Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/14 08:27:29 (permalink)
fishin coyote
HT, 
Do you grow your garlic in raised beds? I usually get mine from a guy up the road but may try to grow my own this fall.

My tomatoes are going crazy this year most are 5' plus and have gotten so heavy I had to stake the cages.

Yes , everything I grow is raised beds and soil I bring into them. My heavy clay only grows weeds.
Garlic don't take up much space at all and don't go deep. I have 4 dedicated 10" deep by 5 feet wide by 12 feet long beds for garlic.
Once harvested ( now) I plant green beans in their spot for fall harvest. Green beans also add nitrogen to the soil and by Columbus weekend, the beans are pulled and back in go the garlic

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4008
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/14 10:25:40 (permalink)
pensfan1
Everything looks great Clint. Great job!! I'll plant garlic this fall for the first time. Nothing like what you guys do, but enough for home use. I have to agree on the store bought stuff. It isn't any kind of quality. The wife uses garlic every Sunday for The Sauce. Im sure I'll be asking for some pointers when it comes time. Before Columbus Day, correct?

As far as everything else goes, I have tons and tons of green tomatoes, cant wait till we get canning. Nothing beats home jarred as opposed to the store bought. Already been picking peppers, cukes and zukes for couple weeks now. My only complaint is that cheapo fabric suxs. Eh, get what you pay for...

You like fried green tomatoes?  Good holdover until you start picking the red ones.  I will start trying them in the air fryer to make them a little healthier.  Wife is gluten free and the GF flour seems to suck up the oil a little too much.  Made a GF beer batter for zucchini the other day and it tasted great but was greasy. 

I have been able to pick 5 or 6 red maters so far, enough for sandwiches and salads.....waiting on the motherload to start canning.  Usually hits last week of July or first week of August when we are on vacation and I miss a bunch but, not going anywhere this year so I should make use of all that I get...
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3403
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/14 11:00:13 (permalink)
I've actually never tried them. We do bread zuke flowers, theyr delish..
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/14 19:11:31 (permalink)
We got good soil here I do the same, but in the ground. Plant around Columbus day. I use burlap bags between the rows and I cover mine with leaves. they usually poke through the leaves, but I mark my rows well and help them by removing the leaves if needed. Burlap and leaves keep the weeds down and both are tilled in. The leaves I use on the strawberries also fill between the rows too
post edited by Clint S - 2020/07/14 19:13:18

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/15 17:05:38 (permalink)
Way to hot for me. Is there any ice yet, lol.
Words of caution, ticks are absolutely terrible. I've had lyme and still do, it sucks believe me.
Like I said, I have the worst luck with weather. When leaving work yesterday the skies were completely black and I'm thinking, YES !! Well half way home I see the area had got drenched good and I wouldn't have to water . Well 5 miles from my house, dry as a bone and we didn't get a drop. Spent my after work hrs watering and tending animals.
Stopped at my local farm and bought a bushel of ripe tomatoes to make sauce because we can't wait any longer for homemade. These were seconds and a bushel was $20.00 . Works for me.
As for how many ears of corn in the sack, they said 5-6 dozen. Didn't have time last weekend but I'll be stopping there Friday for 3 sacks. Shared with 3 families.
All 100 garlic bulbs are sold and gone and told the wife no more sales.

I'm very worried coronavirus is going to be rearing ugly again along the northeast.
We are preparing for an even worse hunker because winter can be a long haul. I'd suggest others do as well.
My only saving grace will be, nothing can prevent us from hunting and ice fishing.
I have a feeling our plant at work will probably shutdown again if it spikes.
Peace and tuna

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/17 12:19:37 (permalink)
Speaking of corn, hit the local grocery store (Giant Eagle) and they were trying to bend the customer's over for local corn from Traxx, a large farm in the PGH area.  They wanted $12 dozen....nope, no way, no how...
They can stuff those ears where the sun don't shine!
I did not see one person getting any either...when in the past, it was like a swarm of humanity on the first local corn of the year....
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/17 12:59:36 (permalink)
pensfan1
I've actually never tried them. We do bread zuke flowers, theyr delish..

Deep fried stuffed pumpkin and squash flowers are unbelievably delicious. 👍

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/17 13:18:35 (permalink)
Deep fried almost anything is delicious

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/17 15:05:32 (permalink)
gilz,My wife just came back from the Greensburg G. E. & paid $3 for 5 ears,but we are really looking for Denny's local corn which is in very short supply. He only had corn once this week & not a lot of it. BTW  Shop & Save was trying to get $12 a doz. also. sam
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/17 16:48:40 (permalink)
Wow !! I can't believe some of the prices you folks are throwing out for homegrown corn. I just stopped for my $15.00 bag which we think is super delicious.
As I said, they sell for $5.00 a dozen at the farm and always have a packed lot of customers.
Time to get corney tonight 😎

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/17 20:12:38 (permalink)
I still have a few weeks before mine is ready but it will only cost me 20 cents a dozen LOL

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/17 22:26:29 (permalink)
I'd love to grow. It's a non maintenance plant but takes large spaces to be productive from what my small garden is. Someday I want to become a farmer again, it's in the 5 year plan. Getting older is ok as long as time is on your side.
The next 4 weeks are full blown work details.
Livestock coming and going. We want to relocate into another house by September and then the shoot hits the fan with fall harvest in all aspects.
Can I retire yet ???

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/19 11:40:58 (permalink)
First chore complete. Garlic is put to rest. 6lbs seed garlic and 20 lbs leftover for yearly use. I have more than just the pictures.
We also sold 100 bulbs so we did good. My plan in fall is another goal of 300 plants.
Pickling cukes are heavy right now and tomatoes are turning.
My daughter is making 8 quarts right now.
Homemade pizza tonight 👍 peppers and onions came from my son's garden.

Round 2 coming up.. canning corn and green beans..

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/19 18:19:43 (permalink)
Subtle little rain ocurring, causing the NWS to issue flash flood warnings for my, and surrounding neighborhoods.

NWS

301 PM EDT Sun Jul 19 2020

The National Weather Service in Cleveland has issued a

* Flood Warning for...
East central Ashtabula County in northeastern Ohio...
Northwestern Crawford County in northwestern Pennsylvania...

* Until 700 PM EDT.

Probably why the ditches are running full.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/19 18:23:52

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/19 20:47:17 (permalink)
No rain here and water hose running.
I blanched and frozen 3 dozen ears corn. We made 8 quarts sauce will cann them tomorrow. I try to prep early for later.
Hacked a southern Mellon, yuck.
Work is tough here in the drou.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/21 21:03:51 (permalink)
And so it begins. Been working the homestead till sundown.
First batch homemade sauce complete and canned. Much more to come. Everyone wanted more pints than quarts so I'll start there. Another bag of sweet corn to freeze tomorrow.
Peppers coming on nice.
Chickens come next Tuesday, pigs go in 2 weeks.
Some major moving, working week coming up August 6th.
Goal is to be situated and comfortable by September so I can focus on fall.

Rant.
I had someone question my sales of vegetables and garlic.
The question was. Why are your garlic $2.00 each, well really 3 for $5.00 , when the stand up the road is $1.75 each, each.
Answer was , maybe you should have bought them up the road.

Here's my comparison.
Up the road garlic is the size in right hand corner. I don't sell that size.
Squabbling over $.025 , really.
Be well.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/07/21 21:05:52

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/22 21:19:15 (permalink)
If you need anything state or federal done in person, good luck.
I wasted 6 hrs of my day to get what should be a 15 minute ordeal. And I'm not complete. Garden well. Rain once again kicked me in the gut.
Today basil, oregano, tomatoes, cukes harvested.
We froze 7 dozen ears of corn.
We fill freezers first then eat the seasonal foods.
Tonight was pork ribs and sweet corn.
2 more weeks until homestead vacation, 4 more years till retirement

Attachment(s)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/23 21:13:25 (permalink)
We have pickles coming everyday. Already did a dozen pints. Beans, peas, beets and cukes are doing great also. Peppers are so-so right now. Still no ripe tomatoes besides grapes and cherries, tho. Rain this week then the heat made for quite the tropical climate. Everything is very thick and full. Hope all is well upstate with yinz.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/24 14:01:03 (permalink)
We finally got some good rain yesterday. At least enough to water the garden and fill the rain barrels. Not seeing anymore in sight until next week.
Cukes are cranking and the goal tonight is to start canning pickles. I picked 2 colanders of tomatoes and should have 2 more filled today so my daughter can make another 10 quarts of sauce. We know these are slicing tomatoes but we add romas to thicken the sauce. She's got it down to a science to get the maximum return on our tomatoes and we think its delicious.
Beans all got destroyed by deer so we will fence in the area for the fall batch.

Attachment(s)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/24 14:20:25 (permalink)
I'm going to put some beans for sure. I have more space but not sure what to put in? Any suggestions for a late batch of something?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/24 15:04:49 (permalink)
We do romane lettuce, spinach and bush beans for fall harvest

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/24 16:06:11 (permalink)
Trump OKays the Pebble Mine in Alaska.I don't think I can vote for this anti envornment president again.He cares less about the great outdoors,if there is a prospect of his mining and drilling friends to make a buck,he is for it no matter how much damage it does to wild ,pristine  places.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/24 17:47:41 (permalink)
No offense Fisher, but there are plenty of other threads for that, all due respects.

What about escarole, HT? I'd be sitting in the high cotton if I could plant her wedding soup material. 😁😁
JM2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1088
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/24 21:15:02 (permalink)
pafisher
Trump OKays the Pebble Mine in Alaska.I don't think I can vote for this anti envornment president again.He cares less about the great outdoors,if there is a prospect of his mining and drilling friends to make a buck,he is for it no matter how much damage it does to wild ,pristine  places.

Yes, and he's coming for peoples gardens next. I think you're jumping the gun by a good bit. I suggest you reread, or rewatch your source of information, unless of course it's just another bash Trump source, then you may have to look elsewhere.

There's already enough political misinformation in other threads, and forums of this site. No need to spread more of it to this thread.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/25 12:46:20 (permalink)
Do you guys pressure can your pickles?  Did my first batch of refrigerator bread and butter and we ate the quart so fast, it only lasted a couple days.  
Would like to try some kosher and more bread and butter and really "can" them this time.  Don't want them to get mushy though...

Been picking more and more tomatoes and just had crab cake sandwiches with fresh sliced brandywine tomatoes....ohhh....so.....good.....

I will need to can next week based on what my plants look like but it will mostly be eating maters....my san marzanos are a little slower to ripen.

I plant overflow maters next to my house in the rocks and this year, I have about a dozen or so volunteers coming up.  As long as we don't get frosted and I keep hitting them with miracle gro, they should keep producing well into October....
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/25 13:12:42 (permalink)
I've been so busy haven't had time to respond. It seems for every step forward, I take 2 steps backwards. Dishwasher pump just crapped out and pull strap for camper awning broke right at the top to can't just sew it together. Ugh!!
Anyway. I give JACK ( pafisher)all the slack he wants to say anything. I'm just grateful he's still here..

Garden:
Last night we pulled 1 of our standup freezers out to defrost and move it the new place nextdoor. Someday, I'll be missed when I'm gone because with people around here, I get almost no help with projects.
Ok, enough of my blubbering.
I cann all my pickles. Really haven't had a big problem with them being mushy as long as their done fresh and not over cooked in the canning process.
My wife has a really good new fangled pressure cooker and I'm going to give it a try on the next batch but for now I'm going tried and true.
Good luck finding any canning supplies.
Typically I use a premade store bought mix but there are none to be had so it's an old school recipe from my wife's grandmother preparing all ingredients separately. It adds on about 3 extra hrs.

Gotta run. Project help just walked in

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/25 13:42:37 (permalink)
The SierraClub,National Geo.,and Trout Unlimited have all reported on Trumps disdain for protecting wild places.He just does n't care about them.He is canceling Regulations that have been in place for years to protect National wild parks,it has been reported many times.
Rich,thank you for the compliment,I hope we get together again soon.But,this Virus thing is screwing up most plans for overnight fishing trips!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/25 16:10:33 (permalink)
HT nice of you to let pafisher air his grievance. No better place to listen to a bud's concerns, than "over the fence" while workin in a garden.

Pa I hope in the near future, we find the Sierra Club, etc, to be wrong and merely playing politics for money.

Eyes those "refrigerator pickles" are super addicting.

Anytime I had questions about canning I searched the "Penn State" web for canning and recipes.

Here is a link I hope answers your question about canning pickles.

https://extension.psu.edu...-quick-process-pickles

About your crabcake & tomatoe samidges. That will be enough of that, thankyou very much. [he said drooling] 🙃
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/07/25 16:16:15

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/25 17:16:08 (permalink)
Hopefully we can all someday gather our creative cooking skills together to have a real shebang.
Tonight is the last pork rib roast from last September, couple with local fresh corn and tater salad.
I'm hungry myself.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/07/25 18:44:30 (permalink)
I never actually "can " pickles just pour hot brine over cukes and place the lid. It seals fine and the brine is what preserves everything. I use 50/50 vinegar to water I like mine sour. Dill , garlic , onion to taste. Used alum and or grape leaves to keep them crunchy. Some are ,some aren't, but I actually like mine a bit mushy so all us good . Did it like that for years, just like granny and her mom. No processing.

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 56
Jump to: