Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 34
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2020/03/28 17:51:41 (permalink)
Today and most every weekend or down time ,
I turn off the news. I try to share fun stuff and adventures along my stumbled path.
We kicked azz on stacking firewood while the frost was still on. Then I progressed to picking my jon boat up from my son 3 miles up the road. Fresh gas, new lower unit oil and the 9.9 Yamaha purrs nice. Modified an 8 foot with drop down gate trailer to precisely accommodate my 14 foot jon boat and motor.
Had a load of nice dirt and 2 full grown pear trees planted just past noon.
Helped neighbor bulldoze some fill .
The rains started. Did a campfire yard burn.
No pictures today but it was fun stuff hanging outside, no better place of rather be.
Hopefully some fish pictures tomorrow .
I want to catch a golden dorato. No Corona

Be well and have fun
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/03/28 17:53:19

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 04:34:14 (permalink)
A great day with the fairy wand and lucky rabbit  fly. Double digits and all decent pre-spawners. I literally jumped and yelled in pure joy. I guess I'm easily amused. Fun stuff is appropriate. Good luck to all kickin' the Spring into gear.  Stay safe and watch your top knot, lots of the careless and selfish out there. Lots of great people, too, Thank God.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 07:31:54 (permalink)
GREAT Charlie- glad someone is fishing.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 09:37:44 (permalink)
That’s just fabulous. Congrats on being out there and having fun!

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 12:04:23 (permalink)
Loving that smile! Something good is a welcome sight right now! Be good and keep on having fun.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 17:28:26 (permalink)
Right on fichy !!
There are some stripers and herring in the area now.
If you got free time and interest in island camping, your yak and tent would put you right on the island where we fished in Jon boat.
I don't know what's happening with me anymore. Work is a mess, marinas are a mess and daisy mae is a mess.
My season will probably be old school jon boat and island camping.
There is a prime area for the taking. It only gets used in summer

Keep the pictures and smiles coming brother
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/04/06 17:30:31

Attachment(s)

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 19:52:58 (permalink)
hot tuna
Right on fichy !!
There are some stripers and herring in the area now.
If you got free time and interest in island camping, your yak and tent would put you right on the island where we fished in Jon boat.
I don't know what's happening with me anymore. Work is a mess, marinas are a mess and daisy mae is a mess.
My season will probably be old school jon boat and island camping.
There is a prime area for the taking. It only gets used in summer

Keep the pictures and smiles coming brother

I was hoping that was the case!  I loved catching stripes in the jonboat, had an absolute blast. Have really wanted to camp on the island, too. I'm lit up, brother.  Thanks for making my day.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 20:03:25 (permalink)
We needed to unwind after work so with the family we took a walk out behind house to visit the neighbors. Paid respect

Attachment(s)

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 20:10:38 (permalink)
Mighta known --you two are the only ones fishing.
And CATCHING.

Good work.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 20:47:17 (permalink)
Trevor, I'm on the slack end of fishing lately, especially the catching. I can only imagine a person by the name fichy is having much better success.
Good to know good people like y'all

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/06 22:12:43 (permalink)
I had all intentions of going today it was beautiful out. Farm work got in the way. I will go at least one day after work this week

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/07 06:10:37 (permalink)
Hope you get some droppies before they're gone, Clint. I'd love to spend a day out there, but an hour's drive is about my rec and medical limit. Catch some for us.  HT's island paradise is calling me and in range.  I'm going to stay away from his graveyard, though........  A few fish need to be caught first........   my numbers are getting better, I'm fighting tooth and nail  .  My oncologist smiled ear to ear last blood work, much like me with the smallies. Terminal is off the table.  Whatever it takes. 
  I'm going to try and hang some barn doors today on  the project I stopped in early Feb.. Vacation's over.   I was supposed to be in the Grand Canyon right now in the middle of a 70 mile trip. It's closed, so we would have been cancelled even if I had been healthy. Small favors. Tell the truth, local adventures call just as loud.
Get out there, folks!

Edit:   Barn doors went well, well, well. No going back, now.

post edited by fichy - 2020/04/07 16:32:00
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/04/09 08:22:43 (permalink)
By the way, getting out there doesn't mean I'm anywhere near other people. The barn is out in a field, the Hudson where I fished was 1/4  mile to the nearest dwelling or person. I spend much more time masked and fighting for distance in my endless rounds of medical procedures and appointments.  
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/09 10:35:08 (permalink)
Been  longggg time since any Sr fishing reports- sad to say.
Woulda thought some locals, at least, woulda been out and posted.
If I still had my place up there this week and next would be bout my last for Steel.
Some seasons could find fish - and few if any fisherfolks -till mid May.

Seems Turkeys here in Ct have decided to go south or sumpthing cause my friends are having no luck and I cant even hear any.
Hate it when numbers crash on any species I like to hunt or fish.

Steel seem to be coming back and  ya cant even go up to go after them with this darned  Covis carp.
Oh well maybe next year.

post edited by r3g3 - 2020/05/09 10:37:34
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/09 12:34:24 (permalink)
We've had no hot days, 2 sunny spring days last Saturday and Sunday that's really it for our spring so far. Its snowed at least once a week the last 4. If. Its not snow, its usually gloomy.
From my short term browser it looks like heat wave gonna hit on Wednesday. Not mildly but hot and warm nights. Going from freezing to cooking is no fun. Bugs will be atrocious.
Finally abandoned the idea of putting my daisy mae into water this striper season. It's parked again where it winters over.
One last hurrah on my mighty muddy in next 7 days then pulling all stakes to that fishery.
Memorial weekend has always been a fun stuff at deer camp weekend. Atvs, big fires and some shenanigans.
Super scaled down this year. Me, 2 sons, granddaughter ( on her first hunt) and grandson. As trevor said before, it's not the harvest but the experience of being there.
I do miss the GREAT LAKE ONTARIO, I do miss the river fishing.
Maybe someday again in my lifetime

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/11 20:50:12 (permalink)
Welll- live and learn- ya gots ta read the book-
All my life ya bought a fishing tag and went fishing-
Then ya hadda get a salt tag too below the lowest bridge for salt fishes-
As I got old ya got a free tag'-
Then ya didn't anymore-
Soooo gets me a fishing tag every year - now 72 of them-

OOOkkkkk so there are these little signs on trees here and there with pictures of trout on them-
I don't read them-
Seen trout before and know what they look like--

Today, with a full basket of trouts, stopped and read the little sign-
If ya wants to trout fish , along with your fishing tag ya gots to buy a Trout/Salmon special tag for 5 bucks-
Salmon sounds nice- 
WE DONT HAVE FISHABLE SALMONS-

Besides I don't have the legal Trout Salmon tag anyhow---
When did that start ?

I am a poacher now-- 

Well up to City Hall dressed  with a mask gloves and body suit to buy the required Trout tag for 5 bucks--
News says somebody in the clerks office just came down with Covis but they are open anyhow-- ( true)--

Always heard bout oldies being stuck in their ways' -
Guess Im one of them-

Gotta wonder what else I might be missing----

Didnt know or care till I stopped and read that dopy sign-

Should I just revel in my oblivious state and never read or expand my limited knowledge ??
Not sure but wish I never read that sign and HADDA RISK MY LIFE GOING TO CITY HALL--

post edited by r3g3 - 2020/05/12 08:50:10
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/12 08:52:54 (permalink)
haha...ignorance of the law is no excuse, mr. retired law man!  :-)  heheheh...glad you didn't get pinched before you realized....and now you know.  

I rarely, if ever, fish for pelletheads here in PA but I buy the combo stamp in case I ever get the chance to get back to lake Erie and possibly catch a steelhead....
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/12 11:34:10 (permalink)
r3g3 The trout/salmon tag started three years ago.  I make my donation to CT each year, $68 for fresh, salt and T/S tag as I fish the Housy.  I get the salt water tag because I never know when I might be with someone in CT waters.    

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/12 17:20:47 (permalink)
Fun stuff is when your building fires inside on May 12th, instead of outside.. ugh.
I try and understand and research the regulations for any place I intend to fish.. yup, some are quite strange and not understandable at times, especially the saltwater clamming as they can change frequently.
I'm to the point of just trying to do our best as outdoors folks and be respectful of our surroundings.
I'd take a ticket over respect for the game over a regulations if another seen it differently in their eyes.
Anyway, hopefully the fun stuff starts back up on Thursday when all these chilly winds blow away

Attachment(s)

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/12 20:16:27 (permalink)
The clamming is closely regulated because some red tide or other biological /chemical contaminant and your dead. Water quality is monitored. That,  and it's a popular way to make money for the locals, so it's controlled, rather than let  it be a free for all.  I just got two salt licenses to add to NY.  Cost me   3.63.  Why bother?  My favorite beach reservation in the world opens  up for season parking permit holders /members next Tuesday.  I just got my usual miles of empty estuary striper heaven back. I got a 30 lber on the fly last year back in the spartina grass, maybe I'll get a repeat. 
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/12 20:18:07 (permalink)
A cold one tonight HT.  Supposed to get down to 29 in the Mid Hudson Region.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/12 20:34:13 (permalink)
Thought about putting 10 more chicks out tonight but will wait .
Also thought about sneaking a day after work tomorrow but alas, 14 mph winds, I'll wait.
Thursday I hope things open up for the better.
Fichy , I hope your adventures also open up on the coast.
I have coworkers that resident on boats there and not able to get to them.
I haven't seen yet where non residents are allowed to buy a license or camp . I'm hoping for late June.
Red tides come into play a little but its mostly growing, management areas and harvest rates in the bays we frequent.
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/12 20:36:07

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/13 11:39:27 (permalink)
hot tuna
Thought about putting 10 more chicks out tonight but will wait .
Also thought about sneaking a day after work tomorrow but alas, 14 mph winds, I'll wait.
Thursday I hope things open up for the better.
Fichy , I hope your adventures also open up on the coast.
I have coworkers that resident on boats there and not able to get to them.
I haven't seen yet where non residents are allowed to buy a license or camp . I'm hoping for late June.
Red tides come into play a little but its mostly growing, management areas and harvest rates in the bays we frequent.

If you don't know, it must be impossible.  If you can't record it for the selfie-infested internet it can't and didn't happen.  Thanks for warning me off your home waters, I learned a valuable lesson. Next time I want to engage in a passive-aggressive pizzing match I'll stop by. 
post edited by fichy - 2020/05/14 07:55:20
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/17 09:08:24 (permalink)
Right, I don't know and only reading updates from the DEM off the internet.
We won't be able to go to RI and self quarantine inside for 14 days then be allowed to participate in activities after such time. We are also required to buy a non residents shellfish license and they are currently not available .
Some things may not always be what they seem. My mother and sister are highly susceptible to this virus. I would also suspect others with compromising immune systems are as well . Given the fact that my daughter is working directly with covid 19 patients, I'm on direct contact with enormous amounts of people at work and in public places and my wife is also a nurse , the chances of me having or carrying the virus is extremely high. I have not been in contact with my mother and sister who live right next door since early March. It would be extremely careless to put someone at risk.
People can think what they wish and I can't change others thoughts. It really dosen't matter because life goes on.
I have actually fished very little this year and decided to pull my boat out of the water and write another striper season off .
Be well.

Attachment(s)

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/17 09:40:16 (permalink)
Great photo Rich.
Things are not the same now and hopefully will someday return to  'normal'.
Till then gotta make the most of it.
Been living like a hermit and getting tired of it.
I see that Pulaski area has opened up a bit -albeit late for river fishing.
Perhaps in the Fall-----
post edited by r3g3 - 2020/05/17 10:25:58
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/17 10:40:10 (permalink)
Great photo what a whopper.... dadburn fish is longer than the beam of the boat.

Congratulations.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/25 14:30:26 (permalink)
So back to time warp where things should be. 3 days in the woods. Not shooting turkeys or catching fish but it was a heck of fun trying. On the hills and sticks where I play its strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand still. Masks are for villains ( not to say negative but). .
Life was good. Freeing my mind was helpful.
We met many people in the woods just loving the outdoors, doing what's right.
As I came back to a " civilized he!! " ( a POTR song,) things switched like a lightbulb. People in their open space yards wearing masks. People in cars wearing masks.. strange times indeed.
I don't know what lies ahead but I only wish more fun times as today we have a mass gathering of friends and family on our homestead.
To quote Bruce Wayne,
Let that be a lesson. In future, be more careful from who you accept free lemonade
post edited by hot tuna - 2020/05/25 14:34:51

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/05/27 21:28:34 (permalink)
Here we go .. fear., Propaganda and media remembering Live Aid. Buckle up . I called it. Fun times of strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand are history for my lifetime.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/06/03 08:04:55 (permalink)
Not so fun stuff. The world has gone crazy and things are getting even worse. Members of my family are police officers and fathers of families of their own. I fear for their safety far more than covid 19 itself.
That said :
At 1am Tuesday morning we had an attempted home invasion at my house. Believe me, I will take no prisoners and will defend my property and family at all costs.
While we were sleeping we were awoken by a loud banging on our front door as dogs went nuts barking. My wife went to the door to find a mid 20's woman on the porch asking for help and trying to push her way into our house. The wife yelled for me and I ran to the door and kicked it closed then ran to the locker for our home protection equipment. As I returned this person was still trying to get inside the house saying her boyfriend beat her and she needed help. We offered to call the police and we saw no physical injuries but could tell she was intoxicated. We told her to wait in the yard and we would call for help.
As my wife was calling the authorities, our fire whistle went off and the woman ran away. While on the phone with authorities they said they heard the siren and asked if it was the police. My wife explained it was fire alarm the authorities said they had a report of a car accident on our street and police are responding.
As it turned out, this woman was partying with so called protestors and stolen a car then crashed it followed by leaving the scene.
She was caught and sent to jail.
We also found out she has a long criminal history.

Be safe folks. Keep your doors locked and your powder dry

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2020/06/03 09:35:10 (permalink)
Glad it worked out- good on the 'home protection equipment'.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 34
Jump to: