Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/30 18:31:51 (permalink)
We got something in percipation last night as ground wet but quickly dried by 8am.
We got some long hrs outside in today and progress forward. Pool was on hit list before it got to hot. While my wanted drip system didn't materialize, I started a lawn sprinkler on barley moving and gave my plants something.
We are getting there with the garden . Cukes are in today. Not going to see much in way from cabbage family this year. All herbs are producing well and used daily.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/30 18:34:57

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/30 20:04:23 (permalink)
Lotta hard work right there. Fantastic job, everything looks great. Well done HT.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/31 16:01:35 (permalink)
For my neighborhood so might want to keep an ear tuned to your locations.

NWS

Active Weather Hazards
Linesville PA

330 PM EDT Sun May 31 2020

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for north central Ohio, northeast
Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania.

.DAY ONE, This afternoon and tonight.

Patchy frost will be possible overnight at a few locations. If you
are located in a typically cool location you may want to protect
tender vegetation.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/31 16:03:41

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/31 16:28:42 (permalink)
Got the hydroponic system assembled and running with the first line of 12 tomato plants in place.  Second line with the remaining tomato and pepper plants tomorrow.
post edited by troutbum21 - 2020/05/31 17:14:31

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/31 18:48:54 (permalink)
That's a sweet setup tb. I'd love to do peppers that way and maybe greens in the PVC system. My greens been hurting from drought conditions.
Homemade pizza tonight though, made dough, raised sausage, homemade sauce, fresh herbs and local grown mushrooms.
It works.
We spent a lot of quality time working in the outdoors this weekend, I'd say , time well spent. My grandson did well mowing the lawn and shooting the bow. He's excited.
Dinner bell calls.
When I wake up, I'll start over again.

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/31 18:54:30 (permalink)
Pizza looks great HT... did homemade pizza Thursday. Dough is an easy fix for me and it makes great pepperoni rolls also to have for snacks/lunches the next few days.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/31 19:36:12 (permalink)
Troutbum super set-up, congratulations. My son has strawberries along with veggies growing by hydroponic. Me, I got the buckets and tubing and that's as far as that goes. Thought it better not to assemble as we may be moving.

HT.... do you deliver? lol Pizza looks great. 🍻

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/31 20:40:32 (permalink)
My homemade pizza using unglazed fire brick to line the oven rack.

Attachment(s)

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/31 22:41:05 (permalink)
After a long day the wife and I got the garden planting finished. We put in 46 peppers, 50 tomatoes, 3 egg plant, 6 zucchini, 24 cucumber, approximately 150 onions, 3 dozen leeks, 2-30’ rows of beans, 5-30’ rows of sweet corn, along with some pumpkins and watermelon and what ever she put in her herb beds. Already had the peas, radishes, carrots and potatoes planted. Now hopefully the weather will cooperate. 

Attachment(s)

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/01 09:32:26 (permalink)
😳 Good grief Yote after reading all that.... I need a nap. lol

That is a nice layout. πŸ‘

Any update on your free-bees? They create a hive?

38 degrees for a low in my neighborhood this morning. Anybody get hit with frost as was advised by the NWS?

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/01 10:09:02 (permalink)
That's a nice plot yote. I only wish we had better soil instead of heavy clay.

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/01 10:30:38 (permalink)
BTDT, I slept good last night LOL
The 2 swarms of free bees seem to be doing well and I have another in a swarm trap to bring home tonight.

HT, Thanks. This dirt still pretty clay heavy but I've seen an improvement in the 3 summers I've owned it, thanks to a lot of compost, chicken manure along with buck wheat and rye plantings 

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/01 11:37:19 (permalink)
Yote great to hear bees are doing good and yet another swarm to make honey, on the way.

Garden looks great.... I am jealous. πŸ˜”

HT there is pro & cons to use of gypsum in breaking down clay. I never experienced the cons and once I began adding to my garden, my pepper plants never suffered "blossom rot". Not that pepper growing is the issue. But adding a little gypsum to other organic matter you mix in will help break down the heavy clay.

Just some food for thought.

Gotta go, speaking of food, I've worked an appetite.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/06/01 11:54:45

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/01 17:32:01 (permalink)
So this is what happens when we get no rain and use highly chlorinated, iron and magnesium town water supply. Funny they say it's safe for humans. Yeah, we don't drink the water. It turns my pool instantly green without a stabilizer then all the iron settles to the bottom.
My real only solution is to fill multiple barrels then let them settle for a week. I'm not sure without open air , the chlorine would dissipate.
The whole world seems upside down right now my garden is following.
Be well folks and thanks for sharing.

Attachment(s)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/01 19:48:00 (permalink)
Thats one thing we don't have to worry about. When we built in '16, we had to drill a well. The township ran new sewers but no water, go figure that one. Turns out, everything loves well water. I ran raw to the outside faucets. The plants do great with it, so far.

Still looks good. Those tomatoes will come back. Truss me.. jus say'IN.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/02 20:35:09 (permalink)
Everything we planted as seeds is popping. Beets, peas, beans and whatnot. All the pepper and tomato plants seem to be well on the way. Cuke zuke and pickle hills are growing nicely also. Forecast looks like a big sucko for rain but Ill take high 70s as many days as it'll give it. Screw that other crap.

Hope everyone is well, especially Clint. Good luck.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/02 20:52:52 (permalink)
Anybody trying pole beans or sweet peas?

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/03 08:29:43 (permalink)
Bought a couple small trellis' for my snow peas the other day.  They are finally "training" themselves to crawl up them. Almost ready to start blossoming.  
Have about a dozen zucchini blossoms on my mound.  

My "city" water isn't too bad but our flowers out front get watered regular with the canister from the dehumidifier and they definitely "love" that pure water.  

HT, not sure if it would be worth it to you or not but, I am sure you could rig up an inline water filter onto your main hose you use for the garden and get better water to your plants.

Might want to try something like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Mfg-Rv-Carbon-Water-Filter-40043/249436248?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227318959693&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=397887290611&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-839378746773&wl5=9006116&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=249436248&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsADZ-J4vy0WfpIU3srpFTH4-t2s_HUgI9euKsFw_i7R7qQSOZxit1I9JdSSEaAsiFEALw_wcB
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/03 08:54:08 (permalink)
Thanks for the link and info eyes. Yes that would be exactly what I should do. We have a treatment plant here at work and they also told me to add a carbon filter, thanks again for the reminder. I will have to just do it because we aren't getting any rain.
I tried pole beans last year and didn't have much success. They took far longer to mature and I got less harvest so we stick with 2 plantings of bush beans ( spring/ summer).
Peas also don't fare well for me. They start out great then wither in the heat to soon so we don't bother.
We also don't bother much with vegetables that aren't preservable or take to long to mature. For those things like radishes, melon , corn or potatoes we just buy from our local growers farms.

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3096
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/03 08:58:46 (permalink)
fishin coyote
BTDT, I slept good last night LOL
The 2 swarms of free bees seem to be doing well and I have another in a swarm trap to bring home tonight.

HT, Thanks. This dirt still pretty clay heavy but I've seen an improvement in the 3 summers I've owned it, thanks to a lot of compost, chicken manure along with buck wheat and rye plantings 

With the buckwheat and rye, did you mow it all in the spring before tilling under? I did cereal rye one time, planted in fall, and come spring it mowed it once, but I think it was too late. It was a nightmare to till under with my Cub Cadet RT45. I like the idea of cover crop, but not if it will be a PIA like last time.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/03 09:06:10 (permalink)
Gotta love them peas.

eyes I use(d) those filters with our RV. Definitely work and do last for quite some time.

Eventually bought a whole house water filter and plumbed it with male & female hose fittings and buy the carbon cartridges.

Here in my neighborhood it's pounding rain one minute and sunshine the next.

Stay green.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/03 09:19:26 (permalink)
Folks wishing to grow peas and beans but having difficulty may find the following of some help.

Nitrogen-fixing bacteria and organic compost for peas, beans and healthy soil.

Legume Inoculants Boost Yields, Keep Plants Healthy
By E. Vinje
Nitrogen-fixing bacteria and organic compost for peas, beans and healthy soil.

https://www.planetnatural.com/pea-inoculant/

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/06/03 09:21:22

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/03 09:56:38 (permalink)
PSU,
The buckwheat I planted was in the 1st year I made the garden cause it was late June till I got it cleared. I let it grow until it started to set seed then just tilled it. It has hollow stems and isn't to tough. Now I rarely plant it( only in spots were the veggies are done for the season) as it doesn't take the cold very well to do me any good. The rye I tried to have planted by mid/late Sept. then I just till it under in early spring as soon as I can get out there before it greens up to much. Some parts of it are tough to till and others aren't but it makes a difference in the soil.

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/03 12:17:10 (permalink)
Thanks FC
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/04 17:40:17 (permalink)
Lots work on horizon, no rain helping. We got 2 minutes of hail yesterday then 3 minutes of rain. It's been over 2 weeks since we've had any rain lasting more than an occasional 10 minutes cloud burst.
I filled 100 gallons town water in barrels so they can dissipate the chlorine and minerals.
Animals do fine with the water barrels float system, it's the garden that suffers.
My pool has become a daily problem and turning into a frog pond. A broken underground water line or 2 are suspected. The connections coming from underground to pump are toasted. Diverter valve, unions and clournitor old and creaky. Pump and filter, 5 years old and no problems.
Anyway, I threw my hands up to the wife and said no more. I got no time for the pool and time to hire out. I say fix it all and send me the bill.
Unfortunately, it may take a week to two because of course, coronavirus and everyone wants a pool in 87 degrees. I'd assume filling it in and planting a garden.
Oh well... be well and time for me to get busy.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/06/04 17:41:57

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/07 10:55:28 (permalink)
One step forward, two steps back here.
Yesterday I spent the majority of day investigating a broken water line underground for my pool. The elbow was broken on the skimmer intake. Had to spend 2 hrs going to 5 places to find a simple 1 1/2" barbed waterline elbow..
Finally put all back together and it ran ( better) but still something not right and still losing water slowly.
Today I'm digging up the other inlet line and the outlet line. .. Anyone with a bulldozer that want to come fill an inground pool in exchange for a pig ? Lol..
Next kick was that the cow I purchased, has no butcher available until late September.
My nephew just kinda figured getting it slaughtered would be no big deal as usual but when he called they are booked solid. I called my pig butcher and as is he . I'm not into just anyone cutting my foods so we will have to wait and hope.
Garden is starving of water. We got a 10 minute downpour yesterday and that's it. Still nothing in sight on the horizon. I've been drawing from the barrels filled with town water and water can. Tough to keep up..
At least we got the chickens on fresh grass and they are happy. Their fate will be July 7th.
With Rhode island extending the state campgrounds closed through 6/29. It shutdown our reservations there.
Thankfully we got into a private campground ( 2.5 times the price ) so I can spend 7 days clearing my mind and acquiring seafood. Yes, our 3 grandchildren are coming and we will acquire our quotas. My granddaughter is an excellent clammer.
The family lobster, clam and chicken bake will happen July 5th..
Be well, back to work for me

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/07 18:13:39 (permalink)
Project # 999 complete. Grandkids now have another swing set to play on.
Finally got my peppers planted also.
Grass can wait another day as its burning anyway.
4 more months until fall. πŸ€—,
Ice will be here before we know it.

Attachment(s)

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/08 07:37:41 (permalink)
hot tuna
One step forward, two steps back here.
Yesterday I spent the majority of day investigating a broken water line underground for my pool. The elbow was broken on the skimmer intake. Had to spend 2 hrs going to 5 places to find a simple 1 1/2" barbed waterline elbow..
Finally put all back together and it ran ( better) but still something not right and still losing water slowly.
Today I'm digging up the other inlet line and the outlet line. .. Anyone with a bulldozer that want to come fill an inground pool in exchange for a pig ? Lol..
Next kick was that the cow I purchased, has no butcher available until late September.
My nephew just kinda figured getting it slaughtered would be no big deal as usual but when he called they are booked solid. I called my pig butcher and as is he . I'm not into just anyone cutting my foods so we will have to wait and hope.
Garden is starving of water. We got a 10 minute downpour yesterday and that's it. Still nothing in sight on the horizon. I've been drawing from the barrels filled with town water and water can. Tough to keep up..
At least we got the chickens on fresh grass and they are happy. Their fate will be July 7th.
With Rhode island extending the state campgrounds closed through 6/29. It shutdown our reservations there.
Thankfully we got into a private campground ( 2.5 times the price ) so I can spend 7 days clearing my mind and acquiring seafood. Yes, our 3 grandchildren are coming and we will acquire our quotas. My granddaughter is an excellent clammer.
The family lobster, clam and chicken bake will happen July 5th..
Be well, back to work for me

I hate that stinkin' black pipe....darn, if you were only closer...I have several of those elbows laying in my "parts" box for my pool plumbing!  That stuff is so brittle now..........after all these years. Several times it has just split on me when I tried to insert the elbows and valve ends.  Good luck on finding/repairing your problem.  I see that you have put the rubber flex couplings on.  I had to do that right at my filter but not sure I'd be brave enough to bury it in the ground....

In other news, snow peas are blossoming and I have a 4-5" cucumber.  Should be picking it later this week....some little maters forming, most of my plants are starting to get blossoms.  

Looks like we should all get some good rain on Wed./Thur. when the remains of Cristobal scoot through.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/08 08:30:40 (permalink)
Indirect heating that stupid ABS stuff (just til it looks sweaty) before inserting/removing fittings and/or tightening clamps makes for funner work.

Extreme caution if using a gas fired torch. Do not apply direct flame as you will overheat in seconds and likely end up with a deformed glob of tubing.😣 and pizsed at me.πŸ˜•

If the dry spell continues All'yall with gardens and lucky enough to have a boat, may need to head to the lake to haul y'all some water. 😏

psu_fish
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/06/08 09:19:24 (permalink)
There is not a roadside spring around you, HT?
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 56
Jump to: