up  as my blood is right now.  I know retired guy is chomping at the bit, too.  What a terrible addiction. lol.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/26 09:15:25 (permalink)
I have a co worker there now and he said it's and absolute circus form 2A down. Low water and what fish just came in are hitting ropes FAST. I have ZERO desire to go and and join the Corona conga line.
Gosh bless those that do

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/26 09:40:50 (permalink)
I'll be there Tues at noon.I hope there are some fish in my "secret" spot.I'll be giving a report as the week goes on
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/26 09:55:13 (permalink)
Good luck Jack. I heard the secret spot is empty of fish but you are a fish master

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/26 17:19:14 (permalink)
One of the best days I've ever had was with Jack with just a few people around, sometimes NONE and we had numerous doubles of decently green kings for what seemed hours. I hope Jack sees just that. Some dam rain would help.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/26 19:18:22 (permalink)
I don't recall my years as they all seem to fade but this is reminiscent of a run ( 2007) ? if you paid to play it was on fire. I think 2017 Jack told me to turnaround as I was heading up.
I'm in a situation of not having the time to have fun times right now.
Maybe next year. It's been 3 seasons now I've passed on salmon. I hope it won't be a repeat of trout
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/09/26 19:23:42

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/27 09:18:23 (permalink)
  I remember fishing with Jack, Troutbum and  hot tuna  6-7  years ago and watching them all fish and what they chose for flies and the way they fished them. I stole a little bit from them all and stored it in the archive. All of us caught fish that day and I had a blast being in the company of people who are absolute predators on the SR.  The river, the times, and the vagaries of life may prohibit that from ever happening again, but,  it  sure was a privilege and fun as hell.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/27 15:08:27 (permalink)
Fichy, I remember that trip.  Got my butt kicked a number of times below P'ville on my version of a bead head copper john.   
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/27 15:44:08 (permalink)
 TB, I have a slightly blurred pic of a salmon half the length of my rod from that night. It was dusk and in shade.  I'll never get another as large. It crushed a large orange bunny fly inches below the surface on the swing. You guys stayed on the north bank and I crossed the river and chased it down to an eddy about 200 yds. below.  I couldn't get a grip on it to even pick it up to show you guys. Tail was the size of a dust pan.  I've never seen a bigger one on the SR.  I guess that's why I go back, the memories can be pretty extreme. I watched you hook up several times up on the curve fishing near you.  You had it dialed in. 
     I may or may not try for sharks, depends on water level, but winter steel is going to be tried. We'll probably stay at Tailwater and go out behind to my favorite old haunts. I know it supposedly has changed ,but I'll adapt or get up to the  unemployment  hole at first light.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/27 16:40:35 (permalink)
I do remember that day and many others. I was throwing leaches and TB was hooking up with a chartreuse bead head nymph. He loaned me 1 and bingo, fish on.
Pretty much every adventure with folks here have been fun times no matter the fishing. Many times I was just as happy, even more so, being the " net man" as I was fishing.

After so many years and so many roads, I've had to take a step back and prioritize my future. Providing a good home , teaching my kids and grandkids and raising foods has taken away from the fun things I'd like to do more often.
Soon it will be back to more times on the water than land.
I just got home from deer camp and it didn't go well as we took a brand new tree stand down, then couldn't get it back up on tree.
I will have to return next weekend with a ladder and chain fall to hoist it up.
Our official hunting starts in 2 weeks and we have plenty very nice deer on our cameras.

Happy fishing

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/27 20:59:09 (permalink)
Fichy, actually it was HT who let me work that spot as he had done very well there the night before.  Coho's were stacked up on a redd in the soft spot below the riffle and crushed everything that drifted by.  It was a fun few hours for sure.

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/28 15:04:57 (permalink)
To give credit where credit is due- HT went out in fast water below the Church pool to net a really pretty fat  hen I hooked swinging in the tail of the pool. It dropped over into the fast water and I ran down and went sideways into the diversion while HT risked a cold dunking going out and netting it before it got away downriver. One of the best pieces of net work I've ever seen.
 He also generously  gave me his spot , which was really producing, one fine morning. After just one or two drifts my indicator stopped and I raised to the surface what looked to me like the shiny bumper of an F350.  Guys across the river saw it and yelled, it took off at warp speed and I tightened up like a rookie and snapped it off. Undoubtedly the biggest steel I've ever hooked in the SR, wasn't HT's fault I blew the chance of a lifetime.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/09/28 16:22:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fichy 2020/09/28 18:36:02
Reports picking up last day or two.
Sounding like its started a bit heavier down low.
Video of tressel dosnt show too many fisherfolks up there so one may wonder bout upper fish numbers yet.
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/09/28 17:35:41
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 34
Jump to: