Question about conventional reels

Author
jessy87
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2020/07/11 12:48:06 (permalink)

Question about conventional reels

My girlfriend bought me a Penn Special Senator 4/0 for my birthday. I didn’t realize this reel didn’t have a line guide for the spool like other baitcasters and other conventional reels have. So first question, how do you get the line on it evenly?
Second question, are there any brakes on this reel? I can’t seem to find anything except for the drag. There’s something by the clicker that says ball bearing that you can tighten, but that doesn’t seem to do anything. If there are no brakes, that’s fine I can get used to it. Just have never used a reel like this before and am kind of confused with it. I took it out today and my casting was all over the place. 30lb mono all the way through. Started out with a one ounce weight, then after the first cast and it was weird I upped it to 2 ounces and it was a bit better but still couldn’t quite get it down. If anyone has any tips for these types of reels, please let me know. I wasn’t able to find much on google.

3 Replies Related Threads

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Question about conventional reels 2020/07/14 13:25:37 (permalink)
    There are no brakes on that reel because it is not a casting reel.  Those are used almost exclusively for bottom fishing.  Around here in PA I'd say maybe big catfish or you might get some use trolling on Erie.  Though it is overkill for trolling.  That is a very common reel you'll see saltwater people using on either coast.  Solid reliable beginner outfit that will last a long time if you take care of it.  20lb of drag is enough for 3/4 of the fish you'd run into up and down the east coast.  
    spoonminnow
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Question about conventional reels 2020/12/10 05:37:17 (permalink)
    Agree. That's one mighty big reel and not one for casting nor using light lures. 
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re: Question about conventional reels 2020/12/10 07:59:43 (permalink)

post edited by Erie Mako - 2020/12/10 08:01:02

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Jump to: