Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 56
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/26 10:59:02 (permalink)
More. Easy to do with phone. PIA from computer.
post edited by Porktown - 2020/05/26 11:00:07

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3412
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/26 11:04:36 (permalink)
Word!!

The smaller plot is a raised bed, I built at my brother in laws. Its 11 x 9. I've had those composite boards from when they built the deck. They went to good use. Thanks again T!!

I strung 25lb mono on those posts around the perimeter, definelty keeps the deer out.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2020/05/26 11:08:46
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/26 20:42:32 (permalink)
Well I lost a few plants to the heat. New med is giving me immense headaches. My broccoli, sprouts and cabbage got hit the worse, going to buy some plants to make up. For the most part I am in though. Going to wait on my next batch of taters to try to miss the bugs

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.ย  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/26 21:03:38 (permalink)
Nice plot pen.
This heat took a toll on my lilacs. They were beautiful on Friday, toasted today. Just finished moving my camper to hangout status. Gives us great shade and outside tunes. I'm all in except cukes and basil . Forget to buy seeds and you think you can buy any seeds or even plants around here now, forget it.
If your looking to sell a house in upstate ny, now is the time.. Animals don't like the heat either. Moved chicken tractor to some fresh shady grass. They growing well. Sprayed pigs with hose for 15 minutes and they loved it.
Next up is the swimming pool (ugh).. probably a full weekend project.
How can we go from zero to 60 in 60 seconds ? A Neil young song..

Now my rant.
Stay home, stay safe. I'm about to puke everytime I hear of see that slogan.
The only thing I've felt uncomfortable in this whole time was a Walmart and I've only been twice in 4 months. GROSS !!
Lastly, if I gotta wear a mask, I'm not going.. it's a shoot show in those places and very strange.
Be well and turn off the news, build a garden..
Just a few of my boxes.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/26 21:05:52

Attachment(s)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/26 22:36:20 (permalink)
HT, about your latest rant, no argument from me. Tends to get a little spooky wondering "who was that mask man.

Weather is different here in NW PA too. This time last year, my yard was like walking on a sponge and I was getting videos of our road looking like a stream from surface run off, couple times a week. This year, the ground is solid and now if the stupid grass would just quit growing, so dad burn fast.

Your "gentlemans farm" is looking good and I hope you are blessed with a bountiful harvest.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/26 22:48:21 (permalink)
In the camper picture, that was a mud pit 2 weeks ago. Now you couldn't drive a wooden stake in with a sledgehammer.
Every year I say I'm good better with my garden and farm. Every year I change something, then I think of something I could have done better after. I guess when i stop learning, I'm dead..
We need rain..

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/27 06:10:27 (permalink)
Just watchin our weather forecast and it looks like we have rain due for deliverly Thurs.- Fri. and shipping is free.

Then out pops the sun & drys up all the rain with high temps back in the mid 60s again.

Hope ya get the overnight soaking rains when ya need em. Fooey on those hard down pours and fast runoff gully washers.

Old saying, "ya can't teach an old dog new tricks".... well I'm here to tell ya, this old dog ain't about to quit learning.

Good times and thanks for the memories.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837โ€“1919)~

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/27 08:42:23 (permalink)
Man, you guys with all that space for a big garden make me jealous.....
My little 4' x 40' strip behind my pool ain't got nothing on you fellers....looking good.

Hate having to water every day now.  Even the pool needs water again after this weekend (4 days of kids splashing it all out will do that!).  I think it will start to suck air here today...

I didn't have to water the garden once last year.  Hoping we get a good amount tomorrow and Friday...
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/27 14:29:13 (permalink)
We just got my brother in law's plants in. Of course they lied again, wasn't suppose to be too bad today. Nice try!! Hopefully this rain coming gives us a little water boost.

Good luck all, hopefully everyone's green thumb comes through. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/27 20:03:23 (permalink)
Toasted is the only word I can apply today.
86 was not at warm as 91 yesterday but damage is being done.
Vacuumed 300lb pool filter sand out and replaced 300 new. First time done on this filter since bought 13-15 years ago.
Mechanically, pool ( fingers ๐Ÿคž) its ready to run. Tomorrow I'll wire up the breaker and hope no geysers, I'm sure to have gasket or connection problems.

After that, after working the job, had to dispatch a broken leg chicken. Maybe I ran it over moving the pen, either way I'm down 9 from my initial purchase.
Sure as heck hope it rains and plays nice . Didn't have time to water garden and rain barrels are tapped anyway.
Someday the craziness will subside.. I like winter, just not snow so much.
Going to do all I can this summer and fall to harvest and stock
the heck in our pantries and now 4 freezers for the long haul ahead .
Got to get me some free power and we be golden.
You must pass this sticker before entering my house, lol
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/27 20:04:33

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 09:08:08 (permalink)
.......and the rains came. Well, for Ohio & West Pennsylvania for now and the system is following the same path as the past three rain makers.... due north.

Areas not needing more rain getting another soaking while others continue to bake.

From our Northwest comes yet more rain and with it high temps. in the mid 60ish range.

HT hang in there, we'll try and send it your way.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/28 09:12:11

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 10:32:24 (permalink)
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒง๐ŸŒง๐ŸŒง๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 11:23:02 (permalink)
Send some here. Was supposed to but not going to happen. I'd we don't get the t storms tomorrow , big trouble ahead

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3098
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 12:08:48 (permalink)
What is everybody's preference for mulching around onions, garlic and vegetables? Straw or grass clippings from yard?

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 13:35:12 (permalink)
I like straw best and works well mostly for retaining moisture but my farmers are out so I just used a fine wood mulch. First time so I can't comment on that.

Attachment(s)

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 13:40:55 (permalink)
I use grass clippings from my yard(cause there's no chemicals) around my peppers and between the rows of beans. I use straw around my onions and strawberries though

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 14:17:41 (permalink)
I used to use grass clippings in my garden but when I got my soil tested again, my Potassium was sky high!  Grass mulch is rich in Nitrogen and Potassium...I have taken the last couple years off from using grass clippings and just use weed screen now.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 15:45:15 (permalink)
HT the rain passing through my neighborhood is heading into Canada and the cold front from our Northwest looks a though it may have stalled but growing north to south. Some interesting stuff going on out that way.

Gooder part, is the system 'neaking up the eastern seaboard. Hopefully that will bring a good soaking rain for your neighborhood.

I've seen mention of deer fence and use of fabric/mulch for weed control but I wonder, anybody having problems from rabbits?

I been seeing the critters everywhere around my place and at all times of the day too.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/28 15:46:58

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 17:23:39 (permalink)
I haven't had a bunny problem even though I see them on the front lawn now and then.
Woodchucks were a different story. They would mow all my plants as soon as they got leaves. About 5 or so years ago, I put 9 to eternity rest one season. Started using the 22 but they got keen if I missed so the 12 gauge didn't. Haven't had an issue since.
Dang deer are my nemesis. They are smart and wait until the fruits set then chow down.
Found things they don't like :
Garlic, herbs, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli.
The sky looks promising ( of course now that I got home from JOB and have work to do ) but no droplets yet. Tonight its supposed to be clear so hopefully something happens between 8 & 11.
Gave my son 25 tomato plants I had no time and space left to maintain them in pots anymore.

Daily rant :
Enough is enough. The governors are really setting precedence on our freedoms and out of control. Masks, ok wear if you want but not if you don't. Mandatory testing by employers, FU. No concert entertainment allowed, the new normal. Church to the public. man they have put so much into people's heads that I'm hearing Jefferson airplane singing white rabbit over and over.
Mass media is what really makes me feel unsafe in this country and the government is using it to full advantage.
I remember a place called pucker bush creek here that got published day after day to get followers and in turn respect for personal gain.
It goes without saying, if you keep a mushroom in the dark and feed it poop, it will grow.
Sorry, I'm getting overwhelmed by the new daily changes and restrictions that aren't lifted while head scratch ones are ok...

Peace and tuna
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/28 20:01:28

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/28 20:20:01 (permalink)
I use burlap and then leaves for my garlic and strawberries. Mulch in the fall and the left overs go on in spring. The burlap decomposes and allows the berries to lay suckers down on top and through. Put 100 strawberries in today as well as the remaining plants. Slow going as I 1try not to get over exerted or too hot due o the heart. Still some beans, peas and taters and corn to put in , but I stage that stuff every 2 weeks to stagger when it comes in. Hope it rains tonight

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.ย  ~Babylonian Proverb

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 12:47:51 (permalink)
We got some good rain and T-storms here last night just east of PGH.  My pool water level went up at least an inch, maybe a little more, overnight.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 13:11:02 (permalink)
While it looked promising last night, not a drop fell.
Hot and humid today, maybe my plants will a much needed drink this afternoon

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 13:53:27 (permalink)
We got rain in my neighborhood during the night too but this morning, out popped the sun and I was on my mower again... until down came the rain and chased me and the mower back in the garage again.๐Ÿ˜ก

Goofy weather for sure. System out of the NW disappeared during the night as did the system 'neaking up the east coast and now are again active, along with a system coming through WV that's gonna be cuttin' through central PA on it's way to NY.

Hopefully enough sunlight remains keeping the systems energized and a good soaking rain finds it way to your gentleman's farm HT.

Meanwhile, out popped the sun and for me, it's on the mower again.๐Ÿ˜ 
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/29 13:56:10

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 15:11:11 (permalink)
We got a little last night and its pourin pourin right now here. Gully washer. Hope it swings up your way, HT. ๐Ÿคž
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 19:47:43 (permalink)
We got enough to water everything up good. My berries should sprout well.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 19:48:32 (permalink)
It's a coming. Just finished garden, farm and pool work.
I hear the thunder that surrounded the eastern blue sky.
Tomorrow is another day.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 20:26:16 (permalink)
Not good. It blew right north and east of me. Less than 5 minutes of sprinkling. Drought times here. I see a drip line going in tomorrow for the garden and filling rain barrels with my chlorine water to settle so I can utilize them again.
Just a little break now and then be nice peace of mind thinking I'm not a total fool.

Attachment(s)

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 20:35:49 (permalink)
Ugh. That suxs. We got dumped on for about an hour. Like you said, fill those barrels. Maybe something will hit up there soon. Good luck.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 21:03:50 (permalink)
There is a rain dance just for you Rich,hope it brings a monsoon to your neck of the woods!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2020/05/29 22:13:40 (permalink)
HT we're trying to get ya some rain...โ€ฆ.

eww the radar didn't look so good this morning.

Hopin ya got a soakin overnight.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2020/05/30 06:58:43

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 56
Jump to: