Bowfin?

Author
chipmunk
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points: 0
2008/02/19 21:26:22 (permalink)

Bowfin?

I dont get to fish Erie too often but during my few trips I have caught 3 bowfin. (or mudfish as I'm used to calling them)

Its made me wonder:  Is this a somewhat common fish in erie or extremely rare and I have just been lucky or something?

I've never heard anyone else say theyve caught one there.

21 Replies Related Threads

cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/19 21:27:43 (permalink)
    ive caught them out of lebeouf lake, never heard of them out of lake erie though...
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/19 21:29:48 (permalink)
    I've seen two caught out of Presque Isle Bay.

I don't think they're that common. At least not like the sheephead.
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/19 21:32:31 (permalink)
    Presque bay wouldn't surprise me as much since it is shallower and weedier which is more similar to their usual habitat.  But two of mine were on the main lake.

(The other was in Lampe)
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/19 21:41:09 (permalink)
    I've seen a ton of them in cussewago creek.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/19 22:41:48 (permalink)
    I caught one in Somerset lake once.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/19 23:09:52 (permalink)
    Kill them and toss 'em on the bank...they'll destroy the bass habitat.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/19 23:15:16 (permalink)
    I see a ton of them in spring while bowfishing.  The stinkhole gets loaded with them.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/19 23:46:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

I seriously hope you are joking.  They were there long before bass showed up.  Even further I dont care if its a carp no one should be tossing anything on a bank to die.  At least play punt pass and kick with it.  In all seriousness I think any fisherman worth his salt will learn how to have fun catching something that many would rather see dead on a bank.  Taking advantage of every oppurtunity instead of fishing for whatever is shoved down our throats by espn and fly fishing america tv shows is what most of this country's fisherman are all about.  Many polls in the last decade show that bass and trout fisherman are really in the minority and really most of the non native fish in the lower 48 are from these families of fish.  So while some jagoff is throwing that bowfin on the bank or that native sucker in the woods during trout season the STOCKED steelhead and STOCKED rainbow or brownie will have more habitat to live their lives in a place they never were in the first place. 

Sorry for the rant but TT I hope you were not serious.  I show concern because it is also a candidate species which could become threatened or endangered according to the pfbc website. 
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 07:12:28 (permalink)
    Presque Isle is full of them.  Two buddies and I got into a huge school of them in a large weedbed last year while pitching for largemouths.  They are a lot of fun and fight ferociously. We could not keep them off our line so we just enjoyed ourselves and caught them the rest of the day.  They can be a lot of fun, just keep your fingers clear of them chompers
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 07:24:25 (permalink)
    Hmm...so it seems there are at least somewhat good numbers out there.  Still surprised me in 30fow.

In the south where I've caught them before people hate them intensely. 
    It would be like whitebass plus sheephead times goby for the erie fisherman.  I've saw a guy with a modified set of pliers designed to punch a whole in their head for a quick kill.  Occasionally they used the meat as bait but usually they would just kill it and throw it back.

But I kinda like them.  They can be surprizingly tough to catch, fight strongly and have a nasty habit of fighting even when you dont have a hook in them.  When you get it close to the boat they spit will your lure/bait at ya!

Those teeth can really rip you up.  They dont look as nasty as a pike's or walleye's but trust me they are much sharper!  (I know from experience)
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 10:37:06 (permalink)
    Used to catch them in the bay down by the old grain elevators when I first moved here 30 some years ago. I took them home, cleaned em up, cooked em myself, and ate em. Was not too bad eatin considering the secretary of war could not cook.
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 16:46:25 (permalink)
    I've seen them swimming the lower ends of elk in mid trout season.. couldn't convince em to bite. Wanted to see one out of the water...

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 17:35:59 (permalink)
    Avid, They love minnows.

Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 18:49:22 (permalink)
    Are there any in French Creek?  If so, I did catch one not knowing what it was while fishing for Musky.  Did manage 2 Musky out of the same area right after landing what might have been a Bowfin.   Anyone have an idea?

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 18:51:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: joebaker79

ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

I seriously hope you are joking.  They were there long before bass showed up.  Even further I dont care if its a carp no one should be tossing anything on a bank to die.  At least play punt pass and kick with it.  In all seriousness I think any fisherman worth his salt will learn how to have fun catching something that many would rather see dead on a bank.  Taking advantage of every oppurtunity instead of fishing for whatever is shoved down our throats by espn and fly fishing america tv shows is what most of this country's fisherman are all about.  Many polls in the last decade show that bass and trout fisherman are really in the minority and really most of the non native fish in the lower 48 are from these families of fish.  So while some jagoff is throwing that bowfin on the bank or that native sucker in the woods during trout season the STOCKED steelhead and STOCKED rainbow or brownie will have more habitat to live their lives in a place they never were in the first place. 

Sorry for the rant but TT I hope you were not serious.  I show concern because it is also a candidate species which could become threatened or endangered according to the pfbc website. 

I would never kill anything and toss it on the bank, thats what I have been told by Canadin lodge owners to do with bowfin though.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 18:57:56 (permalink)
    Tossing fish on the bank or bushes to die will cost anyone who does it- they call it - illegal disposition.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1664
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 19:46:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Grendel

Are there any in French Creek?  If so, I did catch one not knowing what it was while fishing for Musky.  Did manage 2 Musky out of the same area right after landing what might have been a Bowfin.   Anyone have an idea?

Doc

Doc,
    Lots of them in French Creek.
    Mike
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 19:49:39 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike - I was told that is what I probably caught - was really strange.   Even stranger was catching two Musky out of same area back to back. 

Thanks for letting me know! 

BTW - I did not fall that day!

Doc

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 19:52:26 (permalink)
    Have seen them in Brokenstraw too..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 20:03:51 (permalink)
    Pennsylvania
    Western Pennsylvania Bowfin info: 2 very good bowfin spots in the NW PA area are Presque Isle Bay of Lake Erie and Conneaut lake. The latter is a bowl shaped natural water of around 950 acres where many summer vacationers are frightened on a regular basis by latching on to bowfin! According to waterways patrolmen,one resident reported being chased down his dock by an angry ,aggressive bowfin after landing it!! Presque Isle Bay has extensive pond and lagoon areas,shallow and weedy, which hosts big populations of both bowfin and longnose gar. Both species are tremendously underfished due to Lake Erie's popular smallmouth bass,walleyes,and salmon. Even in the lagoons,largemouth,crappies,muskie,and panfish get the attention while bowfin and gar are plainly evident throughout the many channel arms.

Just found this information!

Doc

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bowfin? 2008/02/20 20:27:05 (permalink)
    Definitley in French creek.  I have caught them there when sampling.

Jump to: